• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Really? I just go around driving looking for all those random quests that pop it, gives me a lot of keys and XP if you find a nice path to follow.

Yeah, I spent most of my time playing yesterday doing that and raised my EGO very quickly. Most of the time I don't even have to get out of my vehicle because I can just run everything over and move on. Arkfalls tend to take awhile and I seem to be getting more experience from how fast I can get through those random events.

Is there a vendor anywhere that sells clothing? I've seen the headgear at the area during the beginning of the game but was curious if there are any others. I'm close to buying some Bits and getting a couple of things from the store.

Jarate

Banned
wow, way prefer game since turning on damage numbers to mimic borderlands

before, it seemed my weapons would often be highly random/ineffective (since health of enemies is scaled according to the situation eg nearby players) this way I can always see the impact of everything

where is that option located

Jarate

Banned
Im gonna try to avoid using the saw since it seems like it's pretty broken

I wanna get more rocket launchers, but I only have the one I get for ordering the digital deluxe edition. Does anyone have one that they would like to trade to me? (EGO level 154)

Bollocks

So what is this game like? You're always online? Do you get grouped with others when you're flying solo? I guess the main game mode is story mode where you play against NPC's?
Sorry, never played a MMO before but this game looks interesting, need a new MP fix.
Would you recommend the game if I enjoyed MAG, DUST or Starhawk?

Jarate

Banned
So what is this game like? You're always online? Do you get grouped with others when you're flying solo? I guess the main game mode is story mode where you play against NPC's?
Sorry, never played a MMO before but this game looks interesting, need a new MP fix.
Would you recommend the game if I enjoyed MAG, DUST or Starhawk?

So imagine being placed in a large open world filled with NPC bad guys all over the place. There are hundreds of people also on this map doing something different from you

the game gives you quests for you to go around and do, and you'll find a few people to do the quest with you that are just kind of randomly there. You guys do the quest together, an d then part in your ways unless you choose to group up with them.

Honestly the more I play it the less I like it.

the loot always sucks and the enemy encounters are very poorly balanced. When you get to San Fansisco Cloak is worthless because the Dark Matter can see you through it.

I'm Ego level 593 and still using weapons grenades and shields I found when I was in the mid 200's.

Being a community driven game and an MMO I knew coming in there where going to be problems for at least the first month of its life so maybe I just need to shelve it for awhile and come back to it after I've spent some time with Dead Island Riptide.

Trion has been really good about addressing the lag and connectivity issues and once those are where they want things they can start addressing balance and loot tables and such, but until then I think I'm done.

If you don't like it you don't like it... But i think the ego level goes up to 2500 so the difference between mid 200s and mid 500s is really not all that much.

Nishastra

Banned
I picked this up last week, been enjoying it a lot. I just like playing it. Shooting things is fun. Curious what exactly is going to happen once the show starts :p

I'm almost level 900, wondering when I finally get another perk slot. I'm guessing 1000?

They need to get the Dam Defense challenge or whatever back in so I can finish the Marin pursuits...

Anyone got any input on the 360 audience vs. the PC audience? (i imagine the PS3 is almost a wasteland, judging by the forum activity)

Anyone got any input on the 360 audience vs. the PC audience? (i imagine the PS3 is almost a wasteland, judging by the forum activity)

I have no idea how it compares to the other platforms but the ps3 is full of players. The final boss of the major arkfalls have to have over 100 dudes at them. It's just dudes and guns as far as you can see.

Going off questing it's never more than a couple minutes between running into other players unless you're in a real remote location. The fast travel spots usually have atleast 20 people at the shops or afk-ing.

Are the PC and 360 servers more filled than that? I do plan on getting it in the PC eventually, i only went ps3 for the game share.

Lucifon

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52312404&postcount=2

Clan details are here.

Unfortunately, guilds are pretty useless at the moment (I can't even promote members so that they can invite others).

Cool thanks. Popped my name on it :) Just started on PC in the EU. Picked up the digital deluxe for £29 but must admit the bonuses probably aren't worth it. The equipment is all low level stuff which I didn't end up using but I suppose the XP/Scrip bonuses & +5 inventory space is useful.

Does anyone know if you can have mutliple Ego powers but different ones per loadout? E.g cloak on loadout 1 and decoy on loadout 2?

Slime

Banned
Finally got the game today, but unfortunately I'm not sure if/when I'll be able to play it.

Anyone have any idea how long it would take to do the Episode Missions from the start of the game? Apparently they disappear forever on Monday, but I don't know how long I'll be able to play between now and then. Are there certain prerequisites (getting to a certain area, being at a certain skill level, completing X number of objectives) I have to meet before starting them? Or could I theoretically start up the game, run to wherever you're assigned them, and complete the quest line first thing?

Personally I think it's kind of silly that they plan on shelving them so quickly. They should at least introduce an area or something where you can play earlier ones.

Tobor

Just had 3 griefers follow me around honking their horns constantly for a few minutes. That was interesting. Lol.

Maybe they were trying to tell me my fly was open.

Tobor

How do I find the contracts? I'm level 295 and haven't found one yet.

EDIT: never mind, figured it out. They really like to hide this stuff.

Zukuu

Banned
Reached Ego ~100 for now. When is a good opportunity to buy lvl 3 lock boxes? Should I wait or just go for it?

Which power is the best? I use Boost, but I don't really feel it that much. The CD is just huge, so I can barely make use of it to run into an opponent with my shot gun. Thinking about dem damage upgrade, but that isn't active long enough. Cloack could be very decent to save your ass. I find shields that have higher delay but 70%+ recharge rate WAY WAY WAY WAY better than shields that have low recharge rate but have like 10% recharge rate.

I hope you aren't forced to do the achievement thingies. I don't want to use specific weapons just to get a few EGO levels.

Can you detach mods btw?

I'm just not buying the "Tv show impacts the game which impacts the TV show" aspect.

Sounds cool, but in practice, how would it work?

I'm just not buying the "Tv show impacts the game which impacts the TV show" aspect.

Sounds cool, but in practice, how would it work?

At the moment it seems like the game is set before the events of the first episode. The ending of the current "episode missions" and the start of the series aren't connected in much of any way (beyond
Nolan/Irisa fleeing the bay area at the end of the missions, in the show they start already near St. Louis and presumably have lost the thing they stole somehow.)

Edit: looking at this timeline it looks like for the premiere at least they're treating the passage of time in real life the same as the passage of time in the game/tv world:

April 2
Von Bach's expedition arrives in the Bay Area

April 15
Nolan and Irisa arrive in the town of Defiance

April 2 was when the game launched and April 15 is when the show premieres.

bebop242

FYI The entire pilot episode was put up on Amazon streaming. Its called "Pilot Preview", but its the whole thing, just finished watching.

Reached Ego ~100 for now. When is a good opportunity to buy lvl 3 lock boxes? Should I wait or just go for it?

Which power is the best? I use Boost, but I don't really feel it that much. The CD is just huge, so I can barely make use of it to run into an opponent with my shot gun. Thinking about dem damage upgrade, but that isn't active long enough. Cloack could be very decent to save your ass. I find shields that have higher delay but 70%+ recharge rate WAY WAY WAY WAY better than shields that have low recharge rate but have like 10% recharge rate.

I hope you aren't forced to do the achievement thingies. I don't want to use specific weapons just to get a few EGO levels.

Can you detach mods btw?

I personally use the damage boost and it is nice, especially during Arkfalls. There are perks to decrease the cool down and to make it last longer which is nice.

Yes, you can save mods but lose the weapon.

bebop242

Why does it ask for my CC details for a free episode.

Dunno, We had ours on our account already.

In terms of the episode, its starts off pretty horrible but I found it to be more interesting as it went along. Its no Breaking Bad, I'll tell you that. The episode 1 missions in the game directly involve part of the episode, so that was pretty interesting to see.

DigitalOp

Banned
So despite this being an ad for the show, will this game be fully supported for its lifespan? or is it going to get chopped before its time? This might be my go to laptop game

So despite this being an ad for the show, will this game be fully supported for its lifespan? or is it going to get chopped before its time? This might be my go to laptop game

I'm pretty sure that's what Trion said. SyFy ordered 2 seasons, so unless it completely tanks, we'll get support for at least that long.

Effect

Knowing SyFy and the way they like to cancel actual good scifi shows the game might out last the show.

From the missions I'm really starting to like Nolan. Enjoyed him in the preview clip as well.

Still hoping they explain the alien situation well. Like why so many have adopted human mannerisms? Are they simply universal and the Votans and Humans just very much a like but look different? How is it that some Votans own land in America? Is the US government gone and this allows Votans to just start claiming areas? No ability to stop this and retake back land? Why are so many humans okay with sharing Earth and accepting of the Votans if Earth is devastated? Or at least not voicing any negativity feelings about this? Etc?

I have so many questions after just playing the game these past few days. I hope they're answered in the two seasons already ordered.

Just watched the first 20 minutes or so of the show - didn't have time to watch the whole episode now. But it was surprisingly good. Just like this game is surprisingly good.

I hope both continue to grow audiences with good word of mouth. I went from no interest in the game or show to completely hooked on the game and now excited for the show in the matter of about 10 days.

Knowing SyFy and the way they like to cancel actual good scifi shows the game might out last the show.

From the missions I'm really starting to like Nolan. Enjoyed him in the preview clip as well.

Still hoping they explain the aliens situation well. Like why so many have adopted human mannerisms? Are they simply universal and the Votans and Humans just very much alike but look different? How is it that some Votans own land in America? Is the US government gone these beings just start claiming areas? No ability to stop this and retake back land? Etc?

I have so many questions after just playing the game these past few days. I hope they're answered in the two seasons already ordered.

I would assume that we will get the backstory in bits in pieces because it's just as interesting (or possibly more interesting) than the story that's unfolding currently. Much like battlestar galactica spread out sections of how the first war between the cylons and humans started - ended - and what happened in between.'

I hope, atleast, because i'm with you. I would love a show about the actual time when they immigrated here.

Just watched the first 20 minutes or so of the show - didn't have time to watch the whole episode now. But it was surprisingly good. Just like this game is surprisingly good.

I hope both continue to grow audiences with good word of mouth. I went from no interest in the game or show to completely hooked on the game and now excited for the show in the matter of about 10 days.

It's out already on Syfy?

Zukuu

Banned
Intimidation and Gunslinger are the best perks (for shot gun at least), hands down.
Next, I'll go for Preparedness. Fully specced, you need to switch to your other weapons for 11 seconds and your other weapons is full again, making reloading almost a thing of the past, depending how fast you burn through your mag.

In general, most skills are a lackluster tho.

Currently only planing with 4/5 skills, since the 5th is unlocked with an ego level of 1.000.
0, 50, 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, & 4000.

Only interesting perks:
1. Intimidation (works with melee => shot, or fast shooting weapons after a crit)
+25/50/75% Dmg on stagger
2. Gunslinger
+4/8/12% Crit Multi when hip firing
3. Emergency Ammo (Ego 150, so until then probably Energy Leech)
Shield Break 5/10/15% Reload
4.Preparedness (Ego 250)
3/6/9% Reload per sec of 2nd Weapon
5. Celluar Armor (depending how useful Emergency Ammo is, will trade it in for that)
2/4/6% less damage

Rest I can choose from:
Insult to Injury (if I should find a good Nano weapon, Siphon looks right up my alley)
2/4/6% Nano trigger on crit
Blast Shield (I hate elite mutant grenadiers)
15/30/45% -Enemy's Blast Radius
Fortitude (how many hp do you even have to begin with? I didn't find any value, might be a bad talent)
+75/150/225 HP
Bloodlust
+1/2/3% recharge skill on every hit (5 sec cd)
Energy Leech
+1/2/3% Power recharge on kill

bebop242

It's up on amazon if you're in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0OWP02/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I watched it on my pc. Folks on reddit say if you watch it on an ios device or ps3/360 you just get the 11 minute preview - but everyone on PCs are getting the full show. No one knows if its a fuck up that it's up or what.

I was able to watch the whole thing on my PS3. However I did watch the 15 minute preview the other day so maybe it glitched to allow me to watch.

I would assume that we will get the backstory in bits in pieces because it's just as interesting (or possibly more interesting) than the story that's unfolding currently. Much like battlestar galactica spread out sections of how the first war between the cylons and humans started - ended - and what happened in between.'

I hope, atleast, because i'm with you. I would love a show about the actual time when they immigrated here.

That timeline I linked above and the other sections in the "World of 2046" part of the site explains a decent amount of the how and why, and has a bunch of live action pictures, so I'd guess some of this stuff will be shown on the TV show eventually.

I like how they went out of their way to explain why Dodge brand cars still exist in their universe:

After the Pale Wars, a huge cache of relatively well preserved and undamaged Dodge Chargers was discovered in terraformed caverns under the surface of what was once Detroit. The nitrogen rich subterranean environment preserved the vehicles largely as they were the day of their final assembly, which explains the remarkable condition of the frames and bodies.

Hawk269

I totally forgot about this game and been out of touch with information on it, so apologies if this has been asked.

For the PC version, how are the game controls when using a 360 controller? Steam shows it as partially controller compatible, but since it is also a 360/PS3 game, can you play it fully with a 360 pad on the PC?

Thanks!

Zukuu

Banned
I totally forgot about this game and been out of touch with information on it, so apologies if this has been asked.

For the PC version, how are the game controls when using a 360 controller? Steam shows it as partially controller compatible, but since it is also a 360/PS3 game, can you play it fully with a 360 pad on the PC?

Thanks!

As far as I can see, it has full controller support, including optional xbox overlay, aim assist and the like.

Grumbul

Thanks!

If that is the case then I'm not sure why Steam says "partial" but then again I'm not completely sure what Steam's definitions around controller support are.

Suffice to say it plays absolutely perfectly with a controller. Without getting into a controller/kb&m debate if you like liking third person shooters with a controller then Defiance plays absolutely fantastically with one. In fact the entire game's UI is based heavily around controller support so this probably won't come as a shock to most.

There is aim assist available in PvE so this makes it even more in line with the console versions in that sense. This does however become disabled in any sort of PvP encounter.

Once you get accustomed to using the controller you'll find that you actually use a hell of a lot of very quick button presses to get to various loadouts and in some ways this can also add to the fun. I know that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but for some reason I get a lot of enjoyment out of knowing my Rocker Launcher is on Loadout 3 and seeing how fast I can press Start, Y, Y, B to get back into the action as fluidly as possible.

In fact now I've actually typed that out it does in many ways summarise my entire feeling towards the game. If I were to critically look at every aspect of its core mechanics and overall presentation I am absolutely sure it would start to sound like I was unimpressed and felt it was lacking in many areas. The actual reality of the situation is that I haven't played a game this much or this consistently for some time. Something about the entire experience just clicks with me and the actual core shooting mechanics provide me with an immense sense of enjoyment.

Glad to hear some positive impressions of the show as well.

Top Bottom