• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Kornflayx

friends i'm watching Starrcade '90 on the network, and Paul E. says somethink like "Tiger Hattori used to advise Mr Saito", to which Jim Ross replies: "the only advice he should give him is to stay out of McDonalds"

fat shaming

in 1990

by good ol JR

That's not a fat joke, Saito was literally arrested for vandalizing a McDonalds right?

miserable

That Hase match is the perfect example of it. Hase spends the entire match working his arm so he can't use his elbow and guess how Misawa wins? With an effortlessly executed elbow.

King's Road is poop

yeah, i was watching that match when i thought that most of the time the extent of Misawa's selling was lying on his back for a couple of seconds and occasionally pulling up his thights
Kawada used to sell better

btw thanks for posting the link to that match

Kaladin

Thanksgiving Smackdown pulled 1.6 million viewers. That's even lower than that one time they ran live on USA and did a replay on their regular time slot. That's lower than that replay.

klonere

Banned
A STRAIGHT SHOOT SON said:
Vader was upset early on because at the time in WWE, heels had to be booked as cowards. Foley put Vader over as a solid worker and being great and 'making guys' because he was such a strong heel. He thinks that when Vader got to WWE, he had so many people in his ear, so many people trying to tell him to be a heel, that he was baffled. Vader hated running away from opponents, but that's how WWE booked heels back then. Foley said Vader is in phenomenal shape and doesn't get his due as being one of the great heels of his generation. Austin agreed he was great.

All heels as cowards huh....sounds....familiar......

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what's new on Breaking Ground?

They still try and script the show as though nobody actually watches NXT and as though anyone is actually convinced Dana Brooke and Apollo Crews are at risk of getting fired

miserable

kensuke2wcp72.gif

Kaladin

The whole Mojo / Dana Brooke thing was stupid as hell. Possibly dumber than anything I've seen on Total Divas. I'm pretty sure there are states where that whole thing where he picked up the girl could have been illegal.

I miss JR
I miss Mean Gene backstage interviews.
I miss Heenan
I miss Schiavone

I miss Bischoff
I wish Savage was still around

I wish Jake Roberts was teaching promo class at NXT, and helping more backstage.

I miss JR
I miss Mean Gene backstage interviews.
I miss Heenan
I miss Schiavone

I miss Bischoff
I wish Savage was still around

I wish Jake Roberts was teaching promo class at NXT, and helping more backstage.

Sounds to me like you should just watch 90's WCW FOREVER.... FOREVER... FOREVER... FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEVER.

Aiii

So not worth it
They still try and script the show as though nobody actually watches NXT and as though anyone is actually convinced Dana Brooke and Apollo Crews are at risk of getting fired

We are not watching the same show.

Unless you are referring to Apollo's own offhand comment that getting called into the bosses office always makes him cause nervous, jokingly saying that you don't know if you are getting fired. But calling that scripted is just lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lol @ the idea that any successful company would want to buy this shit heap
Because WWE is profitable and the fact that a bunch of know it all smarks think they know better isn't actually relevant

Ithil

So what's new on Breaking Ground?

It's getting a bit too weird in its scripting. It's on the WWE Network, and is only viewed by people who undoubtedly watch NXT and WWE in general, but it feels like they tried to create a show for people who don't actually watch NXT like it was airing on Fox Sports or something. They try to make tension about who is going to be cut, but there isn't any because if you watch NXT you know Apollo Crews or Dana Brooke are regularly featured while the likes of a Cal Bishop were never on TV. It's this weird level of kayfabe.

Like they are actively talking about people creating characters, and showing people training in wrestling, yet seem afraid to outright state the matches are not real contests. The narrator is talking about how "a win could put them in the hunt for ___" like the wins aren't scripted in advance, but then you have a scene of Regal discussing putting together a character with a wrestler.

They want to make Hard Knocks but I'm not sure the crew they have making the show are entirely up to the task.

Kaladin

Like they are actively talking about people creating characters, and showing people training in wrestling, yet seem afraid to outright state the matches are not real contests. The narrator is talking about how "a win could put them in the hunt for ___" like the wins aren't scripted in advance, but then you have a scene of Regal discussing putting together a character with a wrestler.

Yeah, they literally ended an episode on one of the Dusty Tag Team Classic matches with Hype Bros vs Ready Willing and Gable talking about how a win could make or break either team's future.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because WWE is profitable and the fact that a bunch of know it all smarks think they know better isn't actually relevant

Dude, Disney didn't even want anything to do with WCW in the early 90s when WWF toys were the highest selling toys of the year. No successful company wants anything to do with an insular, fraternity-like pro wrestling company like the WWE.

It's getting a bit too weird in its scripting. It's on the WWE Network, and is only viewed by people who undoubtedly watch NXT and WWE in general, but it feels like they tried to create a show for people who don't actually watch NXT like it was airing on Fox Sports or something. They try to make tension about who is going to be cut, but there isn't any because if you watch NXT you know Apollo Crews or Dana Brooke are regularly featured while the likes of a Cal Bishop were never on TV. It's this weird level of kayfabe.

They want to make Hard Knocks but I'm not sure the crew they have making the show are entirely up to the task.

Yeah, the first couple episodes were real good, but they've gone almost full Total Divas

klonere

Banned

Everything is fake except the matches is a very strange level of kayfabe.

I like Sabby but the stuff with his brother was very obviously scripted and very forced. They are usually pretty good at avoiding stuff like that on the show in the first few episodes.

Still haven't seen any of the tryouts/trainees who can cut a good, believable promo on the show so far. What the hell is going on where they can't find competent talkers?

thefro

They need to bring Vader and Sid back to show these kids how is done.

Sid and Vader even got booked as cowardly chickens to some extent in WWF. Same with Yokozuna, Bundy, etc. They'd always run away from the top guys like Hogan, Taker, and Diesel if they didn't have an advantage.

Kane's the first WWF heel I can remember that got booked really strongly as a true monster that wasn't afraid of the babyfaces.

Kaladin

New Day is bad, and you should feel bad for liking them.

I'll admit, I laughed the first few months....but their shtick is old and tired already.

klonere

Banned
WWE are like 2 week off ruining the New Day right? Pollock was talking about how much they were on the show last night and how they can't possibly keep up that level of appearances without becoming stale and annoying.

God remember how much Seth Rollins was on Raw?

hours

of

television

Heroman

Banned
The new day has gotten lame over the year, I mean unicorns dat shit is lame as fuck? They have become to goofy imao.

Heel

"They're giving us too much of something we previously enjoyed." may mark a new low for smark culture.

Stop watching.

Top Bottom