• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Degica's Muv-Luv Trilogy Kickstarter (Funded) - New Tiers for Physical Vita Reward

Japan BETTER take note of this! I don't want to hear ANYMORE "this won't sell" or "the west wants this??" or "we won't make money off physical copies" etc etc...

It's still less than 6000 people. There's still no real example of a full priced visual novel selling more than a few thousand copies in the west outside of handheld adventure games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape. They'd be smart not to overestimate the size of the western market.

Hastati

So crazy. Maybe the title should be updated for this milestone. It'll be fun to watch how high it goes, since a number of people seem to be upgrading their pledges!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's still less than 6000 people. There's still no real example of a full priced visual novel selling more than a few thousand copies in the west outside of handheld games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape. They'd be smart not to overestimate the size of the western market.

However, it does show that fans of VN have the $$. Think about the industry in Japan which is similar to this: games, LEs, anime blu rays etc. are higher priced, but they don't sell too many. Still, the amount of money they make from the higher prices, justify selling to that smaller fanbase.

Fans are willing to spend the money on niche titles, if given the option. Companies like NISA also show how successful limited physical runs can be. Many companies either just won't bring the game, or figure that DD-only is ok.

It's still less than 6000 people. There's still no real example of a full priced visual novel selling more than a few thousand copies in the west outside of handheld games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape. They'd be smart not to overestimate the size of the western market.

Yeah, a few thousand people paying an average of ~$150 to pre-order a VN (primarily because they get a shitload of merch along with it) doesn't mean that any VN localization can be profitable. The number of people who buy the game after it actually releases will be a much more relevant indicator of viability than the KS numbers.

That said, I would be shocked if Type-Moon didn't do a KS for a Fate/Stay Night localization in the next year or so. If Muv-Luv, a series that nobody really cares about outside of the people who already played the fan translation, can do this well, then Fate, a franchise with a sizable western fanbase that hasn't played the original, can blow its numbers out of the water, especially if they throw as much swag at it as ML is.

Shizuka

Not throwing shade, but they might get, at the end of the campaign, close to the same amount as all Sekai Project's Kickstarters combined.

However, it does show that fans of VN have the $$. Think about the industry in Japan which is similar to this: games, LEs, anime blu rays etc. are higher priced, but they don't sell too many. Still, the amount of money they make from the higher prices, justify selling to that smaller fanbase.

Fans are willing to spend the money on niche titles, if given the option. Companies like NISA also show how successful limited physical runs can be. Many companies either just won't bring the game, or figure that DD-only is ok.
Yeah, there is money to be made, especially for games from franchises already known in the West. I just wouldn't use this KS or the sales of some of the really cheap games on Steam (Sakura Spirit, GoGoNippon) as indicators that there is a huge VN audience in the west. The best selling full priced VN on Steam is Grisaia at 8k, and half of those sales were from the KS.

Yeah, a few thousand people paying an average of ~$150 to pre-order a VN (primarily because they get a shitload of merch along with it) doesn't mean that any VN localization can be profitable. The number of people who buy the game after it actually releases will be a much more relevant indicator of viability than the KS numbers.

That said, I would be shocked if Type-Moon didn't do a KS for a Fate/Stay Night localization in the next year or so. If Muv-Luv, a series that nobody really cares about outside of the people who already played the fan translation, can do this well, then Fate, a franchise with a sizable western fanbase that hasn't played the original, can blow its numbers out of the water, especially if they throw as much swag at it as ML is.
I think Clannad's sales will be an interesting test to see how big of an audience there is beyond their Kickstarter. Type Moon could make a ton of money, but who knows if their disinterest will change.
Not throwing shade, but they might get, at the end of the campaign, close to the same amount as all Sekai Project's Kickstarters combined.
I believe the number to beat would be around $1.2 million.

Hubb

If I pledged $150, do I need to up it by $30 to get the digital side stories/extra stories? Or are they included? And if they are not included, are they included in the $300 tier?

Quixzlizx

/\/\/\/\
All of the digital stretch goals are included in the $150 collectors' box.

It's still less than 6000 people. There's still no real example of a full priced visual novel selling more than a few thousand copies in the west outside of handheld adventure games like Danganronpa and Zero Escape. They'd be smart not to overestimate the size of the western market.

Do they usually sell more than a few thousand full-priced copies in Japan?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, there is money to be made, especially for games from franchises already known in the West. I just wouldn't use this KS or the sales of some of the really cheap games on Steam (Sakura Spirit, GoGoNippon) as indicators that there is a huge VN audience in the west. The best selling full priced VN on Steam is Grisaia at 8k, and half of those sales were from the KS.

Depends on the game as well. I have no interest in the Sakura games, but with how it's marketed, I can see different people going for that than maybe a stronger story-based game.

The VN market is definitely growing here and I'm actually fairly new to the genre/medium as well. KS is at least one way of opening up titles to a bigger fanbase that might of never even heard of these games. More physical copies also helps the marketability I believe, but even then it's hard since games like Steins;Gate went Amazon-exclusive for physical. Doesn't really help :x I am glad with Aksys' efforts with putting out an assortment of VNs, especially otome, which they are the only ones so far that really dipped their feet into.

Either way, successes like this can only be a good thing for the market :)

icecream

Public Health Threat
Do they usually sell more than a few thousand full-priced copies in Japan?
Your standard generic games, or ones by big popular companies like Âge or Key or Alicesoft?

The former, yes a few thousand. The latter can sell in the ten thousands on hype and brand name.

Shizuka

Your standard generic games, or ones by big popular companies like Âge or Key or Alicesoft?

The former, yes a few thousand. The latter can sell in the ten thousands on hype and brand name.

I wonder how Muv-Luv is going to sell on the Vita in Japan.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Icecream is back!?!?
Can't be back if one never left!

I wonder how Muv-Luv is going to sell on the Vita in Japan.
Original quote was regarding PC, but in regards to the console space ADVs can fare much better (hence the ports). Whether that is selection bias (only the more popular/pretty/hyped games are usually ported), or the demographic market is larger on consoles versus PC is up for debate.

But in regards to consoles, hopefully more than Photonflowers (~5K) but probably less than Total Eclipse (~17.5k) opening week. The 360/PS3 ports of Muv-Luv and Alternative didn't even chart IIRC.

Zhao_Yun

Still contemplating whether to back at the 80 or 150$ tier...

I know that I would spend a lot of money on a FSN KS depending on the backer rewards.

Chaos17

This infos may interest any physical copy lover (from the comment section of KS)

From Muv-Luv Team's facebook, apparently likelyhood of physical Vita release outside of this KB project is probably almost non-existent so if someone wants a physical version, they better get it during this stage.

Akara

Banned
Darn it. Really want this! Might cancel a copy of Atelier Escha for this. Love that the vita is getting love still from devs.

blacksark

I have backed the game because I love vn and think that we have to support them, but for those who have played the game, are that good the muv luv series?

I think it's pretty impressive that over 1000 backers have pledged for the Vita-specific tiers now. And this doesn't even count people getting digital Vita along with the PC version.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I think I'll sell off my Vita codes when I get them in since I can pretty much guarantee I'd never actually touch them so might as well go to someone who would use it.

Shizuka

Asked about physical Vita copies availability after the Kickstarter and here's the answer:

Hi,

Hmm... Let's just say the situation doesn't favor us during the first year after PC release/ too risky to attempt retail Vita because of it. When the period is done, that's the time we'll look into it; see if VNs are still in-demand for the PS Vita by then, then we can try. It's just way too far ahead in the future to promise, lots of factor to consider.

Cheers,
The Muv-Luv Team

Prelude.

It's completely understandable, IMO. They can't commit to a physical Vita run for a year or over from now.
It's absolutely understandable they wouldn't commit to something so far away but they're already making up excuses, which is not a good sign.
It won't be risky and there will be interest for VNs on Vita next year, that's really not up to debate.

Shizuka

It's absolutely understandable they wouldn't commit to something so far away but they're already making up excuses, which is not a good sign.
It won't be risky and there will be interest for VNs on Vita next year, that's really not up to debate.

I don't see it as an excuse. They aren't big enough to make a retail print for retailers in the US, they'd have to pull off a Gaijinworks/LRG kind of deal, which isn't the purpose of the company at all, since they're already offering physical copies during the Kickstarter.

Top Bottom