• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

welp after 59 hours I finally got a gold item, a detonator, and the stats are not all that great :(

I really have poor luck at these random loot games.

invite please > Quote to see.

Coldsnap

How am I suppose to get this audio log for Episode 1 quest in San Francisco when this giant robot on the bridge keeps killing me when I try to pass?

Argh, it looks like they've nerfed the LMG in arkfalls.
Second arkfall I've done with my SAW, shows up as 0 DMG (and i've been shooting at both Raider crystals, raiders, scrappers, scrapper crystals, scrapper bosses)

I just realized that the scene with the half-naked mother Castathian hugging her teenage son was kinda weird.

Bet the actor playing the kid was fighting a boner during the filming of that scene :p

Why the hell does this have a 64 on Metacritic?

It's what it deserves. I think reviewers docked points for it's rocky launch but even if you disregard the lack of polish in the game, the fact is that the actual content is mostly phoned in. Going to a marker and pressing buttons is about 90% of all the quests. It gets boring very quickly.

Eh, it's a glitch, happens with all sorts of weapons, and co-op maps as well, nothing like having 40+ kills and zero points :p

Phew, then I'll keep on using it.

Btw, beware the scrapper arkfalsl, they apperantly reset your progress on one of the pursuits (kill enemies within an arkfall).

Dead

well not really...yet
Hmmm, enjoying it so far

But...did 1 arkfall...and I guess its too much to handle? Every single player reverts to the same default character model...lol

Slime

Banned
Sooo, I logged in tonight to get caught up on my Main Missions so I could get to SF, but the entire world was a ghost town. There was an Arkfall raining down right on top of me but nothing was in the area at all, enemies weren't spawning anywhere, and my vehicle wouldn't even show up. So I decided to hoof it on over to the Golden Gate Bridge to see if the giant mech was there, and sure enough, it wasn't!

I know it's not really gaming the system since people were offering to transport people there and stuff, but it still felt good. Headed for the Overpass, signed out and back in, and can now the world is working again but I can fast travel down there any time I want. Good times.

deafmedal

Phew, then I'll keep on using it.

Btw, beware the scrapper arkfalsl, they apperantly reset your progress on one of the pursuits (kill enemies within an arkfall).
Horrible bug. Not sure how many kills I had before I learned of this, but I know it had to be more than what it was after I heard that. So for now I am 'tagging' most arkfalls, when I've finished the ten major scrapper arks I ain't touching them again until I hit the enemies killed challenge.

Anyone else notice the change as far as credited kills/collections for the dailies? Before you would get credit for kills if someone in your area killed the required enemy type, and now YOU have to do damage to the enemy to get credit. Should have been that way since the start!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So how are people's impressions after a few weeks? I haven't picked this up but I played a few hours of the open beta (at least when the 360 servers allowed me to log in) and had some fun with it.

Sooo, I logged in tonight to get caught up on my Main Missions so I could get to SF, but the entire world was a ghost town. There was an Arkfall raining down right on top of me but nothing was in the area at all, enemies weren't spawning anywhere, and my vehicle wouldn't even show up. So I decided to hoof it on over to the Golden Gate Bridge to see if the giant mech was there, and sure enough, it wasn't!

I know it's not really gaming the system since people were offering to transport people there and stuff, but it still felt good. Headed for the Overpass, signed out and back in, and can now the world is working again but I can fast travel down there any time I want. Good times.

Just for fun, could you travel down the bridge towards the mech - from San Francisco?

dubq

There is some. It's not Far Cry 3 bad, but you will see it pop up from time to time.

Comparable to DCUO? That was pretty minimal too. It's the only thing holding me back is finding out the amount.. I wish there was a demo. But as long as it's not FC3 bad I'm cool with it.

codhand

2013-04-25_0000310fbk.jpg

so damn fun.

Arkfalls are great, such a shame that the Scrapper ones are bugged up as they are one of the best ones.
Love the mama bug one as well.

Will be interesting to see the other faction variants of the Arkfalls, and if they'll try zone-wide invasions of sorts like they did with Rift.

Gold_Loot

Comparable to DCUO? That was pretty minimal too. It's the only thing holding me back is finding out the amount.. I wish there was a demo. But as long as it's not FC3 bad I'm cool with it.
Never played that one so I can't help you there . But as I mentioned before its lighter than games like FC3 , the Assassins Creed games , or the Dead Island games .

I guess you can compare it to the second half of the first Uncharted. It's there, but not constant.

dubq

Never played that one so I can't help you there . But as I mentioned before its lighter than games like FC3 , the Assassins Creed games , or the Dead Island games .

I guess you can compare it to the second half of the first Uncharted. It's there, but not constant.

Works for me! Thanks for the info!

Scirrocco

Delete if old, but i haven't seen anyone post this yet.

Apparently, all the damage calculations, recoil, speed, etc are done client side and sent to the server without much of an integrity check, making the game fairly easy to hack. It sounds like the cyber security version of leaving the front door unlocked.

http://forums.defiance.com/showthre...-vehicle-speed-etc.-Way-to-go-Trion-way-to-go

There's a few videos floating around of people basically one-shotting the arkfall bosses. Anyone seen this in game?

A dev posted on reddit affirming the company takes cheating very seriously and they're looking into ways to stop it, but if they've done what it sounds like they've done and the problem is in the basic game design, i'm not sure what they can do.

Just to jump in... We take Hacking and Cheating very seriously and our team is working to suspend and ban players who are verified offenders. We will continue to take action against players across the board. Our anti-cheat measures are both client side and server side and we are beefing up on all aspects around this.

We appreciate all the feedback and reports that the community has been sending our way around Hackers / Cheater. In most cases these players are truly cheating. In other cases, users were simply getting out played. To report cheaters please contact our Customer Support team at this link: https://support.trionworlds.com with as much proof as possible.

I want to thank @postatyourownrisk for this post as it is very helpful. This makes tracking down users and the methods they are using to cheat the game easier. Keep in mind we are reading your posts here, so keep them coming.

Thanks Sledgehammer70

I've yet to see a single cheater in the game.
Well, some of these time trials are pretty ridiculous (one guy was a whole minute ahead of the second place person) but they're only 5-10 seconds faster than me so I'm presuming they're just driving flawlessly.

Hawk269

I am playing the PC version if anyone wants to add me. Character name is Hawk269 same as it is here. Playing on the US Server.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I understand what I've heard and read, leveling and gear is pretty pointless in this game? I don't say that to troll...I'm legitimately interested in what the game potentially offers, but if it's an MMO that doesn't give any sort of damage progression, I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it.

RoH

So if I understand what I've heard and read, leveling and gear is pretty pointless in this game? I don't say that to troll...I'm legitimately interested in what the game potentially offers, but if it's an MMO that doesn't give any sort of damage progression, I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it.

Leveling seems pointless, but you receive inventory slots, mod slots and power slots for leveling. I'm told the level cap is somthing like 5k

Every weapon contributes XP to it's own over all weapon class, each individual weapon also has an it's own XP gauge which increases with use. You can not max your weapon skills by only using one weapon because once that weapons level maxes-out it no longer contributes XP to the weapons class it belongs to. Leveling a weapon to max grants it a bonus, as you gain XP in the weapons class you also unlock latent perks for that weapon class.

Nishastra

Banned
The base stats of weapons remain the same regardless of level and rarity.

What higher level gets you as far as weapons is more bonuses. I'm level 1600-something and these days most weapons come fully slotted with 2-3 bonuses. Even white weapons have bonuses sometimes for me now.

The early progression is all about perks, but once you're past the point of getting more perk slots frequently, you start getting better weapons. I'm curious how much stuff a level 5000 weapon would have on it.

Top Bottom