• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Karak

I have to agree, i got booted twice last night, and each time after a short huff session..i wasn't even mad..i got back in and immersed myself..i just got a shotgun that shoots grenades that explode on impact. Yeah.

Honestly at times I grow tired of recording games for walkthroughs and so forth, lots of restarts. Other than a couple other times Defiance is one of the few that has been so fun that recording hours of video has been a fucking blessing. The battles, the things we have found, all the fun with the cars.

It isn't a great game.
It is a very fun game and I am realizing how rare that is sometimes.

wwm0nkey

I have to agree, i got booted twice last night, and each time after a short huff session..i wasn't even mad..i got back in and immersed myself..i just got a shotgun that shoots grenades that explode on impact. Yeah.

I have it too, best weapon in the universe!

CzarTim

The BMG is like the perfect Arkfall weapon. Lock on targets means you don't have to worry about aiming after the first click, chains between enemies, no ammo means no running back to the crate, and on top of all that, it can heal you and others when needed. DPS isn't great, but it more than makes up for it with usefulness.

Random tidbit of information for anyone who needs it.

Game settings (like your resolution) are kept in Defiance's registry file (yea I know...it's like 1996 all over again).

It's located at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
-Software
--Trion
---Channel2

And you have to change it via it's decimal base

Karak

Jezuz that sucks about modding changing to res and such.

However it looks like there are already some people working on a configuration changing program. Awesome news.

Honestly at times I grow tired of recording games for walkthroughs and so forth, lots of restarts. Other than a couple other times Defiance is one of the few that has been so fun that recording hours of video has been a fucking blessing. The battles, the things we have found, all the fun with the cars.

It isn't a great game.
It is a very fun game and I am realizing how rare that is sometimes.
that too is too true, i've already played this game twice as long as i've played every release that came out this year. combined.

After learning how to use mods and upping the magazine size..anything that stands still too long gets ate up..if i find one with a shock attribute..GAME OVER MAN..GAME OVER.

wwm0nkey

After learning how to use mods and upping the magazine size..anything that stands still too long gets ate up..if i find one with a shock attribute..GAME OVER MAN..GAME OVER.

PvP on Observatory is the greatest thing ever with it, if you can aim it properly you can land a lot of kills but you do have to aim so it does require some skill but sometimes people just don't move lol

Also I have an Orange rarity grenade that does a minimum of 2k damage and max of 3k....people do not like me in PvP :(

PvP on Observatory is the greatest thing ever with it, if you can aim it properly you can land a lot of kills but you do have to aim so it does require some skill but sometimes people just don't move lol

Also I have an Orange rarity grenade that does a minimum of 2k damage and max of 3k....people do not like me in PvP :(

tumblr_mh64skludP1rhpqdyo1_500.gif
ermahgerd:O I'd trade my shock grenade for that in a heartbeat.

Mindlog

I found a Purple one that had suvivalist synergy. Every time I get the clip it returns a large percentage of my EGO Power. Combined with my passives and other bonuses it means almost perpetual Overcharge.

I just wish it had higher base damage. I'm also too timid to put mods on it. I don't want to ruin it with crapppy mods.

*Performance on 360 is really starting to improves. I can actually see the arkfall debris during the big engagements with a screen full of players :D

NIN90

This game has the most boring leveling up system I have ever seen. Shit is so incremental. Like +2% dmg when your shields are down. And you can only equip a few of these perks.

There are generally very few MMO hooks in this game I think. Only thing that is mildy hooking me is getting new weapons.

CzarTim

This game has the most boring leveling up system I have ever seen. Shit is so incremental. Like +2% dmg when your shields are down. And you can only euip a few of these perks.

There are generally very few MMO hooks in this game I think. Only thing that is mildy hooking me is getting new weapons.
Other than the fact that you are playing with many other people online, this game has little-to-nothing in common with the standard MMO tropes.

People keep saying MMOs are derivative, well here you go, folks.

I disagree on the loads of content comment btw.

I'm at 560 ego power atm and at the last few quests in the last area and there isn't a whole lot to do, there's a week or two of fun here though.

-the land mass is just what you see on your map , the crossed through parts aren't playable

-7 coop dungeons, the bosses are fun but they are very trash heavy (way too many trash mobs in a few of them)

- only 3 pvp maps, one tiny cod one, one small cs sized one and one bigger map, the bigger map is a lot of fun but has currently been disabled for god knows what reason

-3 different arkfalls (rifts) I think:
*bug queen
*bug larva that flies
*scrap arfkall with the big metal tentacles thatyou have to destroy
Each takes about 20 mins to complete, they are good fun for a while but definitely not something you'll be enjoying past the 6-7th time

-shadow war: basically conquest mode from battlefield on the world map, this one is a lot of fun but they require an active population to pop up more than a few times a day.

All of the pve content combined (including every side quest) can easily be played through
in under 40 hours.
The large pvp map is great fun and will probably stay fun for a long time, the gamemode is very entertaining and the map layout is great
Shadow wars seem like the meat of the game right now, when they are up that is.

There is much less to do than in guild wars 2 (a game hopelessly starved for content at release) but thankfully what there is is actually fun to do, unlike guild wars chorethemepark.

As said above, there isn't much in the way of a carrot in this game and those who bought it for their MMO carrot fix are going to be left dissapointed.
I think it's a good thing that there is little carrot and that there is no gear grind or gear imbalance.

I think the game needed more pvp maps and more world bosses before releasing though, and that the game needed at least another month of polish to get the crafting ui, chat, buggy quests , broken inspect system fixed.
They went and released a beta like it usually goes.

Zaph

is Syfy shows any good nowdays? is there any hope for Defiance tv series to be good?
No and early reports from people who were sent screeners say the show is pretty terrible.

However, part of the Trion/Syfy deal was that the show is guaranteed two seasons. So maybe that, combined with 'episode missions' in-game (which are meant to line up once the show starts), might make the show more appealing.

40 hours of content for a $60 game isn't awful.

Agreed. That sounds good to me. Just because the game is an MMO doesn't mean you have to play it for 300 days for it to be worthwhile. I'll play the game for 15-20 hours and be very content if I never want to touch it again after that.

Karak

Agreed. That sounds good to me. Just because the game is an MMO doesn't mean you have to play it for 300 days for it to be worthwhile. I'll play the game for 15-20 hours and be very content if I never want to touch it again after that.

Well and since, as they said a couple times, they are added massive areas in with each DLC release and update. I am stoked as well. Its got loads to do. Though I am already on my way to more than 15-20. I would say probably 30-35 including PVP for the first bit without the DLC missions and areas. I guess you could classify this as some weird MMO hybrid, not because it is a shooter but because of the way its handled.

And yet somehow it is fucking blindly fun:)

Ferny

Still haven't been able to play this game since Tuesday :(

Been having the Patch Failed error and can't seem to get it installed at all.

Karak

Still haven't been able to play this game since Tuesday :(

Been having the Patch Failed error and can't seem to get it installed at all.

Ok that fucking sucks:(
Did you try a validation from steam or a complete reinstall?

Vee_One

Took the plunge and bought the game from Steam, the client download is INCREDIBLY slow. At this rate I will play in 2 days ; _ ;
Anyone else having slow download speeds?

40 hours of content for a $60 game isn't awful.

Technically no, but if someone bought it knowing it was an MMO, I think they'd be disappointed in 40 hours, I would be.

I'd imagine it like buying a new Elder Scrolls game and finishing it in 20 hours. Just seems too short.

Zaph

Technically no, but if someone bought it knowing it was an MMO, I think they'd be disappointed in 40 hours, I would be.

I'd imagine it like buying a new Elder Scrolls game and finishing it in 20 hours. Just seems too short.
I think it's important to emphasize that 'MMO' isn't shorthand for 'MMORPG'. This game is very much a MMO shooter - and is advertised as so. RPG features you would expect - auction houses, major cities, professions etc - don't exist.

I'm hoping games like this and Destiny catch on - it's fun doing your own thing in a world populated by other players that isn't inherently a fantasy RPG.

CzarTim

At that point people are bringing their expectations into it, which is unfair to the game. If the devs made claims of it being longer, I'd understand the disappointment, but attaching a number to a genre as broad as MMO is really odd to me.

Also the Elder Scrolls thing is a false equivalency as that would be a sequel to an existing franchise. This is a new IP.

At that point people are bringing their expectations into it, which is unfair to the game. If the devs made claims of it being longer, I'd understand the disappointment, but attaching a number to a genre as broad as MMO is really odd to me.

Well seeing as MMO has multiplayer in the title, 40 hours is very short. I don't know any multiplayer game that has an actual end.

CzarTim

Well seeing as MMO has multiplayer in the title, 40 hours is very short. I don't know any multiplayer game that has an actual end.

Eh, it doesn't? You can still play the game after 40 hours, people are just saying that that's roughly how long it takes to reach the level cap (I've seen people say as low as 30 hours). If you enjoy the PVP, for instance, you can login and do that. Or roll new characters.

Even in WoW you can reach a point where you've maxed out your gear and have to wait for new content to release. The genre has long since relied on people repeating content to extend its life. Without a monthly fee, there is no longer a reason to do that.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
PSN: Mejilan
Account: Mejilan
Char: Firinel
Region: USA - Northeast

Added myself to that distressingly sparse spreadsheet, but just in case, I've posted my details here as well.

Got home, popped it in, 3 hours later, I love it.
Yeah, it's janky and hideous. Still lovin' it, though.

Just got my first disconnect (during an Arkfall too). :(

The pvp really is awful on the small maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBVp8mfSNc

Look at this shit. Do you think any of the people in this video had fun? I don't think so.
I specced camo and recorded this to illustrate.
Sorry for the stuttery shaky camera, high mouse sens + 20 fps with fraps + youtube transcoding+ the horse blinder fov from the game do not mix well.

Using this shotgun, if I miss I can just swap to another shotgun or smg and kill them anyway.

The camo really sucks the fun out of the game, people who use it are pretty much completely invisible.
On the large map it's not much of an issue since people can't get that close easily without using up their entire camo duration but they have disabled the large map.
I'll be avoiding the small ones like the plague.

Edit: lol found a 25 rate of fire 55 magazine smg, bullet hose exteaordinaire

bebop242

Eh, it doesn't? You can still play the game after 40 hours, people are just saying that that's roughly how long it takes to reach the level cap (I've seen people say as low as 30 hours). If you enjoy the PVP, for instance, you can login and do that. Or roll new characters.

Even in WoW you can reach a point where you've maxed out your gear and have to wait for new content to release. The genre has long since relied on people repeating content to extend its life. Without a monthly fee, there is no longer a reason to do that.

you can get to 5000 ego in 30-40 hours? I can see beating all the content in that time, but maxing out that quick?

you can get to 5000 ego in 30-40 hours? I can see beating all the content in that time, but maxing out that quick?

You do realise getting 5000 ego is utterly pointless, right?
You can see and do everything there is to do within 40 hours, and you will get tired of all the current pve stuff within 50 odd hours as well.
It is what it is, it's a game not a princess in need that needs you to come to her valiant defense.

edit: to clarify after that many hours you have enough levels (not ego, all ego does it unlock the dungeons which you'll have at 500 ego and unlock some extra loadout and perk slots) to be able to fully spec for one of the skills (and respecs are cheap thankfully, no arbitrary filler or grind needed)

I'll take little filler and hand holding and grind in a short game over the horribad padding of a short game into your average 'long' mmo.
But still, it is what it is, it's a game with little grind and filler that you can experience in its entirity in 40 ish hours.

Loadouts are a great concept btw... they store a gear AND spec template, so you can swap from shotgun or sniper camo build + pvp shield to AR and shotgun overdrive build and pve shield in under a second.

Well even with the 40 hours put in. That's still damn good plus with all the content coming from the show every week and DLC. This game will be played for a long time from myself. Plus doing my Rep quests everyday will help out with my time and experience in the game. Plus completing all the Goals will take quite some time. So I'm looking forward to the show and future content.

bebop242

You do realise getting 5000 ego is utterly pointless, right?
You can see and do everything there is to do within 40 hours, and you will get tired of all the current pve stuff within 50 odd hours as well.
It is what it is, it's a game not a princess in need that needs you to come to her valiant defense.

edit: to clarify after that many hours you have enough levels (not ego, all ego does it unlock the dungeons which you'll have at 500 ego and unlock some extra loadout and perk slots) to be able to fully spec for one of the skills (and respecs are cheap thankfully, no arbitrary filler or grind needed)

I'll take little filler and hand holding and grind in a short game over the horribad padding of a short game into your average 'long' mmo.
But still, it is what it is, it's a game with little grind and filler that you can experience in its entirity in 40 ish hours.

Loadouts are a great concept btw... they store a gear AND spec template, so you can swap from shotgun or sniper camo build + pvp shield to AR and shotgun overdrive build and pve shield in under a second.

Whats that for? The other poster said people maxed out their level in 40 or sometimes 30 hours. I just questioned it because there was no way for me to get anywhere near 5000 in that amount of time.

CzarTim

Whats that for? The other poster said people maxed out their level in 40 or sometimes 30 hours. I just questioned it because there was no way for me to get anywhere near 5000 in that amount of time.

Apologies, I misinterpreted people saying that they finished everything in that timeframe as meaning they capped. Didn't realize the cap went that high!

I bought this today but I'm not sure if I'm feeling it. Might exchange it for another game soon, I'll give it another chance though.

I broke..i got to Rosa Rodriquez's tower and found so many weapons i wanted and no space to hold them (34 slots)

and i crumbled..used half of the 10.00 Sony gave me to fund 15 extra inventory spaces for 400 "bits"..i felt relieved..then dirty..
I'm going to go curl into a ball under a hot shower now. :(

Ricker

I've heard they're opening up parts of the map once the show starts.

See now that might be cool if the show is watchable of course...but from the trailer I saw,yeah it looked kinda generic,desert like small village with sand swirling around and they enter a bar,girl has a cloak like vest with a hoodie over her head etc etc but it was ok,not terribly bad...we shall see on the 15th...

reached 255 ego last night and opened up contracts. I'd really love to start in on these but theres no way of knowing where these areas are if you didn't purchase the guide.

I'm looking for Mine 99 trying to do the VBI contracts and it s really frustrating.

reached 255 ego last night and opened up contracts. I'd really love to start in on these but theres no way of knowing where these areas are if you didn't purchase the guide.

I'm looking for Mine 99 trying to do the VBI contracts and it s really frustrating.

wait, There's a guide?

Ok, I got what this game is all about - Shadow War. PvE content here is just to get your stuff and kill people while common folks wonder what the hell happening. Fun times.

Top Bottom