• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

The game is really boring when neither shadow wars nor the large map are functioning... they should have left this in beta for another month or two.

cjcool804

Banned
Last great show on Syfy was arguably the modernized BSG, that was over 4 years ago... so... no......

I liked Alphas but it got cancelled after it's second season which sucks.

As for this game does it patch every time playong or trying to play on 360 and it's always patching damn!

Orca

What do the Arkfall codes do? I entered all 120 of them and...nothing. At the least I expected the title to show up ingame. Do I need to hit a certain level or something?

Tobor

PC servers down? I can't get in. Nothing but timeout errors.

EDIT: they say they're looking into it. Oh well.

basefree

I have to admit, I only thought I'd be mildly interested in this game, thinking I'd buy it just so I could check out the show interaction - even the beta didn't really grab me much (during earlier phases at least, when things were less polished). But this is some of the most addictive fun I've had in an MMO for a long time, plain and simple.

phierce

AFAIK the contracts are done through co-op instances which are only opened up through playing the SP missions.
Contracts (daily and weekly) become available at EGO level 250. They primarily involve non co-op tasks, but as of yesterday, there was one requiring you to complete a co-op mission.

Karak

I have to admit, I only thought I'd be mildly interested in this game, thinking I'd buy it just so I could check out the show interaction - even the beta didn't really grab me much (during earlier phases at least, when things were less polished). But this is some of the most addictive fun I've had in an MMO for a long time, plain and simple.

Ya I know I have been saying it for the last couple pages but the bolded word above is what matters to me.

I came in 1st in a bunch of Arcfalls tonight and it was super fucking fun. Then switched things up and did nothing but healed and protected others and let them take down the baddies. Also seems like the random events were turned up because we had a good number of them which Really added to the overall feel of things occurring in the world.

I filmed another 3 hours for a tutorial walkthrough...lost it all and turned around and just did it again with no real negative feelings towards it. Its just fun.

Ogni-XR21

I'm just getting into this. Was wondering if there are any race/job differences when making a character. I know there are, but I was specifically wondering what's the best route to go when aiming for "healer/revive" gameplay.

Don't want to realize way down the road that I could have chosen a better char mix.

Also, am I stuck with a ego boost ability area once I picked a starting point? I can only seem to open new abilities branching off from the one I selected first.

Mindlog

The character is pretty much irrelevant. Decoy/Speed might help, but by far the most important aspects are a beam-gun and watching for downed players. It's really easy for a lot of people to ignore downed players in the middle of fighting.

Just go with what looks fun. The game is very forgiving. You can re-spec at any time you just have to pay a modest fee. You can only unlock Ego Perks/Powers adjacent to a previous selection. This makes the Scavenger unlock from Ark HUnter codes even more useful.
I filmed another 3 hours for a tutorial walkthrough...lost it all and turned around and just did it again with no real negative feelings towards it. Its just fun.
Need good clean footage/gif of an Arkfall roll-out like at the beginning of this video.

Well i beat the main story of the game. I actually like the story. I can't wait for the main show to kick off and start kicking ass in game while following the show.

See now that might be cool if the show is watchable of course...but from the trailer I saw,yeah it looked kinda generic,desert like small village with sand swirling around and they enter a bar,girl has a cloak like vest with a hoodie over her head etc etc but it was ok,not terribly bad...we shall see on the 15th...
The fact that their adding free content (confirmed through the dev blog yesterday) is what I'm more interested in. If the show turns out bad, it won't keep from enjoying a bunch of new content.

BrettWeir

This really has me interested, but the animations look really janky to me. I physically feel nauseated just from watching videos.

Amneisac

This has me very interested, and it's $45 at GMG for the next few days so I might get it, but I can't help thinking it's going to be $20 in a month. I've been burned by so many MMOs it's hard to count.

This has me very interested, and it's $45 at GMG for the next few days so I might get it, but I can't help thinking it's going to be $20 in a month. I've been burned by so many MMOs it's hard to count.

Most MMOs experience a pretty radical price drop in a couple of months time, and I doubt this game will be an exception.
You're paying for the chance to play the game from the very start, and gear up just in time for the show to start and new content to be added.

Ricker

The fact that their adding free content (confirmed through the dev blog yesterday) is what I'm more interested in. If the show turns out bad, it won't keep from enjoying a bunch of new content.

True but if the show is ok or even good,it will get more buzz and it might help the game also...

I saw a mission on my map named episode one is that in connection with the tv show

The "star"-marked ones are directly connected with the show, with cameos from the show's main characters.

There's some background universe videos over at the official Defiance youtube channel:

youtube.com/defianceuniverse

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Am I correct in assuming there's no region/server segregation in this? I can pick NA or EU in the launcher but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I have a question. I've been playing the game and enjoying it, but there are some things I' confused about. I can't level up one of my skills because it says I need more power. Is that tied to leveling up? How do I raise it?

I have a question. I've been playing the game and enjoying it, but there are some things I' confused about. I can't level up one of my skills because it says I need more power. Is that tied to leveling up? How do I raise it?

Ego power, you get them by getting achievements (dunno what they are called, but stuff like finishing an arkfall and killing all enemy sub-types associated with that arkfall) and mission completion.
I'm at 196 right now and just need another 5 before I can upgrade my EGO power.

Mindlog

I saw a mission on my map named episode one is that in connection with the tv show
I got a very good assault rifle for finishing the first episode. I'm also using the outfit that it awards.
Am I correct in assuming there's no region/server segregation in this? I can pick NA or EU in the launcher but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
I believe PC is not region locked, but the others are.

Amneisac

Well, I caved and bought it, but my stupid account has a stupid authenticator on it from way back when I used to play Rift. Taken about 35 minutes so far waiting on chat support to get it removed!

How large is the client?

Ego power, you get them by getting achievements (dunno what they are called, but stuff like finishing an arkfall and killing all enemy sub-types associated with that arkfall) and mission completion.
I'm at 196 right now and just need another 5 before I can upgrade my EGO power.
Ah, thanks!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, went to their forums. Nice that there's absolutely no in-game notifications for these things..

I believe PC is not region locked, but the others are.

It seems to be all one server on PC. I can play my character regardless of the region chosen.

Amneisac

Do we have any idea how much content will be added for free before you have to start buying DLC? I've already bought it, but I'm a little concerned at the idea of a season pass for a game that's supposed to be more of a Guild Wars 2 "buy to play" model.

Also, it's a little alarming that people seem to be finished with most of the content. It doesn't seem to be just a few people who have played non-stop either.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Do we have any idea how much content will be added for free before you have to start buying DLC? I've already bought it, but I'm a little concerned at the idea of a season pass for a game that's supposed to be more of a Guild Wars 2 "buy to play" model.

Also, it's a little alarming that people seem to be finished with most of the content. It doesn't seem to be just a few people who have played non-stop either.

This was in one of the dev blogs;
http://community.defiance.com/en/20...ts-been-amazing-but-why-do-we-still-have-lag/
What’s our DLC plan? – I’ve seen a lot of you mention this and this is material for an entire blog post because there is so much I want to talk about. However, let’s be short. There are at least 5 DLCs this year. They all have a free and paid component. We do not want to segregate our playerbase so we always want everybody be able to participate and play with friends. The free part is features and content, the paid part is essentially, say, access to a new playable species with a bundle of stuff with it. The upcoming TV tie-ins aren’t DLCs that cost either. It’s all yours.

What they call DLC I assume are akin to x.1 content patches in say WoW?

Zaph

Is there currently any way to redeem Arkfall codes on the PC version? They've disabled the feature on the My EGO website.

Picked this up today on 360 based on the the impressions I've gotten from browsing this thread. Gt is devon the dude if anyone wants to help show me the ropes tonight.

Top Bottom