• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Fox318

new topic?

is this a shoot?

htJsq6J.gif

Ithil

like have any of you ever watched wrestling before 1996 and know that there's such a thing as a hot crowd that isn't about getting chants over? Or do WWE viewers only know extremes?

It's funny that you criticize "WWE viewers" while viewing sporting crowds through the lens of a wrestling smark only.

You know what needs to fuck off for good in 2016? Marks and Smarks. If you've ever spent a penny on wrestling, you're a mark. If you know it's a work, you're a smark. Both terms are entirely redundant in this day and age when pretty much everyone watching wrestling has a) spent some money on it and b) knows it's a fucking work. It's just become a stupid, divisive term that only gets in the way of discussion.

like have any of you ever watched wrestling before 1996 and know that there's such a thing as a hot crowd that isn't about getting chants over? Or do WWE viewers only know extremes?

And what, exactly, in modern US wrestling gives you the impression that hot crowds the likes of which you'd regularly see in decades past are ever coming back?

I think we're at a fundamental impasse here - "getting chants over" is something you seem to think most crowds are preoccupied with, when rather it's often a spur of the moment sort of thing and the intent likely isn't to get anything over other than a sense of support or condemnation for a crowd's most favoured or most disliked wrestlers, or a general appreciation of the action in the ring.

You know what needs to fuck off for good in 2016? Marks and Smarks. If you've ever spent a penny on wrestling, you're a mark. If you know it's a work, you're a smark. Both terms are entirely redundant in this day and age when pretty much everyone watching wrestling has a) spent some money on it and b) knows it's a fucking work. It's just become a stupid, divisive term that only gets in the way of discussion.

At this point, "smark" seems to have just become a word to describe a wrestling fan who holds an opinion that you don't like.

Mahonay

Banned

At this point, "smark" seems to have just become a word to describe a wrestling fan who holds an opinion that you don't like.
Yup. It has lost all meaning in modern context. It's purely used in a demeaning or facetious fashion now.

I'll have to review this more thoroughly. It's possible Terry Bollea is well-practiced in Dim Mak (translation: The Death Touch) and hit a pressure point, causing a total shutdown of Kevin Nash's nervous system.

See: Otome-Kimon

Heel, we have all seen Bloodsport. We don't need an explanation of what Dim Mak is.

Thank you.

Gonzalez

Banned
Chanting crowd > silent crowd 99% of the time. Anyone complaining about the London crowd simply hates fun.

GOD FORBID A LIVE AUDIENCE ACTS LIKE A LIVE AUDIENCE AT A LIVE SHOW THAT'S ABOUT A FAKE SPORT THAT PEOPLE CHEER FOR

Look I'm not saying don't chant. But if you chant, then please chant encouraging things towards the faces like "LETS GO INSERT WRESTLERS NAME HERE... LETS GO... *CLAP CLAP... CLAP CLAP CLAP*", or "WREST-LER... WREST-LER... WREST-LER...". Those are great productive chants that don't distract from a potential classic. Like what if fans were singing "Ricky The Magic Dragon" randomly during Flair Vs. Steamboat? That would have really ruined potential viewings for me at least.

Look I'm not saying don't chant. But if you chant, then please chant encouraging things towards the faces like "LETS GO INSERT WRESTLERS NAME HERE... LETS GO... *CLAP CLAP... CLAP CLAP CLAP*", or "WREST-LER... WREST-LER... WREST-LER...". Those are great productive chants that don't distract from a potential classic. Like what if fans were singing "Ricky The Magic Dragon" randomly during Flair Vs. Steamboat. That would have really ruined potential viewings for me at least.

Can you type that up into a handy Hijack Raw style fact sheet of approved chants I can tweet round and print out for next time? Cheers babe.

Yeah, of course it could have. Imagine if a big babyface had lost, god those mongrels probably would have started a riot! Or stabbed each other! Scum, the lot of them.
I know, I must have been out for a piss and missed the riot when Enzo and Cass lost. Disgusting.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
of course there are different types of hot crowds. Im just not going to whine like a child when its not my particular brand of hot crowd, nor am I going to get overly distracted by crowd noise when wrestling is a primarily visual form of entertainment
So what you're saying is that crowds can actively become a part of the visual form of entertainment by distracting viewers from the wrestling. Thus hijacking the show and in turn making it about themselves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yeah i'm going after work. i'm excited because this morning it really sunk in that i'm going to be seeing a brand new star wars movie

agreed on the bold stuff

I saw three brand new Star Wars movies and I learned to stop getting too excited after the 2nd

somedevil

Yep, and reading the reviews for next weeks NXT some people will not be happy with the crowd when Jason Jordan and Gable show up.

Though it seems Jason Jordan was hoping they never leave England. He should be nominated and winner of comeback of the year.

klonere

Banned
Yep, and reading the reviews for next weeks NXT some people will not be happy with the crowd when Jason Jordan and Gable show up.

Though it seems Jason Jordan was hoping they never leave England. He should be nominated and winner of comeback of the year.

Dude seemed so estatic at all the house shows. Like running the length of the apron when the chants were happening. After every show he was tweeting about how overwhelmed he was with the support and how he didn't think it could get any better...and then it did every night. He's been in this iteration of NXT since day 1 so he must be overjoyed.

So what you're saying is that crowds can actively become a part of the visual form of entertainment by distracting viewers from the wrestling. Thus hijacking the show and in turn making it about themselves.

I agree, and here's how we change this in WWE at least - I don't think indie promotions are capable of any sort of organization beyond having people show up to buildings, occasionally.

WWE institutes a ban on any crowd interaction by wrestlers. Do not look at the crowd for any longer than is totally necessary. Do not acknowledge them. Remind the wrestlers that they are there to entertain at home in America and that the live audience is an unfortunate byproduct of live events being lucrative. Cena cannot acknowledge any chants, positive or negative, for example. Commentators are actively encouraged to either totally ignore any significant, organized chants or songs and better yet passively aggressively remind them of the disgusting hooligan culture that spawned such things.

If we educate fans like this, we could be looking at truly respectful, appreciative fans on the level of a Korakuen Hall (perhaps minus the callouts of wrestlers names) or World of Sport tapings. It would usher in a new age of wrestling crowds, that are respectful and sensitive to the people at home in America, watching.

Even Korakuen's not safe from the wrath of dirty smarks trying to get themselves over. The other day I heard them chanting, chanting I say! EL-U-GIN, EL-U-GIN, EL-U-GIN!

Also, those old World of Sport tapes? Kids running around at ringside, visually trying to distract from the action in the ring and old grannies attacking heels with their handbags in a disgusting display of trying to get themselves over!

I tell you, I won't be satisfied until crowds are as placid as a 1950's WWWF show or an AWA TV taping.

I love you guys...

but...

I will destroy anyone who comes in and drops details on new Star Wars movie. I've been in dark for two years and I'll be damn if that shit gets ruined in a wrestling thread! I'll be waiting until crowd dies down but still:

You've been warned.

xoxo

Spoiler;

Star Trek rules

Heroman

Banned
Screw you guys! I sent my excel spreadsheet report to Data West who will then decide who gets passed onto a mod. Tired of this shit. TIRED.

BACK ON TOPIC: How do you guys think Vince feels having to come back in front of the cameras to save his baby? I can't imagine that the backstage mood is good right now. Dude needs to work on leaving the limelight, not keep being forced into it. I can only imagine dudes getting yelled at to step up their game behind the scenes.

I liked it but at same time I think it is gonna hurt roman in the long run also Shit must have pretty bad backstage considering that vince doesn't want to be on tv.

Final Battle looks really good

MAIN EVENT**
ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
Jay Lethal w/ Truth Martini vs. "The Phenomenal" AJ Styles

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
War Machine vs. The Kingdom w/ Maria Kanellis

ROH WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
Bobby Fish vs Roderick Strong

GRUDGE MATCH
Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly

SIX MAN TAG TEAM MATCH
Alex Shelley, ACH & #Reborn Matt Sydal vs The Addiction & Chris Sabin

Dalton Castle vs Silas Young w/ The Boys

“Unbreakable” Michael Elgin vs Moose w/ Stokely Hathaway

#1 CONTENDERS TRIPLE THREAT TAG TEAM MATCH
The Young Bucks vs All Night Express vs The Briscoes

YouTube Exclusive
Cheeseburger vs Brutal Bob

Aiii

So not worth it
All I'm gonna say about SW is how good it feels too legit b be excited about SW again without having to rationalize it to myself out of nostalgia.

Much like wrestling when LU returns next month.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was at lunch and someone at the next table was talking loudly about Star Wars. And this person seemed like a normal, successful, non-neckbearded person. But the shit he said sounded like the nerdiest shit I had ever heard.

Gentlemen, this is somehow more acceptable to talk about in public than pro wrestling. Chewbacca is more acceptable to talk about in public than pro wrestling. And it's not even close.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was at lunch and someone at the next table was talking loudly about Star Wars. And this person seemed like a normal, successful, non-neckbearded person. But the shit he said sounded like the nerdiest shit I had ever heard.

Gentlemen, this is somehow more acceptable to talk about in public than pro wrestling. Chewbacca is more acceptable to talk about in public than pro wrestling. And it's not even close.

Yeah, I'm okay with this.

Sephzilla

I'm pretty sure it has always been more acceptable to talk about Star Wars than pro wrestling.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah, and? Star Wars is widely accepted in the mainstream culture. Wrestling not so much.

Just wait until Vince dies and Disney buys the WWE, then worldwide acceptance will occur.

And Reigns will use the Spider-man Punch.

Heel

In The Phantom Menace, Yoda has three toes. But in The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith, he has four. #Safe

I watch wrestling. #DeadGiveaway

Top Bottom