• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Smackdown had a string of great main event feuds that ran the summer even in recent years... even when the hard brand split was largely ignored.

Kane vs. Undertaker
CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy
Randy Orton vs. Christian

I'm not sure what happened the last two years, though... besides Del Rio shitting things up.
Smackdown evolved into the post-RAW rehash show.
Because clearly what people want after 3 hours of monotony on Monday night is more of those same guys doing nothing of consequence on Friday.
Yeah, SD! was great. The end of the brand split was a serious mistake, imo. Now, too many guys are on one show and there just isn't enough time for all of them. It would be fine if SD! was treated like an actual show, but it's just the new Sunday Night Heat where no storyline progression is made.

Snaku

Banned
So I stopped watching after the Wyatt Family drug Kane off so he could make his movie a few months ago, and decided to check back in to see if he'd returned yet...

YIrkyus.gif

WHY? What in the fuck is this? Here I was hoping they'd bring him back with the full original mask, and then they go and do this shit. I quit watching WWE the last time they unmasked him and shaved his head. Ugh, I hate bald normal Kane. It's like unmasking Rey, or Juventud, or Batman. Fuck off.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So I stopped watching after the Wyatt Family drug Kane off so he could make his movie a few months ago, and decided to check back in to see if he'd returned yet...

YIrkyus.gif

WHY? What in the fuck is this? Here I was hoping they'd bring him back with the full original mask, and then they go and do this shit. I quit watching WWE the last time they unmasked him and shaved his head. Ugh, I hate bald normal Kane. It's like unmasking Rey, or Juventud, or Batman. Fuck off.
He's not Kane right now. He's essentially Glenn Jacobs. Expect him to don the mask and return to monster ways around WM time and when it's time to promote SNE2.

UberTag

Already stopped watching, but I'll probably always pay slight attention to the goings on in WWE - I'm just glad that there's a ton of alternatives out there.
Just hang out in WrassleGAF on Monday nights.
You get all of the exposure to the WWE product that you want and none of the pain and suffering of actually watching it.

Afterwards, go watch some quality NJPW matches. I think I want to watch Wrestle Kingdom 8 live with you guys this year.

G-Fex

YIrkyus.gif

it's Kane's true form. The suit he's meant to be.

Rapstah

He's not Kane right now. He's essentially Glenn Jacobs. Expect him to don the mask and return to monster ways around WM time and when it's time to promote SNE2.

On the contrary, I thought the idea was he unmasked because the character he plays in the movie doesn't wear a mask and it's easier to promote it if Kane doesn't wear a mask either.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
On the contrary, I thought the idea was he unmasked because the character he plays in the movie doesn't wear a mask and it's easier to promote it if Kane doesn't wear a mask either.
Yeah, but they'll likely have him revert to monster Kane for the promotion.

Xater

All it does is make the mask meaningless. They should have never unmasked Kane in the first place.

Rapstah

All it does is make the mask meaningless. They should have never unmasked Kane in the first place.

I really wonder where they would have gone with Kane if the make-up he was supposed to have under the mask didn't sweat off. Couldn't really have had him wear that make-up for real matches so he would've re-masked I guess? What would have been the point of the angle at all?

Edit: On second thought, the "not wearing the mask makes him uncontrollable" gimmick followed by him re-masking makes more sense than what actually happened.

Snaku

Banned

Yeah, I expected him to put the mask back on a few months after his first unmasking. That didn't turn out so fucking well.

I have no problem with Kane being unmasked again, I do have a problem with how they're squandering him and his new gimmick at the moment.
He should act like he's all authoritative and stuff on the surface but explode into monster Kane when his buttons get pushed.

One of the coolest TLC spots...you knew Undertaker was dead after that.

This'll be the the third or maybe even fourth time this year that I'm mentioning how telegraphed and silly that spot ended up looking in actual execution.
Taker engineering his own demise, just lovely.

Plus it's the same finishing spot used at TLC2.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
His unmasking in 2003 saved the character. People may use nostalgia and not remember the bad moments, but Kane in late 2002-early 2003 was probably at his lowest. The unmasking made him a monster again, but that lasted only a short period.

Kaladin

This'll be the the third or maybe even fourth time this year that I'm mentioning how telegraphed and silly that spot ended up looking in actual execution.
Taker engineering his own demise, just lovely.

Plus it's the same finishing spot used at TLC2.

Oh I know. Even looking back on it, you can see Edge looking up at Taker as he's climbing, making sure he's in the right spot before waking. You can tell Taker has set the ladder up too far to the left for even him to realistically reach the belt. You can see Taker check the trajectory of his fall before it's too late before Edge is pushing him over.

It's all telegraphed, but still a cool visual.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I have no problem with Kane being unmasked again, I do have a problem with how they're squandering him and his new gimmick at the moment.
He should act like he's all authoritative and stuff on the surface but explode into monster Kane when his buttons get pushed.
That's how he was in that Cole interview, but remember, Triple H, so no one else is allowed to outshine him.

Vylash

YIrkyus.gif

Please don't speak poorly of Libertarian Kane

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Begging for masked Kane is like one of the shallowest requests in wrestling. Like it'll suddenly deage him 20 years, put him in an amazing storyline, and everyone will love it.

I will never understand the obsession. I see it in every Kane video. It's like people who begged for Rock to come back, and all I could think was 'is that really what you want?'

Kaladin

Kane is perfect as one of Triple H's stooges. Now he just needs Undertaker to come back in that same roll, maybe as Smackdown GM or something. Both highly successful wrestlers from Triple H's era who had their moments but never really outshined Triple H in the big picture.

Begging for masked Kane is like one of the shallowest requests in wrestling. Like it'll suddenly deage him 20 years, put him in an amazing storyline, and everyone will love it.

I will never understand the obsession. I see it in every Kane video. It's like people who begged for Rock to come back, and all I could think was 'is that really what you want?'

I used to be the masked Kane boat but now I'm inclined to agree. Corporate Kane could be the most interesting thing we've seen the character in do in years. However it's all been wasted on him doing absolutely nothing, he could have never come back from filming and nothing would be any different.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The funny thing is that, just like with everything else the WWE has thrown at Glenn Jacobs, he's actually really good at this. The problem is that they just don't use him. He'll go weeks without saying anything on air, and when he does get a chance, he excels. Kane should be the mouthpiece of the Authority.

Aiii

So not worth it
The funny thing is that, just like with everything else the WWE has thrown at Glenn Jacobs, he's actually really good at this. The problem is that they just don't use him. He'll go weeks without saying anything on air, and when he does get a chance, he excels. Kane should be the mouthpiece of the Authority.

I think it's time to realise GGG silently retired and is now working a backstage capacity Soul. I don't think you'll see all that much from him anymore.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think it's time to realise GGG silently retired and is now working a backstage capacity Soul. I don't think you'll see all that much from him anymore.
All I'm asking is for them to let him speak. It seems like that was the idea behind this, and it was a great idea, but just like everything else in the WWE, they either can't or won't find time for him.

Oh I know. Even looking back on it, you can see Edge looking up at Taker as he's climbing, making sure he's in the right spot before waking. You can tell Taker has set the ladder up too far to the left for even him to realistically reach the belt. You can see Taker check the trajectory of his fall before it's too late before Edge is pushing him over.

It's all telegraphed, but still a cool visual.
I guess I can agree on the last point, seeing Taker of all people eat the table stack is a memorable visual.

That's how he was in that Cole interview, but remember, Triple H, so no one else is allowed to outshine him.
See from that interview I thought they were going to roll with that idea but so far nothing.

Seeing as the authority love their 20 minute promos surely at least 5 can be devoted to Kane so he can flesh this thing out further.

UberTag

It'll be like the 5-6 years we saw Sgt. Slaughter come out from the back to break up a scuffle between two wrestlers before they decided to start having him do cameo comedy matches again.
That will now be Corporate Kane's role. He's the new Slaughter.

Anth0ny

kane has been fucking invisible since he went korporate. great character! Pretty sure he's just retired now...

Bryan will join the Wyatts tomorrow or on Raw. it makes no sense so it's perfect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I miss Paul Bearer
whldgwf2snq.gif

15xwtbd8mfd3.gif

Not even Heyman can ham it up on Camera like Moody. Next to Macho Man, I'd say Bearer had the most distinctive and memorable voice in wrestling.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It'll be like the 5-6 years we saw Sgt. Slaughter come out from the back to break up a scuffle between two wrestlers before they decided to start having him do cameo comedy matches again.
That will now be Corporate Kane's role. He's the new Slaughter.
Slaughter didn't do comedy when he was the commissioner.

KissVibes

Banned
TNA's Andy Barton did an interview with IndianTelevision.com:

Competing with WWE: Let me give you a global perspective; we at TNA play the long ball and this strategy relates to the entire world. If we look at the UK market – we have pushed ahead of WWE there and our show is watched more in comparison to WWE week in, week out. Ditto for Germany. In the US of course, it’s going to be tough to carve a space when there is already such an old and established brand and the same is with India.

But looking at the history of the wrestling business, there have been a lot of brands that have come and perished like Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) and obviously World Championship Wrestling (WCW), that was tremendously successful but it just boggles your mind that a company that was making that kind of money and was hugely popular went bust.

There is healthy competition and WWE’s product is different from ours and it’s all going to come down to hard work and it is imperative that we sign on an Indian talent. We have earlier ties with India when we produced ‘Ring Ka King’ with Colors which gave us production capability in the country. We also opened a wrestling school in India. As far as professional wrestling in India is concerned, there isn’t a lot that is happening in this space. I think if we can help with the infrastructure and help the people in India who are interested in getting into professional wrestling.

Talent moving between TNA and WWE: Well, it’s something that depends completely on the superstar, in Kurt [Angle]‘s case – he has been with us for an equal amount of time that he was with WWE. Similarly, Gail Kim too was earlier with WWE, then made the shift to TNA, went back to WWE for a short stint, and has ever since been one of our leading superstars.

Such movements don’t generally work for everyone, but if you take a look at our wrestlers compared to WWE, we are more on the road than them. So it is really encouraging for young talent that wants to be on the road for 300 days a year. And at the end of the day, it’s all about promoting young talent for the industry and keeping the roster fresh to keep the audience hooked to the show.

That said, there comes a time in every wrestler’s time when he has fought everyone and there is no storyline left for him to play either the good guy or the bad guy. That’s when they plan to move across to other brands and refresh their own identity and again strike a chord with a newer set of viewers.

The future of TNA: Well, it’s only going to be growth, growth and more growth. WWE has been in its incarnation ever since Vince Junior took over from his dad nearly 30 years ago while we have been around for 12 years. So, I think it is for us to create the legacy of an entertainment company that will last and thus, we need to sign more and greater talent, more live events, better storylines and so on.

We have no off-season, we work all 52 weeks a year - so the toll that it takes on the staff is immense - from those who write the show, to the crew that works on VFX and post production, from the ground staff to the wrestlers and referees.

In terms of India, this is the genesis of something big. I see many more visits to the country; we will be ensuring that we are in constant touch with our fan base out here through various initiatives, and I hope that within a short span of time, we will be able to build the TNA brand and further hold live events here that will be telecast globally. We hope to bring down our superstars and get them to put on a full three hour show and sign autographs and interact with fans here.

somedevil

TNA's Andy Barton did an interview with IndianTelevision.com:

This interview. Why do they make it so easy for people to make fun of them. One they are on free In England and the WWE is not. Also, TNA canceled house shows in Germany due to low ticket sales.

Also, he is right about young talent but TNA has none of them because of there reputation and how they pay them. Its gotten so bad they are using two real life 150 pound jobbers as characters on the show.

People will take this more seriously if they actually get talent like Richards, Cole, Briscoes, ricochet, Karl Anderson, Devitt and Edwards.

I got no sympy for Paige if she tears a lip ring while wrestling Brie Bella. How can you have sympy for someone that has an object that distorts their beauty and is dangerous? Still a babe though.

Guzim

17% Tyson Kidd
8% Damien Sandow
5% Tensai
15% John Cena
26% Antonio Cesaro
24% Seth Rollins
4% Alicia Fox

Here's what the WWE.com article said about Cena:

As a guy who teared up when Mick Foley first won the WWE Title and continually pulled for the underdog, I wasn’t always sure how to feel about John Cena. He was the stereotypical jock with a Clark Kent jawline, the type of beefy Red Sox fan you might see wandering the UMass campus. But here’s the dirty little secret: He’s really, really good.

It almost inexplicable at this point that fans continue to chant “You can’t wrestle!” at a man who so clearly can. For someone with his muscle mass, John Cena’s finesse in the ring is, quite simply, astounding. Watch his versatility countering a bodyslam into a half-nelson spinning neckbreaker, or reversing a chokeslam in mid-air to an implant DDT. And then watch him follow up that savvy with a lariat that would make Stan Hansen proud. Cena’s not just about brushing the dust off his shoulder and socking you in the teeth. But he can do that, too.

You might not realize it, but John Cena has wrestled his way through so many amazing matches in so many styles. From gruesome encounters with JBL, to ECW-style melees against Sabu, to David vs. Goliath trials versus The Great Khali, Cena has won great matches against each and every single one of them. Even in his fantastic series against CM Punk, Cena rarely gets credit for bringing just as much of the drama to those matches as Punk.

There was backlash to Hulk Hogan after one too many Atomic Legdrops. There was even backlash to The Rock when he bailed for Hollywood. We really ought to appreciate Cena while we have him.

We really should appreciate Cena.

Top Bottom