• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT2| I dec-declare this territory owned by the Holy Roman Empire

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Ryback

Results are only viewable after voting.
I remember how I was so for Kane Vs. Taker in their final Mania match. Push Kane all year, build him back up to be a credible threat so he can stand on par with Taker. But then came all these stupid angles. Taker's old as balls. From a story perspective, it's a great idea, in-ring? These days? lol.

Who would be Kane's final match? The only person he has deep enough ties with on the current roster IS Bryan.

I don't think you understand just how deep this handshake goes.

orton_kane_hand_shake.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm ready for....
bufflol.gif

tumblr_m1z5jf3UG61r324lio1_400.gif

tumblr_mjxk0oVTm51r7dh6wo1_500.jpg

Buffuary.
Where did I say he was never over?

When you say it's weird to see the crowd give a shit about him when the majority of his time in the WWE main product, he's been one of the most over people on the roster.
whats worse is that lex luger did that to him

The metal plate forearm is not to be fucked with man. I don't care how much of a TMF you are. That is Lex Luger's weapon of mass destruction.

I don't think you understand just how deep this handshake goes.

orton_kane_hand_shake.jpg

takerr.jpg

Are we pretending Bray wasn't supremely over now? And that he's still pretty over despite what people on here think?

Bray was stupid over. But when you're booked like shit in a Cena feud, especially when all his promos are about dominating the world, and having Cena be in his 37th "give in to the hate"/ "Abandon Hustle Loyalty and Respect" feud, it didn't do much for Bray. This is around the time where I would post the picture of the Wyatt family dead all over the steel cage, but sadly, I never saved that picture. So here's this instead

John_Cena_def_Bray_Wyatt.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do yourself a favor and do what I do. Never acknowledge a WCW wrestler existed after WCW folded. Assume they all died. Because the result is always going to be worse than whatever they were doing in WCW.

strobogo

Banned
Do yourself a favor and do what I do. Never acknowledge a WCW wrestler existed after WCW folded. Assume they all died. Because the result is always going to be worse than whatever they were doing in WCW.

Well, that isn't accurate. WCW guys you can mention:

Regal
Booker
Rey
Eddie
Benoit
Finlay
Scott Steiner

strobogo

Banned
You think Rey and Steiner got better after WCW? Hell, I'd even say Booker was better in WCW.

I mean Steiner had the greatest promos of his life post WCW. Rey had a great 2002-2008 or so. Finlay had more good matches in WWE than WCW. Regal was a blast whenever he was on screen for a decade in WWE. Booker is a push. I'll give you that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean Steiner had the greatest promos of his life post WCW. Rey had a great 2002-2008 or so. Finlay had more good matches in WWE than WCW. Regal was a blast whenever he was on screen for a decade in WWE. Booker is a push. I'll give you that.

Finlay, I 100% agree with. I barely remember him in WCW, and I don't remember any of his matches. Rey's best stuff in WWE was never as good as his bad stuff in WCW, and I liked remembering him as someone who could easily be labeled the best cruiserweight in all of WCW rather than one of the worst World Heavyweight Champions in WWE. Which is pretty much what I'll always remember most about his WWE career. Regal was pretty so-so for me in both WCW and WWE until he became the GM. That was my favorite Regal period. And Steiner might have had some of his goofy promos in TNA or WWE, but in WCW he established the greatest 'loose cannon' gimmick of all time, he clothesline all those dudes at once, he walked out with a tiger, Ric Flair shoot promo, and him verbally unloading on Hogan on commentary.

WWE & TNA Scott can't stack up at all to me on ridiculous shit like WCW Scott Steiner.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Booker might be a better wrestler and more respected in WCW.

WWE however gave us Booker on commentary. GM Booker. Booker in the grocery store with Austin. Bookdust. King Booker.

I'll take WWE any day of the week.

You're also allowed to mention Arn when it comes to WCW guys.

Booker might be a better wrestler and more respected in WCW.

WWE however gave us Booker on commentary. GM Booker. Booker in the grocery store with Austin. Bookdust. King Booker.

I'll take WWE any day of the week.

You're also allowed to mention Arn when it comes to WCW guys.

TNA gave us the best Booker T commentary

XenoRaven

I think being considered a "promo guy" is more a curse than a blessing. Once you get established as a guy that can cut promos, unless every promo is amazing people start shitting on you. I feel like that's happening with Bray. Like he doesn't have a lot of material to work with, he still does his best, but people give him shit.

UberTag

I like Roman more than his fucking cousins.
Don't say mean things about Yokozuna and Umaga. (And I suppose Dwayne as well.) :(

It just reminded me of when people were actually enthusiastic about his prospects.
We're enthusiastic about Rusev's prospects as well. Just as we are with everyone before they face Cena.
Cena is the true legend killer of the WWE. Not Orton. He kills careers before they even have the chance to be recognized as Legends.

I think being considered a "promo guy" is more a curse than a blessing. Once you get established as a guy that can cut promos, unless every promo is amazing people start shitting on you. I feel like that's happening with Bray. Like he doesn't have a lot of material to work with, he still does his best, but people give him shit.

Hes overexposed, lost to Sina, and wears a fedora

Harper does the cultist thing much better

strobogo

Banned
I saw 2 guys in fedoras at the last movie I went to. One was a tween, so I'll cut him some slack and chalk it up to being a dumb kid who hasn't realized the error of his ways yet. The other was 100% the stereotype. Long hair in a pony tail, nasty patchy beard, fat, pale as could be, bad skin, trench coat.

XenoRaven

Hes overexposed, lost to Sina, and wears a fedora

Harper does the cultist thing much better
Harper is my favorite guy on the roster right now, but he doesn't have to talk. I've never heard him say anything other than "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeeaaahhh". I'm not keeping up with RAW so maybe they're having him do promos now, but I doubt he has to fill time like Bray is expected to fill time.

That said, maybe it's just because I'm high on the guy, but he seems so into his character that I think he could cut a decent promo.

strobogo

Banned
Harper is my favorite guy on the roster right now, but he doesn't have to talk. I've never heard him say anything other than "yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeeaaahhh". I'm not keeping up with RAW so maybe they're having him do promos now, but I doubt he has to fill time like Bray is expected to fill time.

That said, maybe it's just because I'm high on the guy, but he seems so into his character that I think he could cut a decent promo.

He does cut good promos. He'd be fine having to do a 5-10 minute promo, I think. Harper is dope. Keep him as far away from Cena (and have him stop losing to Ziggler) and he should have a big 2015.

XenoRaven

Heyman is the only guy that consistently delivers, and he's not even on the show every week. People even turned on Punk because less than 100% of his promos were gold. I think people need to cut these guys some slack in the promo department. It's easy to go back and look up the best Savage promos on YouTube. But a) it was probably a backstage promo instead of an in-ring promo and b) what did he say the next week and was it really all that interesting?

strobogo

Banned
People turned on Punk because his face promos were shitty and fell into the same template as Cena promos, just with more Ferris Bueller looks into the camera.

Considering the circumstances that led to Punk's rise in popularity, You think someone would recognize that giving him the Cena face promo template was the worst idea ever

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only way to keep someone as smarky as CM Punk a face would be in an anti authority angle where he is the set upon hero of the tale.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Punk's later heel promos were shitty too. They usually ended up with him making his popeye face and looking angry about stuff. I think WWE spends too much time on making the same main eventers come out to the ring and cut promos in the ring. They need more backstage stuff, more prerecorded stuff, and most importantly, they need different people cutting promos weekly

Even when Jake was cutting his promos, he didn't cut them every.single.week. Neither did Macho. The only people I remember seeing cutting promos regularly was Dibiase and Hogan.

XenoRaven

People turned on Punk because his face promos were shitty and fell into the same template as Cena promos, just with more Ferris Bueller looks into the camera.
I think that's partially true. I feel like when someone cuts a promo that really gets people excited, people start to expect that same level of excitement from every promo. That's just not realistic. Maybe I'm just making shit up but I feel like that's an easy trap for people to fall into, and a big reason why the standard for promos is so high. Well that, and the guys that came before had the benefit of doing promos backstage and being high on cocaine.

XenoRaven

Punk's later heel promos were shitty too. They usually ended up with him making his popeye face and looking angry about stuff. I think WWE spends too much time on making the same main eventers come out to the ring and cut promos in the ring. They need more backstage stuff, more prerecorded stuff, and most importantly, they need different people cutting promos weekly

Even when Jake was cutting his promos, he didn't cut them every.single.week. Neither did Macho. The only people I remember seeing cutting promos regularly was Dibiase and Hogan.
Sorry for the double post and all that, but I couldn't agree more with this. There's so much pressure on guys to go out and talk every single week in front of the crowd. It's nearly impossible to come up with something interesting to say every time.

UberTag

Considering the circumstances that led to Punk's rise in popularity, You think someone would recognize that giving him the Cena face promo template was the worst idea ever
Don't be such a toolbox. Those 26 writers know better than you and me. They're professionals.

XenoRaven

I know people didn't like the Cena vs Bray match at WM, but I really liked it. I thought the finish was absolutely stupid and basically buried Bray's entire character, but the match itself was fun.

Also I can't feel my face.

Top Bottom