• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sullichin

I hit a wall in this game, I should get back to it. I've played and beat the shit out of Dark Souls. I remember getting lost/not knowing where to go several times in Demons Souls and never having that problem in Dark Souls. Am I the only one?

Also i HATE HATE HATE the way health is handled in this game. I have to fucking grind for health items? It's done so much better in Dark Souls

I hit a wall in this game, I should get back to it. I've played and beat the shit out of Dark Souls. I remember getting lost/not knowing where to go several times in Demons Souls and never having that problem in Dark Souls. Am I the only one?

The only places I ever got lost in Demon's Souls first time was 2-2 and 5-2. Whereas in Dark Souls first time it took me forever to figure out to go to the dragon bridge after the Gargoyles, I ended up in Darkroot Basin and then Valley of the Drakes where I got owned badly...

Also i HATE HATE HATE the way health is handled in this game. I have to fucking grind for health items? It's done so much better in Dark Souls

Was a lot more lost in Dark Souls then in Demons.

Summon someone to find the way

balddemon

Banned

These levels seem pretty linear to me lol :p

As for health items, I just got several thousand souls and bought a buttload of Full Moon Grass that should last me a while.

Jira

The god damn swamp is SO FREAKING DARK, god I hate trudging through that crap. I can honestly say I dislike that level, every other level has had brilliant level design.

balddemon

Banned
I'm workin on 3-1 now, its a pain in the ass I keep falling off the same edge over and over..only two ways I've died there today. I 2 shot the mind flayers now so its pretty easy. I"m just trying to figure out how to get past the big arrow thingy

Jira

3 shot Penetrator, that was intense. FPS tanks with all the broken physics objects, they really could have toned them down overall throughout the game and kept FPS up.

3 shot Penetrator, that was intense. FPS tanks with all the broken physics objects, they really could have toned them down overall throughout the game and kept FPS up.

Wait til you play Dark Souls! :p

Anyway, if you ever do a NG+ or beyond that an easy way to kill Penetrator is
rescue Bior before you fight him, and Bior will assist you in that fight

Jira

Wait til you play Dark Souls! :p

Anyway, if you ever do a NG+ or beyond that an easy way to kill Penetrator is
rescue Bior before you fight him, and Bior will assist you in that fight

I'm still looking for the damn key to that gate by the entrance, I got a key off a fat dude but I don't know what it's for. I do plan on 100%ing DeS before playing DS.

I'm still looking for the damn key to that gate by the entrance, I got a key off a fat dude but I don't know what it's for. I do plan on 100%ing DeS before playing DS.

The door to rescue Bior is to the right of the first Blue-Eyed Knight going back from the Tower Knight archstone. The gate to rescue the witch is directly behind the carriage with the dogs inside as you enter 1-3.

Edit: I believe you need the "bloody key" off the fat guy where you save Bior to open the gate where the witch is.

Jira

FFS @ Dragon God omggggggggggggg I've yet to find a way to hurt him and I can't quite even hit his chin horn. I've done zero damage to him so far and he's nearly 2 shot me. No spoilers though please. oh nm

...................that was SO anti-climactic.

Reilly

FFS @ Dragon God omggggggggggggg I've yet to find a way to hurt him and I can't quite even hit his chin horn. I've done zero damage to him so far and he's nearly 2 shot me. No spoilers though please. oh nm

He's the easiest boss in the game. :)

Sayah

The door to rescue Bior is to the right of the first Blue-Eyed Knight going back from the Tower Knight archstone. The gate to rescue the witch is directly behind the carriage with the dogs inside as you enter 1-3.

Edit: I believe you need the "bloody key" off the fat guy where you save Bior to open the gate where the witch is.

You also need to wear the "hat" you obtain from the fat guy to have the secret door open and rescue Yuria.
Then, you have to take off the hat when talking with Yuria or she'll think you are the enemy.

Jira

3 shot Maiden, such a small freaking space to kill her guard ugh. Don't get me started on the damn plague either.

Jira

Lol so I'm doing the 3 black phantoms in 1-5 and as I'm working on the last dude with all the armor and polearm someone invades my world, well it seems he has that same armor breaking polearm the npc does and I stood no chance so I let the mob kill me so he didn't get my souls. HA!

Jira

blaaaaaaaaargh I FINALLY get past the freaking dragon in 1-4 and another guy invades my world as i'm fighting the black phantom on the bridge.

Manus

Anything I need to know from to start in this? I've played through Dark Souls so I know about combat. Anything special like the master key I should look out for?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
If you want to 100% in as few runs as possible, play permanently offline and hit up wikis.
Otherwise, have fun!

PS - the tutorial boss is beatable, but beating it isn't required.

Anything I need to know from to start in this? I've played through Dark Souls so I know about combat. Anything special like the master key I should look out for?
Luckily for you, there is a Pure White World Tendency Event, going on until January 2. Take advantage of it, because it's the hardest world state to achieve. It would take 2 playthroughs to get a world back to pure white, from pure black. Going the other way, to pure black, is cake.

Minamu

Goddamn Flamelurker :( Never had much trouble with him as a melee guy, but as a royalty he's really annoying :( I have Water Veil/Warding, Soul Arrow and Flame Toss and that Scimitar from 4-1 at +4. Haven't tried him in a few levels but I'm almost lvl 60 with int 38 and mag 40. Vit is the starting 8 :lol I have the starting gear due to default endurance and a Heater Shield+6 for some reason.

Sullichin

Started this again.

1) I dislike that there's armor exclusive to male/female. I killed the executioner in 1-1 and I can't use the armor she dropped, that's just stupid :/
2) Forgot about the ridiculous carry burden. Guess I'll drop some of this female only armor. I picked up some heavy armor in 1-1 and I can't even carry it all. And it will be gone if I don't pick it up now and come back :/
3) I'm much better at the combat after my countless hours of dark souls, so its awesome to have more of that.
4) i enjoy the white world tendency because i'm seeing new areas of the early parts that weren't accessible to me the last time I played the game.

Jira

Just killed the Black Phantom Garl Vinland, FUCKING INTENSE, I died 3 times due to him countering with an instant kill parry. Finally got the kill with Baby's Nail back and forth dodging and hitting him. I was afraid he was gonna heal but the plague DoT killed him.

Jira

Finished every PWTE. When I kill the False King will that be it or will I be able to do other stuff before the game "ends"? I want to do a few things before starting my NG+.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I'm workin on 3-1 now, its a pain in the ass I keep falling off the same edge over and over..only two ways I've died there today. I 2 shot the mind flayers now so its pretty easy. I"m just trying to figure out how to get past the big arrow thingy

Those squid head guards are pretty easy if you are playing as Royal or any build that can use miracles. Just use Anti Magic Field before the level and the squids won't cast powerful soul arrows or whatever its called.

Sullichin

I'm really glad I got back into this. Haha when I started playing memories of noob frustration in 1-1 came flooding back. This time I beat the level without dying, of course it's on pure white world tendency though.

I was pleased/surprised to see two summon signs at the beginning of 2-1. It's awesome that the online in this game is still active! Going through levels in this and DkS with two phantoms is just the best. My phantoms died though, and I didn't make it to the boss. Upgraded my bastard sword to +3.

Now.. I'm in soul form again. So to revive to human, I can: beat a boss in someone else's world, beat a boss in my world, or use a stone of ephemeral eyes? That is HARSH. I have cling ring but I'd love to play with phantoms. It looks like the stones aren't even farmable until later in the game? I much prefer how this is handled in dark souls (humanity is farmable and seemingly much more abundant than the stone of ephemeral eyes).

Also, this world tendency stuff is confusing as fuck. It's Pure White because of the online event, but the dragons in 1-1 are still there, but the Wiki says they shouldn't under this condition?

Shito

Yeah, I don't get this "pure white" event at all: to me it seems the worlds aren't pure white, but only white -- in 1.1 the door to Miralda is still closed (still closed, hmmm...) and the dragons are still here.
I was restarting a new character just to make good use of this event, but now it seems I'd be better off playing offline (which is a shame).
These global tendencies being tied to online always struck me as the only very bad design decision in Demon's. :/

balddemon

Banned
Yeah, I don't get this "pure white" event at all: to me it seems the worlds aren't pure white, but only white -- in 1.1 the door to Miralda is still closed (still closed, hmmm...) and the dragons are still here.
I was restarting a new character just to make good use of this event, but now it seems I'd be better off playing offline (which is a shame).
These global tendencies being tied to online always struck me as the only very bad design decision in Demon's. :/

Miralda door was open for me when I checked, and the dragons were still there. So I'm not sure what the deal is, I'm just trying to get the pwwt events done with so I can do the pbwt events and get the cool stuff.

EDIT: Also what's a good weapon to use? I'm using my Crescent Falchion +4. My guy is mostly Strength so I'm not too worried about Magic. Also are Crystal Lizards the only way to get some upgrade ores? EDIT2: Yeah I guess Pure Darkmoonstone can only be gotten from 4-1 and 4-2 Crystal Lizards

It sounds like your tendency hasn't synced with the server. Quit to the main menu and then return to the Nexus. You should get pure white tendency assuming you have the Atlus version.

Shito

It sounds like your tendency hasn't synced with the server. Quit to the main menu and then return to the Nexus. You should get pure white tendency assuming you have the Atlus version.
Oh, yeah, silly me, forgot I was playing on the Asia version.
Erm. Discard what I've said, then! ^^
Funny thing is all the worlds are currently white in the Asia version...

balddemon

Banned
So I killed the Blue Dragon by standing under it and firing arrows and it wasn't even agroed lol wtf. Now I'm having a hell of a time with Old King Allant...I'm about to resort to the Bow and Arrows trick to get his HP down a bit.

balddemon

Banned
I was at that same point 2 days ago, don't know how in the hell I made it up there and right after I do someone invades my world /cry.

Ya I got past it pretty quick once I figured out I could just spam arrows at it lol. Old King allant took a while though, he's a tough cookie.

Question: Lava Bow or Compound Long Bow? The fire damage from the lava bow is the only thing that is encouraging/discouraging me from making it...its 100 extra damage but lots of enemies are resistant to fire it seems like...

I'll get a Sticky Compound Long Bow eventually so in the end it probably doesn't matter.

balddemon

Banned
What is the trick to parrying anything with a long weapon. these bastards kick my ass every time. I can't block it.
Just back slowly away from them and jump in and get a swing then roll back. ALso, enemies that have a long weapon will have some sort of overhead swing that takes them a long time to recover from.
Go Sticky Compound Long Bow + 5 as soon as possible. It's great.
Ok, will do, thanks. As soon as I get Shards and Chunks of spiderstone lol.

Jira

Well I ended up 3 shotting King Allant, spent about 1.5 days farming stuff and getting ready for my NG+. The last part of the game was severely disappointing, but man was it beautiful. Anyways, NG+ time! Oh and my very first playthrough was about 65 hours, 5-7 of which were me farming for souls/collecting items/lizards/etc and probably about 1-2 hours of AFK time.

Top Bottom