• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Roman's interview with Coach on ESPN.
tumblr_ncli8oQw6e1tqse2to3_250.gif

lF531h7.jpg

RIP Jim Dotson, Attitude Era head of security. He passed away on December 10. He was only 49 :(

now wrestler heaven has security when a stupid ass mark tries to shoot on a worker
Wait you're kidding, right? Fucking shit man, that sucks.

They said J&J were trained by him 😦

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nobody cares if Roman can act or wrestle, they just want crazy shit to happen and not the same goddamn wrasslin' tropes

People didn't cheer Roman because of something he did its because cool shit went down

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I also don't understand why the Montreal Screwjob was a big deal

What was Bret's big deal with dropping the damn belt as he left

just sayin' I don't change all the passwords and lock the company out when I give my two weeks notice

just sayin' I don't change all the passwords and lock the company out when I give my two weeks notice

He wanted to go out on a high note(also it was in Canada).

He had creative control in his last 30 days meaning he didn't have to go out putting over talent which would kill his stock(normal you alway leave putting over talent) .

The screw job also led to The Mr. McMahon character that would lead to the boom of Austin 3:16.

Bret was the catalyst to helping WWF conquer wCw.

Kornflayx

Wasn't it that Bret was OK with dropping the title to Shawn, but then Shawn came and told him "I wouldn't do the same for you" and Bret was all like "fuck you then"

Striker

Bret was cool with dropping the gold to Shamrock but didn't want to with Shawn because he knew what a cuntstain he was.

Shawn wasn't prepared to put over Austin the right way until Taker started taping his hands.

Summary: Bret staying and Shawn going away would have been 1000% more entertaining.

Aiii

So not worth it
He had creative control in his last 30 days meaning he didn't have to go out putting over talent which would kill his stock(normal you alway leave putting over talent)

More Bret Hart bs.

He already had his multi-year WCW contract signed, there was no stock to lose.

What, losing the title to the other top guy in the company is somehow worse for your reputation than losing it to a b-level wrestler?

I get that Hart's narrative has to benefit Hart, but he wasn't the pious dude he sometimes pretends he is.

Hell, you yourself posted this in the thread only two days ago:
IRONICALLY, IT was an incident involving confidante Bret Hart that led to Nash finally making the decision to walk out on the WWF and accept the offer from Eric Bischoff. During the WWF’s sixth incarnation of In Your House from Louisville, Kentucky on February 18, three days before Scott Hall gave his official notice, Nash was working in the pay-per-view main event; a cage match with Hart. Prior to the bout, the proposed booking called for Hart to appear beaten following Diesel’s powerbomb finisher, only to have The Undertaker burst through the ring and pull Diesel through it, allowing Hart to clamber out of the cage unopposed to win the match. The idea was designed to give symmetry to the Diesel-Undertaker program, with Diesel having already cost Undertaker his title match with Hart at the Royal Rumble thanks to similar machinations.

There was a problem: Hart refused to go along with it. He argued that it would not do anything for his character to appear beaten again only to be saved at the last minute, and that it was not a strong way to build him up for his WrestleMania showdown with Shawn Michaels. Nash implored Hart that it would not hurt him because he was still the one winning the match, but ‘the Hitman’ had made up his mind.

Frustrated with Hart’s snub, the normally reserved Calaway leapt out of his seat and exasperatedly yelled, “Motherfucker! It’s not always about you! This helps our match mean more at ‘Mania.” The plea fell on deaf ears and Hart remained resolute in his refusal.

Bret Hart only did what benefited Bret Hart.

miserable

More Bret Hart bs.

He already had his multi-year WCW contract signed, there was no stock to lose.

What, losing the title to the other top guy in the company is somehow worse for your reputation than losing it to a b-level wrestler?

I get that Hart's narrative has to benefit Hart, but he wasn't the pious dude he sometimes pretends he is.

Hell, you yourself posted this in the thread only two days ago:

Bret Hart only did what benefited Bret Hart.

He said he was willing to drop the title next night on Raw, he just didn't want to do it that night in Canada.

And "more Bret Hart bs"? give me a break. i get that the guy is a mark for himself, but i'll take his word any day over Shawn "The Cunt" Michaels or Vince "i'll owe you one pal" McMahon.

klonere

Banned
If more of these spineless millennials had the backbone to stand up for themselves like Bret, we'd probably have a better set of characters at the very least.

Aiii

So not worth it
He said he was willing to drop the title next night on Raw, he just didn't want to do it that night in Canada.

And "more Bret Hart bs"? give me a break. i get that the guy is a mark for himself, but i'll take his word any day over Shawn "The Cunt" Michaels or Vince "i'll owe you one pal" McMahon.

I can 100% understand why Vince didn't go "oh, okay, that's fine then, I'll totally trust you to do what I ask you after you've just blatantly said you're not willing to do what I ask of you now."

And no, Bret Hart isn't any more trustworthy than McMahon or Michaels. They're all bullshitters.

miserable

I can 100% understand why Vince didn't go "oh, okay, that's fine then, I'll totally trust you to do what I ask you after you've just blatantly said you're not willing to do what I ask of you now."

And no, Bret Hart isn't any more trustworthy than McMahon or Michaels. They're all bullshitters.

yeah, because Hart was like Madusa, with no loyalty and ties at all to Vince, right? the man said many times he considered Vince like a father, and he was THE WWF guy more than anyone else on the roster. and he had "reasonable creative clause". he did't say "i'm going to WCW with the belt", he was willing to do the job just not in Canada where he was considered a national hero. but you're right Vince couldn't trust the guy who was willing to take a big paycut just to stay in WWF out of loyalty

Striker

Shawn Michaels is/was one of the biggest liars in wrestling. Most of the roster in that time hated the dude. I can't fathom how anyone can say he is as trustworthy as Bret is. Vince? Well, I don't know, but the man was paranoid and was getting his shit pushed in by Ted Turner, And his company was crumbling, coupled with his champion throughout the year (Shawn) not being a star he thinks he is.

Aiii

So not worth it
I can't fathom how anyone can say he is as trustworthy as Bret is

Not what I said.

I said Bret's as untrustworthy as anyone else.

The man literally refused to do the job. So yeah, look at it from Vince's point of view. I don't care what Bret says about "being a company man." The proof is in his actions and his action at the time was to refuse to do business. And that's all there is to it.

Striker

On that same coin you don't see guys except Shawn's BFF's ever talking down on what Bret has done or any backstage politics that may have arisen in that period. What makes him untrustworthy?

It's been noted several times that they (Vince and Bret) agreed to a decision and that's how Bret expected it to go. It did not, hence the screwjob effect. Shawn later denies any involvement. Same for Hunter.

Aiii

So not worth it
Bret refused to do the job, they offered him a variety of solutions, all of which he refused only to counter with "well I'll drop it later."

If one of my employees tells me, "well boss, I'm not doing what you want me to do, I'm doing something else entirely and then I'll maybe do it another time." He's being untrustworthy, he's not willing to play ball. So yeah, fuck him.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here. Bret had his reasons, that's fine, but it's not like he's an amazing beacon of great decision-making there. I 100% understand why Vince did what he did.

Or, to quote Taker: "Motherfucker! It’s not always about you!"

klonere

Banned
Bret refused to do the job, they offered him a variety of solutions, all of which he refused only to counter with "well I'll drop it later."

If one of my employees tells me, "well boss, I'm not doing what you want me to do, I'm doing something else entirely and then I'll maybe do it another time." He's being untrustworthy, he's not willing to play ball. So yeah, fuck him.

I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here. Bret had his reasons, that's fine, but it's not like he's an amazing beacon of great decision-making there. I 100% understand why Vince did what he did.

? Bret said "Hey okay, I'll drop the belt, lets just not do it in Canada at Survivor Series, that would affect my drawing power in the future". McMahon & Michaels said "Okay sure".

McMahon broke his word on that matter. Would you as a boss break an agreement with an employee on a matter which you had given your word?

Bret's always seemed like a principled man, it probably never occurred to him that Vince wouldn't take him at his word.

how it always came across to me, just a critical misjudgment by all parties involved.

Thankfully, it worked out for everyone in the end and made for great business!

..unless you're a Hart.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bret's always seemed like a principled man, it probably never occurred to him that Vince wouldn't take him at his word.
He's the type of guy to make a verbal agreement and treat it the same as a signed contract, despite it not working the same at all.

Sephzilla

Not what I said.

I said Bret's as untrustworthy as anyone else.

The man literally refused to do the job. So yeah, look at it from Vince's point of view. I don't care what Bret says about "being a company man." The proof is in his actions and his action at the time was to refuse to do business. And that's all there is to it.

Didn't Bret simply say he didn't want to drop the belt in Canada at Survivor Series and that he'd do it the next night on Raw? Didn't he also have a contractual clause that said he gets to have input in that decision? What Vince did was not only a massive breach of trust but it was also basically a breach of contract. Plus Vince had no reason to believe Bret would take the belt with him to WCW considering Bret was a pretty loyal company man and respected the business and didn't want to leave WWF anyway.

Plus Vince being worried Bret would take the belt to WCW is hypocritical as fuck considering Vince had no problem letting Ric Flair walk onto WWF TV with the Big Gold Belt.

KingBroly

Banned
And so that one night ripped away everything he did before it?

His actions brought millions of fans to the table. You make it sound like a one-sided business venture.
It could have gone the other way just as easily. If I were Vince Id have put Bret yndwr 24 7 watch until he dropped the belt.

Didn't Bret simply say he didn't want to drop the belt in Canada at Survivor Series and that he'd do it the next night on Raw? Didn't he also have a contractual clause that said he gets to have input in that decision? What Vince did was not only a massive breach of trust but it was also basically a breach of contract. Plus Vince had no reason to believe Bret would take the belt with him to WCW considering Bret was a pretty loyal company man and respected the business and didn't want to leave WWF anyway.

Plus Vince being worried Bret would take the belt to WCW is hypocritical as fuck considering Vince had no problem letting Ric Flair walk onto WWF TV with the Big Gold Belt.

I vaguely recall bret saying he'd happily drop the belt to austin

been a looooooooooooooong time since I last watched wrestling with shadows. He didn't seem too argumentative about it as I recall

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Not an unfounded fear considering what Madusa did the year before. She has spoken candidly (and others as well) about how much that upset Vince.

Aiii

So not worth it

Again, does it have to be one or the other? There was no good guy in this story, they're all dicks, Bret included.

Also, it was a war, WWF was in serious danger of going out of business due to WCW. I stand by what I said, I 100% understand why Vince did what he did.

Bandini

I think all you need to know about the Montreal Screwjob is Michaels had a tearful apology and Vince didn't raise a fuss about getting punched in the face, because he knew he deserved it. #IStandWithBret

Sephzilla

I vaguely recall bret saying he'd happily drop the belt to austin

been a looooooooooooooong time since I last watched wrestling with shadows. He didn't seem too argumentative about it as I recall

Again, does it have to be one or the other? There was no good guy in this story, they're all dicks, Bret included.

Also, it was a war, WWF was in serious danger of going out of business due to WCW. I stand by what I said, I 100% understand why Vince did what he did.

I 100% understand why Bret wouldn't want to drop the belt to an entitled drug addict who was clearly on a self destructive course and would rather give the belt to a guy who's a clearly up and coming star.

Top Bottom