• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Hawk269

If that is the case then I'm not sure why Steam says "partial" but then again I'm not completely sure what Steam's definitions around controller support are.

Suffice to say it plays absolutely perfectly with a controller. Without getting into a controller/kb&m debate if you like liking third person shooters with a controller then Defiance plays absolutely fantastically with one. In fact the entire game's UI is based heavily around controller support so this probably won't come as a shock to most.

There is aim assist available in PvE so this makes it even more in line with the console versions in that sense. This does however become disabled in any sort of PvP encounter.

Once you get accustomed to using the controller you'll find that you actually use a hell of a lot of very quick button presses to get to various loadouts and in some ways this can also add to the fun. I know that probably doesn't make a lot of sense but for some reason I get a lot of enjoyment out of knowing my Rocker Launcher is on Loadout 3 and seeing how fast I can press Start, Y, Y, B to get back into the action as fluidly as possible.

In fact now I've actually typed that out it does in many ways summarise my entire feeling towards the game. If I were to critically look at every aspect of its core mechanics and overall presentation I am absolutely sure it would start to sound like I was unimpressed and felt it was lacking in many areas. The actual reality of the situation is that I haven't played a game this much or this consistently for some time. Something about the entire experience just clicks with me and the actual core shooting mechanics provide me with an immense sense of enjoyment.

Glad to hear some positive impressions of the show as well.

Thank you for the detailed reply. So basically, it is full on controller supported, so while playing, I wont have to use the keyboard then?

I do play MMO's on my Rig which is hooked up to my 55" HDTV and I have a wireless Logitech keyboard, Razer Gaming mouse, so am use to using kb/m for MMO's, but for something like this, it would be great if you can play the entire game without touching the keyboard other than the launcher etc.

I want to play those "Episode Missions" before they disappear, but when are they going to remove them?

So I would like to know, is it today or tomorrow?

Jobbs

Banned
If I was having a bit of an MMO itch, and want something a little bit different (than the typical fantasy game, of which I've already decided RIFT is the best), would I be better off going with Defiance or The Secret World?

I have definite concerns abotu Defiance, but I have respect and admiration for Trion for their excellent job with Rift (not just the game, but how smoothly it has been run since its very launch) and that gets them the benefit of the doubt with anything new.

TSW looks pretty cool, on the other hand, and although Funcom doesn't have the same credibility with me as Trion, (my history with them goes back to Anarchy Online where I participated in the closed beta!) by all accounts it IS pretty good.

I want to play those "Episode Missions" before they disappear, but when are they going to remove them?

So I would like to know, is it today or tomorrow?

The little thing on the title screen says to play them before the 15th.

I would guess they stay up until the show airs on tv tomorrow night, but doing them today would be the safe way.

Hawk269

If I was having a bit of an MMO itch, and want something a little bit different (than the typical fantasy game, of which I've already decided RIFT is the best), would I be better off going with Defiance or The Secret World?

I have definite concerns abotu Defiance, but I have respect and admiration for Trion for their excellent job with Rift (not just the game, but how smoothly it has been run since its very launch) and that gets them the benefit of the doubt with anything new.

TSW looks pretty cool, on the other hand, and although Funcom doesn't have the same credibility with me as Trion, (my history with them goes back to Anarchy Online where I participated in the closed beta!) by all accounts it IS pretty good.

I don't have defiance yet, still thinking about it, but I have played a lot of Rift and a lot of Secret World and it seems that Defiance is a much different type of game. Rift and SW are more alike and Defiance based on all the gameplay videos I have seen is much more action oriented, where aiming is important and having a good trigger finger. It seems like a MMO lite as far as some stuff which is probably why it is not a subscription game as well.

I may dive into this game tomorrow....just doing some more reading. I know the reviews have not been overly kind, but a lot of stuff it is getting knocked for are things that can be taken care of with patches.

The little thing on the title screen says to play them before the 15th.

I would guess they stay up until the show airs on tv tomorrow night, but doing them today would be the safe way.
Thank you.

Is there a particular order to play them?

Or do I have to beat certain missions before to unlock them?

Slime

Banned
Started up the game for the first time last night, fully expecting to play just until I got to the Episode Missions...

Ended up doing that, then getting lost in a ton of side quests, taking part in a couple Arkfalls, and next thing I know it's morning and I've stayed up all night.

It's nice to have another game I can just turn on and have stupid amounts of fun with. It's rough in a lot of areas, but for some reason I just don't want to put it down.

Defiance is more of an FPS game merged with a standard MMO, in that you got third-person shooting action and vehicles with their own physics, but you're still runing around doing bog-standard quests and other MMO stuff. The MMO-bit of it all is pretty similar to what you'll find in RIFT.

Secret World on the otherhand is MMO all the way through, but with a super engaging story line, and a setting you don't often see in MMOs (Horror/paranatural/modern day/conspiracy). It's not for everyone though, and not as pick up and just play as Defiance.

Time to make that Defiance TV-series OT I guess.

I was able to watch the whole thing on my PS3. However I did watch the 15 minute preview the other day so maybe it glitched to allow me to watch.

I was able to watch the entire episode on the Amazon app on PS3. Never watched the preview. Amazon goofed!

The pilot was surprisingly good and I'm looking forward to seeing more. There is a lot of bad CG in places but that's pretty much expected for a show with this kind of budget, but everything else was pretty solid. I love all the different ways the game ties into the show and they even used a lot of the same music.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Defiance is more of an FPS game merged with a standard MMO, in that you got third-person shooting action and vehicles with their own physics, but you're still runing around doing bog-standard quests and other MMO stuff. The MMO-bit of it all is pretty similar to what you'll find in RIFT.

Secret World on the otherhand is MMO all the way through, but with a super engaging story line, and a setting you don't often see in MMOs (Horror/paranatural/modern day/conspiracy). It's not for everyone though, and not as pick up and just play as Defiance.

Time to make that Defiance TV-series OT I guess.
There is a Defiance TV OT already (which links to this thread too).

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539991

SJRB

Gold Member
The Secret World's combat system is just plain weird and tedious.

I agree. I got the game at launch, when it was both Pay 2 Play AND subscription-based. Gave it a fair shot but I didn't enjoy the game because I was constantly fighting the awkward control scheme.

Nishastra

Banned
The Secret World's combat system is just plain weird and tedious.
I got used to it, but yeah, combat is definitely the worst thing in TSW.

Defiance has fun combat, TSW has interesting non-combat stuff and a more interesting story/setting. Something between the two would probably be the best. Throw in APB's customization while you're at it and the greatest game is born!

Ricker

Why isnt the voice chat working on the 360....am I doing something wrong,I tried with 2 friends now,figured that when you invite them in game to a party,it should work automatically no?...or do we have to start a party outside the game...?

Why isnt the voice chat working on the 360....am I doing something wrong,I tried with 2 friends now,figured that when you invite them in game to a party,it should work automatically no?...or do we have to start a party outside the game...?

With the PC version, as soon as you are in a group, voice chat works automatically. I haven't had any issues with it so far but have read about issues on PS3 and Xbox 360. This is one of the things that is apparently being addressed in the next patch (console versions specifically).

Ricker

Why are there so few reviews for this game? im kinda on the fence atm

It's a huge MMO like game,it takes a little more time to review properly I guess...also,some are probably waiting for the TV show to air to talk about how the tie-in is like...

So i'm probably going to get this tomorrow after seeing some live streams and finally deciding it's my cup of tea.

Is this game going to be updated for a long time, with patches AND content? I understand the content is paid as it's not monthly, but the Borderlands reference in the title is making me want a 200 plus hr experience over all.

The only place where the game falls flat for me is the size of the landmass available. It's essentially only 1 area (as far as I can see) and they're asking for full retail price along with a season pass. I'd recommend it otherwise but it's such an alarming lack of content that the base game offers when price-wise it's comparing itself to GW2 which offered a massive world to explore and no dlc pass nonsense. I'd hold off until the game's dirt cheap despite really enjoying it because of that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The only place where the game falls flat for me is the size of the landmass available. It's essentially only 1 area (as far as I can see) and they're asking for full retail price along with a season pass. I'd recommend it otherwise but it's such an alarming lack of content that the base game offers when price-wise it's comparing itself to GW2 which offered a massive world to explore and no dlc pass nonsense. I'd hold off until the game's dirt cheap despite really enjoying it because of that.

I guess it depends though on what you're looking for. Guild Wars 2 is, as you rightly said, huge in its landmass and no DLC pass etc but for me it meant very little as the core combat got boring as hell very quickly. I've barely explored much of the world as I can't be bothered with it. Now if you're really into MMOs and like the traditional combat style etc then absolutely I could say get GW2 no problem over Defiance. However, I've had more fun in Defiance than I ever did in that game (or any other MMO) as I find this actually fun to play due to its shooter nature. Plus we should be getting new locations and plenty of other content for free, it's things like new species to play as etc that'll they be charging money for according to their executive producer in one their blog posts. They want to keep the player base together as much as possible so a lot of the big things I expect to see for free. Defiance is by no means perfect, not at all and many folk here have giving good reasons for things wrong with it. I guess it depends what you're looking for and for me it was primarly because it was a shooter mixed with MMO trappings.

I don't have any quotes but I recall reading from one of the producers that the paid DLC will include mostly cosmetics and things like the new playable races. PVE and PVP content like new areas, missions, quests, co-op maps, battleground maps, etc. will be made available to everyone.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have any quotes but I recall reading from one of the producers that the paid DLC will include mostly cosmetics and things like the new playable races. PVE and PVP content like new areas, missions, quests, co-op maps, battleground maps, etc. will be made available to everyone.

It was from here

What’s our DLC plan? – I’ve seen a lot of you mention this and this is material for an entire blog post because there is so much I want to talk about. However, let’s be short. There are at least 5 DLCs this year. They all have a free and paid component. We do not want to segregate our playerbase so we always want everybody be able to participate and play with friends. The free part is features and content, the paid part is essentially, say, access to a new playable species with a bundle of stuff with it. The upcoming TV tie-ins aren’t DLCs that cost either. It’s all yours.

Zaph

Yeah, I'm enjoying it but the game has some very serious value issues at the moment. It doesn't have all the trappings of an MMO (to be expected) but then it doesn't have the detail/variation/quality of a modern action game.

Jeff from Giant Bomb nailed it when he said it feels like a facade of a game, designed to make a good first impression, but you keep wondering where is the rest?

I really hope that a lot of the game is just gated until episodes air, otherwise, between the dlc season pass and microtransactions, it's rotten to the core and should have been made by Gameloft for iOS.

Mindlog

Anyone who said grinding isn't part of the game is a liar.
Arkfall II complete. I only need 1500 more kills and 30 more revives to complete the Arkfall thing.

Pre-patch my loadout hass settled into:
Shotguns for Deathmatch
Inoculators for Shadow War
Frontier SAW for everything else

*Tomorrow is patch day. Let's see what happens.
Why are there so few reviews for this game? im kinda on the fence atm
It's nice to have another game I can just turn on and have stupid amounts of fun with. It's rough in a lot of areas, but for some reason I just don't want to put it down.
That's a good honest review.
Jeff from Giant Bomb nailed it when he said it feels like a facade of a game, designed to make a good first impression, but you keep wondering where is the rest?
Jeff from Giant Bomb also said that they probably should have instanced it if they couldn't improve the performance he experienced.

Defiance would be almost worthless to me if it were instanced. I seriously doubt I would have bought the game.

So how tight is the relationship between the game and the show?

If someone in the game named, say, Beef Chief, accomplishes something great in the game, will that name get dropped in the next week's episode of the show?

"Last week, we heard reports of the great Beef Chief becoming a legend in the Bay Area."

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm enjoying it but the game has some very serious value issues at the moment. It doesn't have all the trappings of an MMO (to be expected) but then it doesn't have the detail/variation/quality of a modern action game.

I really hope that a lot of the game is just gated until episodes air, otherwise, between the dlc season pass and microtransactions, it's rotten to the core and should have been made by Gameloft for iOS.

I'm not sure about the whole 'value' issue here. I've had at least 10 - 15 hours of gameplay from Defiance so far, all of it which I've genuinely enjoyed. That's near enough 2 playthroughs of a modern shooter. For example I played through Army Of Two The Devils Cartel (which was surprisingly good!) and that game was around 5 - 6 hours max and I'd call that a typical modern shooter.

So how tight is the relationship between the game and the show?

If someone in the game named, say, Beef Chief, accomplishes something great in the game, will that name get dropped in the next week's episode of the show?

"Last week, we heard reports of the great Beef Chief becoming a legend in the Bay Area."

Season one is already filmed and complete, but they have hinted at players or in-game events being mentioned in the future.
Due to the format of a TV-series, any changes to it would ahve to take place quite some time after the events have occured in the MMO.
Vice-versa on the otherhand, you won't find that limitation, and as the show progresses there's no obstacle for the devs to implement new episode missions to reflect on what's been happening in the show.

Jobbs

Banned
The events from the show don't necessarily have to trail the game by a large margin.

Potentially, the quests/storylines coming up in the game are already known, and they film multiple outcomes for them in the TV show. Then it's just a matter of re-editing.

My concern would be -- What if, like so many TV shows, it gets canned after half a season or something. Networks can things quickly that aren't instant winners. What's it mean for the game if the show is gone?

If you don't like it you don't like it... But i think the ego level goes up to 2500 so the difference between mid 200s and mid 500s is really not all that much.

I'll say I like what it potentially could be, the game is just in need of some balancing and bug fixing.

Ego goes up to 5000 AFAIK. You get 5 perk slots by the time you hit an Ego rating of 500 unlocking the remaining 4 slots at ego ratings of 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The events from the show don't necessarily have to trail the game by a large margin.

Potentially, the quests/storylines coming up in the game are already known, and they film multiple outcomes for them in the TV show. Then it's just a matter of re-editing.

My concern would be -- What if, like so many TV shows, it gets canned after half a season or something. Networks can things quickly that aren't instant winners. What's it mean for the game if the show is gone?

Don't worry about that, they said that the show and game are intertwined to an extent (a bit but not hugely) but they are also very independent as well. If the game does well and the show completely dies the game can continue onwards and do its own thing with no worries. They said that they always knew it was a risk but not so much to have one kill the other. I don't think the writers of the TV show wanted them to rely on each other so closely either.

I remember reading a very interesting thing that Trion were messing with the idea of putting flying vehicles into the game during development but SyFy were like 'err no' Not within the budget scale i guess :p

Deepo

Been playing this since Friday on PC, EU server. I'm Ego level 386 now, and I'm having stupid amounts of fun. I agree with all the people saying that the game is a bit lacking, but I just can't seem to stop because the core combat is such fun.

I'm a bit of a sucker for achievements, so I just love how my leveling progress is tied into the achievement systems. Gotta fill dem lists!

The chat system is very bad, which I don't mind most of the time. But I was trying to contact Squiddybiscuit about membership in the GAF clan, but I'm not sure my message ever got through. I guess I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Oh, and the story missions really have some of the more atrocious writing I've ever come across in a game, at least for one that's selling itself on it's story and the integration with the TV show.

But in the end, I don't really care. I'm having such a ball with this game anyway. Very glad I got into it!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i like how this game is just like you can log in and just do whatever you like but at the same time its very much so enjoyable, its hard for me atleast to explain why but no matter what i do im enjoying it and want to play more. normally theres something you find tedious in doing in mmo's but so far for me its hitting all the right parts and not getting stale or boring

Been playing this since Friday on PC, EU server. I'm Ego level 386 now, and I'm having stupid amounts of fun. I agree with all the people saying that the game is a bit lacking, but I just can't seem to stop because the core combat is such fun.

I'm a bit of a sucker for achievements, so I just love how my leveling progress is tied into the achievement systems. Gotta fill dem lists!

The chat system is very bad, which I don't mind most of the time. But I was trying to contact Squiddybiscuit about membership in the GAF clan, but I'm not sure my message ever got through. I guess I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Oh, and the story missions really have some of the more atrocious writing I've ever come across in a game, at least for one that's selling itself on it's story and the integration with the TV show.

But in the end, I don't really care. I'm having such a ball with this game anyway. Very glad I got into it!

Oh, I got your friendship request, and tried to chat back - to no avail.

They really need to redo the chat functionality as well as how clans work.
Being able to invite offline players would be a god send.

deafmedal

Old Friends Old Swords being bugged really sucks. Completely stops your progress in the game.
Send a support ticket in game... had the same issue last night, tried for about an hour to get through it to no avail. Put in a support ticket in game, and went off to do some co-op with some buds, and about an hour later got a pop up saying "Old Friends..." was completed. * thumbs up*

Top Bottom