• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks, I may buy it on PC too, if I'm still enjoying myself after a few weeks. Also, can I claim the rewards from the arkfall codes once? or can I claim them on every character i make?

They're account-wide for all characters you create. The items you'll get from the Tier lockboxes will be random though of course.

So is this game actually good/decent?

It is.

I feel like the gaming press is afraid to say that they like it because by all accounts it should be crap. It's a cross promo with a tv show. It's a mmo shoehorned to work on consoles. It's not all that pretty. The voice work and writing are a turn off basically from the word go.

But then you play and you start thinking 'shit, this is kinda fun.' And then you play more and more and more and more and you realize you're completely hooked. The game has problems, sure, but for a mmo launch the list of broken things is actually pretty small. The bottom line for me is that when I get home from work it's the game out of everything in my backlog or whatever that i want to play. I'm loving Guacamelee for instance but that's turned into a few minutes before bed because if i'm awake enough to be at my desk I'm probably playing defiance.

I have no idea how long the ride lasts. I'm guessing there's no endgame. I know the pvp has balance issues. But still, for $60 I've already gotten 30 or 40 hours out of it and I'm not even 1/3 of the way through the map.

Well, fuck.

Read about the bonuses given by Trion...get home from work excited to play...log in...notice my fully upgraded assault rifle is gone.

First bug/issue I've had, outside of shitty voice communication, with this game.

Not that huge of a deal, but that gun was pretty bad ass. This sucks.

I was adding a mod slot and logged out and back into the game to get rid of the annoying combat music loop bug and came back to find that the weapon I was modding was gone and my favorite purple sub machine gun that I had equipped was also gone. If you log out of the game while salvaging an item (e.g. adding a mod slot), you will lose that item and possibly others in your inventory. This happened to me once and is apparently a known issue now.

So is this game actually good/decent?

Yes, it is. I think some of the negative reviews are from the expectation and perception that this is a MMORPG like WOW, Rift, Everquest etc. but with shoot bang. That is definitely not the case. There is loot and progression but it is lacking many of the other basic trappings that people have come to expect from a 'MMO'. It's essentially a massively multiplayer TPS in a persistent world with some basic RPG elements.

Unfortunately, I expect this trend of negative and average reviews to continue. Part of the problem is that when you're grading a game based on a numbered score and all of the chosen criteria are scored no higher than a 6 or a 7, how can the average or sum of those parts equal anything higher? We already make fun of reviews that level games with criticism, only to turn around and throw up a score of a 8/10, 9/10, etc. Sometimes technical aspects like bugs, missing features, graphics, etc. have to take a backseat to the overall experience.

The bottom line is that Defiance is a really fun game.

TotalBiscuit had a lot of negative things to say about the game earlier, in particular about the AI, but he recently posted his WTF for the game on his Youtube channel and it seems that his overall reception of the game was very positive. Though he typically doesn't stick with MMOs for very long anymore, he stated that he is currently enjoying it and having fun.

Dinosur

The TV show hasn't started yet, right?

2 hour pilot on Monday.

Is there any way to unequip gear? I was dumb and set up a couple loadouts because I thought you could quick switch between them. Now I can't sell or salvage anything that's in the second loadout.

2 hour pilot on Monday.

Is there any way to unequip gear? I was dumb and set up a couple loadouts because I thought you could quick switch between them. Now I can't sell or salvage anything that's in the second loadout.

I think you have to equip something else when you try and sell something in your loadout.

Dinosur

I think you have to equip something else when you try and sell something in your loadout.

So there will perpetually be a combination of guns/nades/shield that I can't sell because there always has to be something in the second loadout? Boo. Hopefully 'unequip' is something they'll patch in sometime.

I think it'll let you equip the same guns in Loadout 1 and 2, but it would not let me have the same grenade for some reason. Was trying to zero it out last night with your same logic.

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying this on the PC.

Apparently the console versions are a bit of a mess but this is fun. Now I just need more people to play it with.

CzarTim

I think it'll let you equip the same guns in Loadout 1 and 2, but it would not let me have the same grenade for some reason. Was trying to zero it out last night with your same logic.

Sometimes it bugs out, try equipping a different grenade then equipping the one you want.

The UI/inventory management stuff is by far the worst part of the game.

cripterion

Was having fun with this game this morning, I just logged back in to find out my character is completely gone! WTF???

I heard the game was buggy but this is seriously messed up.

Chep

Neo Member

I noticed there is a bug if you open up the loadout screen, then switch to a different loadout, it won't let you equip anything. If you exit the loadout screen then reopen it once you've switched to a different loadout, it should work.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
You can definitely have all of your loadouts identical across the board, but switching loadouts and trying to equip can be buggy where changes don't properly stick.

Zaph

Wasted a ton of keys on lvl4 lock boxes and got nothing good aside from a couple blues. Had a little browse through this thread and saw people suggest lvl3's instead.

Got this fucker from my first one...
y9isOTS.png

Wish I had checked this thread more often.

Ricker

Is there a way to have voice chat started once you are in the game,like in the co-op missions at least? and what does the Kinect do exactly...I did the Lost something co-op map,the one where you get to kill the Grenadier Pierce at the end and couldnt figure out how to talk or even text with my partner...by the way,one of the guys with us bailed out so it was just the 2 of us left,we died many times but managed to do it in the end...some weird difficulty spikes in this one at times...

Railer

Picked up this game today on 360 (only got a crappy laptop atm) and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've played quite a few of MMO's and my favorite part have always been to level up and get a new skill or get some new stats upgrades. I was a bit sceptical to this game when I learned that it didn't have a "level up" system like most other MMO's. But after playing it for a few hours i do appriciate the EGO system. Sure, I don't get a new skill when i "level up", but considering this is a third-person shooter I don't see how that would work. The whole system of not really leveling up but getting small upgrades to perks and the skill I choose is really interesting. My first thought is that this doesnt "level lock" you like most other MMO's. Sure, I might be a lower EGO level then a friend, but since it isn't that a massive difference compared to a level 10 character and a level 75 character in WoW for example, it means I'm not really locked out with playing with a friend that have put 10-20 more hours then me into the game. To me this means I can enjoy the benefits of doing quests and level up, but also still be able to play with people higher level then me without feeling useless.

Anyway, I'm at EGO level 99 at the moment. My GT is Toblekai so if any EU 360 GAFers wanna play sometime , add me.

If anyone wants to play (NA 360), my GT is the same as my GAF nick. :x

Also, a silly question... why does the text scroll so fast with what the NPCs are saying? Did I mess up a setting somewhere?

Effect

I need to start ignoring the side missions. I want to at least get to the point where the first episode of the show begins. Every time I see a new one pop up I want to do it.

hank_tree

I'm playing on 360 and I haven't gotten my Daredevil title and boosts etc. I've tried logging in and out and it's not appearing in the Claim Items part of the store .Anyone else have this issue?

I'm playing on 360 and I haven't gotten my Daredevil title and boosts etc. I've tried logging in and out and it's not appearing in the Claim Items part of the store .Anyone else have this issue?

I had that problem the other day on the PS3 but they fixed it. I'm sure they will do after today's server crash fix down time.

I'm not sure but I think clans are cross-regional.
If that's the case (I'll try it out whenever someone asks for an invite), then we'll stick to the "GAF"-clan.

It looks like any streaming plans for Hulu were pulled so I just bought an iTunes season pass to the TV show for $24.99. Hope the show is good. lol

Hazanko

Banned
I hope they sort out weapon xp. I've got a really good gun I like but I can't use it because it's maxed out. If I want to raise my weapon skill, I need another gun :(

ShogunX

I hope they sort out weapon xp. I've got a really good gun I like but I can't use it because it's maxed out. If I want to raise my weapon skill, I need another gun :(

Make a class in another slot with your favourite maxed out weapons and then use it for Arkfalls. From what I have read Arkfalls dont count towards weapon skill so you aren't losing out by using maxed out weapons for them.

Zukuu

Banned
Just bought the game on a whim with a friend. Barely a clue what to expect. Any pointers on what to do, what is important, how it works etc? What should I be aware off?

I want to play Shotguns, but I have no clue beyond that.

Just bought the game on a whim with a friend. Barely a clue what to expect. Any pointers on what to do, what is important, how it works etc? What should I be aware off?

I want to play Shotguns, but I have no clue beyond that.

Don't sell guns/grenades/shields you aren't going to use. Instead break them down for resources. And when you start buying lock boxes tier 3 is better than tier 4 though I'm sure that will get fixed in a patch soon.

Otherwise the game will pretty much show you the ropes.

Can I redo my character's face? Or do I have to start a new one?

Mine looks terrible.

Also, if I restart how long can I zoom to 100 which is my current character

Can I redo my character's face? Or do I have to start a new one?

Mine looks terrible.

Also, if I restart how long can I zoom to 100 which is my current character

there are no options to change your appearance other than your headgear and outfit. To change your characters hair and physical features you'll need to create another character.

Arkfalls are the fastest way to rank up your Ego.

wwm0nkey

there are no options to change your appearance other than your headgear and outfit. To change your characters hair and physical features you'll need to create another character.

Arkfalls are the fastest way to rank up your Ego.

Really? I just go around driving looking for all those random quests that pop it, gives me a lot of keys and XP if you find a nice path to follow.

Really? I just go around driving looking for all those random quests that pop it, gives me a lot of keys and XP if you find a nice path to follow.

Yeah the random events(road blocks and hellbug hives) are decent too but most arkfalls I've done are 6000 xp,3 keycodes, and 500 scrip. Plus, I usually get 2 pieces of loot one blue and one purple.

Mindlog

Lost my gun again :(

Joke is on you game! That SAW was almost done and I already had another ready. I go through SAWs so fast now that I buy and modify two at a time.

If you need Hulker Bombs you can farm Project Aegis. If you are in a hurry you can trick that Hulker into drowning himself. You lose the loot, but it is very amusing.

use your key codes for synergy mods at the lock boxes, plus when you gain rep with certain vendors you can use it as currency to purchase synergy mods through them.

... err, rep with certain vendors? How does that work?

It seems that there is a lot I don't know about this game...

... err, rep with certain vendors? How does that work?

It seems that there is a lot I don't know about this game...

when you reach an Ego rating of 250 you unlock contracts these are more or less specific pursuits you get from each vendor. Its usually kill so many of these or so many of that. some require playing the PvP multiplayer. once you reach a specific rep requirement and scrip requirement you may purchase weapons and synergy mods. These are afaik some of the best in the game presently. they have a daily contracts and a weekly contract.

if you're below 250 you wont see anything in their shop but maybe a mod right now. These vendors are at the fast travel "towns" and you can see them on your map.

VBI Industries
Top Notch Toolworks
Soleptor Enterprises
Eschelon
Paradise Territory

when you reach an Ego rating of 250 you unlock contracts these are more or less specific pursuits you get from each vendor. Its usually kill so many of these or so many of that. some require playing the PvP multiplayer. once you reach a specific rep requirement and scrip requirement you may purchase weapons and synergy mods. These are afaik some of the best in the game presently. they have a daily contracts and a weekly contract.

if you're below 250 you wont see anything in their shop but maybe a mod right now. These vendors are at the fast travel "towns" and you can see them on your map.

VBI Industries
Top Notch Toolworks
Soleptor Enterprises
Eschelon
Paradise Territory

OH!

Thanks, no wonder. I'm only level 227 right now. I just got the game 2 days ago and now I'm hooked. :(

Honestly the more I play it the less I like it.

the loot always sucks and the enemy encounters are very poorly balanced. When you get to San Fansisco Cloak is worthless because the Dark Matter can see you through it.

I'm Ego level 593 and still using weapons grenades and shields I found when I was in the mid 200's.

Being a community driven game and an MMO I knew coming in there where going to be problems for at least the first month of its life so maybe I just need to shelve it for awhile and come back to it after I've spent some time with Dead Island Riptide.

Trion has been really good about addressing the lag and connectivity issues and once those are where they want things they can start addressing balance and loot tables and such, but until then I think I'm done.

wow, way prefer game since turning on damage numbers to mimic borderlands

before, it seemed my weapons would often be highly random/ineffective (since health of enemies is scaled according to the situation eg nearby players) this way I can always see the impact of everything

Top Bottom