• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

strobogo

Banned

ifrNfq04yreUP.gif

gnrmjd

Did I hear somewhere that Vince used to not like batista's heel promos or am I making that up? Personally I thought they were amazing.

strobogo

Banned
That's a terrible way for the GOAT to go out. But we all thought that about Sid and he got to squash the king of the jobbers on Raw last year.

Ithil

That's like going from 80s and 90s Ric Flair, to suddenly being transported to 2010s Ric Flair. Or watching Cactus Jack tear it up in WCW and ECW, then suddenly cutting to 2013 Mick Foley struggling to walk around.

Shitty end to a great career.

strobogo

Banned
I disagree. Sid in 2012 was basically the same as Sid in 2001. He got to do fist bumps, a chokeslam, and a powerbomb. He made it a win.

Ithil

So who's gonna be the one that "breaks" their leg mid match come Monday night?

"Hey Vince did you see the Anderson Silva/Chris Weidman match? That broken leg was nasty!"

"ANDERSON? MR. ANDERSON? I THOUGHT I FIRED THAT GUY!? AND CHRIS MASTERS? I FIRED THAT BIG MASTODON TOO! BROKEN SOMETHING? OK WE'RE GONNA DO A SEGMENT WHERE SANTINO BREAKS HIS RIB AND THEN JBL CAN SAY "JUST LIKE CHRIS MASTERS!" I AM A PROMOTING GENIUS DAMMIT"

strobogo

Banned
But it was Bart, not Billy Gunn. Half the dudes got injured, Dr. Death's career was ruined, and Bart got murdered at WM15. The only guy it even kind of worked out for was Bart, who got a career in Japan since he legitimately beat Dr. Death.

I'm going to try to get a hold of the DVDVR Best of Memphis set. Very few seeders left. They did these great 10-20 disc comps for a number of territories. I don't know why they sold them instead of put them online for everyone, though. They should have taken donations for the time put in, but selling comps of stuff they don't own instead of sharing it for everyone seemed weird to me. They did a best of WCCW, AJPW, NJPW, and WWF for sure, all of 70s and 80s stuff I believe. Seems like shit you'd want to put on Youtube/Dailymotion/whatever and let everyone see stuff they otherwise wouldn't instead of paying someone $100 to send you 15 burned DVDs of VHS footage.

daemissary

The Boss thought everyone would like to see this:

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2013/12/wwe-1997-2013-win-percentages.html

WWF/E 1997-2013 Win Percentages

Are those actually right? All 3 of the shield members having a winning percentage well below 50% for 2013 doesn't feel like it could possibly be correct unless they've lost a ton of random singles matches on Superstars that I don't know about.

I'm going to try to get a hold of the DVDVR Best of Memphis set. Very few seeders left. They did these great 10-20 disc comps for a number of territories. I don't know why they sold them instead of put them online for everyone, though. They should have taken donations for the time put in, but selling comps of stuff they don't own instead of sharing it for everyone seemed weird to me. They did a best of WCCW, AJPW, NJPW, and WWF for sure, all of 70s and 80s stuff I believe. Seems like shit you'd want to put on Youtube/Dailymotion/whatever and let everyone see stuff they otherwise wouldn't instead of paying someone $100 to send you 15 burned DVDs of VHS footage.

Probably because it took a lot more work than you think to acquire that footage, put it together, and send it out. A lot of the footage that's out on the Internet now is a direct result of those half a dozen to a dozen guys on the DVDVR board buying and acquring tapes (sometimes, literal tapes, as in reel to reel), video, and so on, and converting it to DVD. This wasn't exactly copying over a Shawn Michaels DVD over and calling it a comp.

strobogo

Banned
Probably because it took a lot more work than you think to acquire that footage, put it together, and send it out. A lot of the footage that's out on the Internet now is a direct result of those half a dozen to a dozen guys on the DVDVR board buying and acquring tapes (sometimes, literal tapes, as in reel to reel), video, and so on, and converting it to DVD. This wasn't exactly copying over a Shawn Michaels DVD over and calling it a comp.

Perhaps, but it still seemed kind of shady to try to sell DVDs of footage these people didn't own. I think they should have taken donations, which they no doubt would have received, instead of selling them. There really was no need to put them on discs. They should have been put online to begin with. I was at that board for years and it seemed weird to me even back then.

It never seemed that weird to me, perhaps because I've been buying tapes and comps since the late 90's, when there was no other option if you wanted to see the footage. No doubt a lot of hard work went into producing the sets, however, and perhaps donations were/are a better route - still, you're either charging people for footage you don't own, or holding footage you don't own hostage until you get enough donations. Either way, it's shady.

strobogo

Banned
I think you should release it and ask for donations. The DVDVR board definitely would haven given donations. I think it is shady to sell stuff you don't own, but even more offensive as a wrestling fan to deny other fans of great stuff so you can make a buck. Those comps weren't made in the mid-late 90s. They were made in the mid 2000s when they could have been put up on torrent sites/Megaupload/etc and shared with everyone. I can't imagine having some great shit, reviewing it, but not letting anyone else actually watch it unless they pay me for it. The idea of dicking over my fellow WrassleGAFfers and general IWC like that is ridiculous to me. The first thing I'd do was digitize it and put it online.

It reminds me very much of the GNR fan community. There are people who have legitimate unreleased songs who try to sell them, then there are people who are pretending to have shit to sell just to scam people out of money. Then you have people who try to sell bootlegs of shows instead of sharing them with other fans. It makes no sense to me why you wouldn't want to share the good stuff with like minded people instead of try to make a buck off it. But I guess that's why I'm a possible alcoholic and unemployed.

If I ever come across a ton of Memphis stuff, I promise to put it online so everyone can watch. Same goes for Kane footage, but mostly for Soul.

KissVibes

Banned
But but but he lost those 3 matches. Clearly he had a bad year.

LOL Dolph Ziggler only above 50% while in the Spirit Squad.

Wasn't Kenny Dykstra supposed to be the big breakout star of that group? I wasn't watching then but didn't he have a major feud with Ric and the four horsemen?

i just know he's always talking shit about WWE. Which is a shame because he's still pretty young. Coulda been brought back.

I think you should release it and ask for donations.

That doesn't always work, though - ditch is constantly having to remind people that his site wouldn't exist without donations, to the degree that it makes me think he isn't getting enough to cover his server costs. There will always be a larger majority of people who want shit entirely for free than there are people willing to donate a bit of money for someone's hard work. I'm not saying that's a good enough reason for selling this stuff, though - some people just want to make a quick buck.

strobogo

Banned
I'm using some things from Ditch's site right now as it turns out. But we're in an age where he could put all of his stuff up on YT/Daily Motion/other video sites, or places like MEGA and not have to incur the server fees.

That doesn't always work, though - ditch is constantly having to remind people that his site wouldn't exist without donations, to the degree that it makes me think he isn't getting enough to cover his server costs. There will always be a larger majority of people who want shit entirely for free than there are people willing to donate a bit of money for someone's hard work. I'm not saying that's a good enough reason for selling this stuff, though - some people just want to make a quick buck.

This was in no way, a "quick buck." Again, this wasn't making a 3rd generation tape of a AJPW TV show you bought off Jeff Lynch or in the modern era, ripping a couple of different matches off some recently released WWE Blu-Ray's.

In a lot of cases, they either had to access the footage themselves, either by buying it from people who owned the tapes of the footage, mass buying in bulk various known footage that was out there, or transferring footage they bought to 21st century media.

So, yeah, they don't own the footage or the copyrighted material, but they put a whole heck of a lot work, and I'm not even counting the work of actually going though years of footage to create the sets, so I don't begrudge them making a couple of bucks.

It's not like they're likely to profit off this. Then again, I'm also just old enough that I don't believe that I should get any kind of media I want for free simply because it exists.

I'm using some things from Ditch's site right now as it turns out. But we're in an age where he could put all of his stuff up on YT/Daily Motion/other video sites, or places like MEGA and not have to incur the server fees.

Until it gets taken down by a random copyright violation or because the government finds a way to take down MEGA, like they did Megaupload.

strobogo

Banned
I get completely what you're saying. I understand the work that goes into it. But me personally, I can't imagine finding all that stuff and not putting it up for everyone to see. As a life long wrestling fan, I would want to share it with everyone. Then again, I probably wouldn't go to the trouble to track people down and convert reel to reel tapes.

Talking of sets, I finally freed up enough HDD space to grab the Orange half of the GCW collection. Already got the Green half, which is 1978-1980, while the Orange set is 1980-1982. So much awesome stuff on these tapes, I just wish the quality was better.

So, yeah, they don't own the footage or the copyrighted material, but they put a whole heck of a lot work, and I'm not even counting the work of actually going though years of footage to create the sets, so I don't begrudge them making a couple of bucks.

Me either, but it's not just the guys who created the sets making the money - there's numerous traders out there selling copies of the DVDVR sets, Lynch's sets, etc. Those people really are trying to make a quick buck, but it'd be that much harder for them if the person making the set used a donation method and the sets were freely available. Like I said, though, I have no problem paying people for their hard work, so I'm glad to own a fair few sets bought from the person who went to all the trouble of making them.

Striker

Wasn't Kenny Dykstra supposed to be the big breakout star of that group? I wasn't watching then but didn't he have a major feud with Ric and the four horsemen?

i just know he's always talking shit about WWE. Which is a shame because he's still pretty young. Coulda been brought back.
I think his time ended when he was in a war of words (it might have had to do with Thickie Mickie) with Cena. The new '96 HBK.

Rapstah

Continuing my quest of typing "is <wrestler name>" into Google and seeing what it suggests, apparently the number one question people have about Ryback is "is Ryback Goldberg". Higher than "is Ryback Skip Skeffield".

Edit:
isrtruthd8ehz.png

The average Googler is a pretty rough comedian.

Son Of D

Thought I'd try the whole Google "Is [wrestler]" thing myself. Mostly it was just "Is [wrestler] dead/gay/married/coming back?" but I tried Triple H and got this.

goodforbusinessxyud0.png

Kaladin

That Silva leg break looks like a WWE 2k14 glitch, except in 2k14, the kick would have connected and both would have acted like nothing happened.

bjork

you're either charging people for footage you don't own, or holding footage you don't own hostage until you get enough donations. Either way, it's shady.

Agreed. I understand these are the only ways some of this footage will ever surface, but it's still not entirely on the up and up.

charsace

John Cena buried him back stage. Speaking Cena and buried, Edge and Jericho told a story on Jericho's podcast about Cena making a call that lead to the burial of nexus and Barrett. Then after the event he went to Jericho and Edge and told them they were right about his idea for the finish being stupid. As if Cena didn't know he was burying the group with the call he made. This dude is straight Hulk Hogan. Buries guys and then pretends he didn't know what the result would be.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Kenny was with Mickie and there was stories about John fucking Mickie? Or something? Something like that. But yeah, that was the first career 'totally good guy' John Cena killed.

somedevil

Well for Cena's WrestleMania match:

Regarding the news that Bray Wyatt vs. John Cena may take place at WrestleMania XXX, that was the plan as of this past Tuesday. The match wouldn't necessarily main event the pay-per-view.

Meltzer already backtracked it being the Main Event. If this match happens I bet Hogan will be in Cena's corner. Also, Bray has to win this match.

Top Bottom