• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

antitrop

I picked this up last night on Steam after watching famousmortimer stream it for a bit and all of TotalBiscuit's 40 minute "WTF Is...". It's downloading right now, I'm actually fairly excited to play it.

More than usual, I guess, which is strange.

Effect

I don't recommend playing it for hours on end though. For me at least the game has been fun in burst rather then long sessions. Mostly because it's all very repetitive. What kept me going was the story missions as I wanted to see how things progressed before the show aired. Now that it has and I've finished the first set of story missions all that is left are the side missions and arkfalls. All which are the same things over and over again without the benefit of a somewhat interesting story and narrative.

Mindlog

The pursuits are so boring, I can't bring myself to care. I wish they would add some new Episode Missions.
I'm ignoring most of them completely. The easier ones I'll multi-task and do 3-5 at the same time. The only reason I got Arkhunter done is because I average 200+ kills when I'm there the whole time.

Yesterday, I went to the end of Project Aegis to kill a few Hulkers and run up my killcount a bit. A Major Arkfall starts and no one is there except the Hellbugs including a Monarch. I accept that challenge and solo the whole thing. Two Monarchs are chasing me around before it ends.
I drive to the next crystal and kill its first two phases before the clown posse shows up. BMGs and cars killing skitterlings before they bite. It sucks to know that destroying a crystal is going to take twice as long with, 'help.'
I leave and happen upon a minor Arkfall. I solo that just for the challenge. No problem.
Loaded with loot I head for a vendor which takes me through the Major Arkfall still in progress. I stop to shoot stuff.
Finish first.
Second place player pouts and calls me a, 'Japanese Jackass.'
I chuckle and sigh.

Going back to just shooting at one thing then skipping Arkfalls entirely.

I love the race challenges, and have slowly but surely been getting gold medals for the pedal to metal-pursuit (I want that black dodger!).

But god damn it's starting to get hard (3 more pursuits to go), and I have a feeling the last race will be impossible.

Racing with a keyboard is also a pain.

Joe Molotov

I'm ignoring most of them completely. The easier ones I'll multi-task and do 3-5 at the same time. The only reason I got Arkhunter done is because I average 200+ kills when I'm there the whole time.

Yesterday, I went to the end of Project Aegis to kill a few Hulkers and run up my killcount a bit. A Major Arkfall starts and no one is there except the Hellbugs including a Monarch. I accept that challenge and solo the whole thing. Two Monarchs are chasing me around before it ends.
I drive to the next crystal and kill its first two phases before the clown posse shows up. BMGs and cars killing skitterlings before they bite. It sucks to know that destroying a crystal is going to take twice as long with, 'help.'
I leave and happen upon a minor Arkfall. I solo that just for the challenge. No problem.
Loaded with loot I head for a vendor which takes me through the Major Arkfall still in progress. I stop to shoot stuff.
Finish first.
Second place player pouts and calls me a, 'Japanese Jackass.'
I chuckle and sigh.

Going back to just shooting at one thing then skipping Arkfalls entirely.

Haha, yeah I hate how you still get people killing the hell out of skitterlings during Arkfalls. I had this joker lobbbing grenades all around the arkfall, killing any skitterling that got close. It's one thing when it was the first weekend and you were still in the newb zone, but I'm almost to SF and you still get people pulling that. Nevermind the fact that EGO will repeat what you need to do 15000 times during every Arkfall. THERE'S SOME ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY OVER THERE! Thank you, EGO. -_-

Nishastra

Banned
I hadn't been having much problems with idiots at arkfalls until yesterday, where every single one had someone with a cluster bomb of some kind and/or a guy with a preorder car driving around the crystal continually.

I dealt with it by moving to a different section and getting that one done myself while everyone else was beating their heads against another one. People always go for whichever one shows up on-screen (the nearest), so ones farther from the road tend to be empty early on. I do tend to be ranked first on arkfalls anyway, but once I started doing that I had like 2-3x the damage of the next person, and got the whole thing done a lot quicker :p

I see a few NA PC people on. I've added them as friends, if one of them could invite me to the guild it would be awesome. :)

I'm Mikael Corvinus in game.

EDIT: Is there no way to message a person directly?

I see a few NA PC people on. I've added them as friends, if one of them could invite me to the guild it would be awesome. :)

I'm Mikael Corvinus in game.

EDIT: Is there no way to message a person directly?

I'm going to log on right now onto the NA PC server, so if anyone wants in on the NA server I'll invite you and turn you into officers so that you too can invite other people.

antitrop

Anyone know of a hack to increase the UI size for those using 2560x1440 monitors?

Or even those of us on 1920x1080 monitors with GPUs good enough to not want to see horrible aliasing no matter how much post-processing AA they inject into it.

i.e. me.

EDIT: My in-game name on NA is the same as my forum name, antitrop.

Get online people, can't invite you unless you're online because the Clan functionality is a bit sucky atm -_-
Robotkittyzilla is in.
antitrop invited.

Effect

Going to be logging on to the PC side. If someone could invite me that would be great. Daorn Sin is my character's name.

I should have paid attention earlier, but Pumped Up is pretty strong perk.

Yeah, I haven't really been paying attention to perk synergies up until now.
Managed to upgrade all four EGO powers to the max, and am working on random perks related to each one atm, so that I can create different builds around different EGO powers/perks.

For anyone getting invites, you may have to log out and log back in for the clan functionality to show up. ._.

Going to be logging on to the PC side. If someone could invite me that would be great. Daorn Sin is my character's name.

I sent an invite but not sure if it worked because every time I check your name it keeps showing you as able to be invited.

Gold_Loot

I picked this up last night on Steam after watching famousmortimer stream it for a bit and all of TotalBiscuit's 40 minute "WTF Is...". It's downloading right now, I'm actually fairly excited to play it.

My personal advice would be is to stick with it. I was really underwhelmed when I first started playing, but the more chances I gave it, the more it has grown on me.

Gold_Loot

I'm actually not underwhelmed at all. And I am not an MMO fan.

This is a good game.

All the better good sir. I'm just taking my time and absorbing the lore and meeting other players. Between this and the show, I'm actually enjoying the story which is rather odd for an MMO. The music is rather good as well.

I'm hoping the game will blossom over time and grow into something special. Don't drop the ball Trion!

Effect

Thanks for trying with the invites but still nothing showed. Which is weird because I did get invited into a clan when I first started playing (long since left it) and the invite went fine then.

I bet the show will bomb after 1 season but the game will live on.

A second season was ordered before the show aired.

I'm back on if anyone can swing me an invite. blacksunshine007, player Mikael Corvinus. I had to hop off for some family stuff. I'll be on for at least an hour or two.

Moofers

I just caught the first episode of the show and while it was a tad corny, I really really enjoyed it. The commercial for the game "Welcome to the new age!" really worked its magic on me and now I'm considering getting this game as well. I love the idea of massive world event battles and the races from the show were interesting to me. I think it'd be really cool to have a game that I could really get into for the long haul that has a TV show to keep the hype going. If they do crossover events and stuff and keep me hooked with story missions, I can totally see this becoming "my jam".

On the other hand I just got Bioshock and Dragon's Dogma today, so do I really need Defiance? Maybe not, but I'm seriously considering it. Come at me, bros. Sell me this shit.

BTW, I liked Rift for the month or so I played it. I only stopped because there were other games to play and I didn't wanna pay the sub anymore. I think Trion does good work.

antitrop

I think because it's supposed to be bad given the way it's interwoven with a TV show based on how most releases like this are. Someone else said it here before, it's almost like people are afraid to admit it's good.

Further cementing my theory that professional games reviewers in general don't tell people what they think, but rather what they think people want to hear. And then there's Jim Sterling.

Dead

well not really...yet
what are the pros/cons of the Ps3 and Xbox versions?

Thinking about getting this, but getting it on xbox would mean resubbing to live. Though I think Ive read more negative impressions on the Xbox version...?

Hawk269

Or even those of us on 1920x1080 monitors with GPUs good enough to not want to see horrible aliasing no matter how much post-processing AA they inject into it.

i.e. me.

EDIT: My in-game name on NA is the same as my forum name, antitrop.

Agree. I was doing some down sampling to improve the image quality since they really don't offer much pc settings at the moment, but when you down sample, the UI is just too small. Unlike some games, the games UI does not scale properly or maintain. The game should have an option to do this. I am getting my new monitor today...would love a fix for this soon.

codhand

i have the exact same story.

i will be playing after 5 est, on weekdays

Mindlog

Thinking about getting this, but getting it on xbox would mean resubbing to live. Though I think Ive read more negative impressions on the Xbox version...?
The Playstation version is several builds behind the others. Some problem with Sony and the patching system.

I play on PS3 and I love it. But having been on the forums since day one, it seems like the Xbox version suffers from longer server downtime and had a REALLY rough start getting the servers running. (My guess to this is having to communicate with Live servers causes issues). Things seem to be smoothing out now, however, and it has received the newest patches.

On PS3, Sony is dragging it's feet with the patch approval. So the PS3 version is still essentially version 1.0.0 and has the launch bugs intact. However, as a blessing in disguise, this means that we PS3 players can still farm lockbox keycodes from emergency missions, something that was removed in the first patch.

Either option is a good choice, because the game is damned fun. A lot of people have their issues with it, mostly with bugs causing problems. I've been lucky in that I've run into very few bugs in my playtime with the game.

Top Bottom