• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Ithil

It's basically just an updated version of the Gorgeous George gimmick. It'd work for him as an upper-midcard guy who could main event a PPV once or twice against a strong face champion.

You could still turn it around, but it's WWE so I'm not expecting it.

Gorgeous George, who was the biggest star in the world when he was on top and inspired nearly the entire modern concept of a heel?
Not saying Breeze is that on any level, but his gimmick can be easily tweaked to be less wacky. He didn't even get a chance to be anything.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
There's no reason to add Lesnar into it other than diluting the match and your star power. They actually already did that with Orton a while back.

It could make sense if your story shifts back to "Bork the destroyer" heel and you want to go down that route for a couple of years. Though laying it out, it's fairly convoluted, so I think you're right.

WWE has no really over heels - Owens is good but is stuck fighting the hardcore fans (who want to cheer him), as is the New Day; and everyone else just generates apathy more or less. The modern nuclear heat heel is going to be an Eva Marie type - someone who engenders hatred on a slightly more meta level.

WWE has a handful of major aces in the hole storyline wise
1) Cena Heel Turn
2) Bork loses clean
3) Reformation of the Shield
4) Authority is fired (which they used already-ish)

Personally, I think if you're going to try to ignite WWE, Cena heel turn at WM (on Taker or Reigns), allying with the Authority, leading to heel SuperCena running roughshod over the WWE (storyline being Cena is unwilling to lose his spot at all cost) - leading to Bork winning the RR from #1 before WM 33 next year, and then facing SuperCena in Minneapolis. I think that would be an insane angle and an insane crowd. Have Cena go full hypocrite from the Rock angle, where he becomes a part time champion who goes off and shoots movies.

It could make sense if your story shifts back to "Bork the destroyer" heel and you want to go down that route for a couple of years. Though laying it out, it's fairly convoluted, so I think you're right.

WWE has no really over heels - Owens is good but is stuck fighting the hardcore fans (who want to cheer him), as is the New Day; and everyone else just generates apathy more or less. The modern nuclear heat heel is going to be an Eva Marie type - someone who engenders hatred on a slightly more meta level.

1) Cena Heel Turn
2) Bork loses clean

Personally, I think if you're going to try to ignite WWE, Cena heel turn at WM (on Taker or Reigns), allying with the Authority, leading to heel SuperCena running roughshod over the WWE (storyline being Cena is unwilling to lose his spot at all cost) - leading to Bork winning the RR from #1 before WM 33 next year, and then facing SuperCena in Minneapolis. I think that would be an insane angle and an insane crowd.

I need this to happen..But it wont.

jmdajr

Raw got the Vince Bump

Is,really is 1998

biDFHU0.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only problem with a lot of the Japanese hosses is that they're much shorter than their counterparts. It's not the be all to end all, but it is a big deal in my eyes. Uphill battle.

Still, they're some tough fuckers.

It's all about booking. BJW's Strong Division books around them so that you think these dudes are leviathans.

It's how you prevent this
hqdefault.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's all about booking. BJW's Strong Division books around them so that you think these dudes are leviathans.

It's how you prevent this
hqdefault.jpg
Man... That was character assassination there.

If there was a Hoss Invitational, they'd have to do some creative stuff. Japanese dudes take some serious exchanges on the reg that Americans and Europeans don't, so they'd need to work with that. It could be done though.

Verendus

Banned
Do they even have enough guys to fill out the card if they do that? WM is like 4 hours. I mean, you still got Reigns, Ambrose, Owens, Lesnar, Cena and Taker, but odds some of those guys are fighting each other.
Reigns vs. Lesnar
Cena vs. Taker
Ambrose vs. Jimmy Hit Me With That Triple Haitch
League of Nations vs. The Wyatts
Owens vs. ???

I think the last Wrasslin'Mania only had 7 matches on the show. So, this would be about right. You could add in a match for the tag titles and a women's wrestling match, and you have 7 once more.

The absence of Orton, Rollins, and Sting is noticeable though. Had they been around, you'd actually be able to create a pretty strong card here. If just Orton had been around, you could put him in with Owens for a pretty great match.

I think 7 matches isn't bad as long as they give a solid 20 minutes to the major matches. A lot of the big Wrasslin'Manias with a lot of matches end up being lacklustre because you inevitably get a bunch of rushed matches. Less is probably more now with WWE being so overproduced.

Man... That was character assassination there.

If there was a Hoss Invitational, they'd have to do some creative stuff. Japanese dudes take some serious exchanges on the reg that Americans and Europeans don't, so they'd need to work with that. It could be done though.

Who'd you bracket? I don't know the US or Japanese hoss scene well. Europe you've got at least Rampage, Mastiff, Walter and Damo. If you wanted more there's Dante (though I've never seen him in a singles match).

Anth0ny

More details on the Viewership for 12/14:

8pm: 4.043
9pm: 3.786
10pm: 3.825

Avg: 3.885

Wow all the missing viewers returned for this Raw. Plus viewership increased in the 3rd hour and Reigns title win got the 3rd hour the highest 18-49 viewership.

Night one was a success.

what the fuck?

they didn't advertise vince's return beforehand, did they?

I guess TLC had people curious for that first hour?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

1) Cena Heel Turn
2) Bork loses clean

Personally, I think if you're going to try to ignite WWE, Cena heel turn at WM (on Taker or Reigns), allying with the Authority, leading to heel SuperCena running roughshod over the WWE (storyline being Cena is unwilling to lose his spot at all cost) - leading to Bork winning the RR from #1 before WM 33 next year, and then facing SuperCena in Minneapolis. I think that would be an insane angle and an insane crowd. Have Cena go full hypocrite from the Rock angle, where he becomes a part time champion who goes off and shoots movies.

What I'm saying is that if you have a WrestleMania, and you put three of your biggest guys in the main event, adding a fourth who is a special attraction all on his own to that event gives you less star power overall for the entire event.

As a 11-year-old mark, I could never get behind Diesel being the WWF Champion because I always said, "Dude, that's Vinnie Vegas and Erik Watts beat him in 5 minutes once."

Toki767

I think there are about a million people who still pay attention to WWE but just don't want to watch Raw unless something special is happening.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm not sure how to feel after last night. I'm not in some smark rage about Roman winning, but it just kinda makes my interest in WWE at an all-time low. Then you've got Rollins, Cesaro, and Bryan all out and it becomes hard to keep interest in the product. I mean, there's still a bunch of cool shit happening with Takeover London, WrestleKingdom X, and Lucha Underground's return all happening in the span of a month. So I guess I'll just keep some tabs on Raw for a while, probably until the around the Royal Rumble happens.

klonere

Banned
I think there are about a million people who still pay attention to WWE but just don't want to watch Raw unless something special is happening.

If that hypothetical million does exist, WWE just blew their load on a whole bunch of the options to bring them back last night.

Seriously they packed a HHH injury angle, Vince coming back, Vince being physically involved, a WHC title match on Raw and a new WHC champion on Raw. That's a fuckton of things to do in one night....

Lana in trouble for endangering kayfabe by getting married in real life. Luckily they have fine examples set by their bosses to make up for her lapse in judgement.
They got married? And is she actually in trouble? They brought her back TV kinda quick.

Kaladin

If that hypothetical million does exist, WWE just blew their load on a whole bunch of the options to bring them back last night.

Seriously they packed a HHH injury angle, Vince coming back, Vince being physically involved, a WHC title match on Raw and a new WHC champion on Raw. That's a fuckton of things to do in one night....

You forgot blood in a TV main event.

That's a huge thing.

Lana in trouble for endangering kayfabe by getting married in real life. Luckily they have fine examples set by their bosses to make up for her lapse in judgement.

This is the same guy who was in a car that got flipped over and crushed from 20 feet in the air and appeared on RAW the next night.

That ain't breaking kayfabe, it's Triple H being Heihachi Mishima as usual.

c5ffbcf21980fd6789e3abd5b9e87513.jpg

Umm Hunter that's the wrong venue

It's Wembley Stadium, they're running the arena out of shot to the right

Is WWE getting separate advertising deals for their network? Like is Kay Jewelers a sponsor of Raw at all or just their network shows. I know Coca-Cola is doing the Slammy sponsorship, but does that also extend to WWE Network? That's a pretty good deal of they can make money like that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is WWE getting separate advertising deals for their network? Like is Kay Jewelers a sponsor of Raw at all or just their network shows. I know Coca-Cola is doing the Slammy sponsorship, but does that also extend to WWE Network? That's a pretty good deal of they can make money like that.
Kay sponsored TLC.

This is the same guy who was in a car that got flipped over and crushed from 20 feet in the air and appeared on RAW the next night.

That ain't breaking kayfabe, it's Triple H being Heihachi Mishima as usual.
You just said Hunter is Heihachi, I'm done. I always thought of him as Hogan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All 3 members of New Day are being paid personally for running Coke ads on their Twitter. Not just a company-wide flat rate or anything, talent can opt in to it if they want to, but based on their reach it depends on what they get. Not a bad way to get some bonus money.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This fucker exposing the goddamn business.

Verendus

Banned

Well, those people tuned in to see the TLC fallout really. It's not like they'd have magically known Vince was going to be on Raw. The Vince appearance and title match is what could have potentially helped stop too many viewers from tuning out due to interest in seeing how things develop further.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
What I'm saying is that if you have a WrestleMania, and you put three of your biggest guys in the main event, adding a fourth who is a special attraction all on his own to that event gives you less star power overall for the entire event.

Indeed.

Yeah; the double standards are a little dumb.

Angry Grimace

This is one of those times where it would be hilarious and great if Roman turned it into a worked shoot by saying, "you lying sack of shit I saw you at TakeOver"

klonere

Banned
I'm not sure how to feel after last night. I'm not in some smark rage about Roman winning, but it just kinda makes my interest in WWE at an all-time low. Then you've got Rollins, Cesaro, and Bryan all out and it becomes hard to keep interest in the product. I mean, there's still a bunch of cool shit happening with Takeover London, WrestleKingdom X, and Lucha Underground's return all happening in the span of a month. So I guess I'll just keep some tabs on Raw for a while, probably until the around the Royal Rumble happens.

You and I are kindred spirits Bronx.

See you at Takeover tomorrow bud.

All 3 members of New Day are being paid personally for running Coke ads on their Twitter. Not just a company-wide flat rate or anything, talent can opt in to it if they want to, but based on their reach it depends on what they get. Not a bad way to get some bonus money.
Nice. I noticed that they were all were Puma last night and their tracksuits had a New Day logo too. Interesting. Are there Coke ads running on the Network? That could be a lot of money coming in if the got some streaming ad deals outside of their current USA deal.
I like how they actually acknowledge people don't like Roman now just because he got a pop last night.

Dude's going to be booed to high heaven in less than a month's time.
He'll be ok. He always finds a way to get the crowd on his side.

klonere

Banned
This is one of those times where it would be hilarious and great if Roman turned it into a worked shoot by saying, "you lying sack of shit I saw you at TakeOver"

I wouldn't be opposed to this tbh

More gimmicks to POP THE RATINGS SON.

Well, those people tuned in to see the TLC fallout really. It's not like they'd have magically known Vince was going to be on Raw. The Vince appearance and title match is what could have potentially helped stop too many viewers from tuning out due to interest in seeing how things develop further.

Well let's see if they can pull some more tricks out of the bag next week,

How about letting Ziggler, Owens and Ambrose cut shoot promos on each other. C'mon, whats the harm?

Top Bottom