• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

ZeroRay

Gave this as a birthday present to a friend the other day and played a bit. Still better than Dark Souls.

The open nature of Dark Souls works against it unfortunately. None of the areas are as well designed as anything in Demon's Souls (except world 5, I guess).

Replaying this; if there was one thing i did not like about Demon's Souls, it was the crystal lizards. It is bad enough to chase one down (throwing aside all sense of caution just to kill it), but only 4 spawns for each game? That is some bs.

Sullichin

Actually got into the swing of things when I picked this up again-

Beat:
1-1
1-2
2-1
2-2 (beat flamelurker on my first try!)
3-1
4-1 (with two phantoms, that was awesome)

Just forged the meat cleaver and farmed the reaper in 4-2 for a bit to get the stat requirements. I noticed evacuate was dimmed out, and I knew that must mean I was about to get invaded. And I did, and I was killed with poison arrows :(. I wasn't set up to do pvp at all, didn't really stand much of a chance. Was still a fun, intense fight but now I'm back in soul form. I really hate soul/body form design. I think it's handled MUCH better in Dark Souls (humanity not being super rare like stones of ephemeral eyes), and the HP cut is just brutal (using the cling ring but still). I'll also say again that health is handled much better in Dark Souls as well. Yeah, I have patches now so buying grass isn't an issue, but I like the 5-20 flasks per checkpoint system of Dark Souls more. Less frustrating because you'll have the same chance when you respawn, and less farming. Also upgrading your estus flask seems more elegant than all of these different grasses.

Still, I'm so glad I got back into this, after putting so many hours in Dark Souls it's amazing to have new areas to fight in! The game is so good, it just took beating its sequel for this one to click with me.

is it me or is the online somehow much more active than Dark Souls?? There's way, way more ghost phantoms running around, my messages get recommended all the time, and whenever I'm in body form I can easily summon. Is it because Dark Souls has small P2P servers?

One thing though... I haven't found any really good armor. I'm rocking what I can wear of the fluted set and some of the black leather set (that meat cleaver is heavy). I also have the brushwood armor, but that shit's heavy as hell. Should I stick with black leather/fluted for now or are there better options available? Looks like the cooler armor is later in the game (makes sense).

The open nature of Dark Souls works against it unfortunately. None of the areas are as well designed as anything in Demon's Souls (except world 5, I guess).
I prefer the open world structure myself. I think it's all connected quite beautifully. I haven't played all the areas in DeS yet, but those I have are beautifully designed. I like world 1 and 4 the best for this so far. But I think the level design in undead burg/parish, sen's fortress, and anor londo are really great too. Since DS has the connecting areas though, there seems to be more empty-ish areas than this game.

On top of many design choices, I hate that they went sub-hd while DS is 720.
Resolution aside, I think Dark Souls looks better than this game, definitely. There's more aliasing here, but maybe that's because its actually in 720p?

Minamu

Just beat it! Had 140k souls on me when I beat the "final" boss and I forgot the game forces the end on you when you come back :( About lvl 76 I think and 11:55 hours as a Royalty. Pretty interested in checking out a pyromancer in Dark Souls now :lol

Old Hero was a real pain in the ass until I read up on using Thief Ring. Must've died nearly 30 times in 4-2 just trying to reach the boss and 5-10 times at the real fight...

Been running around in starter gear the entire game, where's the good stuff for magicians?

Just beat it! Had 140k souls on me when I beat the "final" boss and I forgot the game forces the end on you when you come back :( About lvl 76 I think and 11:55 hours as a Royalty. Pretty interested in checking out a pyromancer in Dark Souls now :lol

Old Hero was a real pain in the ass until I read up on using Thief Ring. Must've died nearly 30 times in 4-2 just trying to reach the boss and 5-10 times at the real fight...

Been running around in starter gear the entire game, where's the good stuff for magicians?
Weapons: Kris Blade (increases magical dmg), beast talisman, an off-hand crescent blade for mp regen, Geri's Stiletto for mp drain
Armour: Monk's head wrap (increases magical dmg), Venerable Sage set

Managed to get the platinum trophy in under 20hours thanks to christmas white world tendency event + item duplication. Onto Shadow Tower Abyss

Sullichin

Fuck! I accidentally aggroed the merchant in 5-1, not knowing she was a merchant (followed a message that said "beware of plague ahead"). I see a talk option AS i'm swinging my blade :| tried quitting/restarting, going back.. she's still pissed. I looked her up and she re-appears in 5-2, anyone know if she'll be aggroed there too? There's no way to absolve your sins like Dark Souls right?

Found Yurt and he reminded me of a certain character from Dark Souls (it's cool to see all the callbacks they make to DeS in that game), looked him up and immediately killed him for his armor.

Going melee only for now with the meat cleaver. Stat scaling and boss weapons both seem to be handled better in this game than Dark Souls.

EDIT: went on a rampage last night. Killed maneater (second try), leechmonger (first try), old hero (first try), storm king (first try). Love this game.

Minamu

Weapons: Kris Blade (increases magical dmg), beast talisman, an off-hand crescent blade for mp regen, Geri's Stiletto for mp drain
Armour: Monk's head wrap (increases magical dmg), Venerable Sage set

Managed to get the platinum trophy in under 20hours thanks to christmas white world tendency event + item duplication. Onto Shadow Tower Abyss
Alright, nice :)

Fuck! I accidentally aggroed the merchant in 5-1, not knowing she was a merchant (followed a message that said "beware of plague ahead"). I see a talk option AS i'm swinging my blade :| tried quitting/restarting, going back.. she's still pissed. I looked her up and she re-appears in 5-2, anyone know if she'll be aggroed there too? There's no way to absolve your sins like Dark Souls right?

Found Yurt and he reminded me of a certain character from Dark Souls (it's cool to see all the callbacks they make to DeS in that game), looked him up and immediately killed him for his armor.

Going melee only for now with the meat cleaver. Stat scaling and boss weapons both seem to be handled better in this game than Dark Souls.

EDIT: went on a rampage last night. Killed maneater (second try), leechmonger (first try), old hero (first try), storm king (first try). Love this game.
She's fairly pointless to be honest so no big deal if you aggro her. Not sure if she stays aggro in 5-2.

Sullichin

Alright, nice :)

She's fairly pointless to be honest so no big deal if you aggro her. Not sure if she stays aggro in 5-2.

It kinda stinks because I see she sells stones of ephemeral eyes. It doesn't really matter though because I only have a couple of stages left and I never used any of the eyes that I picked up, so I still have plenty of chances to use body form if i don't want to get it through co-op. Since I beat most of the areas i prefer being in soul form anyway, but it's cool to go to a new area in body form and summon phantoms or get invaded.

Speaking of co-op, I wanted to do maneater again so I laid my blue stone and got to my surprise got summoned to be the Old Monk phantom. I beat the player, that was really fun. I'm surprised Dark Souls didn't do something similar...would have been awesome if Nito summoned people from his covenant to help him fight. Dark Souls doesn't seem to have nearly as many NPC phantom enemies either. Also, I said it before but it's still true.. the online in this game seems more active than Dark Souls. So many ghost phantoms running around.
Only have 5-2, 5-3, 1-3 and 1-4 and then the end game left. 5-2 SUCKS.

balddemon

Banned
Can you only get invaded in body form?? That might explain why I've only been invaded once. Also, what determines how many souls you get after you defeat the invader?

I killed the first and only guy to invade me so far lmfao I felt bad for him.

But yeah I haven't played this game for a while. New Years and being drunk, playing basketball, and Dungeon Defenders. So much fun in my life atm haha

Sullichin

Can you only get invaded in body form?? That might explain why I've only been invaded once. Also, what determines how many souls you get after you defeat the invader?

I killed the first and only guy to invade me so far lmfao I felt bad for him.

But yeah I haven't played this game for a while. New Years and being drunk, playing basketball, and Dungeon Defenders. So much fun in my life atm haha

Yeah you can only be invaded, or summon other players, if you're in body form and haven't defeated the area boss yet. You can only invade / lay a summon sign if you're in soul form.

Sullichin

Been farming for a Pure Bladestone for 6 hours straight /cry.

I GOT IT GOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOGMO

Jesus. Don't think I'll ever platinum this or Dark Souls, doesn't seem worth the trouble.

So.. I only have 1-4 and end game left. I'm a little pissed that I beat the entire game melee only (with the exception of storm ruler but the game provides that for you and it's basically melee anyway) and now I NEED ranged attacks to kill this stupid blue dragon. I spent forever shooting the weakest soul spear in the world at him until I got roasted when he moved to the second spot. I know I can use the poison knives, but that will take forever. Going to level up my DEX 2 more points and use the white bow/heavy arrows. Still.. I wish there was a way to beat him with melee, like every other encounter in the game. Or at least a way to skip past him that makes him disappear (I don't want to die on the boss and have to deal with the dragon again every time).

Jira

/cry

So all I need for the Plat is the Foe ring, I got my character tendency to pure black, I killed Yurt inside the 3-2 level and Mephistopheles won't spawn. So help me god if I fucked myself because I killed Yurt inside the level and not in the Nexus I will come unglued.

sigh

Seeing as this is likely the case I'm just going to move on to Dark Souls, I can't take this shit after the 6 hours of farming for the Pure Bladestone. I'll get the Plat sometime later.

greyshark

/cry

So all I need for the Plat is the Foe ring, I got my character tendency to pure black, I killed Yurt inside the 3-2 level and Mephistopheles won't spawn. So help me god if I fucked myself because I killed Yurt inside the level and not in the Nexus I will come unglued.

sigh

Seeing as this is likely the case I'm just going to move on to Dark Souls, I can't take this shit after the 6 hours of farming for the Pure Bladestone. I'll get the Plat sometime later.

You don't have to kill Yurt inside the Nexus. Are you sure you're at Pure Black? I'd kill another NPC (the merchants inside the levels are good choices) to be sure.

greyshark

Jesus. Don't think I'll ever platinum this or Dark Souls, doesn't seem worth the trouble.

So.. I only have 1-4 and end game left. I'm a little pissed that I beat the entire game melee only (with the exception of storm ruler but the game provides that for you and it's basically melee anyway) and now I NEED ranged attacks to kill this stupid blue dragon. I spent forever shooting the weakest soul spear in the world at him until I got roasted when he moved to the second spot. I know I can use the poison knives, but that will take forever. Going to level up my DEX 2 more points and use the white bow/heavy arrows. Still.. I wish there was a way to beat him with melee, like every other encounter in the game. Or at least a way to skip past him that makes him disappear (I don't want to die on the boss and have to deal with the dragon again every time).

I was a pure strength build with my first character - Compound Long Bow+10 did a decent amount of damage for me. If you've got DEX above 20 though I'd go Quality +5, it will do more damage. Combine that with the poison knives to damage while you're firing away with arrows and he'll be down in no time (or at least a reasonable amount of time).

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

Completely disagree.

I love both games to death, but the way Dark weaves all the different disparate areas together seamlessly in a way that you can peer into the distance and see where you came from creates a sense of scale, space and discovery on a level the first game didn't reach.

They're both games of this gen for me but stuff like the bonfire mechanic, more focused systems and wonderfully executed SotN-style sprawling world make it clearly the tighter game in my opinion.

Jira

You don't have to kill Yurt inside the Nexus. Are you sure you're at Pure Black? I'd kill another NPC (the merchants inside the levels are good choices) to be sure.

Yeah I'll go kill another NPC to be sure. Killed 2 more NPCs and she still hasn't spawned, looks like I'm forced to do a 3rd playthrough due to a god damn technicality. UGH.

greyshark

Yeah I'll go kill another NPC to be sure. Killed 2 more NPCs and she still hasn't spawned, looks like I'm forced to do a 3rd playthrough due to a god damn technicality. UGH.

Do you have Northern Regalia? The damage of the sword is maxed at 135/135 if you have Pure Character tendency (White or Black).

Sullichin

I was a pure strength build with my first character - Compound Long Bow+10 did a decent amount of damage for me. If you've got DEX above 20 though I'd go Quality +5, it will do more damage. Combine that with the poison knives to damage while you're firing away with arrows and he'll be down in no time (or at least a reasonable amount of time).

I wound up sneaking underneath him, and shooting him with the weakest soul spear *in the world* with ring of magic sharpness. I ran out of spice when he had like 100 something HP left, and while I could have waited 4 hours to wait for my crescent weapon+fragrant ring to refill my MP meter, I used a stone of ephemeral eyes to fill it one last time. Dragon DEAD.

Then I warped back to level up with my newly acquired souls, came back into 1-4 and beat False King on my first shot! I've heard of his famous de-leveling attack. Unfortunately I got de-leveled twice during the fight. I went to roll and that didn't go so well, so he must have hit my endurance. So halfway through the fight I hastily take my pants off. That was quite an intense fight, but DEFINITELY easier than the final boss in Dark Souls imo. I actually beat most of the bosses on my first try.

Really great game. Prefer the design of Dark Souls (this one's also much shorter), but I'm really glad I went back to this one. NG+ time. Shit, these games own my soul.

Big B

I've been farming 4-3 for cloudstones and have only been getting shards. I'm at pure black too, is it supposed to take this long??

I've been farming 4-3 for cloudstones and have only been getting shards. I'm at pure black too, is it supposed to take this long??

It can, took me forever to get enough chunks to fully upgrade my Dark Purple Flame Shield. I probably hit the archstone a good 60 times before I was finished. I don't think I was on PBWT the whole time though.

Jira

Do you have Northern Regalia? The damage of the sword is maxed at 135/135 if you have Pure Character tendency (White or Black).

Yeah it's 135, I'm gonna go finish 3-2 and HOPEFULLY that will trigger that Yurt died and she will spawn.

FUCK THE ONE SHOTTING BLACK PHANTOM TENTACLE DUDES.

YEAH YOU LIKE THAT FIRESTORM TO THE BACK BITCH? WHAT NOW!?! YOUR LITTLE BELL CAN'T HELP YOU!

balddemon

Banned
Yeah it's 135, I'm gonna go finish 3-2 and HOPEFULLY that will trigger that Yurt died and she will spawn.

YEAH YOU LIKE THAT FIRESTORM TO THE BACK BITCH? WHAT NOW!?! YOUR LITTLE BELL CAN'T HELP YOU!

Oh damn those things are tough lmao. Hate'em. I 2hko the normal ones but these take several hits...

As for my completion %, I've got only world 5 minus 5-1 left + Endgame.

patsu

Be careful of Northern Regalia when fighting with an NPC (e.g., against Penetrator).

The sword's swing is super wide. I hit that Twin Fang dude in the boss fight accidentally. After the boss fight, he always loitered in the same corridor and chased after me every time I passed by. 8^)

Jira

Well that's all for me, 100% in 11 days. No idea what the screendoor effect is about.

Vynk9.jpg

I just got this and i'm lost.

I started playing yesterday, got killed, and I'm wandering around as a Soul. I got to Boletaria palace through a painting and have been playing it repeatedly (this one Lancier keeps killing me) and since I can't get past him I can't go anywhere else. Do I have to beat that lancier to get to another area or is there another path I can take?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
You have to beat the first level to open up the rest. I'd recommend starting playing as a Royal as they have ranged magic and they're best for noobs.

mocoworm

I have both Demon's Souls on PS3 and Dark Souls on 360 both unplayed.

Is it recommended that I play Demon's Souls first ? Which is the better game overall ?

Minamu

Is it recommended that I play Demon's Souls first ? Which is the better game overall ?
I'd say Demon's Souls first because Dark Souls have features that you'll probably miss, to the detriment of your ability to enjoy Demon's, if you play that one first. Vice versa is less likely. As for the better game, I don't think there's a general consensus on either or.

EasyMode

I started playing yesterday, got killed, and I'm wandering around as a Soul. I got to Boletaria palace through a painting and have been playing it repeatedly (this one Lancier keeps killing me) and since I can't get past him I can't go anywhere else. Do I have to beat that lancier to get to another area or is there another path I can take?

You mean the spear knight with the red eyes? That path is a dead end for the time being, so ignore him and try exploring elsewhere.

Jira

Play Demon's first, I just finished 100%ing Demon's and I just started Dark Souls and Dark is a HELL of a lot less forgiving.

Jira

You have to beat the first boss in order to unlock the other archstones, when you die you restart the entire level over again. Each archstone is a world, within each world are levels, so for example you're currently doing 1-1. If you're getting killed by a guy with red eyes, you're not in the right area.

You mean the spear knight with the red eyes? That path is a dead end for the time being, so ignore him and try exploring elsewhere.

Yeah, he has red eyes. I kind of figured I must have been going the wrong way because he's killing me with hardly any effort (He jabs me through my block and breaks my stamina then jabs again and kills me.)

elohel

Gave this as a birthday present to a friend the other day and played a bit. Still better than Dark Souls.

dunno bout that one, dark souls is hella dope

also why isnt this thread in community? lol

do you have to re-get all your trophies in one play through to get platinum?

balddemon

Banned
Yeah, he has red eyes. I kind of figured I must have been going the wrong way because he's killing me with hardly any effort (He jabs me through my block and breaks my stamina then jabs again and kills me.)

Yeah I remember the first time I encountered him....ohko, I thought he had some kind of life draining weapon haha

Just go the other way, you can't get in the room he guards yet.

Actually, neither can I, since I can't find the guy who has the key. I'm pretty sure he died since he wasn't by his BP.

balddemon

Banned
GOD DAMNIT
Need Pure Darkmoonstone. So I go to kill the Crystal Lizards that drop them, in 4-2 and 4-3. I killed the ones in 4-3 3 of the possible 4 times since I scared them away the first time -_- 12 Chunks of Darkmoonstone. I failed at life and only managed to kill the one in 4-2 once. 1 Chunk of Darkmoonstone. Now the only way for me to get Pure Darkmoonstone is NG+, but I really want my Crescent Falchion +5. BLECH

Manus

Just beat the first archstone level. So what stats do I want to pump if I'm going all melee? I loved all melee in Dark Souls. Is their any worthless stats in DS like resistance was in Dark Souls?

gioGAF

Dark and Demon's are both great games. I prefer Demon's Souls and feel that FROM was probably rushed by BAMCO with Dark Souls. It just feels like some parts are not as well thought out as they could have been (Lost Izalith anyone?).

Sullichin

Just beat the first archstone level. So what stats do I want to pump if I'm going all melee? I loved all melee in Dark Souls. Is their any worthless stats in DS like resistance was in Dark Souls?

I just beat this coming from Dark and went all melee. Focused on STR,DEX,and END. VIT too but not as much as I thought I'd need to. I made the Meat Cleaver when I could... it's an incredibly satisfying weapon to use. It's loud and feels heavy. It also has S scaling with STR and DEX. And A Scaling with faith! Awesome weapon. As far as useless stats I never touched Luck.

balddemon

Banned
One thing I haven't been certain about during the whole game is whether or not my Crescent Falchion does magic damage? Is it the same as Enchanting it with Light Weapon?

greyshark

One thing I haven't been certain about during the whole game is whether or not my Crescent Falchion does magic damage? Is it the same as Enchanting it with Light Weapon?

It does do magic damage - that is the middle number of the 3 possible damage types (physical, magic, fire). It has an 'A' rating for scaling with the magic stat so it is handy for a magic-based player. You get minor MP regen from Crescent weapons as well.

Light Weapon is meant for melee-type players to give them an added Magic boost to their weapons. It also scales with their magic stat, but gives a decent increase without the magic stat having to be particularly high.

balddemon

Banned
Blueblood Sword + Light Weapon = amazing

Also, my world tendency doesn't seem to be changing. I have died in body form several times in 1-1, but it hasn't changed color. More than 7 times. Playing offline too. What gives.

EDIT: OH I had to go back to the Nexus...lame haha I wasted several Stones of Ephemeral Eyes..

Top Bottom