• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Lucifon

Considering the 360 version is their biggest seller, I don't think that version will be dropped, if any.

But then I imagine it'll depend on which version is generating the most revenue for them. I see the PC community sticking with the game alot longer and thus putting more funds into it.

BigDug13

I just bought the PC version for $33 from Greenman gaming. Sounds like a good deal, code is GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA for discount.

I couldn't get that code to work. It kept erroring out a few days ago. I still could have neglected the coupon to get it for $41, but I really wanted it for $33. Now today it's back to $59.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
not sure if the raptr Q&A was posted but they answered some good things. this one caught my attention

enhanced graphics for pc coming
One last thing, can you please enable custom / advanced graphics settings for the PC version? Like draw-distance, anti-aliasing etc.? I feel like my machine could squeeze a lot more out of it!

Oveur - Executive Producer - Yesterday at 5:57pm
It's on it's way.

also Replayable episode missions is coming

I am super disappointed that I missed out on the first episode missions, I really wanted to experience the full effect of the game to TV show tie in. It seems like a lot of others feel the same way. Have you thought about putting them back in?

Myll_Erik - Trion Worlds Community Manager
Yes we have - and chances are you will be able to replay them at some point.

a kind person at defiance forum has been making a compilation so props go there

http://forums.defiance.com/showthre...-questions-and-answers-from-the-Defiance-team.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I could not get logged in yesterday on the PC version. Is it me or the servers? As far as I know the servers are up, but there is huge thread in the official forum with the same error message.

Vlodril

I was in yesterday but i had troubles so i gave up. Everything lagged from getting loot to objectives being activated. Seems fine today.

Game is totally broken today for me. NPCs do not move from where they spawn, Arkfalls have nothing happening in them, everyone's walking around in bugged missions asking folks if they're having the same problem.

The game for me has grown really repetitive and dull really quickly.

The Nim Shondu end game battle is really shitty, at least the way I'm spec'd it is. I've been using cloak and once you get to San Francisco the ability is mostly worthless.

Watched the 2hr pilot last monday and it was decent. Of course I just recently started watching Battlestar Galactica and it shits all over Defiance. So far I'm interested enough to watch Defiance maybe when it goes to DVD.

Mindlog

Legendary Ark Hunter - Complete.

Switch back to Heavy Sawed-off and Cluster Shotguns.
Go 10-0 on Waterfront -_-
Need more PvP maps.

I'm just diving back in to chip away at pursuits and contracts. Faction reputation is a really long grind and because of that the vendor stuff seems really expensive. Some of the contract are pretty dumb as well. I'd rather kill 10 Hulkers than chase down 25 mini-gunners in Mount Tam.

The mission replay is nice, but I just want to fight the final boss again. I liked that encounter the most.

Nishastra

Banned
I'd rather kill 10 Hulkers than chase down 25 mini-gunners in Mount Tam.
That one is actually incredibly easy because of the one challenge where you can get about 7 of them in rapid succession.

I can't seem to get the Madera/Sausalito pilgrims to save my life. I found them earlier, but it was already essentially complete so I didn't actually get credit.

That one is actually incredibly easy because of the one challenge where you can get about 7 of them in rapid succession.

I can't seem to get the Madera/Sausalito pilgrims to save my life. I found them earlier, but it was already essentially complete so I didn't actually get credit.

Same here.
Those Sauselito pilgrims are damn hard to find.

mackattk

My EGO rating just jumped from like 150 to 1234 and gave me a shit ton of ego points I can use.. I went ahead and spent them, but damn.. what happened? Apparently its a widespread issue. This is PC btw.

Slime

Banned
So in which story mission do you finally get rid of that damn Dark Matter Monolith? I was hoping to do these Episode Pursuits before they disappear on Monday, but one of the intel things are in San Francisco. I've been taking the story missions pretty slow, so I'm not sure I'll even be able to get there before Monday.

I'm really not liking how they're handling that side of this. Good to hear that they're apparently changing their tune on it, but who knows when they'll actually implement that.

So in which story mission do you finally get rid of that damn Dark Matter Monolith? I was hoping to do these Episode Pursuits before they disappear on Monday, but one of the intel things are in San Francisco. I've been taking the story missions pretty slow, so I'm not sure I'll even be able to get there before Monday.

I'm really not liking how they're handling that side of this. Good to hear that they're apparently changing their tune on it, but who knows when they'll actually implement that.

I got there after meeting Torc and doing the main missions related to him.
Still haven't gotten the recorder yet, you sure it the recorder-related stuff dissapears on monday?

aristotle

My EGO rating just jumped from like 150 to 1234 and gave me a shit ton of ego points I can use.. I went ahead and spent them, but damn.. what happened? Apparently its a widespread issue. This is PC btw.

Same here. PC server just kicked me as well. We'll see what happened and if they fix it.

NA servers are down but EU is up.

Server Restart: US PC Server Restart 7:30pm PT
US Server Update - PC

Server Restart:
Date: April 20th, 2013
Time: 7:30pm PT
Duration: Restart

We are aware of an issue that has mass fast traveled and bumped players EGO Rating to the 1,200 range. We are looking into this issue and will provide updates shortly.

Server Downtime! - NA PC Only - April 20th at 7:30PM PT!
We are performing emergency maintenance on our US PC servers, Our team is working as fast as they can to bring back PC services. Due to this issue we expect 5 hours of unforeseen downtime.

Server Downtime:
Date: April 20th, 2013
Time: 7:30PM PT
Duration: 5 Hours

Yikes.

Grumbul

Playing on the EU server here so not sure if they have had the same issues but was on and off all day yesterday with no problems at all.

Must be incredibly frustrating for those of you having to deal with downtime so often.

Bollocks

You know, I'm at a point where I say f*** this game.
Best of all, I haven't even played a full hour yet.
I said earlier that I'm having deadzone problems with my controller(this being the only game where it occurs, so I really have to question the developers)

Now a week later and a stressful week at that I get back to the game to relax and nothing's changed/fixed. I still have deadzone problems but best off all I can't even f'****** join a game.
Either the connection times out or I get spawned halfway, where there's a giant bush covering the whole screen, no player model and partial hud and eventually it times out.
I tried for 30m straight no dice, in fact I only got spawned once for 30s before again I get hit with a timeout, just enough time to see that the deadzone problem still exists.

I have no idea what they are doing at Trion, it's been what? 1 month from release and they still can't fix this game.
The least I want 1 month from release is to connect to the world and run around but they can't even get that right.

After playing the game for a few days I honestly have to ask... where is the substance in this game?

The 3rd person shooter mechanics are decently done but other than that, everything seems just so... average. Every quest so far has been to go to the marker, press 1-4 buttons and then kill all the enemies in the immediate vicinity (some of which spawn right in front of you) or maybe survive a certain number of waves. One could argue that every shooter essentially boils down to this but Defiance literally is just this. Co-op missions are the same. Throw in score attack and time trials with a couple of PvP maps and voila, game done.

Arkfalls are basically the same as Rifts from their last game. It's cool the first couple of times but then it becomes repetitive quickly.

There's no sense of progression at all. The perks are minor increments to your 'power'. How much do I really care that my damage increasing perk lets me kill an enemy in 13 bullets instead of 15? Gear upgrades are just as bad. The longest Arkfall chain I played gave me a blue shield with 1273 capacity which was an 'upgrade' over my currently equipped green shield with 1270 capacity. Most of what I pick up is not an upgrade or a minor one at best. The biggest upgrades I've gotten have been from lockboxes, which are conveniently tied to their microtransaction system of course. Or you could grind endlessly for those key fragments and scraps to buy them. Pursuits are just busywork masquerading as achievements. Kill 5000 enemies with this gun type and then that gun type and then the other gun type. And drive 10 kilometres in your vehicle. Then do it backwards! Yeah...

Nothing you do in the game world matters. By the time you reach the 4th button you have to press for a quest, enemies are already respawning at the 1st button. You cannot change the state of the game world at all.

I'm sure there are better weapons later. I'm sure the perks feel like they matter when you have 8 of them equipped and fully upgraded. None of this will change the fact that you're just doing the same thing over and over. The story, at least so far, is not compelling and is built around the game instead of the other way around. As much as I like the idea of the TV show influencing events in the game and vice versa, it's not really practical. TV episodes are filmed months in advance. Game content takes months to produce and test. Any intersection in the stories will be completely scripted.

Ricker

Still some awful lag(slideshow)on the 360 doing those big Ark fights,it's better since the patch but I dont think they will be able to fix this on the consoles...oh well,still fun and almost everything else is lag free...

Gold_Loot

I picked this up on a whim the other day on PS3 and I'm glad I did. I'm actually enjoying this much more than I thought I would. The game just has a unique atmosphere and lore that grabed me pretty quick. Obviously not the best looking game out there, but the gameplay, sound, and art are quite nice IMO.

No network problems for me here. Put a good 30 hours into this over the past five days without a single boot. Is it the 360 version with the problems?

The game is really, really flawed, but somehow it's still enjoyable. I guess the lack of vertical upgrades helps, as I have no rush towards the "level cap" - I just collect new weapons, with different functionality rather than simply "improved" stats, and just do whatever I feel like.
The PVP is also pretty enjoyable, so that's "end-game" enough for me.

The story is pretty crud, I must say, though it shine through in some parts, and when you get to play around with special weapons in some of the missions it becomes super enjoyable (there's also a couple of interesting NPCs), but I think overall the show is meant to supply the lore side of the game.

I think that if you somewhat enjoy the show, and somewhat enjoy the game as well, you're in for an experience that is greater than the sum of its parts - it is pretty fun to play the game one day, discover something referred to in the show, and vice versa.

I wouldn't recommend the game to someone at full price, but if you can get it for 30-35 dollars, then you should definitely go for it - it will provide you with 20-30 hours of some what decent gunplay (more if you enjoy the PVP).
If you enjoy the show, you should definitely grab the game.

Is there anyway to make adjustments to the characters features such as hair colour etc during the game after the tutorial or will I have to make a new character ?

Can't change the look of your character, so if you want a different look your only option is to remake it.
I personally would just cover the head with a helmet.

I got a weird glitch where my shield would not be damaged by gun fire at all, only snipers could dent it, and it recharged instantly..i took advantage of it and bulldozed through to the ending dungeon..

only to discover that it disabled what ever the glitch was..

and I'd become so sloppy due to it, i had a heck of a time readjusting..I beat the final boss with the good old grenade spitting shotgun..

but I must say , it felt good to bulldoze through swarms of enemies, if they have another EGO power, a super shield would be great.

The game is really, really flawed, but somehow it's still enjoyable. I guess the lack of vertical upgrades helps, as I have no rush towards the "level cap" - I just collect new weapons, with different functionality rather than simply "improved" stats, and just do whatever I feel like.
The PVP is also pretty enjoyable, so that's "end-game" enough for me.

The story is pretty crud, I must say, though it shine through in some parts, and when you get to play around with special weapons in some of the missions it becomes super enjoyable (there's also a couple of interesting NPCs), but I think overall the show is meant to supply the lore side of the game.

I think that if you somewhat enjoy the show, and somewhat enjoy the game as well, you're in for an experience that is greater than the sum of its parts - it is pretty fun to play the game one day, discover something referred to in the show, and vice versa.

I wouldn't recommend the game to someone at full price, but if you can get it for 30-35 dollars, then you should definitely go for it - it will provide you with 20-30 hours of some what decent gunplay (more if you enjoy the PVP).
If you enjoy the show, you should definitely grab the game.

I actually like the story to an extent, and all the characters, even annoying cass. Finally beat the game, after the ending I'm wondering what they're going to do with the character we see, they may end up being the ultimate villain for the game..

Ok thanks :)
Unicron is epic! Therefore, so too is your avatar!:O

I got the Episode 1 pursuits finished, but still missing one of the Episode 2 pursuits (gotta win a shadow war). I'll leave it for now though, just to see whether or not they will allow you to complete the pursuit after the next episode has been aired.

My gut feeling is that they'll allow for it.

aristotle

I got the Episode 1 pursuits finished, but still missing one of the Episode 2 pursuits (gotta win a shadow war). I'll leave it for now though, just to see whether or not they will allow you to complete the pursuit after the next episode has been aired.

My gut feeling is that they'll allow for it.

I would've had my Ep.1 pursuits finished, but I started on them long before I'm even halfway through the campaign. I really wish they wouldn't have locked 1 part away in SF. :(

Oh well. Maybe they'll stay unlocked since they really aren't part of the TV show (like the Episode Missions) and just something simple to find.

I would've had my Ep.1 pursuits finished, but I started on them long before I'm even halfway through the campaign. I really wish they wouldn't have locked 1 part away in SF. :(

Oh well. Maybe they'll stay unlocked since they really aren't part of the TV show (like the Episode Missions) and just something simple to find.

If you're on EU/PC, I could teleport you past the barrier in SF.

aristotle

If you're on EU/PC, I could teleport you past the barrier in SF.

US PC :(

I still haven't seen anyone in the PC clan online when I am lol. I really hope Trion fixes the social aspect of this game. It makes no sense why you can't PM an individual nor can you add someone who isn't online at the time.

I still haven't seen anyone in the PC clan online when I am lol. I really hope Trion fixes the social aspect of this game. It makes no sense why you can't PM an individual nor can you add someone who isn't online at the time.

I was suggesting in clan chat the other day that they should make clans cross-regional, and allow players on NA/EU to jump to the other serve at any time to play with your clan mates.
But yeah, until then they really need to add offline invites and join requests.

Same here! Been checking for people on the list and can't seem to catch anyone

Slime

Banned
I guess I was wrong about those pursuit things disappearing today. It still seems like they're going away soon, though. Apparently all the stuff available right now will be gone by April 29, so I guess I have a week to get to SF.

Effect

The Joe Teacher boss is no fun, and super bullshit.

The fight was pretty BS. However I got to spend time with Rosa so that was a plus. :) However the one against
Nim Shondu
at the end of the quest/storyline is even worse I felt by a big degree. All the missions leading up to it are really fun though. I did this and the Joe fight solo though so that could be why they were so hard and seemingly cheap. However that last fight is so twitch based and difficult. I can see it being a significant brick wall for a lot people to get past. Took me several tries at several points in the fight to get pass that.

Top Bottom