• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

smr00

Banned
If you setup your Ark hunter on http://www.defiance.com/en/my-ego

Then copy and paste the following into your address bar:

javascript:($.getScript('http://fooey.net/stuff/arkfall.js'))

You'll get all codes and unlocks. Taken from:

http://www.neckbeard.ca/r/Defiance/comments/1b2lju/all_120_arkfall_codes_plus_two_extra/

Worked a treat.
Wish i found out this before i manually copy/pasted all the codes yesterday.

Granted it only took me like 5 minutes to put all the codes in.

B00TE

Couldn't even wait till the end of the week, bought this on xbox yesterday. Played as much as I could between class and server downtime and such. Enjoyed every minute. Visuals take a hit on consoles, but it's not so bad that it's taking away from anything in a big way to me.

Very much enjoying the game so far, though part of me is concerned with how the console base will take the constant downtime and server issues though. Feels completely normal to me, but I'm usually around for a lot of MMO launches PC side.

That being said, it seems like there's a lot of junk to see and do in game. A friend and I just spent close to three hours just cruising around in a car he bought from a special running from the very first vendor. Drove around helping people shoot things and took on our first arkfalls, which are really fun.

Going to try and hop back on here again in a little while.

VERY helpful MODDING INFO from someone on the official forums..this whole time i wondered why SOME weapons modded and SOME didn't.

Today 06:20 AM #1
kirix

Mod weapon - a simple guide

so took me a while to figure out why i could upgrade some weapons and add mod slots and not be able to on others.

1. >>>IMPORTANT<<< you cant add mod slots to a weapon you have equiped includeing loadout slots. remove it from all lodout slots and boom u can start adding mods.

2. you use ark salvage currency to add mods/remove/replace etc. you can get this from breaking down white / green / blue / purple items (the colour also gives more salvage).

3. each mod slot / remove costs salvage and differs on the weapon ego lvl and type.

4. when adding a mod to your weapon make sure you click the "start process" buton for it to apply the mod, (i didnt notice this and kept wondering why my mods was not added).

5. you can buy basic mods from vendors in most fast travel areas or do hot shots for green mods.

6. i dont think you are able to change the weapons elemental type.

7. if u retrive mods from a weapon you lose the weapon.

8. adding a mod slot takes up to 10 mins to complete and ques the weapon. if u look at the timer in the salvage matrix you will see greyed out tabs. these unlock as you increase ego = more que for mods.

9. if all que slots are used for mod slots etc you cant add mods to a weapon untill a spot is free

Edit-

-SneakyStephan-
-You can't remove one mod from a weapon and keep the others, you remove (and lose) them ALL.

Mindlog

Knew most of that except "do hot shots for green mods."
I haven't even tried those side-missions yet.
Yeah, it's a great game for that. Better than DCUO, even.
With a chatpad it's almost perfect.
NoQsTzk.jpg

Paid for itself when typing in 'Don't kill the skitterlings' actually worked and we starting doing real damage to the crystal.
Has anyone who ordered from amazon received their preorder bonus yet?
I received it *in an e-mail* before the game even launched. After entering the code it should be in the Defiance store after you can access it in-game.

is there an element of exploration in the game in the sense of say seeing a diner, looking around and finding a diary/audio log, or items or anything or is it a pure combat game?

also, how is the environmental variety? entire game is set in one region as I understand it

VERY helpful MODDING INFO from someone on the official forums..this whole time i wondered why SOME weapons modded and SOME didn't.

This leaves out the most important information:

-You can't remove one mod from a weapon and keep the others, you remove (and lose) them ALL.

So do not put rare mods on a gun you don't want to lose when you already have some crappy ones on them, you will not be able to remove them individually! (this is a real oversight from the devs)

I currently have 4 green quality mods in my orange assault rifle (which is hilariously strong) and orange shotgun despite having a few good blue and purple ones.

Has anyone figured out how the chat works btw? It doesn't seem to work at all most of the time and I can't get the chat to stay on my screen.
Every single mmo since 2000 has had a functioning chat system idk why trion manages to fail this.

Knew most of that except "do hot shots for green mods."
I haven't even tried those side-missions yet.

With a chatpad it's almost perfect.
NoQsTzk.jpg

Paid for itself when typing in 'Don't kill the skitterlings' actually worked and we starting doing real damage to the crystal.

I received it before the game even launched. After entering the code it should be in the Defiance store after you can access it in-game.

I pretty much abandoned modding because i couldn't understand how it worked, and Yah, the people killing the skitterlings or deciding to throw grenades or ram the crystal with their trucks obscuring the view are a gift that keeps on giving >__<

Got disconnected during a server timeout close to defeating a Hellbug Mature Monarch with a group of about 50 players..lagged a bit due to the trucks driving in circles ramming hellbugs, but it was all good, managed to log back in and run back to the spot JUST as they killed the Monarch..still managed to place 4th..felt good.

StMeph

I really dislike the driving in this game, and wish that the natural run speed was a bit faster as well. The menu is also a pain to navigate around, and is definitely not well-optimized for PC.

That's about the extent of my complaints. It is irritating, but doesn't get in the way of the other stuff in the game.

I really dislike the driving in this game, and wish that the natural run speed was a bit faster as well. The menu is also a pain to navigate around, and is definitely not well-optimized for PC.

That's about the extent of my complaints. It is irritating, but doesn't get in the way of the other stuff in the game.

what main skill do you have? The run speed one looked fun with its "melee effects shields" bonus, I was thinking of starting with that just at level 1 and then picking perks to unlock a second skill option (overcharge or decoy)

WOW between the lag and the crashes the 360 servers have had really rough launch so far.

I was expecting it to be rough though and I'm still having fun with the game I'm almost to the main mission point when the beta prevented me from going further.

I hope that's a good sign though. Maybe it means there's more 360 players then they anticipated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L4ads71KBc

Sold me on the CE, looks like a better deal than the $100 Borderlands 2 CE which really disappointed me when it arrived.

For those wanting the digital, remember greenman 20% discount code works to pay $48.

I ended up buying the CE PC edition from amazon, which comes with $20 voucher for the amazon video of the series - so I may end up actually watching the show too (dont have scifi channel at home, just the basic/netflix/amazon prime combo).

LuchaShaq

Banned
How are the microtransactions?

If they are only cosmetic great but I can't imagine willingly paying 60$ and then micro for guns etc.

If they are only cosmetic great but I can't imagine willingly paying 60$ and then micro for guns etc.

They're mostly impatient people micro-transactions, currency to buy in game weapons, buffs on stats, xp, and some some random usually rare weapons, most of it can be bought in game, but there's always an option to spend game currency for it.

There's ones for 24 hour exp boosters, extra inventory slots, lock boxes containing random weapons, and more cosmetic things like different colored vehicles and cosmetic outfits/hats.

You can earn more inventory slots by levelling up in the game, and buy lock boxes with other in game currency.

Tobor

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but all of the micro transactions are optional, right? I didn't notice anything going through the store.

EDIT: I might spend some more money if the content is compelling.

Uiki

Sure it has an inconsistent framerate, fog to hide level loading, bad enemy modeling and not enough "how to" tutorials.

however: most fun I have had with 4 other friends on Xbox live since gears 3 coop. shooting and looting never gets old, tons of missions and bullet sponge "über enemy" moments but most are fun so far, and tons of challenge pseudo-cheevos to do

again: I don't play MMO's but I enjoy what this game is and will ride it out for a few months before the gen dies

Oh, i enjoy all of that too.

But the frame rate is killing me.

Aesthet1c

I wish there was some kind of trial or demo for this game. It seems awesome, but I worry I will get burned out after a few hours and not really enjoy it.

Maybe I'll just try to watch some streams so I can get a better idea of what the moment to moment play is like.

randomwab

Played for a while on 360 and really enjoying it, but the server died and I haven't been able to get back in yet. Hope they get the server issues sorted soon. I imagine the weekend is going to be brutal.

FloatOn

PC defiance friends. I'm in need of some help. I finally have some time to play and every time I get past the opening cinematic the game crashes. What gives?

I noticed there was an update, did it screw things up?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Here's what I meant to link to earlier, the Defiance community blog They post updates of whats happening with the game and what they are currently doing.

The latest one is:

http://community.defiance.com/en/20...-little-bit-of-humble-little-bit-of-cautious/

Day 2 in the life of Defiance, little bit of humble, little bit of cautious

Posted on: 04.04.2013

I thought, why stop with more insight what’s happening with Defiance, inside my head and with the team. Actually, we should probably skip my head and focus on Defiance and the team.

It’s the second day in the life of Defiance, you saw our focal points yesterday and to elaborate on what happens here. We try to be in a position to respond to change and react to feedback. That means we frequently re-prioritize and re-evaluate, we course-correct. Some of you might know this as being “agile”. I prefer “wtfisgoingonnowletsfixdatshiinao”. Sorry, stay away from my brain. Got it.

The reason this is about being a little bit humble and little bit cautious, is that you might see us talk about very serious issues in a way which might make it look like we don’t take it seriously. This is not the case. We do believe that if you can’t make fun of yourself, take yourself too seriously and everything is doomed, you will have no joy or passion for what you do anymore. And that will get reflected in the experience you receive. We hope you understands.

With that being said, you will now see our top four issues today, as opposed to yesterday. Some may be have addressed to a large extent, others have gone down in priority because of others have come up are more critical. That does not mean the issues from yesterday are off the list, they are still there, but I hope you get better insight into why we can – and do – move.

Game Server Crashes – Let’s be sure to not confuse these with us taking down the server to apply updates. This is totally different and started getting much worse, especially for XBOX in the last 24 hours. You will experience this as disconnects but just tonight, it has ended with full server crashes. Twice. No amount of whiskey, dances of tango or foxtrot can fully convey our (calm professinal) rage and frustration over this.

FKN LAAAAG – Icelandic technical term which usually translates quite well to most other languages for some reason. This started showing up yesterday when scaling up certain platforms well beyond anything we’ve had before and we ran into glass ceilings. We don’t like lag. We hate lag. So we respond to it fast. You should also note that lag manifests itself for many reasons, ranging from networking to game servers. So especially if you are on XBOX, grab whiskey and take a dance or two, the game server problem above is causing this as well.

Patching woes – If you are experiencing this it’s for very different reasons. It’s depending on platform and location which is why we’ve been working with our content distribution networks and service providers to address this, identify where it’s happening etc. There is a thread here you can contribute your information to which will help us. If you can’t patch, you can’t enter the game and play. That’s like batshit level serious for us. We want you ingame just as much as we do. And it’s not just so we can stalk you while cloaked. Honest.

Client crashes – Like, 120hz. And others. We’re already deploying some of these out. We don’t like these crashes. The reason this steps into this list is that after these two days, we got enough information from you to identify and summarily fix certain crashes. You see, we often rely as much on your feedback as we do on our internal testing, because we like to listen to you (especially when you are in a good mood) and our internal testing never comes close to all of you hammering our code when you’re playing.

Some other notable things which you should keep in mind:

Pre-order items and other keys – If you haven’t gotten your pre-order items or are having problems with your key not giving access. Make sure that where you bought it, you got all your codes. This can be the pre-order code (sometimes on your receipt), your game access code, third extras code and the code for launching nuclear missiles. In case it’s the last one, please contact your nearest police station as you might be in trouble. In case of the other ones, make sure you enter all your codes.

Link your Console Account – There were problems both with the Arkhunter website and the account linking but that should now be solved. Head over to account linking to claim your rewards! Like most items, such as pre-order, you claim them ingame afterwards in the store.

Try out Shadow Wars and PVP maps – This should not all be about what’s wrong or sadness. If you are one of the very very very many that are ingame and not experiencing the issues above, this message is for you; try it out and let us know. If you don’t like it or can’t, please, also let us know. Our interest in high velocity impacts to grin area and vicinity is considerable.

That being said. I’m watching as we speak a large number of our operations team around the XBOX servers which just crashed again. That is no small feat, the XBOX cluster has more cores than an army of gold farming bot runners would know what to do with. But they will persevere, as they always have and won’t stop till they’re up again. The servers, not them, you pervert.

We’ve already pushed out a PC client patch to address crashes and a server update last night and we have another juicy server update for everyone in about 16 hours or so.

Ave Arkhunter,

Oveur

Nathan Richardsson

Executive Producer Defiance

PC defiance friends. I'm in need of some help. I finally have some time to play and every time I get past the opening cinematic the game crashes. What gives?

I noticed there was an update, did it screw things up?

the game has been having server issues today AFAIK for all platforms. The 360 servers I know were down for about 2 hours but they posted they were back online but they won't let me(and several others) into the game.

we're 3 days in post launch and its been bumpy to say the least but they post pretty regularly on twitter and on their own forums and they've been working pretty diligently to get the servers back online and kinks worked out.

*sigh*
I'm just trying to remain patient because I knew a game of this ilk would have a rough time of it early on.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I will say though, they completely shame EA in their treatment of their customers/players. Regular updates, seem to be pretty transparent about what's going on and certainly seem to actually care about getting things fixed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to switch loadouts without going to the start menu on the controller?

Also, re:crafting. If you remove one mod from a gun, you get that one mod back and the gun and any other mods are destroyed, right? There is no way to get more than one mod back from a gun?

Zaph

Any idea where the Digital Deluxe Item Boxes go after you've accepted them from the claim menu? Can't find them in my inventory and I'm not noticing any new weapons either.

I will say though, they completely shame EA in their treatment of their customers/players. Regular updates, seem to be pretty transparent about what's going on and certainly seem to actually care about getting things fixed.

there games are entirely community driven so they have to be.

But I know what you mean. It is still refreshing though.

360 server just let me in!!

Joe Molotov

Any idea where the Digital Deluxe Item Boxes go after you've accepted them from the claim menu? Can't find them in my inventory and I'm not noticing any new weapons either.

It should automatically pop-up and say "You got X weapon" or something like that, then it goes into your inventory. Your inventory's not full, is it?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
there games are entirely community driven so they have to be.

But I know what you mean. It is still refreshing though.

360 server just let me in!!

Very true but I'm not really an MMO player so maybe this is common occurrence, just feels new to me :p I at least get the feeling they want their game to be good and want good feedback.

Zaph

It should automatically pop-up and say "You got X weapon" or something like that, then it goes into your inventory. Your inventory's not full, is it?
Shit, it may have been at the time (stupidly I might have clicked the lock boxes before the inventory upgrades). Judging by the queues for support requests, I guess they're lost to the ether for now...

FloatOn

the game has been having server issues today AFAIK for all platforms. The 360 servers I know were down for about 2 hours but they posted they were back online but they won't let me(and several others) into the game.

we're 3 days in post launch and its been bumpy to say the least but they post pretty regularly on twitter and on their own forums and they've been working pretty diligently to get the servers back online and kinks worked out.

*sigh*
I'm just trying to remain patient because I knew a game of this ilk would have a rough time of it early on.

well I'm reinstalling just to be sure it's not something weird file wise. I'm up to date on my drivers too.

This is pretty frustrating. I was able to play a tiny bit yesterday and everything seemed to work fine and now nothing???

I have some other friends playing on pc and they are not having issues at all.

The game definitely has a bit of jank to it, but there's just not much else like it. Duoing is a blast. Love landing at an objective dukes of hazzard style as we jump out the truck, guns blazing. Mob variety has been great, they're good about keeping you moving.
Really like how the encounters seem to scale based on how many people are participating. Solo the encounters are a breeze, but if 5 people are present, it can get intense.

No lag whatsoever on the EU pc server still.

I'm constantly struggling for inventory space, and that is with only one grenade, two shields and no useless weapons or white quality mods or any pistol mods...

At 450 ego rating now and I'm constantly on 3-4 inventory spaces, I don't dare buy the synergy mods from the ingame vendors because those would fill it up over thelimit.

It's fucking ridiculous that I have to stop every 5 mins to dismantle the useless drops, I paid good money for this game why am I being inconvenienced like this so they can try n nickle and dime me for more inventory spaces?

This game fucks you for bag space more than oldschool obnoxious f2p games did...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The wait until tomorrow night is kind of trying considering I hadn't even heard of the game until it launched, Tuesday.

I'm constantly struggling for inventory space, and that is with only one grenade, two shields and no useless weapons or white quality mods or any pistol mods...

At 450 ego rating now and I'm constantly on 3-4 inventory spaces, I don't dare buy the synergy mods from the ingame vendors because those would fill it up over thelimit.

It's fucking ridiculous that I have to stop every 5 mins to dismantle the useless drops, I paid good money for this game why am I being inconvenienced like this so they can try n nickle and dime me for more inventory spaces?

This game fucks you for bag space more than oldschool obnoxious f2p games did...

Tell everyone what your inventory limit is at that level.

Just admit it, you're a Hoarder :p

Wow this is the most fun ive had in any MMO. If you like action games and MMO´s id say go for it!

I'm always turned off on the prospect of playing most mmo's, mainly because of how they control, the choice to make this an mmo built around single player with REAL time (not pseudo turnbased) controls really makes a difference..if Star wars The old Republic went this route, it would have been most epic..Battlefront mmo levels of epic..

pelican

Apologises if I have missed something, but my PSN is replicant-uk.

Feel free to add me to your PSN list for Defiance.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Did you redeem the Ark Hunter codes on the Defiance website to give your account 6 more inventory spaces ? Via my Steam preorder tiers and Ark Hunter codes (along with natural unlocking) I currently have 41 inventory slots.

Tobor

Why would I get the tier 3 lockbox over two tier 2 lockboxes? I'd get 4 items for 16 keys, versus 3 for 24 keys.

Do the higher tiers have better quality loot?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Why would I get the tier 3 lockbox over two tier 2 lockboxes? I'd get 4 items for 16 keys, versus 3 for 24 keys.

Do the higher tiers have better quality loot?

I've not bought a 4 tier box yet but I believe the better the lockbox the better the chance you have of getting an orange item.

I can't believe I never realised weapons I have equipped you couldn't mod. Felt like a real stupid bastard after reading those great tips in this thread :p

nataku

Thx.

Another stupid question. There is a skill bar for each weapon class, and then each individual weapon has a seemingly independent bar. How does that work?

Once you max out a specific weapon's XP bar you gain a random bonus on the weapon, but once it's XP is maxed you no longer gain skill in the specific weapon type.

For example if I have pick up a new shotgun both it's XP bar and the overall shotgun skill will increase as I use it. Once I max out that specific shotgun's XP bar it'll gain a random bonus, but my overall shotgun skill will no longer increase until I pick up a different shotgun and use that.

I have no idea why they decided to do it this way, but I remember reading on the forums from a dev they want to change it.

Tobor

Once you max out a specific weapon's XP bar you gain a random bonus on the weapon, but once it's XP is maxed you no longer gain skill in the specific weapon type.

For example if I have pick up a new shotgun both it's XP bar and the overall shotgun skill will increase as I use it. Once I max out that specific shotgun's XP bar it'll gain a random bonus, but my overall shotgun skill will no longer increase until I pick up a different shotgun and use that.

I have no idea why they decided to do it this way, but I remember reading on the forums from a dev they want to change it.

Ahh, ok. You'd think they'd explain some of this stuff.

Tell everyone what your inventory limit is at that level.

Just admit it, you're a Hoarder :p

Did you redeem the Ark Hunter codes on the Defiance website to give your account 6 more inventory spaces ? Via my Steam preorder tiers and Ark Hunter codes (along with natural unlocking) I currently have 41 inventory slots.
34 inventory slots, I didn't buy it off steam so I didn't get the extra slots from the reward tiers.
Not like it should frigging matter where I buy a game from to have it be less of a painin the ass..

No I'm not a hoarder, as I said I only have two shields (pvp rhino and pve 25 percent hp regen+fast recovery one), one grenade, one of each type of weapon I actually use, no pistols, no pistol mods, no melee mods, only blue mods and some green ones... I'm only keeping very select items.
Since you can't remove mods seperately you need a TON of inventory space for mods once you have good weapons, mods can have set bonusses and you don't wana waste rare mods till you have 4 of them for a weapon.

Anyhow here's some more screenshots:

Effect

Opinion is improving. Did my first episode mission and that was pretty fun and a little intense. Maybe I'm imagining it but crouching or hiding behind cover does seem to work which is nice. I just hope the word "stako"doesn't catch on with anyone the way "frak" did.

Top Bottom