• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demo PlayStation VR at Select Best Buy Stores (Every weekend through December)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Expect resolutions closer to the display's native. Expect better or more AA, and perhaps slightly improved assets. Maybe it'll allow some games to run at a native 120fps

It can't fix issues that are tied to the headset's hardware limitations obviously, but perhaps those who are put off my the blurry image, will find a NEO mode, to be an acceptable improvement

It just made me realise that I'd like a second camera port on neo so you can (optionally) use two cameras for more robust tracking

ryan299

I'm pissed about this. The PS rep never showed up Friday at my best buy. They were supposed to do another demo today but now their website doesn't list my store.

njs15

Sounds like PSVR is demoing very poorly.

For what it's worth, I spent about 3 hours in a Best Buy in Los Angeles yesterday and the ~15 people who went through the line were all *blown away* by PSVR. Obviously there are going to be poor experiences and bad reps here and there, but from what I saw I'm willing to bet a lot more people are going to come away from their demo thinking it's amazing than not.

Tried SuperHyperCube - which is kind of a weird one to demo because you could potentially die pretty quickly - but it went from something I'd never heard of to something I'll definitely pick up at launch. Went around the line again and tried Eve. I was hesitant to demo it because by that point I had seen 10 people run through the same scenario and figured I'd be kind of bored doing the same thing, but it felt entirely different when you're in the headset and not just watching it on the screen.

Gurrry

GUYS!

I went and did this yesterday with my girlfriend. This was our first time trying any VR at all.

Holy shit. It was fucking amazing. I was blown away. I tried the Eve Valkerie demo and I legit felt like I was in Star wars or something. It was magical. I have been tempted to buy an HTC Vive ever since. I just keep going back to the store page and tempting myself by putting it in my cart and then not checking out.. lol.

I have to have VR now. This completely sold me on it.

I did see how the image is a little more blurry than I would have imagined, and it doesnt cover your entire peripheral. I thought this would be a major turn off for me, but after about 30 seconds, I didnt even notice it. My brain/eyes adjusted and I seriously felt completely emersed.

I had the biggest grin on my face the entire time. I couldnt stop smiling. It was truly an amazing experience. Even my girlfriend, who doesnt play a ton of games because it sometimes makes her sick, was able to do the entire ocean demo without feeling sick at all. She loved it and cant wait to do it again. So for anyone thinking it might make them sick, try it before you say that, cause I didnt feel weird whatsoever. I even TRIED to make myself sick by doing barrel rolls and moving my head a bunch, but nope. I was completely fine.

For anyone that has tried both the HTC and the PSVR, do you know if the resolution on the HTC is better/less blurry? The PSVR wasnt horrible or anything, but I would expect for 800 dollars for the the resolution to be slightly better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A tiny bit better but the PSVR sounds very solid due to great optics and low screen door (possibly better than oculus rift or vive). Honestly all three of the big headsets stretch their resolution so widely across your FoV that they are all really low res. You just have to look past that and accept it, and enjoy the other benefits. Eventually the resolution will improve in future generations.

I think it helps to try and think of it as a separate rather than inevitably comparing it to PS4 or PC games.

I'd love to learn how to become a regional PlayStation rep like the woman that did our demo in Alabama.
She was also in charge of the E3 experience here.

Happened to be at a best buy on the list today picking up ESO. Waited about 30 mins inline.

Build quality felt good.
Demo was the Valkyrie one. It was ok. The head movement was cool but it just didnt feel necessary.
The screen inside also wasnt as good as i was expecting.
I have the gear Vr and thought that was a better experience on some apps. But maybe the psvr wasnt adjusted correctly.....

I should have picked the cube game that seemed weird.

Also the rep was kind of a douche. For alot of people there this was their first time with vr and where blown away, when they asked if they could preorder or buy it he laughed and said no its sold out, and good luck. Just seemed counter productive. Also there was a 10 year old kid he turned away because he wasn't 12. Ive never seen someone so devastated.

Overall the experience was 6/10.

I wish they demoed RE7 or a game we could use the other motion controllers.

Lol, were you in Fort Lauderdale? I had the exact same experience with my rep.

Loved the demo, myself. I tried Battlezone, and the feeling of actually being in the cockpit blew me away.

I'm going to try to get to a demo on Wed. As someone who has never tried VR (unless you count what existed briefly in the 90s), which demo should I try out?

After trying it yesterday I really think Sony needs to go all out with this based on certain pillars.

Flight games
Driving games
Social games(ps Home, GTA online)
And competitive mp games

Try and get as many of those as they can and VR will have an established base for the future.
FPS will really just be a bonus till the future when bigger games(the CODs, Battlefields, etc) can fully support it.

I'm going to try to get to a demo on Wed. As someone who has never tried VR (unless you count what existed briefly in the 90s), which demo should I try out?
EVE

I haven't tried it (and won't try cause I'm not u the US) but I still have a pre-ordered scored from Amazon.

I have a question tho: realistically, what upgrades can we expect from running PSVR with the NEO? Can those problems almost everyone is reporting (IQ mostly, no super sampling, input lag on tracking) be solved by the Neo?

Thanks
I would expect a better framerate and possibly less input lag (due to the better framerate); I doubt you'd see better AA or image quality or anything. A high framerate though is VERY DAMN important in VR, so would be a very great thing. If the games run natively at 90fps instead of unconverted 60, it will be a much better, more solid, more realistic experience. And 120fps should be even better in theory (I've never tried 120). Even going from 60 to 75 on the old Oculus development kits, and then 75 to 90, made a nice difference.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm in a huge line. The guy that just took off the visor said "this shit lit". Is that good?

Blanquito

My SO tried "the deep". You could tell she was getting scared, but that said, she wished that her demo was more interactive, that she could control things or stuff like that.

I tried "battle zone". it was pretty cool to be sitting in the cockpit, looking at the controls, but the game only used the controller (not move wands) so I couldn't interact with anything in there. Even then, there were a couple of times I just wanted to reach out my hand and try to touch the controls in the cockpit. The game itself was ok, and I'm not sure that being in VR really added to the game itself all that much.

In the end, my feelings are the following: PSVR is amazing -- no sickness, fast reaction time, screen looked great to me. The games, however, really need to be made for VR in order to really come away with a truly great experience. Games that happen to be made with VR in mind (like battlezone) are good if you already have PSVR, but certainly didn't give me a reason to buy a PSVR. I really, really want to play a game that uses the move wands, where my hands are out there in the virtual world and I can reach and grab things, and see how that experience is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm in a huge line. The guy that just took off the visor said "this shit lit". Is that good?

qcGE5wU.png

Y2Kev

Well he clarified after that it was dope so it's good then.

Can't decide what to try. Shark tank seems like it would be most immersive. But not a game.

My bestbuy had no line yesterday and I tried most of the demos. Eve was awesome but I thought a little blurry. Turns out his wipes left residue when they dried. He cleaned them again and then I did the battletank one and it was much sharper and clearer. That game was awesome. The shark game was cool and looked really good. No heist.

While the picture quality wasn't as sharp as it was on the tv, I found that it still looked great. My wife tried it after me and she loved it as well.

I don't have a rift, but I have used a friends quite a bit. And while the image quality was not as good, it was close enough that I didn't find it distracting. Frame rate was steady and motion tracking was spot on. I got a little carried away on battletanks and made myself a little dizzy lol.

xRaizen

oops. forgot about this. so people with glasses, was it as comfortable?
I wear glasses, and yeah it was comfortable. The headset can slide forward and back so you can fit it with glasses. No problem whatsoever.

Though I don't know about those with the larger frames.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Can't decide what to try. Shark tank seems like it would be most immersive. But not a game.

Shark tank will give you a feel for the immersion, 3D, sense of presence maybe. Also things invading your personal space in VR always ilicits a physical response from me.

If you do shark tank, ask if you can stand - heard others doing it sitting down and that just sounds wrong

Triz

I think the immersive non games are a better test of VR personally.

Wow. I just played Eve Valkyrie and Battlezone and holy shit I'm so impressed.

As for the headset itself, it was amazingly comfortable (as everyone else has said). The picture is noticeably low resolution but it doesn't matter. It really doesn't. Because when you're in VR, you're so immersed that you quickly forget that it doesn't look absolutely amazing. (It shouldn't look blurry at all so make sure you adjust the headset up and down, as well as lock it in place with the slider in the back to get a clear image)

Coming from a Google Cardboard, this shit was next level. The head tracking was extremely precise and the framerate was sooo smooth. Also, seeing my controller rendered in real time right in front of me in Battlezone was incredible! That and positional tracking really sealed the deal for me. Being able to lean in to the gauges and radars in Eve and Battlezone was awesome and increased immersion.

By the end of both demos, I was so immersed that I forgot where I was. (Side note: everyone should opt to play Battlezone instead of Eve. It's a lot more fun and immersive.)

VR is going to change the game. I've never believed this so strongly.

Eve was awesome but I thought a little blurry. Turns out his wipes left residue when they dried. He cleaned them again and then I did the battletank one and it was much sharper and clearer.

That was my only issue really, a small smudge on the left was throwing the entire thing off at first but thankfully my eyes adjusted and could eventually see much better.
2nd time she cleaned it much better.

Toki767

What choices do you have? If they have it, I highly recommend RIGS, The Kitchen, or Rez Infinite.

Ashtar

Never posted my impressions from last week
The headset is super comfortable feels like wearing nothing at all!
Played a brief demo of Eve when they were first adjusting my headset it was a little blurry but by the time I jetted out I didn't even notice anymore or my eyes fixed, the demo it self was actually pretty good except I didn't realize how to use by boosters until like 2 minutes in, I think it'll be a fun game.
Definitely a fun experience if you have a chance I'd recommend it.
I won't be buying one until at least a year out if support keeps up and their are actual killer app games.

Slashlen

Just got back from BB. Thoughts:

Strictly as a piece of hardware, I am sold on PSVR. I found the headset to be very comfortable, and my demo was slightly longer than normal because I was the first of the day and they were having some audio problems. It also works just fine with my glasses, and I wear big glasses. This was a huge concern for me with VR in general and PSVR worked just fine with it. The image quality of the screen could be better, but I thought it was fine. I didn't find it jarring or immersion-breaking or anything like that.

I picked EVE Valkyrie for the demo, and just to be clear: I was terrible at it. I spent half the demo trying to figure out what everything does. Looking around the cockpit was great though, and I was starting to get used to looking around instead of trying to turn the ship to see by the end of it. I feel like I need a couple more runs to give a real impression on it though.

Overall, it's just a matter of software for me at this point. I am convinced that VR works and can be immersive and fun. I'd love to try this with that Resident Evil 7 E3 demo. I'm just not sure how much good software will be out immediately for this thing. That wasn't something that was going to be solved with this demo though, so I would say the demo was a huge success with me.

Z3M0G

Any official word on Canadian locations yet? There is only one BB in my entire province so im hoping that is a good thing.

One major take away from this thread is if people someday get PSVR headset working on a high end PC, this will be the best scenario. Neo will definitely make a big difference for those who care.

I would be happy with regular PS4 for some time im sure.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Never posted my impressions from last week
The headset is super comfortable feels like wearing nothing at all!
Played a brief demo of Eve when they were first adjusting my headset it was a little blurry but by the time I jetted out I didn't even notice anymore or my eyes fixed, the demo it self was actually pretty good except I didn't realize how to use by boosters until like 2 minutes in, I think it'll be a fun game.
Definitely a fun experience if you have a chance I'd recommend it.
I won't be buying one until at least a year out if support keeps up and their are actual killer app games.
I didn't even figure out how to use the boosters trying to press every button. Which was it?

Soi-Fong

Good to see nice impressions on here! I'm hoping Sony keeps doing this till launch as VR really has to be tried to "get it."

I honestly think Oculus and Vive have done a bad job of this as I've never seen them demo'd anywhere close to the scale Sony is doing.

lt519

Just went, Syracuse location. Had an actual PS Employee. He said there were about 150 third party employees and 80 PS Employees running this.

Also said to come back frequently as they told him they'll be having new demos throughout the summer.

There were a grand total of three people there playing and by the time I was done the line was empty, could have kept playing he said but I had my wife waiting outside.

Impressions:
-Very comfortable, but did cause me to sweat. This thing could get nasty if not cleaned after every play session. Light enough that I didn't even notice it.
-Definitely want a good pair of head phones, once I started I couldn't hear a single thing from the outside which was cool
-I played Battlezone, very underwhelmed with the Software. Game was pretty crappy but the immersion in the cockpit was really cool. Using your head as the look stick works really well. Text was fuzzy. Just way too tech demo-y.

Saw a girl play the ocean immersion one and it looked really cool but nothing beyond a tech demo. She freaked a couple times and thought she was going to fall out of her chair during some jump moments haha.

I actually came away from the whole thing impressed with the hardware but it's very clear they don't have the software yet. I'll go back best week to try EVE considering there was no line. But they'll have to prove out a few full fledged games if I'm going to keep my pre-order (and I don't like Horror).

He said Until Dawn will have VR DLC.

lt519

Eve looks super boring so I think I'll do the tanks.

Just did it, I'd recommend not to, it's neat, but not fun. Or do it and I'd be curious if your impressions. I would have done shark tank but girl in front of me had just done it.

Y2Kev

Just did it, I'd recommend not to, it's neat, but not fun. Or do it and I'd be curious if your impressions. I would have done shark tank but girl in front of me had just done it.
They all look super boring honestly lol

lt519

Battlezone works real well as a cockpit game. In Eve though, it's pretty cool to see your body rendered inside though.

That's the thing, it works. But it's not fun. The concept and hardware are great but seemingly so far the demo software doesn't make me want to spend $400 on this thing + cost of nice set of headphones which I'm now realizing are a must. The gameplay felt like something straight out of the early N64 days and not in a good way.

Trace

Banned
That's the thing, it works. But it's not fun. The concept and hardware are great but seemingly so far the demo software doesn't make me want to spend $400 on this thing + cost of nice set of headphones which I'm now realizing are a must. The gameplay felt like something straight out of the early N64 days and not in a good way.

I'm surprised that with stuff like the Star Wars VR and Arkham VR things out there that they decided to demo weaker stuff we've already seen.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I got to try it out yesterday in Phoenix. Was 4th in line about 15 min before they were supposed to start. About a 20 min wait once they started going. I think 6 people were in line after I finished, so I could have gone again in about a hour if I waited around.

I played the battle zone (tank) demo and found it pretty fun. Nothing revolutionary, but made good use of the 3d I felt.

Don't usually get dizzy or nauseous, but by the end of the demo, I was feeling a little off, don't know if I would want to play a game with a lot of movement for longer than a half hour at a time.

Everyone here is right about how comfortable the headset is. Felt really nice and I had no issues whipping my head back and forth except for the cables coming off it. Was a little distracting feeling then tapping me every time I moved my head.

I thought the screen was really nice, but can understand some people's gripes about the "screen door" effect. I didn't think it was bad at all and didn't really notice it while playing.

Being a glasses wearing individual I didn't find the fov bad at all, so I think those complaints are a little unjustified.

I liked it a lot and want to play again but I doubt I will be an early adopter considering that it still felt like a novelty instead of a game-changing experience.

Soi-Fong

Battlezone gameplay wise is pretty simple, but I think they got the execution right. As for "fun," I think that's really up to the person playing. Many people before me who tried it out were loving and you can tell from reactions and just them grinning like crazy.

You're right though that software will dictate how well PSVR will do, but I'm not worried about that from Sony. VR has already shown that it's here to stay and is not just a fad, but genuinely enhances games.

Out of Oculus, HTC and Sony, I'd bet my money on PSVR getting the most developer support as it's the cheapest yet it provides an experience that matches and sometimes exceeds the two PC headsets(especially in terms of comfort).

Right now, devs are having a hard time developing for this medium as the userbase is just not there. The highest "selling" VR experience per SteamSpy is The Lab which was made by Valve and is free and you can see just under 200k owners for it. Games like Hover Junkers which is an amazing VR experience has not even broken 30k sales.

We devs still have to earn money and that's hard right now on PC-based headsets and hell even, on Gear VR.

PSVR has a potential userbase of 40,000,000 players. Even 1% PSVR's sold (and I'm expecting them to sell more than that) would be huge for devs as there will finally be a good userbase to develop for and a userbase that will actually buy content.

Top Bottom