• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

strobogo

Banned
That's just racist!

inZuosZxVqsN9.gif

I hope Bad News Barrett is able to finally reveal what the bigger picture was during the Nexus run.

strobogo

Banned
Mike Tenay is terrible. I don't know why people online ever liked him. He was terrible in WCW and has been significantly worse in TNA. Is it just because he was a smark and knew names of moves? Knowing the names of moves doesn't mean dick when you have an annoying voice, are ultra corny, and have no idea how to tell a story without pointing out the most obvious things and screaming for no reason.

Mike Tenay is terrible. I don't know why people online ever liked him. He was terrible in WCW and has been significantly worse in TNA. Is it just because he was a smark and knew names of moves? Knowing the names of moves doesn't mean dick when you have an annoying voice, are ultra corny, and have no idea how to tell a story without pointing out the most obvious things and screaming for no reason.

Mike Tenay is the Pat Summerall of Pro Wrestling.

I like Mike Tenay in WCW because he appeared once in a while and gave some insight into the Lucha scene. He was like the 4th man on commentary, not the main guy on screen pulling 'Kermit the Frog' faces.

strobogo

Banned
God, Larry was also awful. Dude spent entire shows burying EVERYONE and putting himself over constantly. I have no idea why fans chanted for him every week. Tony/Brain/Dusty was the best WCW commentary team. Well, I really enjoyed Tony/Ventura as well. Ventura/JR was okay, but they didn't have a whole lot of shows together. Scott Hudson was decent until he insisted on making smark references constantly. Mark Madden was awful. Eric Bischoff was awful. Mongo was awful, but at least he said some unbelievably stupid shit from time to time.

80s WWF had the best commentary teams of all time. Vince/Jesse, Vince/Brain, Gorilla/Jesse, Gorilla/Brain. Unbeatable, even if they weren't big on calling all the moves. King has ALWAYS sucked at color. Go back to the pre Attitude Era WWF and listen to his shows. He was unbelievably corny and unfunny (and racist/sexist). Then the Attitude Era came along and all he did was scream and talk about tits. Post Attitude Era, he's been even more corny and unfunny, plus stopped giving any semblance of a shit by 2003. I wish JR had a competent partner in WWE. JR was great. King was always bad. Dude was PERFECT in Memphis, but god awful as a color guy. He was always a low rent Bobby Heenan without the wit and with more dick jokes.

It's so weird because when you see King in Memphis in the early to mid 80s, he's amazing.

I also like Lance Russell. I think I like him more than Gordon Solie. Joey Styles was hit and miss. Sometimes he was great, and sometimes he had way too many smarky references and was calling shitty shows.

Anth0ny

80s WWF had the best commentary teams of all time. Vince/Jesse, Vince/Brain, Gorilla/Jesse, Gorilla/Brain. Unbeatable, even if they weren't big on calling all the moves. King has ALWAYS sucked at color. Go back to the pre Attitude Era WWF and listen to his shows. He was unbelievably corny and unfunny (and racist/sexist). Then the Attitude Era came along and all he did was scream and talk about tits. Post Attitude Era, he's been even more corny and unfunny, plus stopped giving any semblance of a shit by 2003. I wish JR had a competent partner in WWE. JR was great. King was always bad. Dude was PERFECT in Memphis, but god awful as a color guy. He was always a low rent Bobby Heenan without the wit and with more dick jokes.

I thought JR/Heyman was pretty great while it lasted. Unfortunately, when King came back in late 2001, he was creepier than ever...

strobogo

Banned
Yes, Heyman/JR were great in WCW and WWE. I wish Heyman had stayed on as a full time commentator.

A couple of random TNA gifs:

ibtBgbz7AnqFCU.gif

i1vWGDyCH2bFh.gif

iFThNf7WQeUaO.gif

Elix doing the cage walk rana is still one of the craziest spots I've ever seen. It's even crazier when you consider that Elix almost fell 3 times before he even did the walk.

strobogo

Banned
Remember the super long XXX vs SAT/Red match that had Don West standing on the announce table and screaming for Red?

SEX as a group was weird in general. It was like TNA's NWO/New Blood, but even more random. And within SEX, there were sub-stables. And I swear there was a plot point where Russo said he owned the trademark and the remaining guys couldn't use it.

bjork

Larry's dumb voice always made me want to change the channel, then the actual shit he was saying usually succeeded.

G-Fex

What if it's revealed that TNA is just a dream from which Abyss made up from watching WWE/WCW while he's actually a insane man locked up with the rest of what is the TNA roster.

strobogo

Banned
That would make so much sense and I hope that's how the last episode of Impact ends. I hope there is a explanation for why Abyss loves crane camera shots so much. And what his fascination with thumbtacks is. Remember when Abyss did bumps on to thumbtacks almost literally every PPV for 3 years?

TNA is one of the weirdest promotions. It's a bizarre mix of basically every US promotion since 1980 all rolled into one company and done on a sound stage.

An even better last episode of Impact would be Vince Russo waking up in a rehab center with the past 15 years of pro wrestling having been coke withdraw dreams.

strobogo

Banned
I'm too drunk to be watching TNA. Al I can think about is Tenay faces and Russo jerking off onto a number of booking ideas and picking which ones jizz landed on. Holy Fuck. LA PARKA! On a TNA show? How do I not remember this/

strobogo

Banned
Why haven't their been any non-white announcers besides Coach? It's kind of weird. I know black people enjoy pro wrestling. I know Asian people enjoy pro wrestling. I know Europeans enjoy pro wrestling. Yet in America, I can't think of any black/Asian/Euro/African/South American/non white dude commentators besides Coach.

G-Fex

Why haven't their been any non-white announcers besides Coach? It's kind of weird. I know black people enjoy pro wrestling. I know Asian people enjoy pro wrestling. I know Europeans enjoy pro wrestling. Yet in America, I can't think of any black/Asian/Euro/African/South American/non white dude commentators besides Coach.

you're right.

We should've had ahmed johnson on commentary

bjork

Stevie Ray!

Xater

Yes, Heyman/JR were great in WCW and WWE. I wish Heyman had stayed on as a full time commentator.

A couple of random TNA gifs:

http://i.minus.com/ibtBgbz7AnqFCU.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i1vWGDyCH2bFh.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iFThNf7WQeUaO.gif[IMG]

Elix doing the cage walk rana is still one of the craziest spots I've ever seen. It's even crazier when you consider that Elix almost fell 3 times before he even did the walk.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah that cage walk spot was pretty incredible. Probably also very dangerous.

strobogo

Banned
Stevie was a TERRIBLE wrestler, but he was so enjoyable in every other aspect of pro wrestling.

As for Elix, dude could barely handle walking on the ropes. I'm not sure he ever had a match without botching something. He was so sloppy. He was in a lot of good matches in early TNA, but he was so dangerous. Probably more to himself than opponents. If I had been the agent for that match, I definitely wouldn't have approved that spot even if he hadn't been super sloppy and botchy in the past.

A. He was super sloppy and was pretty prone to slipping off the ropes when doing that move.

B. The cage actually had the links sticking out on the top, which meant he wasn't even walking on a level surface.

C. The possibility for him falling into the crowd from the above points was pretty significant.

D. The cage was higher than the normal WCW/WWE cage.

E. Even if he slipped and fell in the ring, the odds of injury were huge to both men.

It went off without a hitch, but it was so dangerous for a non XPW/CZW promotion to do. He actually slipped at least 3 times climbing the cage/trying to figure out a way to stand on the top of the cage. And not only that, the whole match was extremely sloppy and messy from both teams and the production crew, who missed many spots due to TNA's obsession with crane shots. It's really amazing neither guy were hurt from that spot. But really, the older I get, the less I like those super dangerous spots. My knees hurt more every year from jumping off of one step. Seeing all the crazy spots and especially chair shots from mid 90s-2007 are really not nearly as enjoyable to me anymore.

Aiii

So not worth it
You know what bugs me? AJ used to do some nice acrobatics to lock in the Black Widow, and nowadays she just hooks it in from a standing position. I wonder why that is, given the reports from former Divas that they're told to not look so flashy, could it be some idiot backstage told her to stop?

Or is it just because she's been fighting the Bella's for four months and they can't take the move the right way because of their weight/inability to wrestle properly and asked her to do it this way instead?

BFIB

You know what bugs me? AJ used to do some nice acrobatics to lock in the Black Widow, and nowadays she just hooks it in from a standing position. I wonder why that is, given the reports from former Divas that they're told to not look so flashy, could it be some idiot backstage told her to stop?

Or is it just because she's been fighting the Bella's for four months and they can't take the move the right way because of their weight/inability to wrestle properly and asked her to do it this way instead?

Which ever one is with Cena I'm sure made some side comment about how AJ locks it in. Cena demanded that AJ not show up anyone, and she was reprimanded and asked to look worse to make the Bella's look better.

At least that's what is going on in my head.

Top Bottom