• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Bwahaha, don't worry, I found it funny.

TenKoji vs Anderson & Doc in the Finals, should be a fun match. Hoping for a Bullet Club win, though, if only for a fresh match-up at the Tokyo Dome. Please, no more TenKoji vs KES.

ghostmind

Bwahaha, don't worry, I found it funny.

TenKoji vs Anderson & Doc in the Finals, should be a fun match. Hoping for a Bullet Club win, though, if only for a fresh match-up at the Tokyo Dome. Please, no more TenKoji vs KES.

Even though I was seeing predictions for KES vs Bullet Club for the finals, I think this makes more sense, as it gives the crowd someone to cheer for. I'm hoping for a Bullet Club win as well, even though I have a soft spot for Kojima.

Next up Ibushi vs. Devitt (and two other clowns, who I hope stay in their corners). Preview of Wrestle Kingdom.

Edit: Captain New Japan died on his way back to his home planet

When will Iizuka's madness end? Poor Nogami;

iOz4vIX3u6Yf1.gif

tm24 said:
Stro, can you post a tutorial on how you do your gifs?

I think he uses GifCam;

http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21

It's super easy. All you need extra is a image editor to resize the gif once you're done.

That was a pretty fun 10-man tag - the 2nd half of this show's been rather lacklustre, though. Hopefully the main event should prove to be the killer match this show needs.

Fun main event! An OK show overall, not one of New Japan's best, but the 10-man tag and the main event are well worth a watch.

Only 1 iPPV left this year, Road to Tokyo Dome on December 21st - no word on the card, as of yet.

Also, some stuff confirmed (or sort of confirmed) for Wrestle Kingdom;

. Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale
. Minoru Suzuki vs Toru Yano, in some form
K.E.S. (c) vs Anderson & Gallows

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fun main event! An OK show overall, not one of New Japan's best, but the 10-man tag and the main event are well worth a watch.

Only 1 iPPV left this year, Road to Tokyo Dome on December 21st - no word on the card, as of yet.

Also, some stuff confirmed (or sort of confirmed) for Wrestle Kingdom;

K.E.S. (c) vs Anderson & Gallows

I didn't have faith in Fale until recently. He can actually go, and Makabe can carry him if not.

Missed the show last night, as expected but hey.

strobogo

Banned
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE has really been knocking it out of the park on their YouTube channel. There's SO much there, so many full-length matches (and PPV matches) it's almost a preview of the WWE Network. And it's all pristine, too. Batista vs John Cena...man I miss that man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH-PAdoRPw0

Batista really brought the best out of Cena - Cena doesn't get that mixed reaction we're so used to now.

Striker

Batista should've gone over at WM.

I watched the Cena/Lashley match from GAB 2007 earlier. Lashley had a nice set of moves (spear isn't Rhyno or Goldberg though) and athleticism. Cena's offense was horrific. Curt rolling in his grave at his fisherman suplex attempt.

Suzuki vs yano again. !?!!

No thanks

Not sure if it'll be a singles match or a tag match or whatever, but Yano said he had a "surprise" for Suzuki at the Tokyo Dome. This had better be the end of it, though.

Oh yeah, I also forgot that Goto came to the ring and confronted Shibata, who agreed to face him at the Tokyo Dome.

So that's;

. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (c) vs Forever Hooligans vs Time Splitters vs TAKA & Taichi
. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) vs Kota Ibushi
. Katsuyori Shibata vs Hirooki Goto
. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles:
K.E.S. (c) vs Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito

Add some random multi-man tag for the dark match and, possibly, some KENTA involvement, or something to do with Daichi Hashimoto, and that card looks pretty complete.

I didn't have faith in Fale until recently. He can actually go, and Makabe can carry him if not.

Yeah, I'm enjoying Fale a lot more recently - also, I think the Bad Luck Fall is a better finisher than that Samoan Spike/Choke Slam thing he used to do.

inMnEyrYipWV0.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When do y'all want the 2nd Annual WrassleGAF Awards Voting to go up? Right after Slammiez?

DMczaf

Oh man, I'm actually unsure of what to vote for What a Maneuver Award.

Spear? The Move That Beat John Cena? Big Swing?

Damn!

Kaladin

Apparently a fan on reddit decided to go to a WWE Live event high on shrooms....this is his report of the evening:

At around a quarter to seven PM, I took about two grams of psilocybe cubensis mushrooms with another redditor at an undisclosed location. We then took the #135 bus deep into east Vancouver to see WWE live at the Agrodome.

When I bought my tickets, my plan was to invite a random from OKCupid to come with me as a date because I thought it would be hilarious and awkward and a really great way to freak out a 'normal'. Those plans fell through at the last minute, specifically when the random clued in that I was trying to take them to wrestling, so I turned to my friend who's not a fan of wrestling and asked if he would like to take drugs and go see WWE with me.

'That sounds like the premise for a VICE article,' he said. I agreed and we both decided that it would be a really good idea and totally not at all irresponsible or dangerous. I spent the afternoon prepping him, mostly by watching Big E. Langston's Instagram videos.

The effects hit me strong when we get off the bus at Hastings and Renfrew. The mild stomach discomfort becomes a peculiar warm and cuddly sensation all over my body. We are both giggling as we walk towards the searchlights in the distance.

When we get into the arena, the opening match is already in progress and literally everyone in the arena is chanting 'Axel sucks.' We can't figure out how to get to the floor and end up walking up and down the stairs several times before we find our seats. I see an elderly Indian woman in a John Cena t-shirt and my eyes start watering for some reason.

Xavier Woods enters the ring wearing a sparkly jacket. His entrance video looks like an animated gif image. He becomes my favourite wrestler. During the match, I experience severe time dilation as Hunico gives him a backdrop and then puts him in a chinlock again and again. I feel as though the match is stuck in an infinite loop and Hunico will continue to backdrop Xavier Woods forever. They do this spot for what feels like five or six times before Xavier finally backflips out of it and takes Hunico to the woodshed. Someone behind me yells that Xavier Woods looks like Richard Pryor and I spend a lot of time thinking about whether that was racist or not, considering he doesn't.

There is a divas match. I am looking at AJ standing on the apron and it strikes me how before these people were characters on a TV show, electron pulses on a screen, and now I can see the light reflecting off AJ's midriff and I can see the texture of her skin in infinitesimal detail down to the pores. Tamina doesn't tag her in. I count AJ's ribs.

I look over at my friend and he is slowly waving his hand in front of his face and at first I think he is doing the Cena thing but then I realize he is also really high.

During Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton's match, Daniel elbows Orton in the face so hard that, swear to god, a bloody tooth flies out of his mouth. I feel like these two could wrestle eachother again and again for the next thousand years and it would never not be amazing. Orton does so many little things in the ring that are so perfect that you really have to watch him closely to pick up on, and it kills me that I have to boo him on principle because he's so good but Daniel Bryan is from the Pacific Northwest and weird looking and therefore My Guy.

I yell 'dishonourable discharge' at Orton when he's near my corner but he doesn't hear me.

Any time anyone goes on the microphone, all I can hear is 'womp womp womp womp womp womp.' Tony Chimel goes on the microphone and says 'womp womp womp womp womp fifteen minute intermission.'

I go to buy a Fandango t-shirt but they don't have any.

It is when Los Matadores come out around nine o'clock that I realize I am peaking. El Torito comes out and I begin screaming. I have never been as excited by anything in my life. I cannot put into words the elation I am experiencing watching him run down the rampway. I feel as though millions of years of human evolution and history have led to me being here, watching a small man in a bull costume jump on the ropes and wave at people. I start tearing up again and try to start an El Torito chant, but then 3MB comes out and all the brown kids freak out over Jinder Mahal. He has never, ever been more over than he was tonight.

My friend is disappointed that there are no other mini wrestlers to fight El Torito, but I say it was enough just to be blessed by his presence.

Fandango comes out. He is wearing a purple satin shirt, which I begin wilding out over, but not as hard as I was wilding for El Torito. Great Khali comes out and again the crowd goes crazy, but I am staring at Fandango as he teases taking off the satin shirt. I am losing my mind. Finally he takes off the shirt and the light hits his abs. I swear to god Fandango's body is sparkling, glowing. His abs are crystalline. I almost start crying for a third time because his body is so fucking beautiful. We make eye contact and I become bonded to him in eternity.

'His face is shaped like a Pringle,' my friend says of Great Khali.

Fandango gets on the microphone. 'Vancouver womp womp womp womp womp dance,' he says. Fandango is a really great wrestler because his selling can actually create the illusion of Khali moving around.

The main event is CM Punk vs. Luke Harper. CM Punk is my favourite wrestler and the entire arena is chanting his name but I am already exhausted because I have marked out so severely and completely over Fandango's shirt and El Torito.

CM Punk gets on the microphone. 'Womp womp Vancouver womp womp womp womp womp,' he says. Everyone goes home happy. I feel exhausted. I get on the bus and go straight back downtown to eat a triple cheeseburger at A&W.
It was delicious.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCirc...ok_psychedelic_mushrooms_and_went_to_the_wwe/

I'm throwing you a bone here Plywood.

"Fandango is a really great wrestler because his selling can actually create the illusion of Khali moving around."

Most of that article comes off as BS, but this is an awesome, awesome quote and should be on all Fandango's T-shirts.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Halloween Havoc 1992

Hosts tonight are Tony Schiavone and Bruno Sammartino. Bruno was a terrible color guy in the WWF, so I'm sure he'll be great in a promotion where he doesn't know anyone. They run down the card. What was supposed to be Miracle Violence Connection vs Steiner Brothers is now Windham/Dustin Rhodes vs Steve Williams/Steve Austin as Rick Steiner had an injury in Japan and Terry Gordy no showed. When Rick got hurt, MVC dropped the belts to Dustin/Barry on TV and were to have a rematch tonight. Then Gordy blew it off and was fired. The main reason was because Gordy was loyal to Baba and AJPW. NJPW, through WCW, was trying to get Doc and Gordy to jump companies in Japan. Gordy refused and also quick WCW. Doc would leave by the end of the year for similar reasons.

TO THE BACK. Missy Hyatt is outside of Rick Rude's locker room and throws it to Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura.

JR lets us know that we have anti-cobra venom on hand just in case for the main event.

Brian Pillman vs Ricky Steamboat

Pillman had recently turned heel. This should be good. Pillman is aggressive in the opening moments. He does a slam, which Dragon over sells to lure him in. That cagey Dragon. Arm drags! Big back body drop. Pillman gets back into it with heel tactics. Dragon shows his power with a double handed choke. Ricky Steamboat might be the single most attractive wrestler of all time. He's a beautiful man. Pillman drops to the mat to block Irish whips, faking a knee injury just to SWERVE Dragon. Spinning head scissors. The modern kind, not the AWA kind. Superplex is reversed. Dragon does a second rope something (because top rope moves were banned at the time) that is countered into a dropkick. Pillman then does multiple pins in a row to wear down Dragon, which is great timing considering how it was just brought up in Wrasslegaf. Sleeper spot. Dragon gets out by ramming Pillman into the corner. Pilman goes up top and gets slammed. Pillman does a knee lift as Dragon is getting in the ring. Dragon counters it the second time. Second rope cross body from Pillman. Dragon does a top rope sunset flip (which should be a DQ). This leads into a pin sequence, which Dragon wins. Decent enough.

ilFtxOJnPYkHb.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. Tony talks to Bill Watts about the title matches tonight. Tony's weight fluctuated a lot during the 90s.

Nikita Koloff vs Vader WCW US Championship

Vader is actually filling in for Rick Rude, who complained about having to do this match as he also had to wrestle for the NWA Championship later in the night. Vader beats the shit out of Nikita. Lariatoooo. Bill Watts also removed pads from ringside because fuck safety. Ivan does a cross body to Vader's back and works a head lock. He still gets his ass kicked. He nearly wins with a school boy. Nikita misses Vader and does the Russian Sickle to the ring post. Awkward powerbomb for the win. Title retained for Rude. Vader made Nikita look like a jobber.

ibdEwEZI4kA8IW.gif

ibdoXIFvmZs69C.gif

TO THE BACK. Teddy Long talks to Steve Williams and Steve Austin about the unified title match tonight Austin still has shitty tights, but at least has a better hair cut.

Steve Austin/Steve Williams vs Dustin Rhodes/Barry Windham WCW/NWA Unified Tag Team Championships

WCW had a weird relationship with the NWA. They officially split from the NWA in 1991. However, they had a working relationship with NJPW, who was basically the main member of the NWA now that WCW was out. When Bill Watts took over WCW, he worked out a deal to defend NWA championships on WCW shows, but I don't think WCW officially rejoined the NWA. I'm not really sure. Dustin and Doc start out. They have a football stand off. Doc SWERVES and does a leap frog. Dustin comes back with a lariatooo. Barry gets the tag. His Dutch boy hair cut his hilarious. Dustin is back in. He uses the top rope to get out of a hold and dropkicks Doc. Doc tags out. Despite the better hair cut and slightly better trunks, Austin now has no knee pads. He gets ping ponged and knocked to the floor. Back in the ring, he tries to work over Dustin's leg. Lariatoooo. Big Barry is tagged in and does a lariatoooo of his own. Big suplex. Austin tags out and the big guys knock the shit out of each other. Barry does Dustin's cross body spot. Baseball slide from Doc. Barry is FIP for a while. He comes back with a top rope lariatoooo, which should be a DQ, but isn't. Dustin gets the hot tag. Bulldog to Austin. He leap frogs Austin only to run into a Doc lariatoooo. Lariats everywhere in this. Canadian back breaker from Austin. Dustin gets out and they do a bridge into backslide spot. Lariatooo from Austin. This probably has the most clotheslines of any US wrasslin match in 20 years. Austin blocks the Flip, Flop, and Fly with a punch straight to the mouth. A series of belly to belly variations from Doc. Barry gets the tag, the ref misses it, and during the confusion, there is a ref bump and Dustin is thrown over the top. Barry has Austin rolled up, but Doc runs in and lariatoooos him. A 2nd ref comes out and counts the pin fall. The original ref gets back in and says that Windham wasn't the legal man, so the match continues. Dustin does a roll up that gets 2, but the bell rang anyway. The match continues. 90 seconds left! Tombstone from Dustin. 10 seconds left. Time limit draw. Dustin and Barry retain. Pretty awesome match. Stuff like this is why Watts era WCW is pretty good. You get a lot of stupid shit, but you also get a ton of matches like this. Even better when you consider that Gordy no showed and Austin was a last minute replacement.

iuEd8lK3Yveel.gif

ibhNQKODDuB6fc.gif

if0F0sLrUZ4Bl.gif

TO THE SCHIAVONE. Tony talks with Paul E., Harley Race, and Vader. Paul takes credit for Rude's success. Madusa comes out to shove Paul E. Paul is a MAN. SUPERIOR! Women are INFERIOR. "I am a MAN MAN MAN and you are a WOMAN WOMAN WOMAN, which means, damn it, you are FIRED FIRED FIRED!" He shoves Madusa. She kicks him in the head (kind of) and starts pounding him. Officials have to pull her off and hold Paul E. back. Paul challenges her to a match with one arm tied behind his back and with his contract on the line. He then calls her a bitch and runs off. I'm sure this was pretty intense for 1992 WCW standards. What's really crazy is you couldn't even do that today and it is about as tame as it gets compared to the male/female violence that would go on in ECW and the big two during the Attitude Era.

ibcHrxTriZeI4J.gif

TO THE WHEEL. Sting spins the wheel and makes a deal. There were 12 gimmick matches on the wheel. He pulls the lever. JEEEEEEEZZZUUUS. WCW didn't gimmick it at all and it landed on a coal miner's glove match. Sting was obviously not happy with the match, and Jesse's reaction was hilarious.

ibocIFYo0AQSJa.gif

Rick Rude vs Masahiro Chono NWA Championship Special Guest Referees: Kensuke Sasaki (NWA) and Harley Race (WCW)

It makes sense to me to have a ref representing both sides. It doesn't make sense to me that the wrestlers would get to pick their own ref. Of note, Madusa, not Paul, is out with Rude. Blue Meanie was totally in the front row. The NWA has possession of the Big Gold Belt again. I'm not sure how WCW got to keep it after the completely pulled out of the NWA in 1993. A coin toss determines that Harley Race will be the in ring ref. Even lock up. Rude gets the advantage and works a chin lock. Like the Randy Orton of 1992. Chono attempts the STF early on. Rude keeps his head blocked. Chono tries for quite a while before giving up on it. Rude with a piledriver. Chono got a foot on the ropes. Because Chono blocks a top rope move by just stepping backwards, it looked like Rude went for ADR's Flying Nothing. Back to a chin lock. Something happens in the crowd, which fans are much more interested in since half of this match has been a chin lock. Rude tries a missile dropkick that he may or may not have connected with. Chono goes for the Yakuza kick. Rude drops down and it hits Harley, sending him to the floor. Sasaki checks on Race. Chono Irish whips Rude near the corner. Rude goes over the top, falling into both refs. Rude Awakening! Neither ref can make the pin. Rude misses a flying knee drop. Chono locks in the STF. Sasaki counts the submission. Race calls for a DQ due to Rude being thrown over the top rope. The official decision is Rude winning via DQ. Chono retains the title. Sasaki beats up Harley and Rude after the match. Not that good. Rude worked like ADR and Randy Orton in one body, with a lot of fuckery in the finish.

i18lSgw98Paqx.gif

iy0XZFBOcr1eK.gif

We see some training techniques of Barbarian.

The Barbarian vs Ron Simmons WCW Championship

The concept of Simmons being champion was that Bill Watts wanted to recreate the popular black babyface archetype he used so well with JYD in Mid South. The main difference is that Simmons was a career mid carder with no where near the charisma as JYD. And to have him face other career mid carders like Barbarian isn't great for his reign. It goes to the floor very early, with Barb in clear control of the champion. Barb misses an elbow from the top. I thought top ropes were banned? Spinebuster. Looked like shit. Football tackle. Cactus gets knocked off the apron. Barb boots Simmons in the back and goes back up top for a diving headbutt. 2 count. Simmons wins with a powerslam in a short match. Title retained.

Sting vs Jake Roberts Non Sanctioned Coal Miner's Glove Match

If WCW really did gimmick the wheel and wanted this kind of match, well fuck. But I'm pretty sure they didn't and ended up with the most boring possible match. Both men quickly go for the glove. Jake looks terrible, but his grey tights make him look much worse. Sting is thrown over the ropes, but there are no DQs in this. Jake's arm is rammed into the ring post a few times. No way is Jake going to be able to get the glove. It's not hanging from a pole, it's on TOP of the pole. Sting has to scale the pole to get it. Jake takes his athletic tape off to choke Sting. The ref takes it away from him, which makes little sense to me since this is non sanctioned. There shouldn't even be a ref. Jake misses a knee lift. Sting misses a Stinger Splash. Short arm lariatooo. ECW Hat Guy is in the front row. DDT! Sting flies around the pole to do a 619 elbow. Cactus Jack brings out a snake. Sting scales the pole and gets the glove. Jake does everything he can get the snake attached to his own face. It doesn't work until Jake is pinned and on the floor.

i6GoEIGq47ea7.gif

ibh2SNwRho5xam.gif

iA1mwH29BaI9y.gif

DQ Count: 1 out of 6 matches. The home release cut out Tom Zenk/Shane Douglas/Johnny Gunn defeating Arn Anderson/Michael Hayes/Bobby Eaton.

The tag match was awesome. Pillman/Steamboat was pretty good, but felt very restrained from what both guys were capable of and what they would do later on together. The NWA Championship match was not interesting in the least. Those two didn't mesh at all and the BOGUS finish didn't help. Main event was whatever. They probably would have had a much better straight singles match or literally any of the other 11 gimmick matches on the wheel.

Here is the clean version of the Sting gif, so people can edit it better than I can.

iUIdqdLRcDxMb.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
WCW Halloween Havoc 1992 as a whole looks so weird to me. All I had from that time was individual matches through tape trading with none of the set-up with none of the build-up or connection to the rest of the show.

Glad to know Steve Austin/Steve Williams vs Dustin Rhodes/Barry Windham still holds up as well as I remember it being.

All these young adults playing video games! Must be lying!

Are you talking about wrestlers or NeoGAF as a whole? It can apply to either. No one plays video games any more, we just talk about them or collect them or swear murder upon them.

Xater

Whenever Luna talks a shiver runs down my spine. Also bra and panties matches are super dumb and not fun at all.

Top Bottom