• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

RBH

Per Meltzer in the Observer, as soon as TNA got wind that WWE wasn't interested in AJ Styles, they decided to make AJ a really low offer, with the mentality that he'd have to take it since he had nowhere else to go and would just have to take what they offered him. Instead he just left.

Vylash

I feel like AJ hasn't been a huge part of TNA for a long time anyway, he never really found his identity and just felt lost for the longest time

RBH

Regarding AJ Styles leaving TNA, it is not part of the storyline that they began a few months ago. Things could change between now and December 16th but Styles is indeed leaving TNA if they don't.

Styles is currently taking independent bookings and word is that he's asking between $3,000 and $4,000 per appearance. It was noted that Styles' scheduled Q&A tour of the UK was pushed back due to a Diamond Dallas Page tour taking place around the same time but another reason for the delay is that TNA's lawyers sent legal letters to the promoters to make sure they weren't infringing on anything TNA owns rights to.

The main problem between TNA and AJ is money. TNA simply would not give him what he wanted. Now there's a feeling within TNA, with so many contracts coming up in the next year, that a lot of guys are going to end up singing deals for less than they were previously making just to keep their jobs. The feeling is if TNA wouldn't give AJ Styles more money, then they probably won't be giving any one else more money.
-PWInsider

strobogo

Banned
I hope you aren't surprised! ;)

Not in the least.

I feel like AJ hasn't been a huge part of TNA for a long time anyway, he never really found his identity and just felt lost for the longest time

2005 was probably the last time AJ was really booked well and as any kind of star for TNA. Even if he had title runs after that, he was always second fiddle to the former WWE guys on the show. Died for good after Hogan came in and cut his title run short for RVD.

Cagey

Banned
No idea what AJ thinks he's worth. To 99.9% of the world, he's never wrestled a match in his life.

I'm more knowledge than 99.9% of the world when it comes to wrestling (but not anywhere close on non-WWE or even non-main-roster stuff as most posters here), and to me AJ Styles is some average jobber-looking guy in TNA. I don't understand his appeal or what makes him more than any other generic white dude of average size and in decent shape. Which isn't to say he has no appeal, not at all, but my opinion is representative of the vast majority of the WWE audience on that front.

DMczaf

Mark Henry is a strong motherfucker.

cc97cf8c628e11e3b33812247d6e2fa4_8.jpg

Damn, this attitude era show had more energy and enthusiasm than the last month of Raw combined. King and Cole were on commentary, and were actually kinda decent. Not anywhere near as good as JR, but tolerable. They really stopped giving a shit these days.

All the wrestlers and angles were edgy and offensive for the sake of it, and I frigging loved every minute of it. Angles also crossed over quite cleverly. No bullshit like the Punkverse.

The crowd were also fucking insane. According to the commentary, they were beating Monday Night Football in the ratings! They can't even get a 3.5 nowadays :lol Even midcarders like Al Snow and the Godfather got bigger pops than Cena, Punk, or Bryan get nowadays. The pop that Stone Cold gets just by showing his face is insane, let alone while he actually does something interesting, you can't hear anything else.

Goldust sucked wrestling-wise back then though, he's pretty good these days.

All I can say is: Pimpin' ain't easy.

Kaladin

Ring of Honor would be stupid to not take AJ Styles back in a heartbeat if he came knocking. Hell, they should be contacting his booking agent. They need star power and AJ Styles can bring it. If you want him to go somewhere where he'll be a legit main event talent from day one, that's it.

What show are you watching? I'm watching a show from September 1999 right now, and 30 minutes in, and there's only been one match (Y2J/Big Show) and it was 3 minutes and ended with Prince Albert missile dropkicking Show.

The crowd is still SO INTO everything else though, and that's cool. I may have picked a bad show though, because so far it's just been a HHH promo with Bulldog and Vince, Jeff Jarrett calling out Debra and Chyna, the aforementioned Jericho/Show stuff, some backstage segments with Mankind, and a Stone Cold/Vince promo.

and now Steve Blackman is wrestling D'lo for the Euro title

edit: lol, it ended after a minute after Blackman started hitting everyone with a kendo stick and Droz puking on D'Lo

What show are you watching? I'm watching a show from September 1999 right now, and 30 minutes in, and there's only been one match (Y2J/Big Show) and it was 3 minutes and ended with Prince Albert missile dropkicking Show.

The crowd is still SO INTO everything else though, and that's cool. I may have picked a bad show though, because so far it's just been a HHH promo with Bulldog and Vince, Jeff Jarrett calling out Debra and Chyna, the aforementioned Jericho/Show stuff, some backstage segments with Mankind, and a Stone Cold/Vince promo.

I watched the first April show of 98. It was in Long Island, Mick Foley's hometown.

Raw64life

WWE can hire AJ Styles, name him something else and give him an AJ Lee stalker gimmick to explain the giant AJ tattoo. They can just say that the 3 dates below the tattoo are the dates he completed successful panty raids.

Damn, this attitude era show had more energy and enthusiasm than the last month of Raw combined. King and Cole were on commentary, and were actually kinda decent. Not anywhere near as good as JR, but tolerable. They really stopped giving a shit these days.

All the wrestlers and angles were edgy and offensive for the sake of it, and I frigging loved every minute of it. Angles also crossed over quite cleverly. No bullshit like the Punkverse.

The crowd were also fucking insane. According to the commentary, they were beating Monday Night Football in the ratings! They can't even get a 3.5 nowadays :lol Even midcarders like Al Snow and the Godfather got bigger pops than Cena, Punk, or Bryan get nowadays. The pop that Stone Cold gets just by showing his face is insane, let alone while he actually does something interesting, you can't hear anything else.

Goldust sucked wrestling-wise back then though, he's pretty good these days.

Even with the "blink-and-you-miss-em" Russo booked 2 minute matches, it's the energy of those shows that sticks out to me the most. The shows today are so sterile in comparison. The booking and presentation is SO boring, and the segment to segment flow of the live shows are so predictable that you know exactly how long everything will last, what to skip, and that 99% of segments won't bleed into each other naturally.

Even with the "blink-and-you-miss-em" Russo booked 2 minute matches, it's the energy of those shows that sticks out to me the most. The shows today are so sterile in comparison. The booking and presentation is SO boring, and the segment to segment flow of the live shows are so predictable that you know exactly how long everything will last, what to skip, and that 99% of segments won't bleed into each other naturally.

The show I watched actually gave all the matches lots of time for wrestling. Maybe Russo gets crazier as time goes on, but that didn't apply to this particular show.

Cagey

Banned

UFC-ification and sitcom-ification of WWE. Nasty combo.

This show has the This is Your Life... segment with The Rock and Mankind, and I think it's 20 minutes long. I might have to skip the rest, not sure if i want to see more of Rocky throwing his catchphrases at old people

That said the crowd still hasn't gotten tired of it after 15 minutes and they keep popping hard for all his catchphrases. they definitely couldn't pull this kind of segment off today.

I started watching NXT out of bored recently, and am I the only one that found it way more entertaining than Raw/Smackdown? It's obviously smaller scale and most of the people aren't as pretty, but the writing is just was more relaxed and it really feels like they can do whatever they want.

What struck me as the most weird was how the Diva matches and story lines weren't completely the worst shit ever, I mean, they're still really petty, and Charlotte looks like her dad mixed with Laurel from Arrow, but the in ring matches are pretty entertaining.

I can't be the only one who feels this way... Right?

I started watching NXT out of bored recently, and am I the only one that found it way more entertaining than Raw/Smackdown? It's obviously smaller scale and most of the people aren't as pretty, but the writing is just was more relaxed and it really feels like they can do whatever they want.

What struck me as the most weird was how the Diva matches and story lines weren't completely the worst shit ever, I mean, they're still really petty, and Charlotte looks like her dad mixed with Laurel from Arrow, but the in ring matches are pretty entertaining.

I can't be the only one who feels this way... Right?

Nah dude. NXT is the best. Best characters, best character development, best storylines, best versions of main roster characters, best booking, best crowd, best commentary (when A-Ri isn't involved). best everything

Nah dude. NXT is the best. Best characters, best character development, best storylines, best versions of main roster characters, best booking, best crowd, best commentary (when A-Ri isn't involved). best everything

I think it really is just the more relaxed natured, it even shows in the commentary, the constant sexual inuendo and stupid jokes are way better than the constant play by play. I think not having the pretensions of trying to make everything matter really lets them shine. Like, there was a goddamn match because one guy cut another's dreadlocks. ANYTHING GOES!

That said the crowd still hasn't gotten tired of it after 15 minutes and they keep popping hard for all his catchphrases. they definitely couldn't pull this kind of segment off today.

I'm pretty sure they actually tried to do that segment again recently, and it didn't last nearly as long.

The E should sign AJ styles. Give him one of ghe gimmicks that they want ro use on Wade Barrett. Im still convinced after Bad News is done in a few weeks they shouls bring back the rose and give him a secret agent gimmick.

I imagine AJ will tour the UK in March

Pcw have said they can legally announce an import on the 16th for the 28th feb and March 1st shows and there's no way he'll pay for his flights alone

Anth0ny

I watched the first April show of 98. It was in Long Island, Mick Foley's hometown.

edit: lol, it ended after a minute after Blackman started hitting everyone with a kendo stick and Droz puking on D'Lo

If you guys want a good Attitude Era show, check out January 4th, 1999 RAW. Watch the entire thing.

Looks like it's on youtube. Nice.

Top Bottom