• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

Just tried EVE Valkyrie....wow. I was kind of skeptical as I'd never demoed any sort of VR before, and in the menus it definitely wasn't immersive and I was doubting whether it would be anything special, but once you are in it the world just disappears and you really feel like you are inside of a cockpit. I didn't get motion sick, and I tend to in long jerky car rides, so if you are worried about that but don't get motion sick from playing first person games you'd be fine. That was my biggest worry but it was not a problem at all. My girlfriend did the deep ocean one and she loved it as well. She was skeptical before but she's sold on it now.

It's definitely not gonna replace normal gaming, but it was a very cool piece of tech and a great showpiece for non-gamers. Loved it, wish I had preordered one now, lol.

I waited over an hour to demo the headset, and chose to play EVE. Impressions:

I assume whatever was being used to sanitize the headset was leaving a residue, as my vision was blurry as heck. Even after adjusting. That kind of put a major damper on my experience.
[...]
Also ended up with a splitting headache after the fact, I think that's due to the playing with blurry vision. All in all, I'm still #teamVR. But my hype is significantly tempered.

I hope Sony people are reading this thread, because this sounds really unacceptable. Waiting an hour only to have a headset that is blurry? They've got to do more training on how to set up and maintain the demo units, because the whole thing is a waste if people come away with a poor experience.

kinggroin

Banned
Most annoying thing about VR virgins trying VR (whether on my Vive, or in-store on PSVR), they usually just stand there or don't look around, heh.

Drives me mad.

Of course after getting used to how it all works, they are working up a sweat ducking, dodging and contorting their bodies to avoid incoming alien fire ;-)

It's gonna take time for folks to understand how to git gud at VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I ended up playing EVE. I was pretty impressed. I'll caveat that I have not played any other VR.

I didn't see any screen door type pattern or anything. I guess I'd say it felt most like a lasershow or perhaps the old Star Wars ride at Disneyland when it comes to resolution. Text appears foggy, almost misty, and objects are jaggy. But that's only the first impression you get...then after a minute my eyes adjusted and it felt very natural. I would never say it appears "crisp," but it doesn't appear like a subHD Vita game after a minute or so. The cockpit area in EVE felt very real and very in front of me, and after a while my eyes focusing in the background gave the foreground a very nice, natural DoF.

After a few minutes I actually noticed I was ducking and dodging my head as I whipped around the side of the big spaceships.

My roommate did the shark tank demo. He liked it a lot. He complained that I was not looking around the cockpit a lot, so the outer TV apparently looked boring while I was playing...but I said I was trying to play the game. I don't normally look around while trying to shoot or whatever.

Anyway it really needs good software but the hardware is pretty neat. I gotta get a PS4K I guess. The device is VERY comfortable! I had no light bleed.

The thing with a cockpit shooter like eve, war thunder or DCS is that you can look around to track enemies and then use your controls to pull the ship around to where you are looking. Like padlock view in falcon /su27 flanker but using your head rather than a game camera tracking the enemy. Super involving and really enjoyable. It is very easy to 'play the game' and I do sometimes find myself settling into those patterns. But the best VR games naturally stop you doing that and bring you into the game fully

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
First time I tried VR and it was pretty amazing. Got to try EVE and that Tron like Tank game. My only issue is that its really sort of blurry, but that's probably because I didn't really have the time to adjust the headset perfectly. The headset was pleasantly comfortable; I was worried it'd be heavy.

The demo definitely sold me on the PS VR and will most likely buy it sometime after launch.

Wish they had RE7 for a demo lol

First time I tried VR and it was pretty amazing. Got to try EVE and that Tron like Tank game. My only issue is that its really sort of blurry, but that's probably because I didn't really have the time to adjust the headset perfectly.

The demo definitely sold me on the PS VR and will most likely buy it sometime after launch.

Wish they had RE7 for a demo lol

Heard that the RE7 demo in VR is often making people very sick, so maybe be glad that they didn't have it.

Floored by all of these overwhelmingly positive impressions. Will definitely be keeping my starter bundle preorder on Amazon.

Ogni-XR21

It's probably for the best they don't have the RE7 demo as it seems to make a lot of people feel sick in it's current state. Capcom seem to ignore basic rules usually associated with VR.

Just went, Syracuse location. Had an actual PS Employee. He said there were about 150 third party employees and 80 PS Employees running this.

Also said to come back frequently as they told him they'll be having new demos throughout the summer.

There were a grand total of three people there playing and by the time I was done the line was empty, could have kept playing he said but I had my wife waiting outside.

Impressions:
-Very comfortable, but did cause me to sweat. This thing could get nasty if not cleaned after every play session. Light enough that I didn't even notice it.
-Definitely want a good pair of head phones, once I started I couldn't hear a single thing from the outside which was cool
-I played Battlezone, very underwhelmed with the Software. Game was pretty crappy but the immersion in the cockpit was really cool. Using your head as the look stick works really well. Text was fuzzy. Just way too tech demo-y.

Saw a girl play the ocean immersion one and it looked really cool but nothing beyond a tech demo. She freaked a couple times and thought she was going to fall out of her chair during some jump moments haha.

I actually came away from the whole thing impressed with the hardware but it's very clear they don't have the software yet. I'll go back best week to try EVE considering there was no line. But they'll have to prove out a few full fledged games if I'm going to keep my pre-order (and I don't like Horror).

He said Until Dawn will have VR DLC.

I went to the same location. Had the bearded olderish guy who was very nice and very helpful in explaining how to adjust the unit. I played eve and loved the experience. Was going to try the deep or Battlezone, but there was a line by the time by the time I took off the headset. Didn't even know people were lining up while I was playing.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about "screen door" since the image was pretty smooth to me. I'm not saying it didn't look pixelated, because it did look a little low rez, but it didn't look like the commonly mentioned "screen door". I haven't tried the oculus or the vice so I can't compare. The graphics were perfectly fine though, looking worse than a normal PS4 game, but the immersion of the space can't be understated.

I have to say though, while you could probably nitpick this to death, I loved the experience. The head unit was comfortable, the head tracking was spot on, eve Valkyrie was fun and immersive and I'm sure I'll appreciate how easy it is to setup and configure when I have one at home. The biggest endorsement I can give is that while playing and all the way home after the demo I had the biggest smile on my face. The experience was so fun and I can't wait to play more when I get it in October.

LowSignal

I'm just curious why some were unimpressed with EVE.

now mind you, I LOVE space shooters... used to love Star Trek, Babylon 5, Colony Wars etc just for the epic space battles. Being able to fly along the side of a HUGE ship.... looking over... it reminded me of those old Star Wars, Buck Rogers moments of looking around in the cockpit of a fighter.

Alot of stuff is going on in EVE.. and I thought the graphics were great for a VR title that ran at a high framerate.

again though, EVE was the first ever PSVR game I played. And that was last year at PSX. I think I'll try it again to see if I'll feel different about it.

I'm probably being critical of the graphic capabilities but I thought they would be better. I wanted to be wowed like I was with Rogue Squadron when it came out. Maybe they should have demoed it with a flight stick or something. Still 10 mins isn't enough time to make a definitive conclusion. I will be picking up PSVR day one but I don't want to get burned.

lt519

Yeah same guy, he was great. Spent a lot of time chatting with him while others were playing. You could tell he himself was very excited about the technology and got a big kick out of everyone's reactions and opinions. Showed me how to adjust the headset, cleaned it without any residue others were complaining about, etc.

Wonder if some people are getting the third party reps that don't really have enthusiasm for it and generally don't care how positive of an experience people have.

I went to the same location. Had the bearded olderish guy who was very nice and very helpful in explaining how to adjust the unit. I played eve and loved the experience. Was going to try the deep or Battlezone, but there was a line by the time by the time I took off the headset. Didn't even know people were lining up while I was playing.

I'm not sure why everyone is complaining about "screen door" since the image was pretty smooth to me. I'm not saying it didn't look pixelated, because it did look a little low rez, but it didn't look like the commonly mentioned "screen door". I haven't tried the oculus or the vice so I can't compare. The graphics were perfectly fine though, looking worse than a normal PS4 game, but the immersion of the space can't be understated.

I have to say though, while you could probably nitpick this to death, I loved the experience. The head unit was comfortable, the head tracking was spot on, eve Valkyrie was fun and immersive and I'm sure I'll appreciate how easy it is to setup and configure when I have one at home. The biggest endorsement I can give is that while playing and all the way home after the demo I had the biggest smile on my face. The experience was so fun and I can't wait to play more when I get it in October.

You should probably try the Vive that's where the SDE chat comes from, it's very obvious although of course you can ignore it.
On a light background like the white spaces of the lab the pixel grid mesh turns it sort of greyish like you are looking at the world with your nose against a flyscreen.

Cloud7

I tried out Sony PlayStation VR yesterday at a local Best Buy and thought it was fun.

I had a "wow factor" moment when I was playing EVE Valkyrie. It felt cool as hell to be in the plane in space and being able to feel the full 360 rotations of the plane while playing. That was very satisfying. The shooting took me a bit to get used to but was fun.

I also played Battlezone and that was a fun game. Actually using your head tilts to help aim the camera was neat. The game itself was pretty generic but it was fun.

It didn't push me to pre-order a PSVR but it did entice me to play the AAA titles I want to play on it even more (Gran Turismo Sport, Resident Evil VII, and Star Wars: Battlefront - X-Wing Mission). I really hope those three titles can be demoed before the headset comes out.

Dominator

I'm not disheartened but I didn't enjoy the demo. I played EVE and after adjustments the screen was just blurry and kind of ruined it. It also wasn't center, as I had my head perfectly straight and the controller image when you first put the headset on was to my right. Had to keep my head shifted right slightly the entire time.

It was also way too short. Gonna go back next weekend and try another game at another Best Buy to see how it is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought EVE looked better than anything on PS3. The particle effects were very cool.

I'm not disheartened but I didn't enjoy the demo. I played EVE and after adjustments the screen was just blurry and kind of ruined it. It also wasn't center, as I had my head perfectly straight and the controller image when you first put the headset on was to my right. Had to keep my head shifted right slightly the entire time.

It was also way too short. Gonna go back next weekend and try another game at another Best Buy to see how it is.

Yeah it's important to adjust the headset until the image is clear and lock it in place with the slider in the back.

Also, if it becomes misaligned to your head again, just hold the options button to center it.

Check out Battlezone next time. It's way cooler than Eve in my opinion.

Skrams

Tried 3 out of the 5 demos available

Battlezone, SuperHyperCube, and Headmaster in that order. I didn't try out EVE Valkyrie and the PS Worlds Ocean thing.

Overall I'm pretty sold on VR now after this being the first time I've tried it. This is something I immediatelly really want to pick up like some N64 or something to show to people and be like LOOK AT THE 3D POLYGONS. Except you know, with a VR headset.

Sitting down with Battlezone and having the first thing it does being setting up the tank interior had me looking around at all the features and details. I also think the touch of having the controller actually be projected in the world is super fucking cool. Seeing the attendant hold it a few from feet from me had me giggle when I first noticed it. A guy laughed later too. It's such a fucking duh, of course feature and it's super cool. I wouldn't be surprised if most or all titles have that to some degree during setup. After the initial looking around, the tank immediately moves forward on it's tracks which really made me feel out of body. Me not moving while the in game was moving was disorientating since it was 5 seconds into the game, but I got use to it. It was a really cool feeling since I felt like a part of me was floating behind me. Just a weird brain trick with movement and stuff I guess. The demo itself was fun enough and fast enough to keep me pretty engaged. You're always facing forward in the cockpit wherever you're aiming with the right stick. The looking around is mostly for looking to your side to see all the enemies firing at you. It really makes me wish I was playing something where the aiming was controlled by where I'm looking since that's more fun than just aiming with the right stick to myself. Games still enjoyable either way.

SuperHyperCube is hole in the wall/tetris/whatever where you flip the cube to be able to fit in the hole. It's simple enough and neat enough. I don't really feel like VR is a big deal to it though. You have to look around the cube to be able to see the wall ahead and what the what would be to match up. It's not something you really need VR for I think.

Headmaster was actually way more interesting than I thought it would be considering it'll probably be the least played demo. You headbutt the soccer balls to hit certain targets to try and hit certain score thresholds for stars and all that. A really simple premise, but they had a lot of funny little dialogue peppered throughout. I doubt the base game will do much for me since you're headbutting balls to targets/playing BoomBlox with explosive soccerballs, but the stuff surrounding it is kind of interesting. I doubt it will be that expanded upon though even if it's very Stanley Parable like. Also you're in a weird british soccer prison as the setup. You can see fences and guard towers. It's weird.

The only thing that really made me go yeah, this is VR heavy, was Headmaster I guess. I really wish they had a knock it out of the park demo like The Heist there. That would of been a joy and probably sold a lot of people on it. Hell, why even have the 2 move controllers at the demo kiosk if they're not used.

I also felt the need to look around to make the VR look cool to other people watching. I don't want this shit to crash and burn.

And maybe I'll go back next weekend to try out EVE Valkyrie and the ocean thing? It would be cool if they added other demos after a week or two. I want an excuse to go try EVE since I'm half and half on whether that would of been something that cool.

Forgot to mention also that I sometimes felt the picture was a little blurry for being that close, so I'm not sure if it was just misaligned on my head which made it a little weirder or what. I moved the headset around on my head and it was easy to make the picture blurry or not as just by a little tilting. Or the wipes made it a little eh on the inside. It still looks super good, but the resolution is probably just a little too low for what I actually want.

Edit- Yeah, after reading more of the thread. That blurriness looked a lot like the screen door effect to me. I don't know if that's coming from the pixels and lines being close to your face or what.

Aesthet1c

I'm just curious why some were unimpressed with EVE.

I played EVE and I was pretty unimpressed.

The graphics are serviceable at best, the gameplay is mediocre, and I feel like it's also a bad VR demo.

This was my first experience with VR, and at first it was kind of cool. The head tracking is great, and looking around was fun, but once the demo got going there is zero reason to look around. You are focused on your reticle in the center and trying to shoot enemy ships. At no time did I feel like looking to my sides or looking up benefited me in any way.

I'll admit I was kind of a VR skeptic going in, but this felt like a PS2 era game that didn't really benefit from being in VR. I almost think something like the Ocean demo would have been more fun (even though you don't play it) simply because you could look all the way around and take in everything, and enjoy the immersion that VR brings.

The PS rep told me they have a heist demo that uses the move controllers that they were going to show off at Gamestop. I think I want to go give that one a shot before I make my judgement on VR.

Most annoying thing about VR virgins trying VR (whether on my Vive, or in-store on PSVR), they usually just stand there or don't look around, heh.

Drives me mad.

Headmasters definitely seems like a good one to get people into the VR mindset. Too bad it seems like it's one of the least picked games overall, I thought it was pretty charming.

I chose Battlezone for my demo.

Aside from the noticeable screen pixels, I was quickly immersed into the virtual world. I found it neat looking up to aim up and it was very easy to control.

I was a bit turned off when I overheard the controls for EVE only required one stick so I was glad both were utilized in BZ.

I'm in... whenever they hit and stick to shelves.

Edit: I had pantomimed pulling the levers at my side and waved to a potential line while in VR lol. Had fun with it.

Headmasters definitely seems like a good one to get people into the VR mindset. Too bad it seems like it's one of the least picked games overall, I thought it was pretty charming.
Headmaster and Super Hypercube promote the most usage of moving within the VR space (London Heist a bit as well, if you get into it like i did and nearly hit the PS employee).

Will post video soon from another demo experience. My friend Craig and his brother tried out London Heist and Ocean Descent. Really fun reactions.

D23

Tried battlezone! Damn that was a lot of fun. I am super impressed and the IQ is not that bad as I thought it would be. Definitely keeping my preorder I can't wait.

Marcin Gulik

Neo Member
The guy at the store told me that pre-orders are all sold out for the PlayStation VR ;-/ . Any ideas when more are supposed to come in?

The guy at the store told me that pre-orders are all sold out for the PlayStation VE ;-/ . Any ideas when more are supposed to come in?
Nope. Did you miss all the threads we had during pre-orders? Online retails sold out in minutes around the world. Might see some more stock pop up closer to launch, as Sony figures out how many they can produce, but have said they will in fact be supply constrained based on the response so far.

Okay, tried both the Vive and the PS4 VR today. Leaning toward Vive though the FOV is poor(er). Does the oculus rift have a wider FOV? The PS4 VR is quite good by comparison to the Vive.

M_A_C

Okay, tried both the Vive and the PS4 VR today. Leaning toward Vive though the FOV is poor(er). Does the oculus rift have a wider FOV? The PS4 VR is quite good by comparison to the Vive.

Do you mean by that the PS4 VR headset looks better than Vive?

Dreez

Just tried PSVR for the first time, having previously just tried Vive and Gear.

SOLD!!!

I played Battlezone and movement and shooting instantly felt natural. Definitely gonna buy that game and Rigs.

For those that are saying the image quality is blurry, the Sony Reps probably didn't tell you you could change the distance of the lens to your face.

It looks SUPER good guys. Like, those saying the games have IQ of Mario Kart 8 are overstating that fact. It's better and it's more reminiscent to a high quality Vita game such as Killzone Mercenary but better.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
For those that are saying the image quality is blurry, the Sony Reps probably didn't tell you you could change the distance of the lens to your face.

It looks SUPER good guys. Like, those saying the games have IQ of Mario Kart 8 are overstating that fact. It's better and it's more reminiscent to a high quality Vita game such as Killzone Mercenary but better.

I asked about the blurriness to the rep and told me to adjust it with the black button on the headset but it was difficult at least for me to find the sweet spot. No matter how I adjusted the distance it remained blurry.

Burglekutt

I asked about the blurriness to the rep and told me to adjust it with the black button on the headset but it was difficult at least for me to find the sweet spot. No matter how I adjusted the distance it remained blurry.

I had a problem with blurriness and there seemed to be two issues. First the rep took the headset off and re-cleaned the lenses. That took care of most of the problem. Next the rep said to adjust the entire headset till your eyes hit the sweet spot of the lenses. Moving the screen back and forth doesn't help, you have to adjust the entire headset.

I honestly think the blurriness/clarity of the image is almost solely dependent on moving the headset up and down until it comes into focus (rather than sliding the visor part in and out).

WoolyNinja

I had my first VR experience and it sucks that I have to wait until October to do that again. My brain was tricked almost immediately and I was in the Battlezone tank. It blew my mind and I can't stop thinking about the possibilities. If by some miracle No Mans Sky works with PSVR I may never want to leave.

My rep was an awesome lady somewhere in her late 40's early 50's and she was doing a great job. She'd clean the headset and then wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth to clear it up. She thoroughly explained how to put the headset on and adjust it, etc. She was extremely helpful and was great PR for Sony.

As for specifics...
Screen was great, great FOV, didn't notice blind spots in the periphery. Not saying they aren't there but they apparently didn't bother me if they are. Everything was quite clear for me - my rep was great and talked about the sweet spot which does exist. Too high = blurry, too low = blurry, too left = blurry, too right = blurry. But in the sweet spot it was perfect and it was a decent sized sweet spot and was easy to find.

Graphics were "good enough". Initially I thought it wasn't great but somehow the brain adjusts and I fell into it. After about 20 seconds it all just worked.

The head tracking is also fantasic and I had 0 issues at all during my demo.

Before this demo I was nervous that:
A) the effect wouldn't work for me - I've tried Google Cardboard and it was a double vision blurry mess
B) that I'd get the dizziness, etc

This demo put both of those concerns to bed. I'm all in, I'm ready and I'm sad I'm not currently playing it.

I honestly think the blurriness/clarity of the image is almost solely dependent on moving the headset up and down until it comes into focus (rather than sliding the visor part in and out).

Its a little of both but yep, mostly up and down

Maligna

Banned
I had my first VR experience and it sucks that I have to wait until October to do that again. My brain was tricked almost immediately and I was in the Battlezone tank. It blew my mind and I can't stop thinking about the possibilities. If by some miracle No Mans Sky works with PSVR I may never want to leave.

My rep was an awesome lady somewhere in her late 40's early 50's and she was doing a great job. She'd clean the headset and then wipe the screen with a microfiber cloth to clear it up. She thoroughly explained how to put the headset on and adjust it, etc. She was extremely helpful and was great PR for Sony.

As for specifics...
Screen was great, great FOV, didn't notice blind spots in the periphery. Not saying they aren't there but they apparently didn't bother me if they are. Everything was quite clear for me - my rep was great and talked about the sweet spot which does exist. Too high = blurry, too low = blurry, too left = blurry, too right = blurry. But in the sweet spot it was perfect and it was a decent sized sweet spot and was easy to find.

Graphics were "good enough". Initially I thought it wasn't great but somehow the brain adjusts and I fell into it. After about 20 seconds it all just worked.

The head tracking is also fantasic and I had 0 issues at all during my demo.

Before this demo I was nervous that:
A) the effect wouldn't work for me - I've tried Google Cardboard and it was a double vision blurry mess
B) that I'd get the dizziness, etc

This demo put both of those concerns to bed. I'm all in, I'm ready and I'm sad I'm not currently playing it.

Its a little of both but yep, mostly up and down

Love hearing this kind of thing.

RedFox85

Posted this in the Vive thread but then I saw this thread so I will drop it here too, this is coming from myself as a Vive owner.

Sat down to demo the PSVR at best buy today and all I can say is the headset is INFINITELY more comfortable than the HTC vive. I was honestly very impressed with the device and when you consider it is only half the cost of the Vive it makes a very good value proposition. Played a little bit of eve valkyrie and I think I just may have to pick that one up now as I really enjoyed it.

It was kind of odd however as the demo attendant said he was not allowed to let anyone play London: The Heist because best buy forbade him to do so.. something about it being too violent. I found this kind of funny because as I said to him we were literally 10 feet from a screen playing call of duty adverts on repeat.. with dudes getting blown up and shot etc etc. As for the headset itself the experience wasnt 1:1 with the vive, I can't really articulate just WHY but something about it didn't seem as strong like.. maybe the 3D wasn't as good or I Just wasn't feeling as much "presence" as I do with the vive but it was something.

As I said earlier in the post I was still really impressed with the device, I am not trying to say its "HTC VIVE OR NOTHING" just that there is a noticible difference between the two. Anyone considering a PSVR as their entry point should rest easy, I think this thing is totally the real deal and it doesn't feel at all like a "cheap" alternative. I am really excited to see the behemoth that is Sony behind VR in general because I think it can only help to drive things forward for everyone.

Definitely a thumbs up for this device :D.

olimpia84

During this past week I was able to demo both the Vive and PS VR. My biggest fear was getting motion sick while using these devices but thankfully it didn't happen. Or rather, I should say I felt slightly dizzy when I took out the headset which makes me think these things will only be good for a period of 1 hour gameplay max before you start becoming dizzy.

Slightly disappointed at the blurriness. I found both the Vive and PS VR to be blurry and whatever was shown on the TVs looked more crisp and better. Both reps did their job at cleaning the lenses and the Sony rep even went through several menus and readjusted the headset several times for me but we were not able to find a sweet spot which I'm starting to think there isn't one.

Besides all those small issues I can say I'm sold on VR. I kind of wish none of the companies will release these products and instead wait a year or two to make it right in order to eliminate blurriness and wait for parts to become cheaper. I can see myself buying the PS VR if preorders open up again but hopefully Sony doesn't pull a 1.5 scenario where they release another headset model in a year or two after the first one is released.

On the PS VR I did the Valkyrie demo and it was great, very inmersive and tight gameplay, just wish the blurriness would go away and for a better resolution. I went in line again and did the underwater demo as well and it was very entertaining and the perfect way to demo this thing. However, after trying it once there is very little incentive to doing it again so I'm wondering how these demos will be priced in the future since threre's basically zero 'replay' value.

I tried it today.

It was blurry and the headset constantly slipped around as I was doing the soccer demo, making it hard to keep it in focus.

I felt nauseous afterwards.

The rep actually did tell me that I could adjust it, and he tried tightening the device, but as soon as I started heading virtual soccer balls it slipped around and everything got blurry again. It might've been better for the other games but it completely ruined the soccer game and makes me think that the headset isn't suited for anything where you might want to move your head around. It is entirely too finicky.

RedFox85

During this past week I was able to demo both the Vive and PS VR. My biggest fear was getting motion sick while using these devices but thankfully it didn't happen. Or rather, I should say I felt slightly dizzy when I took out the headset which makes me think these things will only be good for a period of 1 hour gameplay max before you start becoming dizzy.

Slightly disappointed at the blurriness. I found both the Vive and PS VR to be blurry and whatever was shown on the TVs looked more crisp and better. Both reps did their job at cleaning the lenses and the Sony rep even went through several menus and readjusted the headset several times for me but we were not able to find a sweet spot which I'm starting to think there isn't one.

Besides all those small issues I can say I'm sold on VR. I kind of wish none of the companies will release these products and instead wait a year or two to make it right in order to eliminate blurriness and wait for parts to become cheaper. I can see myself buying the PS VR if preorders open up again but hopefully Sony doesn't pull a 1.5 scenario where they release another headset model in a year or two after the first one is released.

On the PS VR I did the Valkyrie demo and it was great, very inmersive and tight gameplay, just wish the blurriness would go away and for a better resolution. I went in line again and did the underwater demo as well and it was very entertaining and the perfect way to demo this thing. However, after trying it once there is very little incentive to doing it again so I'm wondering how these demos will be priced in the future since threre's basically zero 'replay' value.

Just a quick question, would you say that your vision is pretty good or do you require/possibly require corrective lenses? As someone who wears glasses my wife commented that on the HTC vive she has 0 problems with blur but on the PSVR she just could NOT find a sweet spot. I however had 0 issues on the PSVR.

pj

Banned

Something was definitely wrong with the vive you tried if you think its fov is lower than psvr. Of the three big headsets vive objectively has the largest fov.

Toki767

I can kind of imagine that PSVR is probably the one headset that won't have a gen 2 revision in the next 3 years.

I would probably wait for a second gen PC VR headset but for $400 I'm fine with a first gen PSVR.

However, after trying it once there is very little incentive to doing it again so I'm wondering how these demos will be priced in the future since threre's basically zero 'replay' value.

You only played part of what the full game has hence the demo part of the name. The Underwater Demo is part of PSVR Worlds game that has 5 entry level experiences to get you used to diferent levels of motion starting with Ocean Descent as the mild experience and Luge and Scavenger Odyssey as heavy experiences of motion. The other demos shown like EVE, Headmaster, Battlezone and SuperHyperCube are not the full game and are missing modes that do have replayability. Just so you know :p

I tried it today.

It was blurry and the headset constantly slipped around as I was doing the soccer demo, making it hard to keep it in focus.

The rep actually did tell me that I could adjust it, and he tried tightening the device, but as soon as I started heading virtual soccer balls it slipped around and everything got blurry again. It might've been better for the other games but it completely ruined the soccer game and makes me think that the headset isn't suited for anything where you might want to move your head around. It is entirely too finicky.

You can adjust it from two places, behind which makes it tighter and less to fall off your face or in front which is moving it so that it focuses better.

WoolyNinja

I tried it today.

Did you use the dial on the back strap to tighten it and lock it in place?

Is there any type of rumble tech that works with PS4(Chair a vest or anything)?
Thats one thing im going to really need on games like EVE and Ace Combat 7.

In Eve though, it's pretty cool to see your body rendered inside though.

Is it just me or is the EVE pilot female?
Looked down and was like damn I have some skinny legs and hands.

More VR games need this imo.

Maligna

Banned
So in the coming years do we think the PSVR can continue to be used going forward and it can just reap the benefits of future Playstation consoles to improve its VR experiences, or will the headset itself need to be upgraded?

Not sure what is more of a factor in the quality of the VR, the headset or the console.

Toki767

So in the coming years do we think the PSVR can continue to be used going forward and it can just reap the benefits of future Playstation consoles to improve its VR experiences, or will the headset itself need to be upgraded?

Not sure what is more of a factor in the quality of the VR, the headset or the console.
I don't see why it couldn't be compatible with future hardware like a PS5. That said, the screen technology is always going to hold it back from whatever newer version comes out even if the newer games work for it.

Maligna

Banned
I don't see why it couldn't be compatible with future hardware like a PS5. That said, the screen technology is always going to hold it back from whatever newer version comes out even if the newer games work for it.

Well what is causing the blurriness? The screen or the lack of power in the hardware?
If a PSVR was hooked up to a super computer that came from 10 years in the future, would it still be blurry or could it conceivably be crystal clear because of the horse power it's hooked up to?

Top Bottom