• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

It's the same thing, at certain ego ratings you'll unlock new stuff (more inventory space, a new loadout slot, more coop dungeons or w/e).
For some reason they call it power rating at those tresholds... fuck knows why.

The popups on your screen every time you log in (which get annoying fast) remind you of what the last things your ego rating have unlocked are. That's all there is to it.

Ah, great, thanks. This game is really fun but rough around the edges. The baffling PC-console hybrid UI just adds to the confusion.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Game still continues to be a blast :) Didn't get to play much over the weekend for various reasons but still having a good time with it.

For anyone interested in how they're handling DLC this was mentioned on one of their blog posts by the Executive Producer.

http://community.defiance.com/en/20...ts-been-amazing-but-why-do-we-still-have-lag/

What’s our DLC plan? – I’ve seen a lot of you mention this and this is material for an entire blog post because there is so much I want to talk about. However, let’s be short. There are at least 5 DLCs this year. They all have a free and paid component. We do not want to segregate our playerbase so we always want everybody be able to participate and play with friends. The free part is features and content, the paid part is essentially, say, access to a new playable species with a bundle of stuff with it. The upcoming TV tie-ins aren’t DLCs that cost either. It’s all yours.

Though the DLC has been put back a little bit as they are concentrating in getting all launch problems sorted out as soon as possible.

Okay, I just grabbed a boxed copy of the PC version. Hopefully I dig it. I've dabbled in MMOs before, but the combat always turns me off after 10-20 hours. Maybe this'll do the trick...

Played it for about 30 minutes now.

It's weird how messed up the interface is, and a lot of shit just don't make sense, but still I find I dig it. Looking forward to digging into it a bit more.

I like the idea of playing 'Sniper: The RPG'

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Played it for about 30 minutes now.

It's weird how messed up the interface is, and a lot of shit just don't make sense, but still I find I dig it. Looking forward to digging into it a bit more.

I like the idea of playing 'Sniper: The RPG'

At first the interface bothered me but after awhile I started to really enjoy it.

Hazanko

Banned
It's a fun game but I can see it getting boring. The weapons don't seem that great at higher levels and all the cool outfits are only available to buy. Just seems quite shallow if you really think about it. I know they can't make weapons overpowered and I'm glad they don't but even if they made higher level weapons look cool and have more outfit unlocks, it would be great. I also don't understand the classes like machinist etc.. They don't really do anything different so I really don't know they have even had the choice in the first place.

Pollux

I'm planning on buying this tomorrow, does it run OK on the 360? Or should I go with the PS3 version?

NIN90

I think I had to literally search for couple minutes to find the "Exit Game" option.
Had to press ESC, then hold spacebar and then click on the upper right corner (while there is a huge ring menu in the middle that draws all of your attention). Of course, silly me!

nataku

I think I had to literally search for couple minutes to find the "Exit Game" option.
Had to press ESC, then hold spacebar and then click on the upper right corner (while there is a huge ring menu in the middle that draws all of your attention). Of course, silly me!

Control+Q works as well.

The moment mutant hulks start wandering the overworld (outside of the co-op) I got giddy, taking one down after running away from it right into a random players firefight with some raiders ended up working out, we took it down eventually, that thing is brutal..and relentless O__O

Playing on PC with a 360 controller. Liking it after an hour, but two things:

1. How do you evasive roll with controller play? It's 'ALT' on keyboard, but as far as I can tell there's no controller equivalent.

2. I'm doing a very early mission where I have to 'seize Sniper Ridge'. I killed all the dudes, including a big mutant with a grenade launcher, but I don't know how to end the mission. Bug?

Phreaker

Is it okay to buy this used (on 360)? There isn't some one time activation code or anything? (The Ebay listing also says "No digital code or booklet insert")

MisterC20XX

You can use Ctrl+Q for a quick exit

Kuno

Is it okay to buy this used (on 360)? There isn't some one time activation code or anything? (The Ebay listing also says "No digital code or booklet insert")

There's a code in the box, but it's only for some in-game items. I think a used copy would work fine.

That said, the 360 version was pretty bad in my opinion. Both the framerate and graphical quality. I returned it and exchanged it for the PC version (thanks Target!), which is way, WAY better in every way. Even on a crappy rig it should run better than the console versions.

Phreaker

There's a code in the box, but it's only for some in-game items. I think a used copy would work fine.

That said, the 360 version was pretty bad in my opinion. Both the framerate and graphical quality. I returned it and exchanged it for the PC version (thanks Target!), which is way, WAY better in every way. Even on a crappy rig it should run better than the console versions.

Thanks Kuno! I think I'll get it on PC then I have a good PC.

SLV

It might be talked previously but is the game key region based ? Thinking of buying in amazon digital, and i am from Europe, will i be able to play in Euro servers ?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It might be talked previously but is the game key region based ? Thinking of buying in amazon digital, and i am from Europe, will i be able to play in Euro servers ?

You can play on either NA or EU servers with the PC version.

Also IIRC Amazon digital doesn't offer titles for non-US customers..

Greenmangaming.com has a discount offer on it until the 17th I believe, might be UK only however.

SLV

You can play on either NA or EU servers with the PC version.

Also IIRC Amazon digital doesn't offer titles for non-US customers..

Greenmangaming.com has a discount offer on it until the 17th I believe, might be UK only however.

Thanks ! Does not matter that i am from Europe, i can buy it there for 49.99$ anyway ;)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Server Update: April 9th 10:00am PT - All NA Platforms
We will be starting server updates on all NA platforms beginning at 10:00am PT.

Server Downtime:
Date: April 9th, 2013
Time: 10:00am PT
Duration: 1 hour

Patch Notes:
-Crash fixes
-Fix for PC that caused some intractables to not be intractable (potentially progress gating)
-Tutorial mutants made slightly more ferocious
-Tutorial: Made EGO test for Overcharge to be a one shot kill to match other powers
-Tutorial: Fixed reactor to only be active when you trigger it
-Tutorial: Fix to add back some additional ego calls.
-Fix for pursuit and contract exploits
-Fix for uncompletable daily contract

I must admit that the TV show angle left me hesitant to try this, but I played for about 5-7 hours straight last night and I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. I'm really looking forward to playing some more later today. Here are my early impressions of the game:

It was really convenient that I could just re-use my existing Trion Worlds account from when I played Rift. I logged into the Trion Worlds Defiance site, activated my serial code, and started the patcher. Download speeds were slow at first (0.5 MB/s) but eventually maxed out and fluctuated between 3-5 MB/s. This was on a 50/10 connection, so other experiences may vary. The game appears to use a P2P patching system which is probably why download speeds were slow at first. That could also explain why some users may experience problems (port conflicts, NAT, and other network issues can kill download speeds in torrent-like patching systems). I think it took about an hour or less for the entire download.

Very few video and graphic options were available but I was already expecting that since it had been mentioned in this thread. Everything was auto-detected so I increased my mouse sensitivity, left everything else at default and was on my merry way.

Let me begin by saying that character customization is sorely lacking and disappointing. I could not create a decent looking human male character without adding some type of facial hair and even then everything I tried just looked incredibly generic and way too 'dudebro' for my tastes. I have found this to be a common problem in most western games that feature character creation and I have certainly seen worse. Human female options were better but still pretty limiting. The alien race was really ugly and extremely unappealing. There wasn't anything interesting about them at all. I don't know why they didn't include some of the other playable races at launch.

Some of the character customization options are mind boggling and they do not give you much control over anything at all. You're stuck with ugly permanent tattoos all over your body, some options add piercings (why not make this a separate option?), and there really should have been some more color options for various features like blemishes, tattoos, and face paint. When it was all said and done, I wasn't too terribly happy, but I emerged with a Suicide Girl looking human female that will just have to do. As a consolation, once I equipped my Infiltrator suit from the collector's edition, I looked like a bad ass cyborg female ninja.

In the opening cutscene, I can't help but notice that the 'actor' characters from the show sure stand out like sore thumbs. Onto the tutorial, the game does an acceptable job of explaining the basics as you run around, exploring the crash site and completing basic tasks. I was really surprised to see a bunch of other players running around with me in the tutorial area and how easy it was to group up and complete tasks together.

I'm not one to scrutinize pixels and texture quality but I thought everything looked pretty great (maxed out on a GTX 670) and my performance was very smooth. You obviously can't compare this to a stand-alone FPS or TPS (this is no Halo 4, Crysis 3, or Gears of War), but as far as MMOs go, it's definitely one of the better looking MMOs out there. Playing at a consistent clip improves the overall quality tremendously. Character animations look good except for the somewhat odd moon jump. I'm not sure if I like the slight pause after rolling either, but I guess it does add a nice cinematic effect.

I elected to use Mouse and Keyboard controls and I feel like a lot of the complaints about the interface have been exaggerated to some degree. All the standard controls felt great and the menus were easily workable. Logging out and exiting the game is certainly obtuse, but thankfully I read about the radial menu and how to exit ealier in this thread before playing so it wasn't a problem. I also appreciated the lack of a countdown or multiple confirmations. I clicked exit and within seconds it dumped me to the desktop. Nice. Maybe most of the inefficiencies will begin to show once I start getting into modding, inventory management, trading, vendor interactions, and other things but it's fine for now. My only major complaint is the lack of an auto-run. I know that you can toggle run with the SHIFT key but having to hold the directional arrows as you move around the map or drive your vehicle around gets really tiresome. I might end up switching to a controller based on this alone.

It's definitely easy to play with friends. I pulled up the quick menu (CTRL), it found all nearby players, I added the person I was looking for to my contact list and invited them to my group, all from the same menu. I used the move to friend function to instantly port to that person and was grouped and on my way in a matter of seconds. I was a little surprised by the auto in-game voice chat for groups too. The quality didn't seem that good so I disabled it for now but was impressed that they implemented this feature.

I really like how the game encourages grouping in a similar manner to Guild Wars 2. Everyone can participate and join together in events and quests in a very automated and streamlined manner. It does feel a bit weird when people are completing tasks in your quests and advancing progress without you actually doing anything but it's better than the alternative of waiting and fighting over objectives.

To summarize, as it's been stated before, there are some things that are mediocre to above average about the game and some things that are just great. I can't really say exactly what it is about the game overall that is so compelling but I had an absolute blast playing it last night. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Longevity and variety are two of my biggest concerns with Defiance right now, so I hope Trion really gives this game the support it deserves, regardless of how the companion show turns out or not.

A lot of people have been saying 'I don't know what it is about this game, but I like it more than I should' and I totally agree

nataku

Any other PC users constantly get disconnected the past few days?

Really annoying when I get disconnected during a story mission and have to start over on it.

Slime

Banned
Whywhywhy do I want this so badly? Something about it is sucking me in.

Have to finish up BioShock Infinite first, but I might just jump into this next. For some reason.

WorldStar

Banned
Anyone grab this on PS3?

How is it? How strong is the community? Never played an MMO on a console before, but interested in trying.

Whywhywhy do I want this so badly? Something about it is sucking me in.

Have to finish up BioShock Infinite first, but I might just jump into this next. For some reason.

There's just something about this game. Bought it yesterday on a whim and I'm loving it. It's just fun.

phierce

Anyone grab this on PS3?

How is it? How strong is the community? Never played an MMO on a console before, but interested in trying.
I have it for PS3. Some others have complained about the lack of players, but as far as my personal experience, I always see several other players, and the number of players seem to be increasing.

The random groups I have joined for co-op missions have all been pretty good/fun and the random players were friendly.

The text chat system kind of sucks ass, so unless your on a mic (which, in it's current state, isn't great either), communication is limited.

How's the button config on ps3? Remapable? Anything important on L3?

I'd appreciate a reply.
The button config is pretty standard. L1 aims, R1 shoots, R2 tosses grenades, X jumps, etc. I honestly don't remember if the buttons are mappable (I don't believe so, but currently at work and can't check).

L3 sprints.

Edit: just got home and checked...yes, you can remap the controls.

Top Bottom