• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Opinion is improving. Did my first episode mission and that was pretty fun and a little intense. Maybe I'm imagining it but crouching or hiding behind cover does seem to work which is nice. I just hope the word "stako"doesn't catch on with anyone the way "frak" did.

You're not imagining there is real time cover behind objects.

I forsee a lot of rage and complaining in this thread when people get past the san francisco bridge.

The game spikes up in difficulty immensely after that.

I solo steamrolled my way through everything before that with great ease, only ever dying if I reallllllllllly messed up horribly (running out of ammo after driving into a huge group of enemies) but after the bridge all the enemies do way more damage, are much faster and are much more plentiful.
Died quite a few times and had to adjust my playstyle to be a lot less rambo and actually have to use corners and cover because you can't just mow them down all in 5seconds before your shield runs out anymore. If you see a laser from a sniper while fighting other enemies you have like 3-5seconds to find him and kill him because one shot will take all of your shields and the second one will kill you.
Just circlestrafing and dodging enemy grenades/rockets/spits/charges no longer cuts it.

The dark matter soldiers and the scrap enemies are far more dangerous than the hellbugs and raiders.

Pretty dissapointed in the look of the last area past the bridge though
was hoping it would be an inner city environment but it's more like some alien looking area with some ruins and those fugly ass spikes in the landscape from rift, along with an ugly color scheme
Game seems a lot smaller than I thought ,there seems to just be the area from the beta, then a similar sized area directly below it (a bit bigger) then across the bridge there is the final area I think? Anyone know if that's all?

Also there seem to be 7 coop dungeons which is cool ,but only 3 (instanced) mp maps is too few.

Sorry for double post but this shouldn't go lost in a wall of text:

IF YOU TURN OFF VOICE CHAT IT ALSO MUTES TEXT CHAT , so if your chat isn't working turn voice chat back on.
What a dumb bug

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I forsee a lot of rage and complaining in this thread when people get past the san francisco bridge.

The game spikes up in difficulty immensely after that.

I solo steamrolled my way through everything before that with great ease, only ever dying if I reallllllllllly messed up horribly (running out of ammo after driving into a huge group of enemies) but after the bridge all the enemies do way more damage, are much faster and are much more plentiful.
Died quite a few times and had to adjust my playstyle to be a lot less rambo and actually have to use corners and cover because you can't just mow them down all in 5seconds before your shield runs out anymore. If you see a laser from a sniper while fighting other enemies you have like 3-5seconds to find him and kill him because one shot will take all of your shields and the second one will kill you.
Just circlestrafing and dodging enemy grenades/rockets/spits/charges no longer cuts it.

The dark matter soldiers and the scrap enemies are far more dangerous than the hellbugs and raiders.

Pretty dissapointed in the look of the last area past the bridge though
was hoping it would be an inner city environment but it's more like some alien looking area with some ruins and those fugly ass spikes in the landscape from rift, along with an ugly color scheme
Game seems a lot smaller than I thought ,there seems to just be the area from the beta, then a similar sized area directly below it (a bit bigger) then across the bridge there is the final area I think? Anyone know if that's all?

Also there seem to be 7 coop dungeons which is cool ,but only 3 (instanced) mp maps is too few.

From what I can recall there are 5 areas in the launch game and on the map if you move your cursor about you'll get all 5 regions names so yeah it's smaller than I initially thought as well. Should be expanded upon in updates and you won't need to pay for those, just the content within those such as missions etc. Not sure how they'll work it yet but they'll be releasing free content as well.

Out of curiosity how many hours have you played so far ?

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm real tempted to check this game out. I haven't really been super interested in an MMO for a while, but a MMO third person shooter sounds fun, especially since it's available on consoles. How does the PS3 version fair? Is this game fun so far for people?

I'm real tempted to check this game out. I haven't really been super interested in an MMO for a while, but a MMO third person shooter sounds fun, especially since it's available on consoles. How does the PS3 version fair? Is this game fun so far for people?

As a hardcore PC gamer I'm enjoying playing it on a PS3 with a friend. It's quite fun all around, and when you're bored with carebearing it's possible to jump into PvP deathmatches and let off the steam. Not sure how fun could it be playing solo, not that great IMO.

Yuripaw

Banned
As a hardcore PC gamer I'm enjoying playing it on a PS3 with a friend. It's quite fun all around, and when you're bored with carebearing it's possible to jump into PvP deathmatches and let off the steam. Not sure how fun could it be playing solo, not that great IMO.

And here is where the problem would lie I guess =/ I've never really had any friends that I could play games with often, and the only time I got into an MMO in a big way was in FFXI. That game felt like it made people work together so much, that making friends was one of the reasons I played it. That's a concept lost on current MMOs I feel.

And here is where the problem would lie I guess =/ I've never really had any friends that I could play games with often, and the only time I got into an MMO in a big way was in FFXI. That game felt like it made people work together so much, that making friends was one of the reasons I played it. That's a concept lost on current MMOs I feel.

Yeah, I still remember joy meeting people in vanilla WoW, don't have that feel from MMOs nowadays.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've only been playing it solo and having a great time tbh. Have joined up naturally with folks during the bigger fights and then go off and do my own thing.

I've been playing it on PS3 since Wednesday, and have had a great time! None of my friends have the game yet, but It's still been fun to do a mission, and suddenly I'm in a "Party" of a few people doing the same mission. We end up working together by nature it seems.

And Major Arkfalls. Holy shit. PC MMO players are likely familiar, but for console gamers, there's nothing quite like a massive boss battle with 100+ people working together. Also, the PS3 version has been pretty stable; I hear the Xbox version is having some trouble right now. Either way, I'll recommend this game, easily. So much fun.

Effect

If there is one huge positive that came from Warhammer Online that I'm extremely happy about is it is the "public quest" and them showing other developers it can be done. That's what the major Arkfall mission are. Similar to "Rifts" in the game Rift and the public quest started in Warhammer. Quest/missions that happen in a certain location or at random that scale depending on how many people are in the given area (also based on the level range of that area) and taking part in it. Thus resulting in more or less stages (with the number of enemies matching) being unlocked for better rewards. No need to be grouped up with other players before hand. Just show up and take part in the action. Players automatically start paying attention to others and will help each other out.

FloatOn

I don't know if the fresh install worked or if the game server just started working again but I was able to get into the world yesterday. Looking forward to playing this weekend.

Tobor

Well I've only been playing it solo and having a great time tbh. Have joined up naturally with folks during the bigger fights and then go off and do my own thing.

Yeah, this game is fine to solo. I'll see a group fighting from the road, jump in and assist, then hop back in my car and go.

Sometimes the reverse is true. I'll be overwhelmed by myself and other players will cruise in and secure an area. It all works really well. No grouping, no fuss, no muss.

Ezio

Played this a bit last night and did a couple co-op missions with a buddy and a couple of other randoms. I gotta say I'm really digging this game so far. Using AR and Shotgun's right now and love them both. Shotgun + Overdrive is amazing.

Karak

For those on the sidelines I had recorded a video for another forum with some general thoughts. Basically just a video with some quick mini reviews.

If it helps get people into the game its worth it. The game is really damn fun.
I recorded some bits about the UI for those folks interested, the character creation, as well as a long Arcfall at the end of the video for people to get an idea of the larger battles. Smooth as silk with a ton of people in an Arcfall is such an amazing thing to playthrough.

Find it here and subscribe if you can as we will be doing more Defiance in depth bits.
Defiance Quick Look

Some of the dirty Bits

For:
Smoothness
UI
Ease of Grouping
ArcFalls
Random Events

Against:
Sharing quest issues

Zaph

Played this a bit last night and did a couple co-op missions with a buddy and a couple of other randoms. I gotta say I'm really digging this game so far. Using AR and Shotgun's right now and love them both. Shotgun + Overdrive is amazing.
I'm running around with stealth and a shotgun. Feels stupidly overpowered, at very close range it's basically a one-shot kill.

Really liking this game at the moment, which is surprising because the beta felt terrible. Hard to describe but I like that it's an MMO which doesn't require your full attention. You can just run around, shoot stuff, see other players, shoot stuff with them, or not and just shoot different stuff.

Amneisac

For those on the sidelines I had recorded a video for another forum with some general thoughts. Basically just a video with some quick mini reviews.

If it helps get people into the game its worth it. The game is really damn fun.
I recorded some bits about the UI for those folks interested, the character creation, as well as a long Arcfall at the end of the video for people to get an idea of the larger battles. Smooth as silk with a ton of people in an Arcfall is such an amazing thing to playthrough.

Find it here
Defiance Quick Look

Some of the dirty Bits

For:
Smoothness
UI
Ease of Grouping
ArcFalls
Random Events

Against:
Sharing quest issues

Great video, thanks for sharing. I'd be buying this 100% for pre-made groups with friends, so the quest sharing issue seems like a dealbreaker.

Karak

Great video, thanks for sharing. I'd be buying this 100% for pre-made groups with friends, so the quest sharing issue seems like a dealbreaker.

Thanks!

Ya I hope people can correct me if I am wrong. But we could never figure out how to do it(share). Add that to the fact that the devs stated that the game is made to feel very much about "you" the player and not about many players. So I think that is on purpose. But again I may be wrong. We just could never figure it out.

That being said Defiance has something going for it. I just can't put my figure on...what it is. It feels great, it also feels a bit dodgy. I think it is trully that the game offers solid fun. Regardless of quest sharing, or some of the MMO stylings, it offers fun at all times. Which is something is amazing to me. It dawned on me while playing it that many games that look better, offer more options, don't offer this consistent fun.

Anyone know where the settings are stored? I increased my resolution to 4K and this game doesn't like that very much and now mah screen be all white and I can't change mah settings.

I'm really digging the random events they have (not the arkfalls). Running as a duo we just completed a side quest and were standing by our truck arguing over whether to do another side quest or start the next story mission. A couple players run by us, guns blazing. The AI lady then says "wow thats a big one", I turn and see this 20ft tall mutant man come barreling down on us with hell bugs at his feet.
So now we're working with those other players to clean out the hellbug swarms while the giant is tossing grenades and/or charging us. I'm running around playing medic while scavenging for ammo off the hellbugs. There was a moment where I was rezzing one player while another was crawling to me and I could see my wife being chased by the giant in the background.
Once the damn thing finally died he dropped a blue quality grenade launcher for me and my wife got an upgraded shotgun. Good stuff.

hgplayer1

I'm really digging the random events they have (not the arkfalls). Running as a duo we just completed a side quest and were standing by our truck arguing over whether to do another side quest or start the next story mission. A couple players run by us, guns blazing. The AI lady then says "wow thats a big one", I turn and see this 20ft tall mutant man come barreling down on us with hell bugs at his feet.
So now we're working with those other players to clean out the hellbug swarms while the giant is tossing grenades and/or charging us. I'm running around playing medic while scavenging for ammo off the hellbugs. There was a moment where I was rezzing one player while another was crawling to me and I could see my wife being chased by the giant in the background.
Once the damn thing finally died he dropped a blue quality grenade launcher for me and my wife got an upgraded shotgun. Good stuff.

love these kinds of posts.

only thing that could have made it better is if you had illustrated it in MS Paint.

Im pretty much sold on the game just trying to decide when to actually pick it up.

Do all servers seem pretty stable? Has there been much emergency maintenance down time? Getting the 360 version.

Ricker

only thing that could have made it better is if you had illustrated it in MS Paint.

Im pretty much sold on the game just trying to decide when to actually pick it up.

Do all servers seem pretty stable? Has there been much emergency maintenance down time? Getting the 360 version.

They are having a lot of problems with the 360 version...during prime time,the lag makes it almost unplayable for many but they are working like crazy to try and find out and fix it...

''Quote
This is very much how we’re operating with our largest operational issue right now, the XBOX lag. We are constantly trying new approaches and changes to hone in on what is the cause. This isn’t a single bug or one problem. It’s not a programmer making a spelling error somewhere or someone stumbling over cables.

The XBOX cluster is a very complicated but wonderful beast, with very many moving parts. We are fiddling with all these moving parts, we take down the cluster, we reconfigure, add hardware to different functions, do server code updates, analyze network traffic, change the load balancers, change server protocols, move gateways around, poke the sgörneebörní (that denoted the end of my technical prowess).

But if you’ve been following how we do things from our last blog, here is the overview of today’s focus.

•Continued XBOX issues – Lag and server crashes. Our server operations team is throwing everything and the sink at it. We even had to stop one of them from throwing a kitchen sink at a server. Yes, we’re frustrated. Don’t ever think otherwise. We even employ “eat your own dog food” and have people play on XBOX instead of other platforms.''

I'm on the 360 and the servers are a little hit or miss at the moment. When they are stable I have been having a great amount of fun with this game. It' still the first week and they are working out the lag/stability bugs but other than that it's fun

I wouldn't in a million years buy this game if there is lag on your platform, if the pc version lagged I'd have gotten a refund from my bank by now.
Games like this just aren't viable with any kind of lag.

I'd wait to see if they actually fix it before buying this.

Karak

Anyone know where the settings are stored? I increased my resolution to 4K and this game doesn't like that very much and now mah screen be all white and I can't change mah settings.

They should be inside your documents folder either in the my games section or just in the normal documents folder(Depending on the game) I believe there are some .ini files there. Then just search for width in the .ini file until you find the width and height settings.

Zaph

That was my biggest concern before buying Defiance. MMO launches are very difficult as it is - even with one platform (usually PC) the developer struggles to keep up with around-the-clock patching and all the issues that come with MMO's.

But Trion is launching on three different platforms with three different server infrastructures/patching protocols/certification issues etc.

Their team is going to be spread thin to say the least.

They should be inside your documents folder either in the my games section or just in the normal documents folder(Depending on the game) I believe there are some .ini files there. Then just search for width in the .ini file until you find the width and height settings.

I forgot to preface that tidbit, I checked the usual folders and it's not there so I was thinking it was some place dumb.

Karak

I forgot to preface that tidbit, I checked the usual folders and it's not there so I was thinking it was some place dumb.

Ok check your steam common folder and inside there find the defiance folder. They should be in there. They have to be somewhere:(

They are having a lot of problems with the 360 version...during prime time,the lag makes it almost unplayable for many but they are working like crazy to try and find out and fix it...

''Quote
This is very much how we’re operating with our largest operational issue right now, the XBOX lag. We are constantly trying new approaches and changes to hone in on what is the cause. This isn’t a single bug or one problem. It’s not a programmer making a spelling error somewhere or someone stumbling over cables.

The XBOX cluster is a very complicated but wonderful beast, with very many moving parts. We are fiddling with all these moving parts, we take down the cluster, we reconfigure, add hardware to different functions, do server code updates, analyze network traffic, change the load balancers, change server protocols, move gateways around, poke the sgörneebörní (that denoted the end of my technical prowess).

But if you’ve been following how we do things from our last blog, here is the overview of today’s focus.

•Continued XBOX issues – Lag and server crashes. Our server operations team is throwing everything and the sink at it. We even had to stop one of them from throwing a kitchen sink at a server. Yes, we’re frustrated. Don’t ever think otherwise. We even employ “eat your own dog food” and have people play on XBOX instead of other platforms.''

XBL is looking really shitty to me right now because of this. It makes me wonder how Destiny will perform on the XBL platform in general when it releases.

It also makes me wonder if because of the way their tunneling service is configured this is why they(MS) cancelled the MMO's they had announced early in the 360's lifecycle.

trying to be patient but the lag and the game not really able to sync with my group friends is really disappointing and frustrating.

non sequitur, at what Ego levels do you unlock more of your Perk slots?

Karak

^ Ok that sucks.

If anyone who does or does NOT have the game and needs something covered in a video, feel free to ask here or at Angry Centaur Gaming Tutorials. We will be doing some Arcfalls tonight as well as a UI walkthrough and posting them but if you want anything special or help with a problem feel free to ask. I will try to help out. Loving it so far.

I did get a bug last night where all sound disappeared. Seems to me that almost all my bugs are fixed by simply dropping in and out. Which is nice...though it would be nicer to have NO bugs:)

Zaph

XBL is looking really shitty to me right now because of this. It makes me wonder how Destiny will perform on the XBL platform in general when it releases.

It also makes me wonder if because of the way their tunneling service is configured this is why they(MS) cancelled the MMO's they had announced early in the 360's lifecycle.
Yup, MS's Live standardisation, while it's done a lot of good to unify online console gaming, also makes it very difficult to do anything other than basic lobby and matchmaking multiplayer.

IIRC FFXI was permitted to break some of Live's rules and protocols because Microsoft wanted the Final Fantasy name so badly. I highly doubt Trion had any similar courtesies extended to them for Defiance.

Ok check your steam common folder and inside there find the defiance folder. They should be in there. They have to be somewhere:(

Didn't purchase off steam, though I checked the game's folder. Chances are high the settings are in one of the WAD files. Not sure which one though. =\

Been following this for a few days now and kind of interested in giving it a try. Keep in mind that I'll be playing the PC version in case there are any special considerations with that.

How easy is it to team up and play with friends? I saw something about quest sharing being an issue (why is this a problem? can't people just go and get the quest?)

Does the game seem to have longevity in its current form (DLC not withstanding)? Is there a lot to do?

How is exploration? It seems like the game world might be small and limited.

How is monster/enemy variety?

What is the time commitment like? Is it like a typical MMO with level and equipment grinds? Is this something I can play in short bursts and still make good progress?

How is the story? Are the quests typical MMO fare?

Do players have stats or is everything tied to your perks and weapon?

For those playing on PC, is 360 controller recommended or Mouse + KB? I usually use Mouse + KB for everything sans games with console heavy control schemes (e.g. Assassin's Creed).

Karak

Been following this for a few days now and kind of interested in giving it a try. Keep in mind that I'll be playing the PC version in case there are any special considerations with that.

How easy is it to team up and play with friends? I saw something about quest sharing being an issue (why is this a problem? can't people just go and get the quest?)

Does the game seem to have longevity in its current form (DLC not withstanding)? Is there a lot to do?

How is exploration? It seems like the game world might be small and limited.

How is monster/enemy variety?

What is the time commitment like? Is it like a typical MMO with level and equipment grinds? Is this something I can play in short bursts and still make good progress?

How is the story? Are the quests typical MMO fare?

Do players have stats or is everything tied to your perks and weapon?
All this is answered in my video above and in more depth but

Watch Defiance Quick Look

Or Read:)

1. Easy as pie. I mean like 2-3 buttons to warp to friends, add friends, search for players, join groups, and chat. Same with yelling out for things like help and so forth.
2. The issues with quest sharing are just that. You can't. So you could find yourself traveling across the map to get the quest someone has.
3. DLC does seem to be VERY in depth and there is a ton of content. The devs have been pretty open about it. Also they can add things in to the live server without the need of taking it down and that includes bosses and large Arc Falls
4. The exploration is pretty cool if you like Fallout style worlds. Lots to see but NOT as wondrous as many fantasy MMOs
5. Enemy variety isn't the games strong point right now. Enemy interaction and massive battles 100+ ARE the strong points.
6. Not much of a grind, mounts given at level 1 and with good planning you can battle with almost anyone. Short bursts WILL reward you if you burst doing arcfalls and the large randoms.
7. Story seems cool, again in an alien Fallout way but its not super strong so far
8. Stats are tied into your abilities and the weapons you get. Not the character that I can see.
9. Controller for me and I love M + KB but the controller is stupendous. M + KB works but the way the UI is set up and how fast it is you do not notice any drop off in speed or anything with the controller.

I have a personal love for the abilities and some of them are very cool. Also because of the way you use them most are passive which means you aren't forced to have a massive set of keyboard commands. I am LOVING it. It really fits into the idea of a shooter + mmo.

All this is answered in my video above and in more depth but

Watch Defiance Quick Look

Or Read:)

1. Easy as pie. I mean like 2-3 buttons to warp to friends, add friends, search for players, join groups, and chat. Same with yelling out for things like help and so forth.
2. The issues with quest sharing are just that. You can't. So you could find yourself traveling across the map to get the quest someone has.
3. DLC does seem to be VERY in depth and there is a ton of content. The devs have been pretty open about it. Also they can add things in to the live server without the need of taking it down and that includes bosses and large Arc Falls
4. The exploration is pretty cool if you like Fallout style worlds. Lots to see but NOT as wondrous as many fantasy MMOs
5. Enemy variety isn't the games strong point right now. Enemy interaction and massive battles 100+ ARE the strong points.
6. Not much of a grind, mounts given at level 1 and with good planning you can battle with almost anyone. Short bursts WILL reward you if you burst doing arcfalls and the large randoms.
7. Story seems cool, again in an alien Fallout way but its not super strong so far
8. Stats are tied into your abilities and the weapons you get. Not the character that I can see.
9. Controller for me and I love M + KB but the controller is stupendous. M + KB works but the way the UI is set up and how fast it is you do not notice any drop off in speed or anything with the controller.

I have a personal love for the abilities and some of them are very cool. Also because of the way you use them most are passive which means you aren't forced to have a massive set of keyboard commands. I am LOVING it. It really fits into the idea of a shooter + mmo.

This sounds awesome. Thanks for taking the time to answer, and I can't view your video from work but I'll be sure to check it out later. I think I'm going to pick this up and play it over the weekend. I'll be sure to post any impressions here!

There's some issues with how they're handling questing with friends. If you're working together doing the same quests, there are no issues at all. But if you already completed a story mission you can't assist your friend in doing it. The game will throw you into a seperate instance until they leave the area. Seems to only happen with story based missions.

So I ordered the physical CE which should come tomorrow. How long does it take from opening the box to playing the game? I imagine large amounts of patches are required despite the disk install...

Karak

This sounds awesome. Thanks for taking the time to answer, and I can't view your video from work but I'll be sure to check it out later. I think I'm going to pick this up and play it over the weekend. I'll be sure to post any impressions here!

Thanks! You will love the video if you like the idea of large numbers of peeps taking down a massive boss and those larger group battles. It is a strong point with the game.
And its no problem at all. I know what it feels like to be trying to figure this kind of thing out and the fact that Defiance isn't a massive game with tons of info makes it harder to locate the information you need.

So I ordered the physical CE which should come tomorrow. How long does it take from opening the box to playing the game? I imagine large amounts of patches are required despite the disk install...
Actually only 2(I think) patches 1 big one small. The big one isn't actually that large. Took a couple minutes.

CzarTim

This game is way more fun than it should be. I hope too many people don't get turned off by the SyFy thing. I have little interest in the show, but the gameplay is so much fun.

Karak

This game is way more fun than it should be. I hope too many people don't get turned off by the SyFy thing. I have little interest in the show, but the gameplay is so much fun.

It is crazy isn't it. It has some small issues...HOWEVER the fun overrides that tremendously.

It is crazy isn't it. It has some small issues...HOWEVER the fun overrides that tremendously.

I have to agree, i got booted twice last night, and each time after a short huff session..i wasn't even mad..i got back in and immersed myself..i just got a shotgun that shoots grenades that explode on impact. Yeah.

Top Bottom