• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

So in the coming years do we think the PSVR can continue to be used going forward and it can just reap the benefits of future Playstation consoles to improve its VR experiences, or will the headset itself need to be upgraded?

Not sure what is more of a factor in the quality of the VR, the headset or the console.

I'd say other than minor upgrades PSVR stays about the same.
Only major enhancement I see is screen quality down the road.

Well what is causing the blurriness? The screen or the lack of power in the hardware?
If a PSVR was hooked up to a super computer that came from 10 years in the future, would it still be blurry or could it conceivably be crystal clear because of the horse power it's hooked up to?
As screen technology progresses it can always look better, just like PSVR still looks better than most 80s&90s tube tvs especially pressed up to your face.

Even with a pc from 30 years from now it can only display the max resolution of the screens it currently has so it could always be better.
Maybe 5+ years we get curved 4k screens and once something can output twice in 4K we won't be able to conceive anything much more clear than that.

I'd say other than minor upgrades PSVR stays about the same.
Only major enhancement I see is screen quality down the road.

As screen technology progresses it can always look better, just like PSVR still looks better than most 80s&90s tube tvs especially pressed up to your face.

Even with a pc from 30 years from now it can only display the max resolution of the screens it currently has so it could always be better.
Maybe 5+ years we get curved 4k screens and once something can output twice in 4K we won't be able to conceive anything much more clear than that.
Yup.

I think the tech is there now to be utilized. For VR a higher quality screen, FOV are pretty much it. The peripheral is plenty capable as it is right now. Maybe some slight improvements to tracking but it was very responsive in my test today.

Looking over at my gun turrets in EVE was convincing. I just loathed the controls.

Lemondish

I hope Sony people are reading this thread, because this sounds really unacceptable. Waiting an hour only to have a headset that is blurry? They've got to do more training on how to set up and maintain the demo units, because the whole thing is a waste if people come away with a poor experience.

I had no such experience. The Sony rep used special wipes to sanitize the parts of the device that touched your head, but used a normal screen microfibre cloth to clear those parts. The only issue I had was that my glasses fogged up quickly, but that's normal for this pair. I'm near sighted, so the next chance I get to test it without the glasses I will. After a few moments they cleared up (as they normally do).

I also tried Eve Valkyrie, and that alone sold me on VR. There were moments where I would get into the groove of flying as I would in any space sim, but then start tracking a target with my head to keep it in sight. Lots of folks talk about how immersive it was, but it definitely offers a new level of control in a game like this. Not something I've ever experienced before, and definitely elevated the run of the mill demo to something truly special.

Girlfriend played Eve as well. Likewise impressed. Preorder justified.

Soi-Fong

Is there any type of rumble tech that works with PS4(Chair a vest or anything)?
Thats one thing im going to really need on games like EVE and Ace Combat 7.

Is it just me or is the EVE pilot female?
Looked down and was like damn I have some skinny legs and hands.

More VR games need this imo.

It's a part of the story apparently that the Valkyrie Squadron is all female.

West Covina Best Buy
Eve Valkyrie

I found it very immersive but not exactly 3D, if that makes sense. I did not get a strong feeling of depth perception. That may be because I played it like a game: little looking around and instead concentrating on the action. Old habits die hard, I guess, since I'm not used to looking all around the cockpit when I play. Every now and then it would occur to me that I could look around and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Last week I saw a guy at my office with the oculus gear attached to his Samsung phone. He let me try it on and check out this poker game. The sense of perception there was astonishing. For what it's worth, I thought that the PSVR and the oculus headgear were both very comfortable and not cumbersome at all.

At this point I've gone from a certified skeptic to a cautious believer. I have no question about the hardware. Now it all depends on finding killer software. Give me that, and I am all in.

Soi-Fong

West Covina Best Buy
Eve Valkyrie

I found it very immersive but not exactly 3D, if that makes sense. I did not get a strong feeling of depth perception. That may be because I played it like a game: little looking around and instead concentrating on the action. Old habits die hard, I guess, since I'm not used to looking all around the cockpit when I play. Every now and then it would occur to me that I could look around and I thought it looked pretty cool.

Last week I saw a guy at my office with the oculus gear attached to his Samsung phone. He let me try it on and check out this poker game. The sense of perception there was astonishing. For what it's worth, I thought that the PSVR and the oculus headgear were both very comfortable and not cumbersome at all.

At this point I've gone from a certified skeptic to a cautious believer. I have no question about the hardware. Now it all depends on finding killer software. Give me that, and I am all in.

Not surprised about the perception of 3D in that instance. It's starting to be well understood in dev circles that the "3D-ness" of objects is most noticeable with object about 2-4 ft away from your view.

meanspartan

Tried it at a pasadena best buy, eve valkyrie.

I am impressed, and as my first ever VR experience, it absolutely proved the concept to me. Super cool.

....but. It isnt perfect. Perhaps to some extent it was my headset not being setup right, but it looked notably blurry/muddy. It needs to be much sharper than this to truly work as something id wanna play for hours.

Not sure at this point if ill keep my preorder, but, I still might. There is alot to love, but some that may still need work.

Dunno how many of you watched Mad Men, but there is a great scene that sums up my experience. Don makes a presentation to Conrad Hilton (based on the real person) and is shocked to find he doesnt love the ad campaign he made.

Conrad explains to him, "Your work is good Don, but when I say I want the moon I expect the moon".

I kinda felt like that today, minus the rich guy entitlement lol. While it was undeniably cool and proved VR can and will work down the line (maybe it already does on vive/oculus, which I havent tried) it wasnt quuuite "the moon" yet.

I wanted to rank this along with my first time seeing 3d games, hd games, etc. Instead, I got a promise that it might get to that level soon, but not today.

A nugget of positivity though- that part of the eve demo where you take off super fast outta the hangar? THAT was cool. And maybe I just need to try more than one (possibly out of focus) demo.

Anyway that is my .02 cents. Here is the mad men scene if anyone is interested-

https://youtu.be/H5LABKf4PQo

Feel free to ask questions too if you want :)

I am impressed, and as my first ever VR experience, it absolutely proved the concept to me. Super cool.

....but. It isnt perfect. Perhaps to some extent it was my headset not being setup right, but it looked notably blurry/muddy. It needs to be much sharper than this to truly work as something id wanna play for hours.

Not sure at this point if ill keep my preorder, but, I still might. There is alot to love, but some that may still need work.

Dunno how many of you watched Mad Men, but there is a great scene that sums up my experience. Don makes a presentation to Conrad Hilton (based on the real person) and is shocked to find he doesnt love the ad campaign he made.

Conrad explains to him, "Your work is good Don, but when I say I want the moon I expect the moon".

I kinda felt like that today, minus the rich guy entitlement lol. While it was undeniably cool and proved VR can and will work down the line (maybe it already does on vive/oculus, which I havent tried) it wasnt quuuite "the moon" yet.

I wanted to rank this along with my first time seeing 3d games, hd games, etc. Instead, I got a promise that it might get to that level soon, but not today.

A nugget of positivity though- that part of the eve demo where you take off super fast outta the hangar? THAT was cool. And maybe I just need to try more than one (possibly out of focus) demo.

I work right across the street from the Pasadena Best Buy! I wasn't even aware they had a PSVR demo station set up. I'll have to check it out on one of my breaks this week.

meanspartan

I work right across the street from the Pasadena Best Buy! I wasn't even aware they had a PSVR demo station set up. I'll have to check it out on one of my breaks this week.

Ya im not from there, but went in with my gf for unrelated shopping and was surprised to find it there haha.

Dunno if there are multiple best buys in pasadena- if so this one is on foothill near ross, togos, chipotle. Across from a pet store and near panda inn.

No idea how many days it is there for.

Ya im not from there, but went in with my gf for unrelated shopping and was surprised to find it there haha.

Dunno if there are multiple best buys in pasadena- if so this one is on foothill near ross, togos, chipotle. Across from a pet store and near panda inn.

No idea how many days it is there for.

Yeah that's the only one in Pasadena lol. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's still there.

Blurry / muddy means the headset wasn't on right. Happened to me the first time. You gotta adjust it until it's focused. You should try it again to see if it goes beyond your mad men scenario.

meanspartan

Blurry / muddy means the headset wasn't on right. Happened to me the first time. You gotta adjust it until it's focused. You should try it again to see if it goes beyond your mad men scenario.

I readjusted it as much as I could. Not sure how to change focus

I found that I had to grab the headset, adjust it to my vision, and then let the rep tighten it into place. It seems that people are reluctant to, or passively discouraged from, actually touching the VR headset. But for me it was the only way to make the vision correct.

....and yes, that take off sequence was fucking badass.

Well what is causing the blurriness? The screen or the lack of power in the hardware?
If a PSVR was hooked up to a super computer that came from 10 years in the future, would it still be blurry or could it conceivably be crystal clear because of the horse power it's hooked up to?
Don't forget about the lenses - they are just as important as the screen and the computing device when it comes to blurriness. The reason the Oculus Rift has a sharper picture with a larger "sweet spot" than both Vive and PSVR, for example, is due to its lenses more than anything else. Of course, with the Rift lenses also come the "god rays"/glare/whatever you want to call the effect, so no device is perfect yet. There are tradeoffs with everything.

Basically what I'm saying is, all three main bits combine to create the image quality; improving just one won't solve all problems. A more powerful computing device can render more pixels and then downscale, which with a VR headset updating its position at 90 or 120 native fps will allow more detail to be seen as you look around. A higher resolution display will also allow more detail to be seen (at the cost of requiring a higher-end computing device to push all those pixels of detail). And great lenses will focus the display to be sharp without distortion while still giving great FOV, while hiding the space between pixels (screen door effect).

I had no such experience. The Sony rep used special wipes to sanitize the parts of the device that touched your head, but used a normal screen microfibre cloth to clear those parts.

That's great to hear, but this thread has many people who are complaining about visual issues that sound more like a display with residue, or a misadjusted headset. So there's obviously some work that needs to be done to make it a great experience for everyone who tries it.

Keep in mind also that there are some actual Sony employees doing demos at locations, but there are also apparently plenty of outside people that they hired for this. I imagine the Sony employees are more on point.

meanspartan

Up and down on the headband as Sangetsu said, and there's also the possibility of residue from the cleaning / wiping that happens in between sessions.

Ah ok. I did adjust it as much as i couldnt physically on my head, but didnt notice any "sliders" for focus. Prob what im missing

Ill try it again when they bring one near me in San Diego. (Was just in pasadena this weekend)

Lemondish

That's great to hear, but this thread has many people who are complaining about visual issues that sound more like a display with residue, or a misadjusted headset. So there's obviously some work that needs to be done to make it a great experience for everyone who tries it.

Keep in mind also that there are some actual Sony employees doing demos at locations, but there are also apparently plenty of outside people that they hired for this. I imagine the Sony employees are more on point.

That's likely. The rep at mine was really thorough when it came time to explain how to adjust the set. I hope others are able to experience it the way I did.

I got to try this out earlier today at the Seattle - Northgate location. I was shocked that there was hardly any lines. I was able to demo 2 different games in about 30 minutes and watched a couple other people play also.

I came back a little bit later with my g/f and there was maybe 5 people in line, but they were setting up a second unit. The rep was cool but didn't spill any info aside from what we already know. He did say they are going to be demo'ing the unit every weekend between now and October and might be adding new demos like Arkham VR.

First I played Battle Zone (I believe that was the name) where you are in a tank shooting down wireframe/cel shaded enemies. Instantly I was blown away by how detailed the cockpit was. I literally said out loud "This is so cool" as I was looking around. I pushed the left stick up and down and watched as the levers in the cockpit also moved up and down with my input. The level of immersion is incredible.

Gameplay was good with precise tracking and really felt like it added a new layer to FPS games. It's like you truly are inside the game. At one point I tried spinning the camera a little too fast and felt a second of wooziness, but I adapted quickly and got a sense of how far to push it. I did notice the screen door effect others have mentioned, but if your not focusing on it then it was easy to forget about and not a distraction.

Next I tried the Soccer game Header where you use your head to push balls towards the goal. I was surprised by the humor they injected into this game. It's like Portal mixed with Soccer. I enjoyed it quite a bit but felt the timing was tough to nail down. I was being cautious in my head movements as I had people and banners around me. Alone in my house I would give myself space to make bigger movements. Overall I look forward to playing this game more and hopefully it includes online multiplayer.

My takeaway from PS VR is that I enjoyed the product immensely and had that WOW moment when I looked around and felt like I was in a living VR world. However, at $500 for the launch bundle that's a hard sell for me with the PS4K on the horizon. I already have a 4K TV so I'm definitely getting the Neo.

If the PS4K makes PS VR more powerful and noticeably better then I might just wait for the Neo before jumping in. Hopefully we get more info before this holiday season.

Damn it, no luck finding a demo unit in SF, and I made it back too late in Burbank to get to the Best Buy there. Was this the only weekend they were doing it? What about at Gamestop?

WoolyNinja

Damn it, no luck finding a demo unit in SF, and I made it back too late in Burbank to get to the Best Buy there. Was this the only weekend they were doing it? What about at Gamestop?

Read the OP - there's a link - you enter a zip code and it tells you where the demos will be

You got till December to try it out. They won't be leaving anytime soon and by the look of some posters here, they will be adding more demos down the line, I hope they put Hear They Lie. A horror demo would be nice to show people xD

Sounds Awesome.

So are the Eve demo players playing against each other?

Offline Bots

So, I went back today and asked my rep — former fitness instructor now working for Mosaic; friendly and outgoing, but not technical ;) — if they told her anything about how far the chair should be from the camera, and she was quite clear that the recommended distance was 4-5 feet, which is awfully close. I showed her my diagram and explained how we'd likely stop getting the tracking errors if we moved the chair such that the seatback was ~8 feet from the camera and she seemed to understand, but she wouldn't go for it. Apparently the stores want the entire display contained in a 10x10 area, and while we maybe could've at least improved things while saying in that footprint, she reiterated how it was currently set up exactly how they wanted it, and how her training was almost entirely about the booth layout, down to the prescribed gap between the banner and the poles that support it, etc. "Yeah, they didn't even tell us about the games. They said you guys were gamers and would figure all that stuff out, and here you are!! lol I really appreciate it too; I'd be totally lost without you guys…" Anyway, yeah, I paced off about six feet between the seatback and the camera, so I think tracking — especially of the controllers — would be a lot more solid if we were a couple feet further back.

Forgot I wanted to respond to these…
This actually breaks my heart.
GAF perspectives are largely comments from people coming from an enthusiast board that are already more knowledgeable than most, which is what the target market for an Oculus or Vive is anyway. The reception the other store's team has had so far is tremendously positive. People are really excited by the idea of something like this directly accessible with only a PS4. The reps themselves not being technically trained is probably due to the wide scale idea of what they're trying to do with it, get it to be an approachable technology that people are willing to try, rather than the deeper tech stuff.
It's surely not 'demoing very poorly".
I'm absolutely sure that even with a few critical testers (who probably already know about the whole thing in the first place) the overwhelming majority of them will go away from this very, very impressed. Same with the walk-by audience who just sees this thing at a glance.
Yeah, I don't want to give the impression that my rep is doing a bad job. On the contrary, she's doing a fine job. It's merely that I'm disappointed she's not doing the excellent job that someone more knowledgeable would do. I'd like to see VR succeed, so I want people to have the best demo experience they can. It may seem nitpicky, but something as simple as the placement of the headset can have a huge effect on the quality of the experience, and it's kind of a shame the rep had no idea. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that she's actually never used it herself.

So yeah, she was basically just plopping the headset on people's heads and saying, "How's that??" Invariably, the response was, "Umm, fine, I guess…," because what do they know? So I explained to her about the importance of getting the lenses directly in front of your eyes, and how users can look at text to ensure the headset is seated properly. I think it's helping; I've had several users give an, "Oh! That's better!"

I didn't mention it because I suspect the reps are instructed to "assist" users with donning the headset, but I really think the experience would be improved overall if instead they explained to users how to put it on, and gave them an eye chart to look at while they were doing their adjustments.

All that being said, Abdiel and Bufbaf are right, and I'm mostly being overly critical simply because I'm overly knowledgeable. lol While I lament my rep's inexperience, she was still a lot more knowledgeable than 95% of the people who came through her line, and didn't have any trouble answering their questions about the headset itself. She was even ready for questions about Neo, and indeed I saw a few people asking about it while eyeing the PS4 suspiciously. lol

The Shark Dive demon is Much better at selling the Concept of VR then Eve or even Battle zone(which was extremely fun BTW) I've see the Deep video on line dozens of times, but it's nothing compared to actually putting on the Headset and going through it yourself. Battle Zone, and Eve are much better "games" but the sense of presence I got from The Deep demo was off the charts.
Yes, I totally agree. Ocean Descent probably gives the strongest sense of presence. I think the diving cage helps a lot there. It's close enough to you that it gives a good sense of parallax as you lean side to side, which makes it seem very real and solid. At the same time, it obstructs your view enough that it actively encourages you to shift around and get a better look at the fish, triggering that parallax. Finally, because it's a completely passive experience, it gives you time to sit back and actually soak in the experience itself, without the distraction of trying to succeed at a game. I would say that normally The Heist would probably invoke an even stronger sense of presence with the addition of the Move wands and excellent use of positional audio, but once the shooting starts, it's understandably difficult to concentrate on anything but.

So yeah, everyone should do Ocean Descent in VR Worlds. Do it first.

Also, if it becomes misaligned to your head again, just hold the options button to center it.
That works in Valkyrie too (in addition to Battlezone)? Does it work in all PSVR games?

Check the link in the OP. My rep said they'd be going at least through January, FWIW.

Calibrating the headset is crucial. Imagine gaming for example, on a non calibrated out if the box tv straight from the store.

Puke.

DeathPeak

Tried it out today. This was my first time trying any kind of VR tech. Got there when the rep was starting to break the whole thing down (site said it'd be until 5:30, and I was in the store by about 5:00). He was rushing me through so he could get out of there. Wasn't the best experience. I didn't know I could adjust the focus, so I assume that's why the display wasn't great. My headset wasn't even on (or it was turned down), so I had to listen for the TV's speakers. Didn't get to choose which game to demo (unless different stores got different games to demo?). Played through Battle Zone, but I wanted to play EVE. It was alright, but not the "immersive" experience I was expecting. Hoping to try again next weekend.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can kind of imagine that PSVR is probably the one headset that won't have a gen 2 revision in the next 3 years.

I would probably wait for a second gen PC VR headset but for $400 I'm fine with a first gen PSVR.

I think it is quite likely to get a gen 2 in 3 years or just after the next console after neo.

So in the coming years do we think the PSVR can continue to be used going forward and it can just reap the benefits of future Playstation consoles to improve its VR experiences, or will the headset itself need to be upgraded?

Not sure what is more of a factor in the quality of the VR, the headset or the console.

I think there will be new headsets but Sony will continue to support this one. Like I expect vive/OR to be supported after they get new versions. May even continue to be sold at a lower entry price while the new one is $399?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not surprised about the perception of 3D in that instance. It's starting to be well understood in dev circles that the "3D-ness" of objects is most noticeable with object about 2-4 ft away from your view.

Wouldn't that be similar to real life? Stereoscopic effects drop off based on distance, as would parallax cues. I thin the relatively low pixel density contributes to that too - mid distance objects simply aren't that clear

Tactica

Neo Member
Some background:

I've tested HTC Vive and PSVR in their released versions and SDK2 of Oculus Rift.

PlayStation VR is the most comfortable headset of them all. It seems Sony has had a head start in to the ergonomics with their HMZ personal video player.

Screen door effect is visible if you really look for it on the PSVR, but compared to HTC Vive, it's better by quite a margin. On the HTC vive, the spaces between individual pixels is very visible. It's really hard to tell how much of an impact on the percieved quality HTC Vive's slightly higher panel resolution has. Better graphical fidelity from a hard core gaming pc really makes HTC Vive shine, so it would seem, that PSVR hardware is very competitive, it's the PS4's limited graphics that prevents it from competing graphically with the high end pc alternatives, but it is also a lot cheaper entry to true VR. PlayStation 4K/Neo will improve this small gap.

Motion tracking is extremely good on the PSVR (as it is on the HTC Vive). High frame rates are very important, and PSVR has it, but at a cost: less impressive graphics.

Games

The Deep
Good first demo for a total VR newbie. Passive, and very low entry. Impact of the demo diminishes after a couple of tries.

London Heist (desk and key)
Great hand tracking demo. Getting the phone call during intense interrogation is one of those cool VR moments that last. The desk part, where you search for the key really forces you to utilize head moving. One of my favourites.

London Heist (car chase)
Great demo, shows how fingerless hand tracking and dynamic object manipulation works without finger tracking. Powerfull VR moment when you open the passenger door and look behind. Also showcases how good the hand tracking is when you fire your SMG. Replay value is good.

RIGS
One of the more video game type demos. Replay value is infinite and the game seems good. Might cause motion sickness, since you move camera, mech and aim at the same time. My top 3 demo. High entry for the consumer. You need to be accustomed to dual stick shooters.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Top 3 demo and a full game experience. Basically a rail shooter with alternative routes to take, which increases replayability. Can be really scary for some, but that's because of the total immersion from darkness of oled screen and 3D audio.

Headmaster
Demo is very slow and can be boring at times. Good controllerless demo for low entry. Game play is good and showcases the perfect headtracking in 3D space.

Rez VR
Really trippy experience as you would expect from Rez. Demo is good, but as a VR demo it's for the connoisseur. Graphically not very next gen sexy. Might put some off because of the vector art style.

Job Simulator
One of my favorites, and one of the full games I'm looking forward to play. Fun, engaging and utilizes everything with dual Moves and headtracking.

TumbleVR
Seems simple, but it's a great puzzler. Manipulating objects in 3D space, when you have almost free camera with headtracking just works so good for this type of game. Day 1 buy for me.

EVE Valkyrie
Demo is fine, but as with RIGS has high entry. Controls are not the best, and camera can be misleading, but shows that there is a lot of potential in VR for space shooters.

Battlezone
Another seated vehicle experience. Free look combined with DualShock controlled aiming is hard for some testers. Demo is good, has replayability and the full game effect is there. Graphic style hides a lot of aliasing.

Robinson
One of the best looking demos so far. Movement is on rails, and the camera management is done by DualShock, and only has like set azimuths, which was a bit weird at first. Also uses Moves, but only when prompted.

Farpoint (with Aim Controller)
Definitely the best PSVR demo. Graphics are great and you have good freedom of movement, even though you are sort of on rails. Aim Controller tracked perfectly, and I loved how the reticule of the rifles holographic sights moved inside the holograph in relation of the rifle and your view.

Games

The Deep
Good first demo for a total VR newbie. Passive, and very low entry. Impact of the demo diminishes after a couple of tries.

London Heist (desk and key)
Great hand tracking demo. Getting the phone call during intense interrogation is one of those cool VR moments that last. The desk part, where you search for the key really forces you to utilize head moving. One of my favourites.

London Heist (car chase)
Great demo, shows how fingerless hand tracking and dynamic object manipulation works without finger tracking. Powerfull VR moment when you open the passenger door and look behind. Also showcases how good the hand tracking is when you fire your SMG. Replay value is good.

RIGS
One of the more video game type demos. Replay value is infinite and the game seems good. Might cause motion sickness, since you move camera, mech and aim at the same time. My top 3 demo. High entry for the consumer. You need to be accustomed to dual stick shooters.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Top 3 demo and a full game experience. Basically a rail shooter with alternative routes to take, which increases replayability. Can be really scary for some, but that's because of the total immersion from darkness of oled screen and 3D audio.

Headmaster
Demo is very slow and can be boring at times. Good controllerless demo for low entry. Game play is good and showcases the perfect headtracking in 3D space.

Rez VR
Really trippy experience as you would expect from Rez. Demo is good, but as a VR demo it's for the connoisseur. Graphically not very next gen sexy. Might put some off because of the vector art style.

Job Simulator
One of my favorites, and one of the full games I'm looking forward to play. Fun, engaging and utilizes everything with dual Moves and headtracking.

TumbleVR
Seems simple, but it's a great puzzler. Manipulating objects in 3D space, when you have almost free camera with headtracking just works so good for this type of game. Day 1 buy for me.

EVE Valkyrie
Demo is fine, but as with RIGS has high entry. Controls are not the best, and camera can be misleading, but shows that there is a lot of potential in VR for space shooters.

Battlezone
Another seated vehicle experience. Free look combined with DualShock controlled aiming is hard for some testers. Demo is good, has replayability and the full game effect is there. Graphic style hides a lot of aliasing.

Robinson
One of the best looking demos so far. Movement is on rails, and the camera management is done by DualShock, and only has like set azimuths, which was a bit weird at first. Also uses Moves, but only when prompted.

Farpoint (with Aim Controller)
Definitely the best PSVR demo. Graphics are great and you have good freedom of movement, even though you are sort of on rails. Aim Controller tracked perfectly, and I loved how the reticule of the rifles holographic sights moved inside the holograph in relation of the rifle and your view.

Best Impressions so far, thanks for giving us all impressions of demos from E3 did you by chance try Here They Lie?

Cobalt03

Did you use it with move or ds4? What about audio, i.e. Headset?

Tactica

Neo Member
I can only assume with a better set of 7.1 cans and properly setup lenses on the headset in a dimly lit room the experience will be much more convincing.

You are misinformed here. You cannot use surround headsets with PS VR. Nor can you use wireless headsets, like the Gold Wireless headset with PS VR.

Only headphones you can use are any normal stereo headphones with a 3,5 mm jack, which connects to the small control thing on the cord. PS VR's Processing unit provides 3D audio mix to any headphones, so there is no need for pseudo surround headphones, because you can actually turn your head and the audio will adapt in 360° space.

Also, I'd like to add, that the processing unit/break out box does not have anything to do with graphics processing. It only splits the hdmi signal to the headset and to the tv for the social screen. It should be obvious, since it's connected to the PS4 via USB, and that connector does not have anywhere near the bandwidth for an external GPU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You are misinformed here. You cannot use surround headsets with PS VR. Nor can you use wireless headsets, like the Gold Wireless headset with PS VR.

Only headphones you can use are any normal stereo headphones with a 3,5 mm jack, which connects to the small control thing on the cord. PS VR's Processing unit provides 3D audio mix to any headphones, so there is no need for pseudo surround headphones, because you can actually turn your head and the audio will adapt in 360° space.

Also, I'd like to add, that the processing unit/break out box does not have anything to do with graphics processing. It only splits the hdmi signal to the headset and to the tv for the social screen. It should be obvious, since it's connected to the PS4 via USB, and that connector does not have anywhere near the bandwidth for an external GPU.

I'm going to be pedantic because fuck it :p

The external processing box does *some* graphics processing - but you're right in the sense that it isn't a GPU or any kind of graphics accelerator.

It takes the pre-warped image for the headset and has to crop half of the image to get one eye, then unwarp it to get a 'normal' view that can be sent to the TV. I think it does this at 720p/30 rather than the 90/120Hz that the headset will be receiving. It also handles any second screen elements that may be used - eg in asymmetric games like that cat & mouse one, there is one image for the VR headset and another for the TV. The processing box handled routing the different TV image to the TV.

Not sure whether this second screen is sent via HDMI or USB - again I think its 720p/30 so possible over USB.

You can use the Golds or any surround headset since most always have an alt 3.5mm in

You won't be able to use dedicated surround from brands like astro but you can use thr Golds via the 3.5mm jack and cable that came with it. The breakout box is also "pseudo" surround.

Also, I have no idea who you are talking to in regards to your last paragraph - that's been known forever.

Tactica

Neo Member
I'm going to be pedantic because fuck it :p

The external processing box does *some* graphics processing - but you're right in the sense that it isn't a GPU or any kind of graphics accelerator.

It takes the pre-warped image for the headset and has to crop half of the image to get one eye, then unwarp it to get a 'normal' view that can be sent to the TV. I think it does this at 720p/30 rather than the 90/120Hz that the headset will be receiving. It also handles any second screen elements that may be used - eg in asymmetric games like that cat & mouse one, there is one image for the VR headset and another for the TV. The processing box handled routing the different TV image to the TV.

Not sure whether this second screen is sent via HDMI or USB - again I think its 720p/30 so possible over USB.

Yes, you detailed it even better. Second screen is sent via HDMI out of the PU.

You can use the Golds or any surround headset since most always have an alt 3.5mm in

You won't be able to use dedicated surround from brands like astro but you can use thr Golds via the 3.5mm jack and cable that came with it. The breakout box is also "pseudo" surround.

Also, I have no idea who you are talking to in regards to your last paragraph - that's been known forever.

You are correct. Just picked the 7.1 mention in your comment. You can use Golds or Astros if they have 3,5 mm jack, but you don't benefit from their own surround functionality.

PU box is actually better than the more common headphone surround sound, since it's 360°. Let's say if an airplane flies over you and you tilt your head so, that your ear is facing the sky, the audio space actually tilts too. Normal surround sound is usually mixed on a one single horizontal plane. The latest home theatre Dolby Atmos spec is also object based and it has height speakers in it's fullest setup, which comes close to 360° audio.

Here's something I don't understand. After trying out both the PS VR and the Vive, it really feels like the PS VR has a notably wider field of view, while the Vive feels like looking through a porthole. Anyone else have the same experience?

Does this give the impression that you are inside of the game, or does it just look like a 3D screen inside a box?

EVE felt like my pilot had a slightly dirty visor on.
Or that she has a prescription visor slightly off from my own prescription.

Though there was literally a smudge on the left from the cleaning so might just be that.

anyone have a vive that got to try this out? How is the comfort in comparison to the vive?

They had the demo at my best buy, and only 2 people ahead of me but I have VR and I didn't want to wait 30 minutes to just see how comfortable the thing was.

Still, positive impressions from the people who were playing. I think all the early talk that sony will be the one to break through might hold water

N30RYU

Robinson
One of the best looking demos so far. Movement is on rails, and the camera management is done by DualShock, and only has like set azimuths, which was a bit weird at first. Also uses Moves, but only when prompted

Robinson is on rails??? I have seen some gameplay and I have seen some ppl die 'cause they fell out of the plants while looking the surroundings... so doesn't seem on rails

Top Bottom