• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Just bought the game last night and played it some yesterday and this morning. A handful of questions and random impressions.

I've gotten a few mod items but can't seem to equip them. Is there any way to know what they'll actually work with vs. what I have? Sniping is really easy against the computer AI.

I did enjoy doing a few missions where some other players were just there and we had to defend a base. The enemy AI is so bad though. Feels like I can just run in and seldomly die. The mutants are a bit tougher.

I picked the Outlaw character. I don't even know what that means for their skills? You get a pistol and a shotgun initially, so I'd assume it's a run and gun type character????

Controls felt kind of cheap/choppy, but defending the base was fun and there seems to be plenty of missions. I wish there was a better description of what the stats mean. I'll definitely be giving it more time though. Playing on PC.

Mindlog

Is there any way to remove mods and save them? Also, what should I be doing with the key codes?
Yes. You can remove mods (which will destroy them and clear a weapon) or recover mods (which will save them but destroy the weapon.) It can be done from the salvage matrix and costs the green money. This is an excellent guide to modding.
Yeah, I bought a Tier 4 box and got jackshit. Frontier SAW is pretty awesome tho, I'm sad now that I've maxed out it's XP. :(
Sell it and buy a new one! They're really cheap.
z9ZshKA.jpg
The market next to #15.

*Killshot landed on a Hellion!
Thank you Frontier SAW

GrayFoxPL

The button config is pretty standard. L1 aims, R1 shoots, R2 tosses grenades, X jumps, etc. I honestly don't remember if the buttons are mappable (I don't believe so, but currently at work and can't check).

L3 sprints.

Edit: just got home and checked...yes, you can remap the controls.

Late thanks!

Yuripaw

Banned
What the heck is up with the loading? I got the PS3 version, and I installed, and updated all the patches...I was at the create a character screen, and hit X to start new game, and I've been sitting at a load screen for over 5 minutes.

Just ended up going back to dashboard, cuz that was too long...

Is there any info on lockboxes? Does each tier offer a higher percentage chance for legendarys? Because if not the 2 item box is actually the best cost to item ratio by a pretty long shot.

I've been buying tier 3 to hedge my bets. In 4 boxes I've gotten 3 purples and 1 orange and the rest trash. My legendary, of course, is a pistol. But man that thing owns.

I think the fourth tier is supposed to give the highest chance of an orange but right now the third tier gives the best chance. I'm basing all of this from what I read on the official forums and Reddit's section on the game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Passed 300 ego rating, woop(!), the co-op "dungeons" are quite fun once you unlock more than the first one. Currently using one of the heal-yourself combat shotguns which rocks!

Passed 300 ego rating, woop(!), the co-op "dungeons" are quite fun once you unlock more than the first one. Currently using one of the heal-yourself combat shotguns which rocks!

wait , what?
I JUST got my first cluster grenade from an arkfall, and I'm still finding out there are weapon combinations I've never heard of at EGO lvl 550+ O__O

Placed 4th in a major arkfall last night. Thank you Frontier SAW!

I underestimated it, that thing is monster mode for real.

Mindlog

I topped the leader board on a Major Arkfall as soon as I switched to the saw.
I modded it so that it shoots 136 bullets.
What mod are you using? I use the cheap one at Demon Ranch for 111 rounds. It's very expensive to keep removing good mods from SAWs because they level extremely fast. For those that don't know (most do) Overcharge also reloads your weapon so that's an effective 222 rounds in certain circumstances.

The thing about the SAW is that you can top leaderboards even if you show up late to an Arkfall. If you show up when it starts it isn't unheard of to top the second place player by one or two million points of damage. That might be a touch too much.

However, the SAW is almost useless against the final boss. Especially on console.
Recent patch notes said they plan on nerfing cluster shotguns. The cluster shotgun is very effective against the final boss. I would try to beat the game before that patch hits.

The final boss is quite difficult and very different from pretty much every other encounter. If the DLC adds more encounters like the final boss my season pass purchase is guaranteed.
Where do you get this god tier weapon?
It's on the map a couple of posts up.

Ogni-XR21

Online with a friend on PS3, we both have headsets but cannot talk to each other... anyone know what we might not think of? We tried muting/unmuting several options but with no luck...

phierce

Online with a friend on PS3, we both have headsets but cannot talk to each other... anyone know what we might not think of? We tried muting/unmuting several options but with no luck...
Had the same issue last night. My buddy could hear me, but I could not hear him. We tried your ways along with disbanding/regrouping, quitting out/relogging back in, etc.

The voice communication is really my only gripe with this game. Hopefully they fix it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
wait , what?
I JUST got my first cluster grenade from an arkfall, and I'm still finding out there are weapon combinations I've never heard of at EGO lvl 550+ O__O

It's one with a syphon nano-effect (I think it's called that, the purple swirly sphere). It recharges shields when criting, or health if the shield is depleted. :)

Ogni-XR21

Had the same issue last night. My buddy could hear me, but I could not hear him. We tried your ways along with disbanding/regrouping, quitting out/relogging back in, etc.

The voice communication is really my only gripe with this game. Hopefully they fix it.

We managed to get the chat to work when joining as a group. But we never got the area chat to work. Voice quality was good but could be down for a few seconds every once in a while. But glad we got it to work in the end.

I did my first co-op dungeon last night and every single player was using the Frontier Saw.

Yeah, the secret is out. They'll nerf it for sure.

Its all I use as well.

AFAIK outside of the one you get for a quest reward and the ones you can buy with rep from top notch tool works, SAW's as random weapon drops are very rare.

I wouldn't expect them to get nerfed. they aren't really OP once you get into san fran.

I would love to find one that did electrical damage.

Dinosur

Yes. You can remove mods (which will destroy them and clear a weapon) or recover mods (which will save them but destroy the weapon.) It can be done from the salvage matrix and costs the green money. This is an excellent guide to modding.

Whoops! That's right, if your weapon is equipped you can't perform any action to it.

Oh man, I feel so stupid now.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Still no PS3 clan?
I keep getting random clan invites which I ignore for want of joining the apparently two other PS3 Defiance GAFfers out there. :(

We could use some clan leaders folks.
I got EU/PC covered (See OP), and could create one for NA/PC if there's no one in the US to do so (I'd rather not, as I'm playing mostly on EU).

Still leaves 360 and PS3.

Mindlog

I'm using the FRC SAW. Same thing right? Or is there something I'm missing?
There are some differences. I know the ammo count from IGN is inaccurate.
Type Frontier Saw
DMG - 400
Fire Rate - 10.0
Mag - 85
Reload - 4.5
Crit Mult - 1.5x
Bloom - 0.80

Type FRC SAW
DMG - 400
Fire Rate - 8.0
Mag - .5
Reload - 4.1
Crit Mult - 1.5x
Bloom - 0.90

I don't yet have the exact interaction between Fire Rate and Bloom. I found an FRC SAW with nano-electrical that I can't wait to try out.
• Exclusive Launch-Only In-Game Title: Daredevil

• 1-Week Weapons Skill Boost

• 1-Week Scrip Boost

• 1-Week Loot Boost

• 1-Week XP Boost
Nice!

Arkfall Stat Bug Workaround: The stat resets every time you start a major Arkfall with an enemy different from your previous enemy. If you stick to one Arkfall type the stats hold. All I need is 2300 more kills.

phierce

Well, fuck.

Read about the bonuses given by Trion...get home from work excited to play...log in...notice my fully upgraded assault rifle is gone.

First bug/issue I've had, outside of shitty voice communication, with this game.

Not that huge of a deal, but that gun was pretty bad ass. This sucks.

I've seen people driving around in a couple of different cars and even a truck. Where can I get something like that? I've only got a couple of different four wheelers.

Well, fuck.

Read about the bonuses given by Trion...get home from work excited to play...log in...notice my fully upgraded assault rifle is gone.

First bug/issue I've had, outside of shitty voice communication, with this game.

I've had 4 guns dissapear now... one was a +5 mag autofragger (that in 1000+ ego rating I haven't found an equal yet alone better one of) with 4 rare mods on it...

I'm done with this game for now I'll try again in a month or two.

The amount of bugs and glitches combined with the increased lag in the last few days and the worthless chat make the game insufferable.

Slime

Banned
The bit about the show tie-in content disappearing sounds kind of lame, but I guess I understand it. Does anyone know when they're going to start putting that stuff out? Are we going to start seeing that stuff as early as next week?

I've seen people driving around in a couple of different cars and even a truck. Where can I get something like that? I've only got a couple of different four wheelers.

Pre-order bonuses. Pre-orders from anywhere got the Dodge Challenger, Steam pre-orders got a bunch of stuff, including the Nomad truck.

The bit about the show tie-in content disappearing sounds kind of lame, but I guess I understand it. Does anyone know when they're going to start putting that stuff out? Are we going to start seeing that stuff as early as next week?

The first line of 'episode' quests is already live. It starts with checking out a small arkfall with that Indiana Jones wannabe and his alien ladyfriend.

Had a nice night tonight, leveled up a bit and got a legendary shield.

Slime

Banned
The first line of 'episode' quests is already live. It starts with checking out a small arkfall with that Indiana Jones wannabe and his alien ladyfriend.

Had a nice night tonight, leveled up a bit and got a legendary shield.

Oh, neat.

Still need to pick this up. Just seems like the perfect podcast game to me.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Pre-order bonuses. Pre-orders from anywhere got the Dodge Challenger, Steam pre-orders got a bunch of stuff, including the Nomad truck.
Some vendors, a few of the hidden ones, have vehicle specials which sometimes offers the pre-order bonuses (one at a time) for sale for around 15k scrip.

It's actually his daughter. :p

ShogunX

Well, fuck.

Not good having stuff vanish but it's not worth hanging on to weapons unless you plan on using them in multiplayer. Once you fill the exp bar of the weapon is stops counting towards your gun skill level. You do get a random bonus added to the weapon once the bar fills though!

Setre

We could use some clan leaders folks.
I got EU/PC covered (See OP), and could create one for NA/PC if there's no one in the US to do so (I'd rather not, as I'm playing mostly on EU).

Still leaves 360 and PS3.

I'd be interested in joining the NA/PC guild but wouldn't want to be a clan leader. I've never done that before and I'd fuck it up somehow. Not suggesting you do it either since you've got EU/PC to deal with just putting it out there, lol.

So is this game actually good/decent?

Yes, at least to me it is. It's a lot of fun just driving around and killing shit with other people. While I was playing tonight I was doing a mission and there was another guy there doing the same one. We weren't grouped up but the game acted like we were and threw harder enemies at us, and I assume more then it usually would, and was super fun.

Agkel

Are the codes rewards per account or per character?

Also, holy shit balls the 360 version is ugly, is the PC version better, ie better framerate, no screen tearing, better textures etc? I may double dip because I really dont like how it looks on the 360.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Are the codes rewards per account or per character?

Also, holy shit balls the 360 version is ugly, is the PC version better, ie better framerate, no screen tearing, better textures etc? I may double dip because I really dont like how it looks on the 360.

While the PC version isn't spectacular looking by high-end standards it's consistent and leagues above the console version in performance, runs flawlessly at 1080p on my X51 Alienware.

Agkel

While the PC version isn't spectacular looking by high-end standards it's consistent and leagues above the console version in performance, runs flawlessly at 1080p on my X51 Alienware.

Thanks, I may buy it on PC too, if I'm still enjoying myself after a few weeks. Also, can I claim the rewards from the arkfall codes once? or can I claim them on every character i make?

Top Bottom