• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
What's everyones' personal GOTY look like? Genuinely curious. I get the feeling Aiii is going to say something wrong though :p

I'm struggling to think of a game released this year that I've had more fun with that Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I've played other games for longer, but I completed Zelda twice in a fortnight and loved every single minute of it. Runner up would probably be Civilisation V: Brave New World.

Never got round to Last of Us, though. I'm really enjoying ACIV at the moment, but it's too flawed for a GOTY. Also, I was pretty disappointed with GTAV, totally failed to live up to my expectations, which was funny as I'd never watched a single thing about the game and purchased it on a whim a few days before release, so I didn't really have any expectations.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting for DmC to be like $5 on Steam to play it. Need that 60fps.

It's worth it too, the framerate bump was delicious, but the console versions were still very excellent and playable at 30. Game is fantastic, people butthurt about it should reeeeally consider fucking off. There's a weird Uncle Dante defense force that are some of the dumbest people.

I'm struggling to think of a game released this year that I've had more fun with that Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I've played other games for longer, but I completed Zelda twice in a fortnight and loved every single minute of it. Runner up would probably be Civilisation V: Brave New World.

Never got round to Last of Us, though. I'm really enjoying ACIV at the moment, but it's too flawed for a GOTY. Also, I was pretty disappointed with GTAV, totally failed to live up to my expectations, which was funny as I'd never watched a single thing about the game and purchased it on a whim a few days before release.

I'm still upset I haven't had time for the new Zelda. I really want to but I know I cannot possibly get it done in time. AC4 has been amazing, a return to form, and there's so much to DO. It truly feels gigantic, and I love it. It does have its issues, though. GTAV has been fantastic for me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
As for GTA 5 I really enjoyed it which I didn't see coming. GTA 4 was one of the worst games I've played this gen, it was trash in every aspect. 5 wasn't as good as the old classics but was still miles better than 4.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks. Trophies don't actually show the date you played it on.

Oh. I also beat Gears of War 3!

Gears 3, old as it is, is probably one of the best values out there. Unreal amount of content for what it is. Truly the finest collection, and Barrick is unreal. Hair cape + lit cigar all the time? Fuck yes, sign me up.

When it comes to the Gears series though I'll always hold the first one precious. 2 blew it away on a lot of levels and 3, well, see above, but the first one was so dark and amazing. <3

Son Of D

Can't think of a single GotY so I'll just list 5. Bear in mind I haven't played TLoU or GTAV (nor do I own a PS4 or X1) so they're not even included.

Super Mario 3D World, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Zelda: Link Between Worlds.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd go Last of Us or Tomb Raider. But I also really liked Beyond. hummm, tough decision.

Tomb Raider was badass. Gone Home was also pretty wicked. Hated Beyond with a passion.

jmdajr

Gears 3, old as it is, is probably one of the best values out there. Unreal amount of content for what it is. Truly the finest collection, and Barrick is unreal. Hair cape + lit cigar all the time? Fuck yes, sign me up.

When it comes to the Gears series though I'll always hold the first one precious. 2 blew it away on a lot of levels and 3, well, see above, but the first one was so dark and amazing. <3

Gears 1 holds up. I played it last year. Still excellent.

My judgment is still out on Gears of War judgement. It was 19 bucks on Black Friday.

edit: I payed full price for Tomb raider. Big Mistake. I knew I would not have time to play it.
Now there will be a new and better version for PS4 :\.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can't think of a single GotY so I'll just list 5. Bear in mind I haven't played TLoU or GTAV (nor do I own a PS4 or X1) so they're not even included.

Super Mario 3D World, DmC, Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, Zelda: Link Between Worlds.

Surprised to see Infinite here, the backlash on Infinite has been huge. I enjoyed it, for sure, but this has been a heck of a year for games.

It's worth it too, the framerate bump was delicious, but the console versions were still very excellent and playable at 30. Game is fantastic, people butthurt about it should reeeeally consider fucking off. There's a weird Uncle Dante defense force that are some of the dumbest people.

DmC is just a mediocre action game IMO. SOME of the visuals are fantastic, but I have 2 action titles in my top 5 this year that I'd rank ahead of it. The hate purely for Dante is over the top, but as a "character action" title it isn't that special.

And GTAV was 1 part incredible technical feat, and 2 parts let down. I was crazy hyped for that game, and it did not live up. The worst part is that it's not even about the story or characters, it just continues to fail in some of the more basic areas of game design.

And Gears 1 was definitely the most memorable of the series. After that they lost the darkness and grime because they appeased everyone complaining about "lack of color."

jred2k

I played the shit out of SRIV over the course of about 3 days and haven't touched it since. I'm not real sure how I should feel about it. It was a lot of fun and probably the best Volition has done technically, but it was just missing something. I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion a lot too.

My gaming time dropped off drastically this year and it makes me sad. I'm getting close to 20 days off of work over Christmas and New Years so I hope I can catch up on a lot of stuff then. I need to get used to the concept of play a game an hour or two at a time and not marathoning them like I used to be able to do.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I played the shit out of SRIV over the course of about 3 days and haven't touched it since. I'm not real sure how I should feel about it. It was a lot of fun and probably the best Volition has done technically, but it was just missing something. I really enjoyed Luigi's Mansion a lot too.

My gaming time dropped off drastically this year and it makes me sad. I'm getting close to 20 days off of work over Christmas and New Years so I hope I can catch up on a lot of stuff then. I need to get used to the concept of play a game an hour or two at a time and not marathoning them like I used to be able to do.

20 days! God Damn!

I also want to throw out some honorable mentions. Risk of Rain is phenomenal, PC title. If you haven't tried it, it's cheap, and it's a roguelike. So if you love em like I loves em, dive in.

Dead Rising 3 is honestly one of the best games I've played this year too, just pure fun. The best Dead Rising of the series, easily, and people worried about the humor need to get outta here, because it's there. Best Rising.

Xater

Forgot to mention Papers Please. That one is also up there.

Also no surprise from Penguin. "Everything was Nintendo". lol

jred2k

20 days! God Damn!

I also want to throw out some honorable mentions. Risk of Rain is phenomenal, PC title. If you haven't tried it, it's cheap, and it's a roguelike. So if you love em like I loves em, dive in.

December 21st - January 6th. I really glad I'll get the time to line my sleep schedule up with WK8 so I can watch it live.

I forgot to mention Spelunky on the Vita. Getting through that game was probably my most satisfying gaming moments this year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
December 21st - January 6th. I really glad I'll get the time to line my sleep schedule up with WK8 so I can watch it live.

I forgot to mention Spelunky on the Vita. Getting through that game was probably my most satisfying gaming moments this year.

Spelunky's dope as fuck, only reason it's not in my running is because I played the balls off of it on 360 last year when it came out. But I own it on 4 platforms now :/

jmdajr

Our PVR recording stopped after Cena told Bryan that he'd be happy to give him a rematch after winning the Unititle. There was a brawl?

Indeed.

Trying to separate Cena and Orton, Triple H attacked punk, Punk retaliated, then Shawn attacked Punk, D. Bry attacked Shawn, Orton attacked D.Bry, them somehow Steph gets hurt by Orton and HHH pedigrees him.

I'll have a rewatch on HuluPlus later. It was great. Crowd went ballistic.

edit: nice it's up now.

jred2k

Our PVR recording stopped after Cena told Bryan that he'd be happy to give him a rematch after winning the Unititle. There was a brawl?

Orton went after Cena, then they went to the ground brawling. Then everyone split them apart except for Punk. Punk then went to the corner to talk to Orton and Orton shoved him so Punk starting brawling with him. Then HHH came in and through Punk off Orton and started yelling at Orton. Punk got up and spun HHH around, punched him, Trips went down and Punk got SCM from Michaels. Bryan hit Michaels with the running knee. Orton went to RKO him and Bryan shoved him in to Steph knocking her down. Trips got pissed at Randy and pedigreed him. The end of the show was that picture above of the Authority with Cena looking down at Orton.

That was a lot of bullshit to type to basically say LOL HHH stands tall to end Raw. It was pretty fun to watch, though. I think Score will re-run it tonight sometime and clip out some commercials to fit everything in 3 hours.

Ithil

A confused Kamala in his prime is transported to WWE in 2001 to head the Invasion angle!

A 35 year old Stu Hart is whisked away from his time period to be a Season 2 NXT rookie! Will Stu get along with McGillicutty?

Tyler Breeze is taken to Japan, forced to wrestle Hashimoto at AJPW Total War!

Bo Dallas finds himself not in NXT, but at Wrestle Kingdom 8 in the Tokyo Dome, with his opponent no longer CJ Parker, but Shibata, looking angry.

jmdajr

Orton went after Cena, then they went to the ground brawling. Then everyone split them apart except for Punk. Punk then went to the corner to talk to Orton and Orton shoved him so Punk starting brawling with him. Then HHH came in and through Punk off Orton and started yelling at Orton. Punk got up and spun HHH around, punched him, Trips went down and Punk got SCM from Michaels. Bryan hit Michaels with the running knee. Orton went to RKO him and Bryan shoved him in to Steph knocking her down. Trips got pissed at Randy and pedigreed him. The end of the show was that picture above of the Authority with Cena looking down at Orton.

That was a lot of bullshit to type to basically say LOL HHH stands tall to end Raw. It was pretty fun to watch, though. I think Score will re-run it tonight sometime and clip out some commercials to fit everything in 3 hours.

So that's what you got out of it huh. Face it you're a closet HHH mark. No need to be ashamed. It's ok!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bo Dallas finds himself not in NXT, but at Wrestle Kingdom 8 in the Tokyo Dome, with his opponent no longer CJ Parker, but Shibata, looking angry.

I like the idea of Bo being transplanted ANYWHERE. Bo Dallas takes his father's place in the Varsity Club and has to perform in the Tower of Doom match!

zychi

Banned
Gears 1 holds up. I played it last year. Still excellent.

My judgment is still out on Gears of War judgement. It was 19 bucks on Black Friday.

edit: I payed full price for Tomb raider. Big Mistake. I knew In would not have time to play it.
Now there will be a new and better version for PS4 :\.

gears 1 is currently free on xbox live fyi

my goty is zelda a link between worlds, followed closely by last of us and dead rising 3(SOOOOOO MUCH FUN)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey friends, let's sync up for January and do a themed set of avatars. I'm thinking the Royal Rumble logo, and an "entrant" text on it too. Because we're doing the Avatar Rumble in January! Then, once it ends, we shift to our new Mascot for a month! It'll be exciting!

VINCE ALL THE WAY! GO VINCE GO VINCE

Aiii

So not worth it
What's everyones' personal GOTY look like? Genuinely curious. I get the feeling Aiii is going to say something wrong though :p

WHY ME?!

Either The Last of Us or Persona 4 Golden for me. (latter came out this year for me, but since I got the US version in January I feel that's cheating.)

Jado & Gedo (c) vs Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask - IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles - (M-Pro 08/19/01)

OK, this match was a ton of fun. Jado & Gedo come to M-Pro to defend their IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles at the biggest Michinoku show of the year and they're AWESOME. Gedo's superkick is fucking devastating and Jado isn't solely a comedy character yet. Also, Tiger Mask IV is surprisingly awesome, he's young, agile and doesn't actually botch anything (another surprise at this stage of his career) - Sasuke, however, crashes and burns in spectacular fashion the way only Great Sasuke can and still gets up to do his part in an excellent finishing stretch in front of a hot M-Pro crowd cheering him & Tiger on. I really enjoyed this, well worth a watch.

ixxFK0GdG8zLT.gif

WWE house show near me on the 28th. Some of the guys will definitely be at my gym that morning. But I may want to go to the show too. Will be after TLC

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WHY ME?!

Either The Last of Us or Persona 4 Golden for me. (latter came out this year for me, but since I got the US version in January I feel that's cheating.)

I told you you'd say something wrong! I knew it! I knew it!

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE house show near me on the 28th. Some of the guys will definitely be at my gym that morning. But I may want to go to the show too. Will be after TLC

Can't go wrong with a house show really.

Speaking of, the next one over here is May 24th, yay.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Actually.

Come to think of it. I enjoyed Prison Architect a lot too, maybe that.

This is hard.

I had to stop trying to learn it when I saw there was a huge pathfinding bug, so I've been ignoring it.

Biggest bummer would be Cube World, I was expecting updates and a cool game to come of it. Hasn't been touched since the day I gottdamn bought it.

Top Bottom