• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
tumblr_mxnr5aWzwB1snjiv2o3_250.gif

tumblr_mxnr5aWzwB1snjiv2o7_500.gif

tumblr_mrs22ru3p31s2ied2o2_400.gif

Vince can fuck off. The fans hijacked that segment because it would have been BORING if they hadn't. The ending was good either way, but the promos would have been dull as dirt if Cena hadn't had Daniel Bryan to play off of and get the audience involved.

Seriously, when virtually every live audience is CLAMORING to see Daniel Bryan and ratings for his matches and segments were good while Cena was gone, why would you bury him just because of buyrates for PPVs that probably would have sold like shit anyway? And why would you have expected an awesome buyrate for a PPV that really only had one week of decent buildup to the championship main event and which was set up by John Cena SELECTING Bryan? And where everybody knew there would most likely be a screwjob?

If you're Vince, how do you watch that segment Monday night and not just feel ASHAMED of yourself and your product?

KissVibes

Banned
The buyrates were bad because they used every single Raw and Smackdown between them to beat down Bryan. And when Bryan won at PPVs, they took the belt back from him and continued to have him beaten down. They never even resolved that angle where Road Doggs brother and Bryan were in on it together, did they? THEN on top of all that fuckery they put Big Show in his spot, had him look stronger in one Raw than Bryan looked all October, AND try to steal his fucking chant!

Why the fuck would people pay $60 to see the burial of a guy they like so much?

Two PPVs in October is stupid as shit too and certainly didn't help matters.

Pavaloo

Vince can fuck off. The fans hijacked that segment because it would have been BORING if they hadn't. The ending was good either way, but the promos would have been dull as dirt if Cena hadn't had Daniel Bryan to play off of and get the audience involved.

Seriously, when virtually every live audience is CLAMORING to see Daniel Bryan and ratings for his matches and segments were good while Cena was gone, why would you bury him just because of buyrates for PPVs that probably would have sold like shit anyway? And why would you have expected an awesome buyrate for a PPV that really only had one week of decent buildup to the championship main event and which was set up by John Cena SELECTING Bryan? And where everybody knew there would most likely be a screwjob?

If you're Vince, how do you watch that segment Monday night and not just feel ASHAMED of yourself and your product?

100% positive they planned to have the Slammys and the title segment in Bryan's hometown where the crowd would react as predicted.

BFIB

I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see the number of PPVs reduced to have feuds built up longer.

Vylash

The buyrates were bad because they used every single Raw and Smackdown between them to beat down Bryan. And when Bryan won at PPVs, they took the belt back from him and continued to have him beaten down. They never even resolved that angle where Road Doggs brother and Bryan were in on it together, did they? THEN on top of all that fuckery they put Big Show in his spot, had him look stronger in one Raw than Bryan looked all October, AND try to steal his fucking chant!

Why the fuck would people pay $60 to see the burial of a guy they like so much?

Two PPVs in October is stupid as shit too and certainly didn't help matters.

Oh man that's right, they just kinda brought him back on PPV, had Big Show knock him out, and that was the end of it, not even any solid confirmation that HHH put him up to it.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see the number of PPVs reduced to have feuds built up longer.
I'd be okay with that as long as they handle it better than TNA has, they still make matches on the go home show for PPVs

Son Of D

Jan: Royal Rumble
April: Wrestlemania
June: Money in the Bank
August: Summerslam
October: Night of Champions (or some other generic PPV)
November: Survivor Series (Elimination Chamber can be the main event for the title, with traditional SS matches elsewhere in the card. That's if the roster is big enough for such a card).

Just have NoC at the beginning of October and SS near the end of November so that there's enough time for a good build.

Alternatively.

Jan: RR
March: WM
May: MitB
July: SumSlam
Sep: NoC
Nov: SurSer

Although Summerslam in July will be odd.

Son Of D

MITB should go back to being a Mania match Cena winning it killed it

Actually, thinking about it, if the belts are unified at TLC there will only be 1 MitB match. So it being at Mania as opposed to a separate PPV doesn't seem bad.

Ok replace MitB on my list with NoC and put a Halloween themed PPV or something else into October.

RBH

From the latest issue of the Observer:

--The John Cena TMZ interview where he said Hulk Hogan was too old to wrestle is said to have been something of significance and not an off the cuff remark. Cena isn’t going to insult Hulk Hogan publicly with a remark like that unless it’s to tease something for business. If Hogan is to be in WrestleMania the scenarios that seemed to make the most sense were a singles match with Cena if there was a way he could get through it, and that is a very big if. People who have been around Hogan tell me there’s no way he should and if that’s the case, I kind of hope he doesn’t, but that doesn’t mean he won’t try. Given Hogan is in a million times worse shape than someone like Edge, who WWE doctors said they would never clear and his career is over (although that was due to a specific neck injury due to fear of paralysis from a bad bump and WWE not wanting to be liable), but I can’t imagine with the shape Hogan’s back is in for that not to be at least a serious concern. The other scenario would be a Hogan & Cena team. Either way, it would have to be made clear it’s Hogan’s retirement match at WrestleMania XXX. Hogan never had a real retirement match and from a storybook standpoint, he should, this is the time because he shouldn’t work again, and WrestleMania is the only place. TNA had built an angle for he and Bully Ray forever to build for a showdown and he never did it, but this is a completely different level and if it’s at all possible, it’s the only way and place to end it if he can. There was a ton of Hogan stuff in various video packages that they were playing to the live crowd at Raw in Seattle.

--Mark Henry, 42, is right now saying he’s going to wrestle for two more years, until his contract expires, and then his goal is to work with kids in urban communities in some form. Henry had talked retirement for it seems like a few years, well before he signed his current contract and even before he did the retirement angle, but it is something he’s now setting the table for.

--There is a trademark battle over the Fandango name. WWE attempted to trademark the term Fandango for use for a pro wrestler. Comcast has trademarked the term Fandango for its movie ticketing service. That’s one of the reasons WWE at one point dropped the character after introducing him, and at another point spelled it “Fandangoo.” .

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
WWE Should have 6-8 PPVs a year. Rumble, WM, and SummerSlam should have at least six weeks between them and the last PPV.

Not 30 like UFC?

So what's the deal with Brad Maddox? Is he ever going to wrestle? Like, for real?

At this point he's just a fill in when another wrestler can't do it and they don't have a local guy around. So with Maddox, only expect to see him in a random NXT house show match or the dark match before RAW.

KenOD

i always wondered why the hell they even bothered to name him Fandango.

What other dances could they have done?

Cha-cha already copyrighted as a name in several ways.
Bolero? Maybe, if JBL and Cole wouldn't butcher saying it out loud.
Tsamiko, Polska, Galliard etc wouldn't make sense to most fans.
Jive? Doesn't fit the gimmick.
Mambo? Vince would only call a black man that.
Rumba? Only if Tito Santana came back to have another horrible gimmick.
Waltz? Okay, perhaps that would have worked.
Foxtrot? No, that's being saved in case Fandango and Dean Ambrose ever form a tag-team together.
Saltarello? Too similar to Santino.

They already settled on a ballroom dancer gimmick and Fandango was the one that sounded best to them.

I wish they had only settled on him having a dance gimmick alone, but hadn't decided on what type yet. Disco Inferno Rival or one of the various sword dances or kozachok (the Ukrainian squat kick dance) instead.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Bringing Hogan back in any capacity for WM is a huge mistake. They shouldn't let him in the ring at all. Wasting a Cena match would be beyond moronic.

The Rock has always been an asshole whether he was heel or villain. That's The Rock. I don't see how people can act brand new about it when that's how it's always been.

No one is acting like it's brand new. It's just that now I don't have the same sensibilities as when I was 12. Because 12 year olds are fucking stupid and awful. Also - "That's how it's always been" is the worst defense of anything ever.

Ban movies , videogames, and music next. Heck how is power rangers still on?

What the fuck are you even saying?

EDIT: Sorry, I knew what you were saying it's just that you were making a ridiculously stupid point that had nothing to do with what I was saying, so let me elaborate.

Criticizing the product isn't the same as saying it's a bad medium. If I had said that some song on the Radio sounded like cats fucking then that's not the same as me saying 'OMG CANCEL MUSIC' so cut it with your dismissive nonsense. Wrestling is escapist fantasy, wherein the core is simulated sport featuring different personalities reacting.

When The Rock presents himself as a totally repugnant human who treats anyone in his path like dirt and gets cheered and rewarded for it that is a bad story. Moreover, it is bad because it emulates a reality that many of the kids who watch this product want to escape from.

The reason that things like Austin/McMahon resonated with the audience wasn't because Stone Cold was such a cool badass that flipped people off, it was because people could empathize with a man who was held down by oppressive dicks with authoritative power. When you present me something like Rock vs Cena you're just showing me two unlikable assholes who are so far removed from common people that I can't empathize, moreso when they start bullying everyone who doesn't meet their bizarre ubermensch standards.

strobogo

Banned
Bros, I have to start a diet. I've drank nearly every night for 2 weeks and haven't been on a bike ride for about as long due to snow and weather. I look like shit. I also eat like I'm pregnant. I have to cut out bread for a while and stick to a 1500 calorie per day deal. And get back to biking.

UberTag

Bring king of the Ring back!
Agreed. King of the Ring should get the MITB PPV spot.
MITB match should get folded back into Mania.
NOC should get replaced with Halloween Havoc.

Everybody wins.

Also, Cena vs. Hogan at Mania will happen.
Cena vs. Undertaker can wait until next year.

Daniel Bryan will be in a 6-man tag with the Bella sisters vs. AJ, Tamina and Corporate Kane.
It will last 7 minutes and end with Bryan getting pinned by AJ after Kane tombstones him.
Corporate Kane will then cuff D.Brine to a barber chair and shave off his beard while he writhes in agony for that WrestleMania moment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bros, I have to start a diet. I've drank nearly every night for 2 weeks and haven't been on a bike ride for about as long due to snow and weather. I look like shit. I also eat like I'm pregnant. I have to cut out bread for a while and stick to a 1500 calorie per day deal. And get back to biking.

Come to fit-gaf we'll get you set.

Vylash

I've been needing to do this for a long time honestly, I keep doing the "I'll start tomorrow" thing.

strobogo

Banned
Come to fit-gaf we'll get you set.

I just have a hard time sticking to shit. All the food around me every day is not very good for you, and buying a ton of veggies always feels wasteful because I can never eat them all before the broccoli or cauliflower starts going bad. Then I have 5 pounds of carrots and rubbery celery. My area doesn't really have local groceries or any kind of farmers market/Trader Joes kind of place (even though Indiana is all god damn corn fields and farmers), so all my fresh produce comes from Walmart or Meijer. Meijer has really good frozen veggies that I stock up on, but they're starting to phase them out because they aren't selling very well.

jmdajr

No one is acting like it's brand new. It's just that now I don't have the same sensibilities as when I was 12. Because 12 year olds are fucking stupid and awful. Also - "That's how it's always been" is the worst defense of anything ever.

What the fuck are you even saying?

EDIT:

The reason that things like Austin/McMahon resonated with the audience wasn't because Stone Cold was such a cool badass that flipped people off, it was because people could empathize with a man who was held down by oppressive dicks with authoritative power. When you present me something like Rock vs Cena you're just showing me two unlikable assholes who are so far removed from common people that I can't empathize, moreso when they start bullying everyone who doesn't meet their bizarre ubermensch standards.

I was at the Rock concert and the whole arena was laughing. Sure maybe it's in bad taste, but pro wrestling is pretty much considered bad taste in general.

Plus people these days hate Rock so they give him extra shit for whatever he does. I bet Punk in a similar roles won't get that much heat.

You know I didn't even think it was a big deal until I saw the reactions here. Oh well maybe I'm a desensitized asshole.

Listening to Kevin Steen on Steve Austin's podcast. Austin sounds like the nicest wrestler.

Edit: Steen completely confused Steve Austin describing the difference between Sami Zayn and El Generico.

strobogo

Banned
THIS IS TNA:

Offers HD shot PPVs at 360p on the paid subscription page. Offers most major matches from HD PPVs in HD on the free page.

KenOD

I think part of it comes down to the lack of balance. Other than Vince McMahon played as being senile and not "competent to run the WWE" by his son-in-law or Ziggler/Edge/Escobar/whomever as they were managed/dating her and we were told to boo and hate them, who has ever said something nice about her? At least, without it being an awful lie and set up for a bigger joke on her? How about Cole when EVERYONE was hating his character and we were made to be disgusted because he thought she was an attractive cougar? We were told it was wrong for him to think that.

I accept the Rock insulting her because he's done it to everyone, no matter who they are and that includes Lillian Garcia whom he had the friendliest relationship with as a character. Or how about him and Coach, one of his best friends? AJ or Dolph Ziggler or Edge or anyone else spurned by her makes as much sense as Y2J or Bradshaw or Eric Bischoff or Lita or Trish doing it to Steph back in the 90s.
What bothers me is everyone else doing it, especially those with no reason to do it without any sense of "she's good at her job" or other appreciation beyond a few times Matt Striker did so on commentary?

All those complaints about how J.R. was treated? Imagine how much worse it would be if you couldn't even recall anyone on WWE ever saying how good he was or being appreciative of his work. Imagine instead of just Vince and WCW insulting him, everyone could do so and it felt like every other segment was that?

Now she is hardly alone in the wide word of NA wrestling of course. A certain weasel comes to mind as does Wippleman, but even they had moments to shine and be appreciated and even escape for a moment to realise how much people actually enjoy them. Vickie doesn't get enough of that.

Listening to Kevin Steen on Steve Austin's podcast. Austin sounds like the nicest wrestler.

Edit: Steen completely confused Steve Austin describing the difference between Sami Zayn and El Generico.

Is he still doing it by phone? I can't stand listening to audio when it's that no matter how much I want to listen to a show or podcast.

strobogo

Banned
Never bought anything on their youtube page, but is it seriously 360p? What the hell

I only did it because they had a 2 week free trial and two weeks of TNA PPVs is enough to last a life time. But yes, 360p. You can watch BFG2011 in 360p, or you can watch the individual matches in 1080p on the free page.

Pavaloo

Pavaloo - there's something on the previous page from Figure Four suggesting Vince was unhappy about all the DB chants.

Ah I see that now, I'll check out that podcast. I still think that's speculation. I'm convinced it was intentional.

I think it's interesting that Bryan and Brie are getting married right around WrestleMania time.. :p

Lol. I've been watching an old Attitude Era show. Christian got flogged by the Undertaker for disobeying Ministry orders or some shit.

Anyways, later on there's a match between the New Age Outlaws and the Brood (Edge and Gangrel). The match proceeds as normal, then the brood get knocked out of the ring.

Christian (who is dressed and kinda looks like Gangrel) comes wobbling towards the ring not knowing where he's at. Billy Gunn distracts the ref, and Road Dogg drags Christian in. They pull a finisher on him and pin him for the win.

So in essence, Christian lost a match he wasn't apart of.

Jobber 4 Lyfe yo.

Ha. I remember that. The Ministry had Stephanie McMahon locked up in the basement of the arena. The Brood did a bloodbath to Ken Shamrock and he was pissed. He captured Christian and had him in the ankle lock, screaming at him to tell him where Stephanie was.

"SHE'S IN THE BASEMENT!"
"WHEEEEEEEEEEEERE!??!?!"
"THE BASEMENT!! STEPH'S IN THE BASEMENT!!"

They found her crying with Taker's symbol written in sharpie on her forehead, lol.

Taker was maaaaad at Christian the next week.

Pro wrasslin.

strobogo

Banned
Lol. I've been watching an old Attitude Era show. Christian got flogged by the Undertaker for disobeying Ministry orders or some shit.

Anyways, later on there's a match between the New Age Outlaws and the Brood (Edge and Gangrel). The match proceeds as normal, then the brood get knocked out of the ring.

Christian (who is dressed and kinda looks like Gangrel) comes wobbling towards the ring not knowing where he's at. Billy Gunn distracts the ref, and Road Dogg drags Christian in. They pull a finisher on him and pin him for the win.

Jobber 4 Lyfe yo.

Just like Ric Flair! The main difference being that Flair is the most successful jobber of all time.

Was Shamrock ever not pissed? Dude was always screaming about shit. LIke the time he flipped his shit over Billy Gunn mooning his sister, even though Ryan really liked it. All just to have a creepy "I control who my adult sister has sex with, god damn it!" angle with weird subtext since Ryan Shamrock was actually Ken's real life girlfriend at the time. Why they didn't just bring her in as Shamrock's girlfriend that Billy Gunn hit on is beyond me.

Vylash

Jobber 4 Lyfe yo.

Classic Christian

Top Bottom