• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ithil

Last week on Bauer and Pollock they were talking about how fucking impossible it would be for Vince to launch a successful network.

Apparently, Oprah's network was a huge failure. Oprah had a hugely successful talk show (FAR higher ratings than Raw ever did, besides maybe a couple of episodes during 98. Averaged 8 million viewers when it went off the air), a hugely successful magazine, her own book club, and a bunch of other shit. Basically, if anyone could launch a successful network, it was fucking Oprah.

But it didn't work out (according to Bauer). And this WWE Network sure as fuck won't work out. We already get how many hours of free television a week? 10 with Main Event, Total Divas and all that other crap? What programming are they going to put on this network? Old episodes of Raw and Nitro? Old PPVs and documentaries? They think people are going to pay $15 a month for that crap?

Even if they throw PPVs in, it won't be enough. In this era, everyone just fucking pirates ppvs anyways. No one is asking for a wrestling channel in 2013. No one wants to watch the programming they give for free, let alone pay for it. It might have worked in 2000, but they are sending this thing out to die.

I guess when Vince gets an idea in his head, he just doesn't give a fuck. This is looking like XFL 2.0 right now.

Christ.

i cant

just...

how the fuck do they not see this coming?
I would, for the bolded. Not 15, but maybe 5-9 dollars. Seeing the WWE's tape library in top quality on TV would be wonderful. But I don't actually expect them to do that, except maybe on the overnight shows. The rest will probably be shitty reality shows and dopey things made just for the Network, because god fucking knows, when you've got thousands and thousands of hours of tapes from almost all defunct wrestling promotions in US history, it's really hard to fill up time on a TV channel.

Whatever, it's not even going to be in my country anyway.

Anth0ny

I would, for the bolded. Not 15, but maybe 5-9 dollars. Seeing the WWE's tape library in top quality on TV would be wonderful. But I don't actually expect them to do that, except maybe on the overnight shows. The rest will probably be shitty reality shows and dopey things made just for the Network, because god fucking knows, when you've got thousands and thousands of hours of tapes from almost all defunct wrestling promotions in US history, it's really hard to fill up time on a TV channel.

Whatever, it's not even going to be in my country anyway.

Well I would too. But how many of us are there?

I think they'd have better luck teaming up with Netflix or some shit. Create some kind of WWE Netflix program with old Raws, PPVs, documentaries and random stuff via a subscription service. A network is way too much work and way too expensive when you consider the demand.

Vylash

Last week on Bauer and Pollock they were talking about how fucking impossible it would be for Vince to launch a successful network.

Apparently, Oprah's network was a huge failure. Oprah had a hugely successful talk show (FAR higher ratings than Raw ever did, besides maybe a couple of episodes during 98. Averaged 8 million viewers when it went off the air), a hugely successful magazine, her own book club, and a bunch of other shit. Basically, if anyone could launch a successful network, it was fucking Oprah.

But it didn't work out (according to Bauer). And this WWE Network sure as fuck won't work out. We already get how many hours of free television a week? 10 with Main Event, Total Divas and all that other crap? What programming are they going to put on this network? Old episodes of Raw and Nitro? Old PPVs and documentaries? They think people are going to pay $15 a month for that crap?

Even if they throw PPVs in, it won't be enough. In this era, everyone just fucking pirates ppvs anyways. No one is asking for a wrestling channel in 2013. No one wants to watch the programming they give for free, let alone pay for it. It might have worked in 2000, but they are sending this thing out to die.

I guess when Vince gets an idea in his head, he just doesn't give a fuck. This is looking like XFL 2.0 right now.
Oh cool someone else who listens to Bauer and Pollock. But like you said it would be much smarter to partner with Netflix and maybe Hulu and just throw things up on there, between that and their Youtube channel they can have some decent revenue coming in, but instead Vince is focused on this network in an age where this thing has no chance to succeed.

gurudyne

I think they'd have better luck teaming up with Netflix or some shit. Create some kind of WWE Netflix program with old Raws, PPVs, documentaries and random stuff via a subscription service. A network is way too much work and way too expensive when you consider the demand.

We'll get Internet streaming right after post-production hologram technology takes off.

Ithil

I would kill just for any wrestling documentary that isn't "woe is me, look how sad I am" or designed and heavily edited so that non wrestling watchers can look at these people with pity or to laugh at them.

The closest we have is Wrestling Road Diaries and some of the NHK stuff, but that's a brief snippet rather than a full documentary of real look into how things are done like I can get for most every other subject I can possibly think of.

My dream one would be the start and running, with either failure (with hope at the end for wrestlers going elsewhere) or prosperity, of a promotion. Baring that, WWE could do something with NXT, just follow a dozen or so people all the way up until they have their first match as part of the main roster.

I would also settle for Kenny Omega's Walk Down Japanese Streets. Wouldn't be about wrestling, but I would still be entertained by the fact he is still constantly amazed by everything he sees.

I understand it's a niche area, but I would find just straight documentarys or shows based on non-kayfabe wrestling training fascinating, especially for the WWE with their state of the art facility and huge developmental roster.
It seems to me that's the sort of thing they should have on the network, a weekly show just catching you up on the progress of things at the Performance Centre. No soap opera E! Network storylines, just watching rookies grow and indie veterans adapt. Like a toned down Tough Enough without the competition.

Given how the Performance Center is covered in cameras, it's not even hard to do. But I understand WWE would see this sort of show as not "marketable" and thus not worth putting together. Which, given they will need 24 hours of shows, 7 days a week (or at least 18 hours if they are offline during the night), if this Network goes up, as silly and a luxury they can't afford; they will be begging for shows to fill up that time.

Stuff like Legends House or whatever other nonsense they already filmed for it is going to take up about 12 hours in total out of 1000 hours a weekly show would air. They better have realised just how much time there is in a day when you're running shows nonstop round the clock. They can only do so many recap shows for RAW.

Something I think they might see as viable would be a full episode length version of "Outside the Ring", which they do every once in a while on youtube. Weekly episodes of that following one member of the WWE or NXT roster on their routines/hobbies/etc would be neat. But time consuming enough to make. Have they realised just how expensive making all these shows to fill up time on the Network (if they aren't going to rely mainly on the tape library) is going to become?

jred2k

I wish they'd just sell access to their library to Netflix. They might not see as high a return, but they wouldn't have the infrastructure costs and Netflix is already fairly global.

charsace

Just revive the cruiserweight belt, merge the double E belts, dissolve the IC and US belt into the UN belt or something.

Buckle down on tag teams and high flyers for your undercard, gotdam.

Bringing back the cruiser belt is a bad idea. Vince would make it a joke again and would use it to keep Bryan, Rollins and others away from the main title.

There were about 250,000 subscribers to the WWE Classics network, so around that maybe, give or take 10% depending on the price and the availability of the network.

Without B-level PPV's or possible all non-Wrestlemania PPV's as something to grab viewers, a network would be a horrible failure and the thing that might actually sink Vince, not his booking.

LOL at the SD spoilers
looks like Orton defeated Bryan, and it was a clean defeat.

Also TNA champion spoilers
they gave the belt to Magnus, this should be interesting.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The cruiser-weight belt is a bad idea simply because there is no longer that horrible and unneeded divide between talent that prevented so many great matches from happening. That Bret Hart segment about "hypnosis" told it all.

I wouldn't mind return of a belt that does have a special rule behind it though. Something along the lines of the ROH Pure Championship or a submission championship like some of the European camps did.

Edit: Only talking about WWE here. Other promotions, such divides can work out well. I do love some Mini-star championships matches. Traditional British wrestling with or without Admiral-Lord Mountevans rules can get away with weight divides as well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Well, they do try and give some sense of being mental distracted with recent actions. It's not very good of course and doesn't show up in ring, but at least it's something.

DominoKid

LOL at the SD spoilers

Hell they gotta at least try to
make it believable that Orton has a shot at beating Cena so why not let him beat Bryan clean right now.

they've already dug themselves into a million holes w/ this plotline so what's one more.

If they make it like Netflix, I'm all in. Give me the option to watch what I want. Open up all the old 80s wrestling. AWA, WCW, WWF, etc.

LOL at the SD spoilers

What? Are we reading the same thing? Cause I read that
the finish came when The Wyatt Family distracted Bryan, allowing Orton to hit him with the RKO for the pinfall. Bray Wyatt again asked Bryan to join The Wyatt Family.

Oprah was a failure because she was lazy idiot about it. Somebody probably put the idea in her head that she should have her own network, that it wouldn't be much work and she went you know what I should have my own network. She didn't tape new episodes of her hit show, It had little to no new original programming and the philosophy of the network was wholesome programming (LOL). When things started to get bad for that network Oprah finally decided okay ill do some original programing for this network but it was too late. They even started creating their own "filthy" reality shows on it. At least WWE looks like they are putting lots of work into this and slowly doing it and not rushing it out. Although realistically this should have been some sort of online Netflix type service than a full on channel but Vince will be Vince and get that channel before he dies

UberTag

Hell they gotta at least try to
make it believable that Orton has a shot at beating Cena so why not let him beat Bryan clean right now.
But-but-but
Bryan's going to win the Royal Rumble and uh... defeat Cena for the unified championship at WrestleMania... and that's why they never let him get over during the summer because they were building to this and... <cough>

guys bryan is winning the rumble to win the belt off cena at mania still right
D.Brine will make it to the Final 2 or 3 of the Rumble to troll everyone and then get eliminated. Your winner will be CM Punk, Roman Reigns, Triple H or... Surprise #30 entrant Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson so we can have Thrice in a Lifetime at Mania.

D.Brine will also be the last person eliminated in one of the Elimination Chamber matches to troll everyone. Hell, maybe he'll be the last person eliminated in BOTH Elimination Chamber matches.

DMczaf

xIfKwtO.jpg

Think it's Alexa Bliss. They're using her as a ring announcer now.
LOL at the SD spoilers

Apparently in the first one,
Wyatts distracted D Bry

But for the second one, loooool seriously?

tm24

Oh man, i just realized that Konnan has known about the Sin Cara thing for a while and has secretly been building towards Sin Cara/Mistico coming to AAA

Alucard

Banned
Think it's Alexa Bliss. They're using her as a ring announcer now.

Apparently in the first one,
Wyatts distracted D Bry

But for the second one, loooool seriously?

What's wrong with the second one?
It's Dixie's hand-picked champ.

Another TNA spoiler about champs...
Aries is winning the X-Division title either this week or next.

miserable

D.Brine will also be the last person eliminated in one of the Elimination Chamber matches to troll everyone. Hell, maybe he'll be the last person eliminated in BOTH Elimination Chamber matches.

Why would there be two EC Matches if there is only one unified champion?

What's wrong with the second one?
It's Dixie's hand-picked champ.

Another TNA spoiler about champs...
Aries is winning the X-Division title either this week or next.
I haven't watched TNA since BFG, so I wouldn't know about
the Dixie's hand-picked champ stuff. But Magnus is always hyped up as "the future" and a "rising star" but i think he's just average. Like, he's the future because he's the youngest guy there

Jamie OD

Oh man, i just realized that Konnan has known about the Sin Cara thing for a while and has secretly been building towards Sin Cara/Mistico coming to AAA

It probably will happen but just be careful of what you hear from Konnan. Not always the most reliable source. Then again I don't think CMLL wants Cara/Mistico back anytime soon because he left on bad terms.

KissVibes

Banned
I realized that all the stupid decisions WWE has been making KINDA make sense in a way.

If they really have been planning to merge the belts for awhile, it makes sense that Sandow wouldn't win his cash-in and Cena was once again, made to look like Superman after surviving that assault. It also makes sense that he would be the one to feud with Big E. over the IC because that's taking the place of the WHC.

It also makes sense to have Punk feud with The Shield, if the goal is to get him into a short program with Ambrose to elevate the US title a little because it would be moving up a rank too. Ambrose and Punk have some matches until Punk breaks off for whatever he's doing for WM. Get a guy like Fandango (NOT THE MIZ OR KOFI) to feud with Ambrose and really show off the wrestling talent people say Fandango has and you may get people to care about the US title again. I don't think they'll add another belt.

MAYBE if the WWE Network actually happens we'll see the return of the crusierweight belt. There's just no point right now, however, to add another singles title when 2014 is planned to be all about tag teams and Divas.

ALTHOUGH They may add Diva tag titles because of that stupid-ass reality show. I hope they don't. It's already bad enough that the division is so fucking awful and they keep having such embarrassing matches because TOTAL DIVAS ON THE E! NETWORK! Has nobody in the WWE seen a women's match on the indies before? They have a lot to learn.

Why would there be two EC Matches if there is only one unified champion?

IC title Elimination Chamber.

ALTHOUGH They may add Diva tag titles because of that stupid-ass reality show. I hope they don't. It's already bad enough that the division is so fucking awful and they keep having such embarrassing matches because TOTAL DIVAS ON THE E! NETWORK! Has nobody in the WWE seen a women's match on the indies before? They have a lot to learn.

You'll be a lot happier when you realize the Diva division isn't about women wrestling. It's about adding something to maybe increase women 18-39 ratings slightly and giving the wrestlers an available release valve so they aren't getting in trouble with fans.

Top Bottom