• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Zach

I started '98 during my five days off. The Attitude Era is so bad, guys. I can't get over it. I think JR's commentary is what elevates it into somewhat watchable schlock, though.

DMczaf

CXQCV3BWMAAbLWI.jpg

CXQCV3HWkAAZweF.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
I started '98 during my five days off. The Attitude Era is so bad, guys. I can't get over it. I think JR's commentary is what elevates it into somewhat watchable schlock, though.
The commitment to side stories is what I enjoyed most about The Attitude Era, other than Stone Cold and Rock being absolutely amazing and popping entire arenas on a weekly basis.

Until Angle, Jericho, Eddie, and Benoit showed up, the actual wrestling was completely secondary in most cases.

The early Attitude stuff (as DX is really gaining steam) wasn't great in terms of wrestling. It really picked up though, IMO, once Brett, Sid, and more of that older guard began leaving. Foley/Mankind really came into his own, Rock REALLY took off, etc.

I really want to work my way back through this period, but not being to watch this on my train commute really makes it impossible.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's fun to listen to all the Nation themes back to back, from the original to when it slowly began to transform into Rock's theme to now. And it's funny to think that whenever you hear Rock's theme today, it's just a heavily remixed/reworked Nation theme.

DMczaf

Somewhere out there, there is someone ordering every Raw episode from Best to Worst and is planning to post his crazy ass list in 2016.

I can feel it.

You need to get past mania. That's where is gets really good. 98 has been fun so far. Just got up to November and the deadly game !

Zach

The commitment to side stories is what I enjoyed most about The Attitude Era, other than Stone Cold and Rock being absolutely amazing and popping entire arenas on a weekly basis.

Until Angle, Jericho, Eddie, and Benoit showed up, the actual wrestling was completely secondary in most cases.

The early Attitude stuff (as DX is really gaining steam) wasn't great in terms of wrestling. It really picked up though, IMO, once Brett, Sid, and more of that older guard began leaving. Foley/Mankind really came into his own, Rock REALLY took off, etc.

I really want to work my way back through this period, but not being to watch this on my train commute really makes it impossible.

All fair points. Except for DX ever being anything but atrocious.

Anyway, there are some great moments/segments/whatever, but I need some legit wrasslin' peppered throughout instead of constant random DOA member vs. random Savio Vega protege OH MY GOD THEY'RE ALL IN THE RING THIS IS PANDEMONIUM.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's pretty amazing to see the Radicalz talk about how they were misused in WCW when you saw what great gimmicks WWE handed them upon arrival.

A womanizing abusive asshole
A mentally handicapped man
And Chris Benoit

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's pretty amazing to see the Radicalz talk about how they were misused in WCW when you saw what great gimmicks WWE handed them upon arrival.

And Chris Benoit

I read that last line in the Mr. Plinkett "And Kevin Bacon" voice.

Mahonay

Banned

And Chris Benoit
TOOTHLESS AGGRESSION

All fair points. Except for DX ever being anything but atrocious.

Anyway, there are some great moments/segments/whatever, but I need some legit wrasslin' peppered throughout instead of constant random DOA member vs. random Savio Vega protege OH MY GOD THEY'RE ALL IN THE RING THIS IS PANDEMONIUM.

That's unfortunately what was working back then as the wars really began to pick up. While I loved the hardcore matches when I was 14/15 re-watching them now some were just downright awful.

Zach

That's unfortunately what was working back then as the wars really began to pick up. While I loved the hardcore matches when I was 14/15 re-watching them now some were just downright awful.

Yeah, I appreciated hardcore matches and the degradation of women a lot more when I was a teenager.

And I dunno, the brawls were fun and all initially, but when you're doing it night-in, night-out, that stuff's obviously going to get old. And over in dubya cee dubya crowds were legit going bonkers for stuff like Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio.

Regardless, wrestling in general was sooooo much more entertaining then compared to today. Even stuff I really enjoy (NXT) is pretty homogenized and risk-averse. : (

Yeah, I appreciated hardcore matches and the degradation of women a lot more when I was a teenager.

And I dunno, the brawls were fun and all initially, but when you're doing it night-in, night-out, that stuff's obviously going to get old. And over in dubya cee dubya crowds were legit going bonkers for stuff like Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio.

Regardless, wrestling in general was sooooo much more entertaining then compared to today. Even stuff I really enjoy (NXT) is pretty homogenized and risk-averse. : (

You ever watch the last Guerrero/Malenko match in ECW? You wanna talk about a crowd being into a match. That match was not only great to watch, but the crowd really elevates it to a whole other level.

Great theme and probably my favorite stable from that era. DX was great, but not aged well.

Attitude era went stable crazy at one point too. DX, DOA, APA, NOD, LOD2000(Would they count?), The Ministry of Darkness, the oddities, etc.

Russo loved doing stables. To his credit it gives the more directionless lower tier guys a place.

Kornflayx

you poor, poor soul

Of course the actual wrestling matches weren't as good. But I rather have mediocre matches with a story than wrestlers with no personality having good matches.
But then, I'm someone who's more into the story aspects than the actual matches.

Top Bottom