• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there currently any way to redeem Arkfall codes on the PC version? They've disabled the feature on the My EGO website.

There's a redeem code button in the in-game store, not sure if they're the same. You could also try in the account management at defiance.trionworlds.com

Regarding the NA/EU regions, I was wrong -- they're separate. There's no NA GAF clan yet then I assume?

Amneisac

There's a redeem code button in the in-game store, not sure if they're the same. You could also try in the account management at defiance.trionworlds.com

Regarding the NA/EU regions, I was wrong -- they're separate. There's no NA GAF clan yet then I assume?

I'm totally down with joining a GAF clan if anyone wants to make one. Of course, typically GAF clans last about 7-10 days before being deserted :(

Are all the servers in the US or is the EU server actually for EU people? In other words, if I haven't started playing yet should I just join the EU server for the GAF clan?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm totally down with joining a GAF clan if anyone wants to make one. Of course, typically GAF clans last about 7-10 days before being deserted :(

Are all the servers in the US or is the EU server actually for EU people? In other words, if I haven't started playing yet should I just join the EU server for the GAF clan?

I'm in Europe but I play on the NA server, it was the default chosen for me.

nataku

Hotshot: Reservoir Chickens - Probably one of the worst mini games ever created. Needs to be patched asap.

I had that bug out and switch to my normal gun.

I went on a slaughter. Not a single chicken escaped alive. Until I ran out of ammo, anyway.

Mindlog

Trying to complete the Soleptor Contract: Occupational Hazard. I picked up a gas mask, but I don't now how. I've been killing these dudes like crazy. Maybe avoid all crits?
*Figured it out @_@

Uh oh, motion sickness. I'm guessing no way to change FOV?

Doesn't seem like it:( the more I play the more the fov bothers me (850 ego atm)
It's so disorienting to play any shooter with horse blinders, idk what the fov is in this game but it feels like 60 ish. wayyyy too low.

Mindlog

Glad I'm not the only one who's losing the will because of that mission. Can't even complete it, nevermind silver it.
It's a frequent source of complaint. Wouldn't be surprised to see it get some attention after the server situation is sorted.

I also want them to figure out how they're going to change weapon leveling. I'm holding on to two ARs that I really like, but not using them to keep leveling. In the mean time I'll keep buying ARs with the special vendors.

Like I said earlier, finish the episode missions if you can. That rifle is great. If anyone doesn't want it I'll buy it for several times over what a vendor gives you for it!

My Tier 3 boxes have been awful. Legendaries are a lie.

Amneisac

Doesn't seem like it:( the more I play the more the fov bothers me (850 ego atm)
It's so disorienting to play any shooter with horse blinders, idk what the fov is in this game but it feels like 60 ish. wayyyy too low.

I guess I should have known better. I heard it was a really bad port to PC. Maybe if I play on the TV instead of my monitor it will help some. I seriously hate this shit.

Drain You

After a slow as could be download ( took around 5 hours ) It won't even let me connect to the server upon trying to start up the game. :(

I guess I should have known better. I heard it was a really bad port to PC. Maybe if I play on the TV instead of my monitor it will help some. I seriously hate this shit.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to edit the settings properly so I can fix the fov and turn off those gross lensflares.
(if they ban me for doing that then so be it)

amrod

Damn went to log in to NA PC version... Huge line, 540 people ahead of me :\

[edit] Wow that didnt last long... <5min and I got in [/edit]

Mindlog

The servers just came back from an update. I'm going to try and complete a run of the Island.

Was ~1200 in line with an estimated wait time of 1 Day. Just got in.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Guys, they took down the servers not long ago (4:30 PST, 7:30 EST) for all platforms in order to push a bunch of fixes and upgrades out. The outage was scheduled for roughly 30 minutes total, and servers should be coming back up.

Try connecting again if it failed recently.

Them rebooting the servers every few hours doesn't seem to help at all.
Still disconnecting from multiplayer matches at about a 1/2 ratio.

So many exploiters and cheaters... we just had a guy with permanent camo who didnt unstealth while firing his weapons and there's already videos of speedhacks(including fast firing and reload and all the usual cheat engine stuff)

Got to wonder how many there are already since only the ones who suck at hiding it are obvious.

Drain You

Finally got to play. First impressions were good. First MMO I have ever really played and I am liking it. Caught myself pausing the game a few times then realizing it wasn't actually pausing anything. Can't wait to get into it tomorrow when I have more time to play.

outsida

So I'm stuck on this damn Old Friends Old Swords mission... It's bugged and isn't triggering properly. The farmer I'm supposed to be saving just runs back and forth hysterically while the eneimies respawn again and again. >=(

Tobor

Finally did a co-op mission with a friend from work and two randoms. Luckily, one of the randoms called healing and was really good at it. Super fun.

khustla

Banned
This is definitely the sleeper hit of 2013 like sleeping dogs was last year.The game was never on my radar but now it's one of my favorites of the year maybe because I missed out how amazing mmo's can be because I'm strictly a console player.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How is PVP handled in this game? Always on? 'Flag' ala traditional PVE servers? Queue for "battlegrounds"? Other?

From what I can tell it's all handled via instanced Matchmaking (Team DM etc.), I think the "Shadow Wars" are this game's version of battlegrounds, please correct me if I'm anyone, I haven't looked too closely at them.

GlamFM

Banned
Ok, I´m kind of confused. I just learned about this game via GiantBomb QL, but I can´t seem to find much info on this game.

It seems to be out right? Why are there no reviews?
Is it any good on 360?

I´m really kind of interested in this.

Dits

How is PVP handled in this game? Always on? 'Flag' ala traditional PVE servers? Queue for "battlegrounds"? Other?

Typical team deathmatch is queued into and you are teleported to areas when ready.

Shadow War is 64 v 64 in the open world, still queued into but takes place in a random location on the map. Plays more like Conquest mode with A B C D E to attack and defend

Not at all. The servers have been fine this whole weekend. Does the game chug at times? Yep. Does it look good? Nope. Is it addicting as hell and fun to play? Big yes.

I picked up the PS3 version tonight because of this post - which probably doesn't make much sense - but it's the best no bullshit answer in regards to the console version. In fact, I assume the PS3 version is worse. Definitely framey. Looks like crap, especially considering I *just* finished crysis 3 on my PC all jacked up.

But I had a feeling that the MMO trappings with decent gunplay and a decent developer (I did enjoy rift) had the potential to be better than the sum of its parts. And that's definitely true. I can't say that anything I did was extraordinary. Guns are ok. Driving is kinda ok. Quests are pretty good and varied. Graphics are below average on the ps3 (to be expected of a MMO on any platform). So, yeah, each individual piece isn't amazing. But you stick it all together and it's 5:45am and I've played all night long. It has that special something that all good MMOs have. My sleep cycle isn't going to be happy with this.

Is overcharge any good? Having 10% additional damage seems pretty weak bonus, so is it the corresponding perks that make it powerful?

JebusF

Neo Member
Not at all. The servers have been fine this whole weekend. Does the game chug at times? Yep. Does it look good? Nope. Is it addicting as hell and fun to play? Big yes.

It looks terrible, the cut-scenes have tearing all over and it takes at least 45 minutes after putting the disc in before you can start (mandatory install, patches etc).

However, is it fun? I think so, yeah. It's weirdly compulsive, despite looking as generic and murky as it possibly could. One of those games where suddenly, you're still playing, and you don't even really know why!

If you can go PC on this one, then you definitely should.

Is overcharge any good? Having 10% additional damage seems pretty weak bonus, so is it the corresponding perks that make it powerful?
Yeah overcharge is good (at least for PVE). Especially when you upgrade it. I believe it's an extra 10% damage with each additionally tier. There are a couple perks that lengthen it's duration and shorten it's recharge time which help considerably.

I've looked and I don't see that this has been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

What is ego rating vs. power rating, and how does it play into gaining ego points? What does the XP bar at the bottom of the screen signify? I'm perplexed.

It's 30 percent dmg at max level and it's mostly about the instant reload combined with perks that reload your guns on explosive kills and allow you to reload faster while overdrive is active.

What the overdrive talent doesn't mention is that while active it remove all recoil from your weapon, so a light machine gun with heavy recoil ,high fire rate and high damage suddenly becomes really really really strong for 12 ish seconds with it.

bebop242

I've looked and I don't see that this has been discussed elsewhere in this thread.

What is ego rating vs. power rating, and how does it play into gaining ego points? What does the XP bar at the bottom of the screen signify? I'm perplexed.

Can't answer the first couple questions, but when your xp bar fills up it adds 10 to your ego ranking. I can't even recall a power ranking lol. This game is not good at explaining stuff.....AT ALL.

It's the same thing, at certain ego ratings you'll unlock new stuff (more inventory space, a new loadout slot, more coop dungeons or w/e).
For some reason they call it power rating at those tresholds... fuck knows why.

The popups on your screen every time you log in (which get annoying fast) remind you of what the last things your ego rating have unlocked are. That's all there is to it.

It's 30 percent dmg at max level and it's mostly about the instant reload combined with perks that reload your guns on explosive kills and allow you to reload faster while overdrive is active.

What the overdrive talent doesn't mention is that while active it remove all recoil from your weapon, so a light machine gun with heavy recoil ,high fire rate and high damage suddenly becomes really really really strong for 12 ish seconds with it.

oh nice yeah I thought had to be better than just a 10% damage boost, that just isnt enough to be noticeable IMO

Karak

Ok, I´m kind of confused. I just learned about this game via GiantBomb QL, but I can´t seem to find much info on this game.

Is it any good on 360?

I put up a very basic mini look a couple days ago
Link to Mini review

Basic review.
The game is far more fun than it has any right to be. Additionally for the cost, I have already got double maybe triple the normal return on investment on a game. Pretty insane really.

Is it any good on 360?

I've been playing on 360 and this is my first time playing an MMO and its a good one.

I am hooked!!

now that's not saying the game hasn't had a bumpy launch on 360 and there are some balance issues, but Trion is all over any and all issues really very quickly.

for my limited knowledge of MMO's this one runs decent but during arkfalls when there are several (50-100+) players there there is some lag and when playing in a group the game has had some difficulty syncing the group together, but I have faith Trion will continue to tighten the experience up as its been steadily improving since last weeks launch.

Is this available at retail? I have some Gamestop credit I need to use up...

for what platform?

Top Bottom