• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

ZeroAKA

What's the best way to get Muramasa? I've found Big Muramasa at
God's Eden
two times already with Nameless + Gold + Gold + Increase 2, but the normal one just won't drop.

Volcynika

What's the best way to get Muramasa? I've found Big Muramasa at
God's Eden
two times already with Nameless + Gold + Gold + Increase 2, but the normal one just won't drop.

I actually got the Muramasa with that gem combination the third battle in that area. D: The big one dropped when I was trying to get the
items for Fran's post-game quest

ZeroAKA

I actually got the Muramasa with that gem combination the third battle in that area. D: The big one dropped when I was trying to get the
items for Fran's post-game quest
Can I go back to
God's Eden
to farm equipment again after beating
Quasar
, or is there an even better place?

frogg609

Can someone explain what everything means on the Equip screen? I've read the help but it still doesn't make sense.

Ex: I have a short sword. It says S 26X 1. What does that mean?

Also, what do the icons to the right of this stand for?

Final question, what level do you need t be to defeat Mars? I'm level 3 and died to her. I also died in the swamp pretty easily.

Thank you much for answering my beginner questions.

Can someone explain what everything means on the Equip screen? I've read the help but it still doesn't make sense.

Ex: I have a short sword. It says S 26X 1. What does that mean?

Also, what do the icons to the right of this stand for?

Final question, what level do you need t be to defeat Mars? I'm level 3 and died to her. I also died in the swamp pretty easily.

Thank you much for answering my beginner questions.

S is it's range, meaning short. M means medium and basically says how far that weapon can hit.

26 is the weapon's strength.

x 1 is the number of hits.

I assume the icons are the G, F, P, etc which means what classes can equip it.

For Mars, I would say grinding enough money for a 3rd character (either a paladin or a healer) will make it a lot easier.

frogg609

S is it's range, meaning short. M means medium and basically says how far that weapon can hit.

26 is the weapon's strength.

x 1 is the number of hits.

I assume the icons are the G, F, P, etc which means what classes can equip it.

For Mars, I would say grinding enough money for a 3rd character (either a paladin or a healer) will make it a lot easier.

Wonderful, thank you so much!

Shengar

Just finished with the game. The last boss is a breeze, thanks to the broken nature of Chronos+Mars+Neptune, but I'm glad it was easy because the fucking intro before the battle is too long even when you hold circle button. All devs every event and cutscene skippable especially if they're designed their game to be challenging and score based. Seeing the same scene for every retry would just worsen your temper.

Anyway, the game really give me nice experience along those 37 hours of gameplay time. I'm not really sure what makes it exactly good since it's my first gridder (and the 4th dungeon wcrawler), but the battle system is sucked me in. I guess it's because the importance of buff-debuff in the game? The lack of revival spell helps a lot to keep player on the edge since one member down, and its screwed for you. I never really got into dungeon design, so I can't comment much about them.

For other part, mainly art, music, and story, I guess they are all acceptable. While the artstyle isn't to my taste, it's still good, and pretty. Demons design, especially the ten, is nice and I also like the robotic touch to them. Though apart from the demon, I can't exactly pleased by the design of the enemy except for few. Then the music for me is decent at the very least. Sometimes its hits the mood the right and makes the game more enjoyable. Last, the story isn't exactly anywhere special, but it at least apart from some fanservice and inuenndo stuffs, is decent, and not cringeworthy. To be honest, some moment in the caught me in surprise. That's enough for me to make the game enjoyable.

Closing words, the game is really solid on the gameplay mechanic, and if it can be a very enjoyable experience if you able to ignore the fanservice (and *huff *huff), which isn't that many (well I guess not for the latter). I'm really looking forward for another game from this developer.

If I have to put a number, I give it 7/10.

Well, time for SSD now I guess :p

mothball

Wonderful, thank you so much!

Don't forget to remove any leather gear you might have on; it (and anything else with the Earth label) is weak to fire.

You might also want to just rush her down. I killed the demon after Mars and it was a lengthy cycle of attacking and healing. Then I went back for Mars and she hit way harder, but died way faster too.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ah found it, so re-upping the pic with all 3 together.
u16n5Px.png

I never looked into if the Xth series made it over to the US. Hmm dont think it did.

For those not familiar these were titles originally done by parts of the what is now Experience Inc. So semi-related to this thread lol. Would be more fitting if I made a thread about Meikyu Crossblood Infinity though and threw this in there. As this series is what became the Generation Xth series which is what Crossblood is a part of.

Keep your fingers crossed that the west gets Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss. Hopefully Demon Gaze sold well enough to tell Exp. Inc. to bring over other titles with their chosen partners in the West. Though truthfully hope they stick with a single one to keep quality stable.

CrovaxPSO

Ah found it, so re-upping the pic with all 3 together.
u16n5Px.png

I never looked into if the Xth series made it over to the US. Hmm dont think it did.

For those not familiar these were titles originally done by parts of the what is now Experience Inc. So semi-related to this thread lol. Would be more fitting if I made a thread about Meikyu Crossblood Infinity though and threw this in there. As this series is what became the Generation Xth series which is what Crossblood is a part of.

Keep your fingers crossed that the west gets Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss. Hopefully Demon Gaze sold well enough to tell Exp. Inc. to bring over other titles with their chosen partners in the West. Though truthfully hope they stick with a single one to keep quality stable.

Those are awesome covers. If Demon Gaze did well enough for Experience and/or NISA to be interested in localizing more games, I'm sure Operation Abyss would be next. That leaves plenty of time before the Vita version of Stranger, since I doubt NISA would bother with the 360 or PC versions.

On a kind of related note, I should be getting Moero Chronicle early next week. Hoping the dungeon crawling is solid.

Parakeetman

Those are awesome covers. If Demon Gaze did well enough for Experience and/or NISA to be interested in localizing more games, I'm sure Operation Abyss would be next. That leaves plenty of time before the Vita version of Stranger, since I doubt NISA would bother with the 360 or PC versions.

On a kind of related note, I should be getting Moero Chronicle early next week. Hoping the dungeon crawling is solid.

Minus the weird touch mechanics you should look into Dungeon Travelers 2 for the PSP which works on the PSV. That game is a solid wizardry type of dungeon crawler, regardless of the outside appearance. Has some tough boss fights too, good dungeons also.

Mononoke

Banned
I feel really dumb asking this. But randomly, my second party member can only defend. The attack option is greyed out, and she can't use her special skills either (Samurai class). I have no idea what I did. I'm going to guess I've auto set a party tactic or something? I have no idea it's doing this.

Hmmm. On a good note, I've put 15 + hours into this. I'm really loving this game.

I feel really dumb asking this. But randomly, my second party member can only defend. The attack option is greyed out, and she can't use her special skills either (Samurai class). I have no idea what I did. I'm going to guess I've auto set a party tactic or something? I have no idea it's doing this.

Hmmm. On a good note, I've put 15 + hours into this. I'm really loving this game.
It sounds like your Samurai is in the back row with a short range weapon.

Pbae

So I just got Uranus and was going to grab Pluto but her final spot doesn't spawn. I cleared the area earlier prior to going to Uranus' dungeon. Could I have possibly broken my game?

Volcynika

So I just got Uranus and was going to grab Pluto but her final spot doesn't spawn. I cleared the area earlier prior to going to Uranus' dungeon. Could I have possibly broken my game?

Did you open the way to her spawn?
Secret area and such?

Mononoke

Banned
So, I was wondering. I heard that Agility below 25 means you get a penalty (reduced damage) with your second hand weapon. I'm just starting out in the game, but I have both my Gazer and Samurai with a weapon in each arm. Should I be leveling up Agility then? I mean, isn't it a moot point to only focus on strength?

I know you shouldn't focus on just one stat regardless. But early on, I needed my attacks higher when I fought the demons (so far, I've slayed 2 + the hydra), so I'm not doing too bad. Basically, on the short gain, I've been trying to boost my attacks. But I'm wondering if I should be focusing on Agility more so than strength.

I know for Gazer, I think I read the focus should be more on VIT and AGI if your party is more attack based, since you will be summoning Demons. And Samurai is Strength/Agility/Vitality.

BASICALLY: Does Agility strengthen my second hand weapons damage (just wanted to confirm that). And should I be focusing a bit more on it early on in the game than Strength (or should I just balance it and put one in each every other level up, so switch back and forth between the two).

Reached
Quasar
, proceeded to spend half an hour not doing damage to him all while he failed to damage me. Reset after it became clear the fight was going nowhere. Tried again and had the same result. Any tips?
My characters are all level 37, am I just a bit too underleveled? Paladin, Samurai, Ranger, Healer and I've been using Mars, Uranus and Chronos. I'm not really sure what I should be doing for this boss.

Pbae

So, I was wondering. I heard that Agility below 25 means you get a penalty (reduced damage) with your second hand weapon. I'm just starting out in the game, but I have both my Gazer and Samurai with a weapon in each arm. Should I be leveling up Agility then? I mean, isn't it a moot point to only focus on strength?

I know you shouldn't focus on just one stat regardless. But early on, I needed my attacks higher when I fought the demons (so far, I've slayed 2 + the hydra), so I'm not doing too bad. Basically, on the short gain, I've been trying to boost my attacks. But I'm wondering if I should be focusing on Agility more so than strength.

I know for Gazer, I think I read the focus should be more on VIT and AGI if your party is more attack based, since you will be summoning Demons. And Samurai is Strength/Agility/Vitality.

BASICALLY: Does Agility strengthen my second hand weapons damage (just wanted to confirm that). And should I be focusing a bit more on it early on in the game than Strength (or should I just balance it and put one in each every other level up, so switch back and forth between the two).

I think it's like a percentile disadvantage in terms of damage output for your left hand if your agility is under 25. At 25 agility, you can the maximum amount of damage output and can then choose to spend points in other areas if you want more power over speed.

Uthred

Fair bit into the game now, enjoying it but I wish it was a bit more difficult, the early game is fine but it seems a lot of the midgame consists of "Hold Triangle". I'd prefer less and tougher battles.

Mononoke

Banned
Another thing, why can't a spear (which is Long) reach if you are in the back? What is the point of "long" then? I feel really dumb. Because everything was going perfectly. But now, my attacks aren't hitting with my Gazer. In my left hand I have throwing stars, so those connect. But my right hand Spear won't connect.

And I currently can't have my Demon Gazer in the front, because then my Samurai won't be able to attack (I guess because she has short weapons)? I was using beefed up axes in each hand (that do 100 damage each). The samurai is destroying. But all in the matter of an hour, I've fucked everything up.

SO, what weapons should I be using with Gazer?

Pbae

Another thing, why can't a spear (which is Long) reach if you are in the back? What is the point of "long" then? I feel really dumb. Because everything was going perfectly. But now, my attacks aren't hitting with my Gazer. In my left hand I have throwing stars, so those connect. But my right hand Spear won't connect.

And I currently can't have my Demon Gazer in the front, because then my Samurai won't be able to attack (I guess because she has short weapons)? All in the matter of an hour, I've fucked everything up.

SO, what weapons should I be using with Gazer?

Well, it depends.

You should only be dual wielding if your a Samurai class or have the Dual Wield Artifact which is one of the first three artifacts you can get.

In terms of which weapon choice it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Sword is a good all around weapon while a katana is more geared toward critical hits.
Heavy weapon have consistent higher damage but most sacrifice hit and protection.

My gazer has a dual wield set as well as a nice shield if I think the fight is going to need me to play defensive.

Also, upgrade your weapons until you find a weapon that is a class up.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, it depends.

You should only be dual wielding if your a Samurai class or have the Dual Wield Artifact which is one of the first three artifacts you can get.

In terms of which weapon choice it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Sword is a good all around weapon while a katana is more geared toward critical hits.
Heavy weapon have consistent higher damage but most sacrifice hit and protection.

My gazer has a dual wield set as well as a nice shield if I think the fight is going to need me to play defensive.

Also, upgrade your weapons until you find a weapon that is a class up.

Well shit. I didn't get the dual wield artifact. I got Divine Body, Rush Attack, Magic Weapon and Shadow Step.

So I guess I better switch to a 2H weapon? Or are you saying if I switch to 1H spear and 1H shield the attacks will reach?

Pbae

The attack will not reach regardless.

The only attacks that reach are going to be magic, bows, and items.

There are however skills that will allow you to attack from the back such as Astro Force that maximizes the distance your attacks can travel regardless of the weapon used. But that isn't until mid-late game.

Parakeetman

Well shit. I didn't get the dual wield artifact. I got Divine Body, Rush Attack, Magic Weapon and Shadow Step.

So I guess I better switch to a 2H weapon? Or are you saying if I switch to 1H spear and 1H shield the attacks will reach?

Seriously if you want to use melee weapons dont stick your character in the back row...

Mononoke

Banned
Seriously if you want to use melee weapons dont stick your character in the back row...

I'm not that bright (clearly) when it comes to this game. I switched to a bow that is doing 100 each time so I'm good.

Now I'm getting wrecked by Hermes. He seems to be dodging all my attacks. Am I too far in the game to only have a 2 person party? (Gazer/Samurai)? I have Comet/Chronos/Mars.

Things were going smooth up till about 18 hours in. This past couple of hours has been rough. Oh I'm level 14.

Mononoke

Banned
Yes. Yes. Yes. Go buy more party members.

Go buy nameless gems and then use them on portals, sell the unneeded proceeds. Rinse and repeat until you have the money.

I appreciate the help. I'll be honest, I've never been that skilled of a gamer (especially when it comes to dungeon crawlers). I was proud that I got through Sin Megami Tensei IV on my own. I just think with this game, I need to read up on how all the stats/system works. I went in blindly without really paying attention. So I apologize if I'm annoying.

LAST question.

I have a Gazer/Samurai. What would you guys recommend for the next 2 people in my party? I know that answer can depend on various factors (like artifacts and play style). In terms of Artifacts I only have:

Rush Attack
Shadow Step
Divine Body
Magic Weapon
Killer Edge

I also have like 40 nameless gems, and $30,000. I'll go spam those now.

Verelios

I appreciate the help. I'll be honest, I've never been that skilled of a gamer (especially when it comes to dungeon crawlers). I was proud that I got through Sin Megami Tensei IV on my own. I just think with this game, I need to read up on how all the stats/system works. I went in blindly without really paying attention. So I apologize if I'm annoying.

LAST question.

I have a Gazer/Samurai. What would you guys recommend for the next 2 people in my party? I know that answer can depend on various factors (like artifacts and play style). In terms of Artifacts I only have:

Rush Attack
Shadow Step
Divine Body
Magic Weapon
Killer Edge

I also have like 40 nameless gems, and $30,000. I'll go spam those now.
Highly suggest either a Paladin or Healer. Healer for some great buffs at an early level, divine shield at 12 or so, and Paladin to have a high VIT tank.

Tanking in this game is awesome. I'm 6 demons in and the only ones who really messed my game up were Hermes with his speed and Ast. They both killed my Paladin and from there it was a race to the finish.

Hermes is unnaturally difficult due to his high SPD and changing formation.

Mononoke

Banned
Highly suggest either a Paladin or Healer. Healer for some great buffs at an early level, divine shield at 12 or so, and Paladin to have a high VIT tank.

Tanking in this game is awesome. I'm 6 demons in and the only ones who really messed my game up were Hermes with his speed and Ast. They both killed my Paladin and from there it was a race to the finish.

Hermes is unnaturally difficult due to his high SPD and changing formation.

Damn, okay. Thanks for the heads up. Hermes was wrecking my day with just two people (his speed/evasion/messing up my order). Paladin sounds like a good idea, since I definitely need to tank.

So when you get a new character, they start you at level 1? Is it just going back to all the old places and grinding till they get boosted up?

Damn, okay. Thanks for the heads up. Hermes was wrecking my day with just two people (his speed/evasion/messing up my order). Paladin sounds like a good idea, since I definitely need to tank.

So when you get a new character, they start you at level 1? Is it just going back to all the old places and grinding till they get boosted up?

If you're having a hard time against the enemies in the area you're in, or they're hitting you with a lot of multi-row damage spells, you may want to go back. Otherwise, just put your new character in the back row and they'll level up pretty quick. Never had a problem doing so.

Mononoke

Banned
If you're having a hard time against the enemies in the area you're in, or they're hitting you with a lot of multi-row damage spells, you may want to go back. Otherwise, just put your new character in the back row and they'll level up pretty quick. Never had a problem doing so.

Great advice, I'll do that.

Parakeetman

Great advice, I'll do that.

Party size most def is an issue. Pretty crazy not to have a full party by now truthfully lol.

Yeah follow the advice about sticking them in the back row to get em some levels quick and just pray that they dont get hit

Mononoke

Banned
Party size most def is an issue. Pretty crazy not to have a full party by now truthfully lol.

Yeah follow the advice about sticking them in the back row to get em some levels quick and just pray that they dont get hit

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I know. :(

Thing is, I didn't want to rent out any more rooms until I absolutely had to. Was told by some folks that it was a mistake to do so early on (because of the rent). However, waiting this long was definitely stupid.

kyoakuma

Banned
So im a few hours into the game, i just got to the forest and my party has my gazer, wizard, pally and healer. my gazer has been pumping str, anything i need to put into it other than str?

Parakeetman

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I know. :(

Thing is, I didn't want to rent out any more rooms until I absolutely had to. Was told by some folks that it was a mistake to do so early on (because of the rent). However, waiting this long was definitely stupid.

You shouldnt have listened to them lol. you can make a bunch of money faster by having a full party and just stomping everything.

So im a few hours into the game, i just got to the forest and my party has my gazer, wizard, pally and healer. my gazer has been pumping str, anything i need to put into it other than str?

Agi for when you get a dual wield artifact and the later bane skills. 25 is OK, maxed is better.

And done! My first platinum trophy! :D
Had a ton of fun with this game. Truly a pleasure throughout.

Oh, are there any changes in NG+ or is it just an opportunity to play through the game again?

v1perz53

I bought this back when it came out and played a bit, but took a break to finish 100% Spelunky and play some Totori. Started playing again yesterday, and some of the systems are a bit confusing. Is there a resource that explains some of the games systems or do I just have to dig on my own? Like, I'm not fully sure what each stat does, besides some DW penalty with agi less than 25, and it seems the "defend" command does nothing if you are slower than the opponent? Also, I was using the circles in Mars' place getting messages like "mars controls x more circles", so I figured I had to finish all those then fight her. But on my like 4th circle she showed up and wrecked me, I was still around level 3. Then some gazer memos by another random circle said "beware of mars", but I got some random enemies. Is the circle she pops up in random, or should I grind without touching circles for a while? God, sorry for being such a noob, hard to find info online about some of these niche japanese localizations.

Top Bottom