• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Rapstah

For all the shit WWE humour gets, I've consistently enjoyed 3MB for months now. It's a very simple joke so it's very easy to get right, and Slater is way funnier as the leader of the worst faction ever (shouting "3MB baby" from the ring apron like they're a big deal) than joke legend killer Slater.

strobogo

Banned
Slater is really the king of the jobbers and perfect in his role. I consider him to be the modern day Kanyon, even more so than Enzo Amore.

Never forget

Daniel-Bryan-CM-Punk-and-Zack-Ryder-after-winning-the-match.jpg

Editors' debate: Who is the most underrated Superstar in WWE?

John Cena

20131212_Article_UnderratedSuperstar_John_Cena.jpg

As a guy who teared up when Mick Foley first won the WWE Title and continually pulled for the underdog, I wasn’t always sure how to feel about John Cena. He was the stereotypical jock with a Clark Kent jawline, the type of beefy Red Sox fan you might see wandering the UMass campus. But here’s the dirty little secret: He’s really, really good.

It almost inexplicable at this point that fans continue to chant “You can’t wrestle!” at a man who so clearly can. For someone with his muscle mass, John Cena’s finesse in the ring is, quite simply, astounding. Watch his versatility countering a bodyslam into a half-nelson spinning neckbreaker, or reversing a chokeslam in mid-air to an implant DDT. And then watch him follow up that savvy with a lariat that would make Stan Hansen proud. Cena’s not just about brushing the dust off his shoulder and socking you in the teeth. But he can do that, too.

You might not realize it, but John Cena has wrestled his way through so many amazing matches in so many styles. From gruesome encounters with JBL, to ECW-style melees against Sabu, to David vs. Goliath trials versus The Great Khali, Cena has won great matches against each and every single one of them. Even in his fantastic series against CM Punk, Cena rarely gets credit for bringing just as much of the drama to those matches as Punk.

There was backlash to Hulk Hogan after one too many Atomic Legdrops. There was even backlash to The Rock when he bailed for Hollywood. We really ought to appreciate Cena while we have him. — ZACH LINDER

BFIB

Guys, I am really enjoying DDPYoga. I'm on my 7th week, and it is crazy how far I've already come with my mobility. Pretty much able to bend straight down and touch my toes. If I could get the rest of this belly out of the way, I could probably get a full bend.

Oh, and Below the Belt is a serious ass kicker.

Rapstah

...to David vs. Goliath trials versus The Great Khali, Cena has won great matches against each and every single one of them. Even in his fantastic series against CM Punk, Cena rarely gets credit for bringing just as much of the drama to those matches as Punk.
Could they please not bring up Great Khali in their worked shoot article about how Cena is actually a good wrestler?

You might not realize it, but John Cena has wrestled his way through so many amazing matches in so many styles.

And shown almost zero ability to adapt in the process - John Cena does the same thing John Cena does every time John Cena gets in the ring, regardless of his opponent, regardless of his place in the current storyline. He's as unchanging as his matches are unmemorable.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In a modern wrestling landscape that too often places a heavy emphasis on aesthetics, Tensai — an updated mash-up of Big Boss Man and Vader — isn’t merely underrated; he’s a necessity for a well-balanced roster.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that

strobogo

Banned
Cena definitely has been in enough good/great matches that it is silly to say he's a bad wrestler. He realized the same thing Hogan realized: You can get the same reactions and sell the same amount of merch by doing less in the ring.

Xater

Cena definitely has been in enough good/great matches that it is silly to say he's a bad wrestler. He realized the same thing Hogan realized: You can get the same reactions and sell the same amount of merch by doing less in the ring.

I don't remember a single Cena match I have ever watched. I think all I have ever seen were either boring or just average at best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Doug Williams in the X-Dvision was the last time I cared about TNA

Man, that Real Americans vs PTP match was pretty good. So many suplexes!

bjork

I don't remember a single Cena match I have ever watched. I think all I have ever seen were either boring or just average at best.

That first Smackdown match he had with Angle was pretty good. I thought he was fun to watch until he got drafted to Raw, now he's just the big guy in the company and those guys have a certain type of match to put on.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He had the match of the year and the third best match of the year.

I don't remember him being involved in Punk vs Lesnar

Even if you believe this (which is perfectly fine, I think it was second best) then he had the second and third best matches all year.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
He had the match of the year and the third best match of the year.

Even if you believe this (which is perfectly fine, I think it was second best) then he had the second and third best matches all year.

Mm, no he wasn't in Ishii vs Shibata or Nakamura vs Ibushi either.

It's just like when Ric Flair watched HBK vs Razor and said that HBK just had a 5 star match with a ladder. You can be a decent wrestler who gets carried by a great wrestler. Doesn't make you a great wrestler. Especially when you're someone like Cena who's so limited that he's basically a 'hurdle' rather than an opponent.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mm, no he wasn't in Ishii vs Shibata or Nakamura vs Ibushi either.

It's just like when Ric Flair watched HBK vs Razor and said that HBK just had a 5 star match with a ladder. You can be a decent wrestler who gets carried by a great wrestler. Doesn't make you a great wrestler. Especially when you're someone like Cena who's so limited that he's basically a 'hurdle' rather than an opponent.

That just isn't true and it's what is truly frustrating about Cena. He's a good wrestler that almost never wrestles like one because he doesn't have to, he's already over as hell.

KissVibes

Banned
I think today should be bury Ryder day. Christian had his day, so it makes sense that his fellow ugly jobber would get a day.

wDg5F.gif

ryder-wheelchair-death.gif

Zack Ryder was the only guy to support Triple H when EVERYONE ELSE walked out on him and he got pedigreed.

Also, his Wheelchair bump off the stage is still fucking awesome. Coulda went soooo poorly.

I'm sad. I could not find a single gif of Christian getting pedigreed

I don't think Triple H has ever fought Christian. Probably because he knew he'd look like a fucking clown against one of the best workers of allll time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Theres also the fact that Cena can't put in 5 star matches every night. Dude is at every single show and does so much more shit outside the ring than every other superstar. Look how fucked the company was when he just missed a few months with an injury and how desperate they were to bring him back as soon as possible. WWE needs Cena a lot more than anybody else in the entire company.

Seriously though Cena managed to make The Miz look alright for that whole Wrestlemania buildup. He managed to make a WM main event with The Miz not implode the entire company.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Theres also the fact that Cena can't put in 5 star matches every night. Dude is at every single show and does so much more shit outside the ring than every other superstar. Look how fucked the company was when he just missed a few months with an injury and how desperate they were to bring him back as soon as possible. WWE needs Cena a lot more than anybody else in the entire company.

Yeah, just about any other wrestler that isn't a midget could have been in the same position. Just like Hogan.

jmdajr

Cena underrated in the ring? I think so. Obviously the matches are not always booked very well, but he has his moments.

antonz

Punk had an epic rant and that helped him. I mean they gave him permission but why he and not others?

Just gotta earn Vince' respect and that's not easy to do. You can earn it and still never be a constant no.1 contender.

edit; Zack Ryder will have more merch sales than any jobber ever.

Oh yeah at his peak Ryder was selling more merch than Rock and even Cena. he got on a ridiculous streak in that regard.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If you took out over half of the matches Cena is in, just the sheer amount he is forced upon us, he would be rated better by a lot of his detractors. Yes he can wrestle well, yes he can pull out more moves then he normally does/is allowed to do, but it's how much is just too similar (same problem with Hogan, King, Sammartino, late Baba, etc) between those moments with the sheer amount that caused diminishing returns so badly.

Half the time the "you can't wrestle" is directly pointed at how he sells something, at that "Cena is really hurt" before he gets right back up like nothing even happened. It's as much as how he reacts in the ring as it is to any moves he might bring out; see that whole ECW One Night Stand build up or comparisons that were made between him and The Rock after the later sold the GTS. Just how terribly he sells so much.

If taken purely as what he can do in the ring or some of his best matches, of course I'm not going to underrate him. If I'm looking at ALL of his many matches, the poor and just awful and boring greatly outweigh the good and make me rate him lower. If I compare him to someone like Okada Kazuchika, I can't rate Cena all that high compared to someone who may have less matches, but far more variety and can adapt and sell better.

Cena being the most important person to the company and therefore irreplaceable is some circular ass logic if there ever was any. Stone Cold would be the most important person to the company today if he never stopped wrestling and John Cena would be a footnote. But luckily for Cena, everyone who came before him stepped aside after spending a few years at the top.

The Mean Street Posse are like the worst pieces of shit ever. They're like Jersey Shore 5 years earlier. Worst gimmick I've seen in my Attitude Era watch so far.

Top Bottom