• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

I actually deleted the game at one point and put it on eBay then woke up the next day and was like 'fuck this, I'm killing this spider.' Glad I stuck with it
Same for me, but I "quit" even sooner. I couldn't even beat Phalanx at first. (Which I realize is sad.) Told myself I was done and I was going to trade it in. But then I powered through and glad I did.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
warding totally rules i highly recommend it. even on NG+ gargoyle fight it nerfs their phys damage hardcore.

ive gotten into a bad habit. well it is a time saver! but it's also kind of cheating =)

if you find yourself dying during a boss fight, you can hit the PS button then close out the game, and if you do it before YOU DIED goes away, when you reload the game, you will be outside the boss door, full health bar, ready for a retry. ever since i (accidentally) stumbled upon this, i have to do it every boss fight now lol.

tbh its a good way to save a lot of stress during regular play as well, if you are making progress and end up dying.

Last edited:

Arthimura

For people who says magic is cheating. From my experience in DeS and the rest of the series, magic is good to kill bosses and some stronger foes, but it doesn't scale so well into NG+ and beyond.

A lot of mobs kill you in one hit if you are a pure mage, for level exploration a melee build does much better.

warding totally rules i highly recommend it. even on NG+ gargoyle fight it nerfs their phys damage hardcore.

ive gotten into a bad habit. well it is a time saver! but it's also kind of cheating =)

if you find yourself dying during a boss fight, you can hit the PS button then close out the game, and if you do it before YOU DIED goes away, when you reload the game, you will be outside the boss door, full health bar, ready for a retry. ever since i (accidentally) stumbled upon this, i have to do it every boss fight now lol.

tbh its a good way to save a lot of stress during regular play as well, if you are making progress and end up dying.
This is basically the same of using savestate.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Did it! Finally beat a Souls game. Lucky I invested a bit into magic because I'd never have defeated Old King Allant with just melee.

Any suggestions for which one I should revisit next? I remember Dark Souls III being the easiest?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'd never have defeated Old King Allant with just melee.
Once you know his attack pattern, his easy to deal with. in fact you can control what attack he does based on how close or far you are to him. Just be far away from him and let him use his dash attack, you can easily dodge that and punish him.

I would say his much easier to beat than Maneaters, because with Maneater its so random how the AI acts, sometime it decides not to land and just does his air magic attacks until the second guy shows up.

Ar¢tos

You can just exit the game via game menu and reload, does the same thing without having to close the game completely.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Did it! Finally beat a Souls game. Lucky I invested a bit into magic because I'd never have defeated Old King Allant with just melee.

Any suggestions for which one I should revisit next? I remember Dark Souls III being the easiest?
Why switch Souls games so quickly? You've barely experienced Demon's Souls. Try out other builds, invading, helping other players, challenge runs, etc.

Whatever you choose, you should play them in order of release (although Bloodborne and DS3 as an exception).

Kokoloko85

Just finished it.
Didn’t want it to end...
Amazing game as usual for a Miyazaki Souls Game. Fantastic job by Bluepoint.

Now I can get back to normal life and maybe play either Ghosts of Tsushima or Days gone. Astro Bot and Cod
Or I might go back For new game + more likely

Last edited:

ne1butu

I’m at that stage when the game just ‘clicks’ for me, and I just can’t stop playing. Just beat 3-1 Boss which was a breeze. What’s the next best area to go now?

MrS

Banned

Dark Souls 3 is certainly not the easiest, Dark Souls is. Play that first. Skip 2 because it's garbage. Play Bloodborne. Play DS3. Play Sekiro. Play Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 and you're gucci.

Ar¢tos

Dark Souls 3 is certainly not the easiest, Dark Souls is. Play that first. Skip 2 because it's garbage. Play Bloodborne. Play DS3. Play Sekiro. Play Nioh 1 and Nioh 2 and you're gucci.
We all know that 2 is vastly inferior, but it still has a few good moments, and being cheap there is no reason not to try it. With the DLCs it has 20-30h of gameplay.
You just need to ignore the shitty level design in some areas, the terrible enemy placement, the gank squad bosses and gank squad ambushes, the infinite poise and infinite stamina enemies, soul memory, convoluted lore, etc.

Reactions: MrS

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it took me a good almost 10 hours, but I've finally beat the Flamelurker boss in 2-1! I used my soul arrow for the first 3/4 of his health bar and just jumped / rolled / dodged out of his way when he was attacking. I had some grass I used when I got hit and that worked well (thanks to farming the end of 1-2). Once I ran out of mana, I went in swinging with my Crescent Falchion which is now +4. He finally died but it was pretty touch and go.

What should I take on next? 3-2 (swamp?)?

Antelope

Dark Souls 2 has the Majula music, best ‘firelink/nexus” music in the entire series. It’s also still much better than any souls-like. I have mixed feelings about Nioh. Way too much loot and all the levels look identical. Combat was fun.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So it took me a good almost 10 hours, but I've finally beat the Flamelurker boss in 2-1! I used my soul arrow for the first 3/4 of his health bar and just jumped / rolled / dodged out of his way when he was attacking. I had some grass I used when I got hit and that worked well (thanks to farming the end of 1-2). Once I ran out of mana, I went in swinging with my Crescent Falchion which is now +4. He finally died but it was pretty touch and go.

Jesus 10 hours? I wouldve rage quit the game.

3-2 isnt swamp. thats 5-2. Flamelurker is 2-2. Spider boss is 2-1.

I would suggest 5-1 or 3-1 but turn in the boss soul to the weapon smith in 2-1 so you can start making boss soul weapons.

Chiggs

Gold Member
We all know that 2 is vastly inferior, but it still has a few good moments, and being cheap there is no reason not to try it. With the DLCs it has 20-30h of gameplay.
You just need to ignore the shitty level design in some areas, the terrible enemy placement, the gank squad bosses and gank squad ambushes, the infinite poise and infinite stamina enemies, soul memory, convoluted lore, etc.

It's arguably the best DLC in the entire series, too. Brume Tower says hi.

Roufianos

Why switch Souls games so quickly? You've barely experienced Demon's Souls. Try out other builds, invading, helping other players, challenge runs, etc.

Whatever you choose, you should play them in order of release (although Bloodborne and DS3 as an exception).

Thanks, yea I'm gonna try NG+ at the very least.

Cheers, yea I actually beat Nioh. Clicked with me in a way that the FROM games never did until now, dunno why.

aclar00

I don't know if this works for dying at bosses, specifically, but you can save scum by simply closing the game and returning to the PS5 home screen the moment you die. As long as you do it before the screen fades to black, you should be fine.
That SSD though? Gotta be quick with the trigger, no?

TheUsual

Gold Member
It's more than just "not obvious", it's also got some broken AI in there. There are places you can stand which cause him to breathe fire no where near you for example, and some pillars don't actually provide cover at the size it appears they do. One pillar in particular on the bottom floor is much narrower than it appears to be, and I died while standing behind it dozens of times (so far).
Yeah, that was very frustrating to me. If you have soul arrow and a good amount of spices: you can blast them with the soul arrow then run right through (but make safe pauses so you don't get one-shotted)

johntown

Banned
I think helping other players does not help towards White Character Tendency. Only killing invaders and Black Phantom NPCs.
If you being the phantom strike the killing blow on an invading black phantom I think that counts. I should be able to confirm if helping kill the end boss counts. I thought it used to in the PS3 version but that was a long time ago too.

SLESS

For people who says magic is cheating. From my experience in DeS and the rest of the series, magic is good to kill bosses and some stronger foes, but it doesn't scale so well into NG+ and beyond.

A lot of mobs kill you in one hit if you are a pure mage, for level exploration a melee build does much better.

This is basically the same of using savestate.

Agree, I rolled mage to check things out initially. Now I’ve started a Priest for Moonlight Sword - regen goodness. I find melee in boss fights is more fun too!

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
Guys, are you having trouble invading other players? Whenever I try to invade, it fails. I don't like that mechanic. But, as a trophy is worth ...

TheUsual

Gold Member
Guys, are you having trouble invading other players? Whenever I try to invade, it fails. I don't like that mechanic. But, as a trophy is worth ...
Are you talking about the Unwelcome Guest trophy? If so, I placed a summon sign outside of the Maneater fog gate and would get summoned as a black phantom for the old monk fight. That's where I got my trophy.

Last edited:

2AdEPT

Surely I can't be the only one who had so much remorse in killing the 4-4 boss :(
YOu mean 4-3? Yeah I guess, except they are pesky and annoying creatures. Most people have more regrets aout the 5 world end boss. Actually, the lore from selen vinland and the vendor lady is pretty clear that they are liers and destroying the area, so no, I didnt feel guilty at all in either case. It should tip people off that something was not right with them when they have baby fetuses in their pit down there. Its even worse in dark souls when they try to give you a guilt trip in painted world, "our land is peaceful" ...yeah right, there are raven people that will pluck your eyes out and skellies that roll and do bleed damge to you ...real peaceful. I kill all souls enemies with free conscience...NPC's are different.
I think helping other players does not help towards White Character Tendency. Only killing invaders and Black Phantom NPCs.
Rigth but you can help others by killing a black phantom in their world...I can confirm it still counts toward your own character tendency making it whiter. I was even ganked by a host that purposely had his friend invade him for the sole purpose of farming blues (me). Taught that black phantom a lesson even after he got a free shot from around the corner LOL, the host didnt know what to do so he sent me home lol.

Last edited:
YOu mean 4-3? Yeah I guess, except they are pesky and annoying creatures. Most people have more regrets aout the 5 world end boss. Actually, the lore from selen vinland and the vendor lady is pretty clear that they are liers and destroying the area, so no, I didnt feel guilty at all in either case. It should tip people off that something was not right with them when they have baby fetuses in their pit down there. Its even worse in dark souls when they try to give you a guilt trip in painted world, "our land is peaceful" ...yeah right, there are raven people that will pluck your eyes out and skellies that roll and do bleed damge to you ...real peaceful. I kill all souls enemies with free conscience...NPC's are different.
Rigth but you can help others by killing a black phantom in their world...I can confirm it still counts toward your own character tendency making it whiter. I was even ganked by a host that purposely had his friend invade him for the sole purpose of farming blues (me). Taught that black phantom a lesson even after he got a free shot from around the corner LOL, the host didnt know what to do so he sent me home lol.

Oh yes, i corrected my original post, i meant the 5 world end boss. I felt so sorry for her :(

SlimySnake

Thanks, yea I'm gonna try NG+ at the very least.

Cheers, yea I actually beat Nioh. Clicked with me in a way that the FROM games never did until now, dunno why.
Nioh's combat is so fucking smooth it's not even a fair comparison. Only bloodborne comes close but the weapons in nioh are just so much more fun to use. I love slashing and cutting enemies everywhere.

Antelope

Agree, I rolled mage to check things out initially. Now I’ve started a Priest for Moonlight Sword - regen goodness. I find melee in boss fights is more fun too!

Don’t sleep on the Mirdan hammer. It is lethal, and if you get it blessed, with an adjudicator shield and regen ring....who needs grasses?

FunkMiller

10 hours? Bloody hell, I would have summoned long before then.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but have a technical question on installing Demon's Souls, just got it. I have the disc and it installed 33.15gb off of the disc and started downloading and extra 20gb or so. I started the game and then couldn't go through the first door in the nexus because it said it wasn't installed yet. Took forever for the update to download, longer than usual for some reason. When I looked again, download had disappeared and my total file size on my SSD is still 33.15gb, but I seem to be able to load that first door now. I read the size was supposed to be 60gb or something, so I'm wondering if my install got wanked up, and I don't have the game installed properly?

ABnormal

About that, a friend of mine summoned a random player for help with a boss, but after that random player did the most of the job, after beating the boss the game sent back my friend as they never took down the boss. Is it normal?

I'll ask a simpler question. What is your Demon's Souls install size on your SSD? Perhaps specify digital or disc version as well. Thanks!

MDSLKTR

Anybody else enjoying archery in this one? I find it way less janky and the dualsense implementation is smooth. Totally doing a bow and arrow build.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but have a technical question on installing Demon's Souls, just got it. I have the disc and it installed 33.15gb off of the disc and started downloading and extra 20gb or so. I started the game and then couldn't go through the first door in the nexus because it said it wasn't installed yet. Took forever for the update to download, longer than usual for some reason. When I looked again, download had disappeared and my total file size on my SSD is still 33.15gb, but I seem to be able to load that first door now. I read the size was supposed to be 60gb or something, so I'm wondering if my install got wanked up, and I don't have the game installed properly?
For some reason some of the PS5 screens only show the "basic storage" of a game installed from disc. The full Demon's Souls install is 52.9 GB, but some screens will only show you the 33.15 GB like you are seeing.

I do not have any disc installs on my PS5 to look it up, but I believe somewhere between Storage, start->Information, and start->Manage Game Content you can actually see the full install size.

EDIT: one note, 52.9 includes the pre-order content I received, I don't know if the file size is slightly different with a different preorder/method of purchase.

Last edited:
For some reason some of the PS5 screens only show the "basic storage" of a game installed from disc. The full Demon's Souls install is 52.9 GB, but some screens will only show you the 33.15 GB like you are seeing.

I do not have any disc installs on my PS5 to look it up, but I believe somewhere between Storage, start->Information, and start->Manage Game Content you can actually see the full install size.

EDIT: one note, 52.9 includes the pre-order content I received, I don't know if the file size is slightly different with a different preorder/method of purchase.
Thanks. Yeah the only place it shows full size is in "Manage Game Content". It shows the language data and is 52.85 for English(US). Pretty weird, but I guess its all fine. I wouldn't have even thought about it, if it didn't take like 5 hours to install, which was very odd. Miles Morales took about 30 minutes to install off of the disc.

SlimySnake

Don’t sleep on the Mirdan hammer. It is lethal, and if you get it blessed, with an adjudicator shield and regen ring....who needs grasses?
Don't forget the regeneration spell. It's hilarious how quickly you heel up.

The only problem is that you have to upgrade both the weapon and shield and both colorless souls and faintstones are hard to come by.

Also for some reason, second chance blocks out the healing spell.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Anybody else enjoying archery in this one? I find it way less janky and the dualsense implementation is smooth. Totally doing a bow and arrow build.

Yes, I think the haptics and the triggers are pretty cool in Demon's Souls. I like this much better than just pressing the button to draw and shoot like it did in the past with other controllers. I also like how you can abort a shot just by simply slowly releasing the trigger from your full draw. Nice!

Yes, I think the haptics and the triggers are pretty cool in Demon's Souls. I like this much better than just pressing the button to draw and shoot like it did in the past with other controllers. I also like how you can abort a shot just by simply slowly releasing the trigger from your full draw. Nice!

The haptic are subtle but it really adds to the experience, you certainly notice when they aren't there because I went back to earlier Souls games and ended up wishing there was some kind of haptic feedback.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well that 10 hours was spent in various other levels too - leveling up (souls level 48), saving st. urbain and getting the regeneration spell, grinding shards and souls for my weapon and leveling them up, etc.

And also just getting to know the level, which path to take, where the monsters are that sort of thing. I feel like some of ya'll that have played this game before (and other Souls-like games) take a lot of this stuff for granted. I also feel like I'm generally just not that great at this game.

Grinchy

Banned
Well that 10 hours was spent in various other levels too - leveling up (souls level 48), saving st. urbain and getting the regeneration spell, grinding shards and souls for my weapon and leveling them up, etc.

And also just getting to know the level, which path to take, where the monsters are that sort of thing. I feel like some of ya'll that have played this game before (and other Souls-like games) take a lot of this stuff for granted. I also feel like I'm generally just not that great at this game.
I think spending the time to beat it yourself is way better than just summoning to have someone else do it for you. The struggle is what makes the win rewarding.

And now that you've gone through it, if you make another character, you'll probably have no trouble with him at all.

it definitely was easy at first but some late game enemies like garl vinland, its like I'm pelting him with feathers. Add in the fact I'm constantly burning through spice, just not my thing

found a melee build on ps3 was easier than magic on ps5.
I myself do a mage/melee bybrid with cresent weapon. Use soul ray for dangerous enemy and up close and personal when out of mp since cresent weapon have mp regen

RAL1992

Quick question, still loving the game but a friend of mine, who is playing alongside me for the first time said that the optimal set up for pure mage is crescent falchion/catalyst and kris blade/catalyst, so your casts are bound to l1 using no form of shield... is the youtuber he's watched talking out of his arse or do they have a point ?

SCB3

Man this game does not like Rest mode, I tried it earlier and in 2-1 and 3-1 today I came back from rest mode and had really bad frame drops when re entering the game, closing and loading the game solved this but both times caused the PS5 to soft crash

Man this game does not like Rest mode, I tried it earlier and in 2-1 and 3-1 today I came back from rest mode and had really bad frame drops when re entering the game, closing and loading the game solved this but both times caused the PS5 to soft crash
I don't think this is rest mode per se, although it could be a catalyst. Around Thanksgiving I was doing little but playing PS5, and I noticed every time I switched away from Demon's Souls to do something else and then switched back it would get more and more framy, and that's without ever going in to Rest mode at all. Seems more like a Demon's Souls problem than a Rest mode problem to me.

Top Bottom