• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Grinchy

Banned
Man, this game is quite the looker. This is just a random screenshot, no photo mode or anything.

oIJv5TG.jpg

This one is photomode, and my buddy must have told me a joke I didn't like or something.

5DBUq8s.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played knight the first time around and was kind of bored doing that again so I made a caster instead. Having a lot of fun playing that. It feels a whole lots easier though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finished off world 2 tonight. man, the area before the Dragon God looks incredible!

also i fought the Leechmonger. it was hard to look at that thing during the intro cutscene!

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bumping this for visibility now that it's more relevant than ever

I did a small refresher with a where-to-go-and-when guide. Might as well share it, although this isn't really for beginners but more for fans who remembers a lot (and this helps a little).

5.png
MvPE1w.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
Royal class is easy mode and Temple Knight is hard mode? TK have no ranged attack and have the slowest rolling mechanics?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I would say overall if you are melee fighter the game is much harder.

I concur...

I used Knight back then in the original game...

Mind you im still new with the game in 2009...that was my first souls game...

Fighting Flamelurker and ManEater with that....

Man what a pain in the ass that was....

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I concur...

I used Knight back then in the original game...

Mind you im still new with the game in 2009...that was my first souls game...

Fighting Flamelurker and ManEater with that....

Man what a pain in the ass that was....
I recently beat Old King and that was very tough fight for me, his attacks hits really hard, so I ditched my Shield and my armour and just used Wing Spear. The key to the fight was not be close to him because his mid range attacks are fast and deadly, so stayed far away from him and let him come to me so I can dodge and punish him.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is absolutely stunning in performance mode and jaw-dropping in Cinematic mode. I don’t want to say it’s the best looking game I’ve played so early on, but it’s up there for sure.

Oh boy. im a total souls newbie and I chose knight. I deliberately haven’t checked any guides or any help videos because I want to figure it all out for myself. I got one shotted by the first demon which I think is supposed to happen.

Now Ive died at least 30 times in the first area but I think I’m slowly getting the hang of things. Uggg I kept pressing square to attack and kept eating my leaves because I just finished playing miles.

Game is hard and I see some people saying magic is easy mode and wonder if I should restart and try a caster for my first run. I dunno though I just love the look of the flute armour. I dunno how I’m ever going to get thousands of souls though I keep dying and losing all my souls.

I wonder about remakes leaving in some jank from the original to be truthful to the original game. Sometimes I feel like remakes should go full ff7 path and just remake the general ideas but build in modern mechanics. I guess that’s always going to be a delicate balance.

I just (early early game stuff here)
rescued some knight who thanked me by giving me a binocular
and continually find those armoured guys very difficult to defeat. It seems there are no checkpoints and you’re always off to the very beginning of the map when you die is this right? Are there sort of fast travel points within certain areas? I can’t remember what its called but the sword looking thing stuck in the ground is that a travel point?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Game is hard and I see some people saying magic is easy mode and wonder if I should restart and try a caster for my first run. I dunno though I just love the look of the flute armour. I dunno how I’m ever going to get thousands of souls though I keep dying and losing all my souls.

I haven't really played a lot of high strength builds in these games where you wear a bunch of heavy armor and use giant weapons. But I almost wonder if that makes it harder since you can't really dodge and quickly strike. I guess it lets you block a ton of stuff, though. If you ever thought of starting over, maybe try the thief class (and build it up as a Dexterity class) before magic and see if you like being nimble. I'm not saying it'll suddenly be easy, but it's fun as hell.

If you can get consistent with the timing for dodging and even parrying, you can get away with a lot.

I just (early early game stuff here)
rescued some knight who thanked me by giving me a binocular
and continually find those armoured guys very difficult to defeat. It seems there are no checkpoints and you’re always off to the very beginning of the map when you die is this right? Are there sort of fast travel points within certain areas? I can’t remember what its called but the sword looking thing stuck in the ground is that a travel point?

There are shortcuts you can unlock. Once you defeat the boss, you'll get an archstone (the sword thingy) to start at if you want to go further in the level. However, unlike Dark Souls you don't have any "checkpoint" like bonfires to start at if you die, you just start at the archstone. The first shortcut is rather early, saving you a lot of stress going through the first part up to the wall. After that it's just a matter of knowing which way to go, which would make for a short run to get to the second "shortcut" (I say "shortcut", because last time I checked, once you've found it you've unlocked the boss, making it pointless as a shortcut, unless you are going back to the level sometime later to explore). Then there's the boss and you're done with 1-1 and the game will get "easier" I'd say, especially as you get the ability to choose levels and lots more. The beginning is pretty tough for beginners in Demon's Souls.

So just hang on. Find that shortcut if you haven't. If you have, then you just need to know where to go. Either be cautious and methodical or even a bit more reckless and run past enemies. Whatever you do, pay attention and learn. It's not that far until the boss is unlocked.

Last edited:
I actually don't feel magic per-se is easy mode, it's the ranged advantage. You can do the same thing with a bow, and since arrows are cheap and spice is expensive (or time consuming), I'd say the Bow is even easier than spells are.

It's not nearly as satisfying to stand on a ledge and arrow the Tower Knight to death, but it's a whole lot easier since you can not die.

And unlike magic you can feel free to cheese the enemies on the way to the boss with the bow, because again Arrows are cheap.

I actually don't feel magic per-se is easy mode, it's the ranged advantage. You can do the same thing with a bow, and since arrows are cheap and spice is expensive (or time consuming), I'd say the Bow is even easier than spells are.

It's not nearly as satisfying to stand on a ledge and arrow the Tower Knight to death, but it's a whole lot easier since you can not die.

And unlike magic you can feel free to cheese the enemies on the way to the boss with the bow, because again Arrows are cheap.

With Royalty you get a free mana regen ring. So it's technically way cheaper than arrows if you take your time. Not that it matters, as you get enough Souls for expense to not matter. More so, damage scaling and all just makes magic really powerful. I remember gathering up all the various magic attack increasing items and things got pretty ridiculous with Soul Ray and Homing Soul Arrow. More so, a lot of bosses won't have a way to cheese them with arrows, but they have a way of being cakewalks with magic. Homing Soul Arrow and dodging just eats through Penetrator, False King Allant or just about any more physical fight..

Antelope

I always go quality but I picked the Claymore and I just feel like smashing things with that overhead swing. Downside is I’m broke and out of healing for tower knight. Not a hard fight, I just spammed all my items first time as I was learning his moves and almost got him down. Now I’m in hollow form and begging for grass. Getting memories of blood vial farming in BB.

Is faith workable in this game? I started as a Temple Knight. I like to go the paladin route, but I know faith is pretty hit or miss in Souls games.

Last edited:

Valonquar

NG+ Maneaters are a bit of a trial... Finishing up 2nd run through doing pure black world tendancy, and dying a lot in the process. I did a full regen build: Regen ring, +5 abjucator shield, and + 5 blessed mirdan hammer + Regen miracle: 37 HP regen per second. Made 1st playthough a breeze, though took a bit to farm the fragments from 5-2 and the colorless demon souls. Now to finish up trophies in NG++, then delevel with king and start owning people as monk. I got in one monk fight that lasted nearly 30 minutes with a random player. I could see them getting mad frustrated with my regen.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Can someone tell me are there two cameras settings? I heard somewhere that you can choose either the original one or the new one (closer to the character, the one we saw in first two trailers)?

Also - what else you can configure? I know there is no helmet option. Any other cool stuff?

Can someone tell me are there two cameras settings? I heard somewhere that you can choose either the original one or the new one (closer to the character, the one we saw in first two trailers)?

Also - what else you can configure? I know there is no helmet option. Any other cool stuff?
I haven't found any option that explicitly states "classic camera", but setting the camera to "manual" seems to give me the old camera whereas "chase" is the new version.

As far as I know, the "hide helmet" feature, visual filters, and character slots are new things worth playing around with.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How do I resist the urge not to look up what to do? I have beaten Dark Souls 1 & 3, and Bloodbourne, but usually I use a guide to get started.
You start playing and have fun exploring and shit. Game is pretty straightforward if you don't worry about min maxing stats and getting the best possible gear, just playing and making do with what you find organically, it's not too hard.

Last edited:
How do I resist the urge not to look up what to do? I have beaten Dark Souls 1 & 3, and Bloodbourne, but usually I use a guide to get started.

No need. The fun of Demon's Souls are the levels and exploration. Having played DS1&3+BB, there's very little challenge in terms of bosses, meaning all you need to do is focus on progressing in the levels, finding shortcuts, so you can easily progress to the boss in case of death.
It's all very straight forward. You'll get told what to do and the world/level design is linear. Start will be tough, but it'll likely be easy enough for a Souls-veteran. Once you beat the first boss, it'll be apparent and exploration will be the name of the game. So resist.

I don't feel any shame looking up a build guide, but I wouldn't want to spoil how to beat a boss since it seems most of them are puzzle based. Exploration is also one of the highlights of the game so there's no sense in robbing yourself of the feeling of discovery.

Also it turns out my dexterity build will be sporting the Uchigatana as usual lol.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
NG+ Maneaters are a bit of a trial... Finishing up 2nd run through doing pure black world tendancy, and dying a lot in the process. I did a full regen build: Regen ring, +5 abjucator shield, and + 5 blessed mirdan hammer + Regen miracle: 37 HP regen per second. Made 1st playthough a breeze, though took a bit to farm the fragments from 5-2 and the colorless demon souls. Now to finish up trophies in NG++, then delevel with king and start owning people as monk. I got in one monk fight that lasted nearly 30 minutes with a random player. I could see them getting mad frustrated with my regen.

This is what im looking at doing. Any tips? Did you suicide run to get the hammer early doors?

Whats the easiest farming method you had for fragments?

Whats the easiest way of farming for colourless demon souls? The best levels/quickest methods to turn black?

Are bosses always much larger than regular enemies? There is a guy in a bridge who I just can’t get past yet. He’s kicking my ass with two hits.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Are bosses always much larger than regular enemies? There is a guy in a bridge who I just can’t get past yet. He’s kicking my ass with two hits.
they will have a giant health bar on the bottom of the screen if they are a boss. otherwise, standard enemy.

you might be fighting a blue/red eyed knight.

Last edited:

If it has red eyes? Then you should probably avoid him for now, unless you're up for a challenge. You've gone the wrong way at least as it's a dead end. If it has blue eyes? Keep a shield up when predicting an attack (and down to regain stamina) and strafe around to his back and do a light attack for a nice backstab. You should've met one in the tutorial.
Can't remember any of them on a bridge on 1-1 though. You're probably on top of the wall/battlement, with catapults and some enemies, I would imagine. I assume you've opened the shortcut?
It's on the opposite way of where you walked if towards if you faced a red eyed knight, going down the stairs from the tower. To progress further, you just go in the doorway near the blue eyed knight, where you must've gone through a fog door earlier before you found Ostrava.

they will have a giant health bar on the bottom of the screen if they are a boss. otherwise, standard enemy.

you might be fighting a blue/red eyed knight.

If it has red eyes? Then you should probably avoid him for now, unless you're up for a challenge. You've gone the wrong way at least as it's a dead end. If it has blue eyes? Keep a shield up when predicting an attack (and down to regain stamina) and strafe around to his back and do a light attack for a nice backstab. You should've met one in the tutorial.
Can't remember any of them on a bridge on 1-1 though. You're probably on top of the wall/battlement, with catapults and some enemies, I would imagine. I assume you've opened the shortcut?
It's on the opposite way of where you walked if towards if you faced a red eyed knight, going down the stairs from the tower. To progress further, you just go in the doorway near the blue eyed knight, where you must've gone through a fog door earlier before you found Ostrava.

thanks guys it was the red eyes guy giving me trouble I’ll skip him for now. I still struggle with the blue guys but I can beat those.
loving the game so far the fast loading really does eliminate the frustration for me. It is really a rewarding thing to start feeling like you’re getting it.

Is there a way back to the nexus without beating the first demon?

Is my game the only one the crashes everytime I try to talk to the blue phantom sitting in the nexus?

It works for me sorry.

Last edited:
Should I be saving the demon's souls I get for something later, or using them for souls? I only have two (phalanx and tower knight) since I got destroyed by the gray dude in the beginning.

Danjin44

Should I be saving the demon's souls I get for something later, or using them for souls? I only have two (phalanx and tower knight) since I got destroyed by the gray dude in the beginning.
Keep them, later on you can use them to get new spells and craft new weapons, for me I'm melee fighter so I have no use for magic, so used some of the boss souls that used to make spells.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
always save the boss souls in From games. usually you can trade them in for unique spells/items. ditto here.

Dragon God boss fight last night.... i gotta say, i don't hate it! once i figured out how to get past the first area, it was smooth sailing. plus his design was just incredible. the look of his whole area was fantastic. the entrance before him looked so amazing.

btw, anyone know of a way to quickly/easily kill those giant lava bears in the 2-3 caves? i keep wasting tons of fresh spice going through my soul arrow and soul rays. wish there was a better way...

Last edited:
thanks guys it was the red eyes guy giving me trouble I’ll skip him for now. I still struggle with the blue guys but I can beat those.
loving the game so far the fast loading really does eliminate the frustration for me. It is really a rewarding thing to start feeling like you’re getting it.

Is there a way back to the nexus without beating the first demon?

A while since I played DeS (remake still not released here), but last time I checked there should be an archstone where you started the level. Just using that should get you back to the Nexus I think, if you need to repair or put something in storage. However, you need to beat the boss in your current level to open up the rest of the archstones.

Please update us on our progress. Original DeS was filled with people detailing their progress and their struggles, with some coming with advice to help each other along the way. Looking forward to your future victory. Take a victory picture in photo mode once you've done it. :messenger_grinning:(y)

I remember now why I disliked Flamelurker so so much. One of his attacks is to leap directly above you, and as far as I can tell the sole purpose of this attack is to screw your camera up so hard that you'll roll in the wrong way and promptly die. You can remove lock-on, but that's just a whole new level of annoyance. I've had him below 10% health three times now, and everytime I die in exactly this way.

Danjin44

I remember now why I disliked Flamelurker so so much. One of his attacks is to leap directly above you, and as far as I can tell the sole purpose of this attack is to screw your camera up so hard that you'll roll in the wrong way and promptly die. You can remove lock-on, but that's just a whole new level of annoyance. I've had him below 10% health three times now, and everytime I die in exactly this way.
When he does his jump attack run forward and you will end up behind him and you can get some nice 1-2 hits. Also my advice is to get the purple shield and fight defensively with him. If you know his attack animation and range you can keep your distance without need of dodge rolling and you can whiff punish after his attack.

Last edited:

Okamiden

Last time I played Demon's Souls 10 years ago. This will be quite a trip by the memory lane. What is some of the fun builds you guys can recommend me?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So this is cool TIL you can quickly scroll through your different pieces of armor while looking at any one piece of equipment by hitting left and right on the d pad. Makes it super fast to change armor sets.

He's out of bounds trying to reach the new door item.

Christ he was RIGHT AT IT, but there's a clipwall blocking him rolling into the little yard with the item lol

egAkBFl.png

ZX1KRHN.png

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There are multiple places you can shoot him with arrows where the ledge will block his return fire.
that's cool. yeah during the Armor Spider boss fight i found a spot where i could hide and shoot him and never get hit (except i had to run away during the oil attack).

i think From leaves in a lot of things like this, little ways you can gank certain bosses and enemies, on purpose.

Top Bottom