• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You were pretty much fighting my best character, the one I platinumed the game with and made all the trophy weapons on. She's a dex build. Favorite weapons are her bow and the Dragon Sword +5.
...I don't understand. Why would you use a dragon sword on a dex build? Dragon weapons don't scale. At your level, a sharp+5 weapon is the best thing to use with high dex. And since you have the platinum I'm assuming you already farmed that pure bladestone... but even then a standard +10 weapon would be much, much better than a dragon sword.

Dragon weapons don't scale so they are overpowered early in the game and at low levels, but as soon as you pump a damage stat (either dex, str, faith or mag) past 30 or so, a proper scaling weapon (respectively: sharp, crushing, blessed, or moon/crescent) will be much stronger.

Also, Morion/Rat ring combo if I'm feeling vicious. :p
Hyper mode is for noobs. :p I should know, I used it a lot as a noob, then I got some lucky wins against skilled players who'd otherwise crush me and it felt hollow. I stopped using it after that. It's dumb that you'd carefully chip away at someone's health or do some nice combo on him, he's almost dead, but then he swings once and kills you. Hah.

That said I don't mind phantoms who use hyper mode so much, cause they got the same health and ring restriction as other phantoms (they'd have to sacrifice friend/foe's ring or worse, cling ring, to wear the rat ring). But hyper mode when you have an HP advantage is just broken, and even more so when you can combine it with other rings. The worst are those who wear both clever and dull rat rings as host, and use VIT gouge builds... their super-high HP and increased defense from dull rat ring means they can still take several hits even when in hyper mode. So you work on them for a few minutes, then they get in one lucky hit and you're dead. That's why I never wear any rings when I fight as a host, cause I prefer fighting duels on equal terms. ^_^

cj_iwakura

...I don't understand. Why would you use a dragon sword on a dex build? Dragon weapons don't scale. At your level, a sharp+5 weapon is the best thing to use with high dex. And since you have the platinum I'm assuming you already farmed that pure bladestone... but even then a standard +10 weapon would be much, much better than a dragon sword.

Dragon weapons don't scale so they are overpowered early in the game and at low levels, but as soon as you pump a damage stat (either dex, str, faith or mag) past 30 or so, a proper scaling weapon (respectively: sharp, crushing, blessed, or moon/crescent) will be much stronger.

Uh, good to know? I like using it is all. :p Seemed like it did much better damage. I'll give her sharp weapons a look, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well the damage is decent especially in NG, but since it doesn't scale, your high dex is wasted on it. Also, a sharp weapon can be buffed, so a sharp+5 with a buff will be much better than a dragon longsword with high dex. :) How high is it, anyway?

Chris R

What is the preferred path to follow for a first timer having just beat 1-1? Also anything I should know? Trying to stay away from most guides but wouldn't mind some info if it was never going to become obvious to me.

Playing a hunter if it matters.

Mike M

Nick N
What is the preferred path to follow for a first timer having just beat 1-1? Also anything I should know? Trying to stay away from most guides but wouldn't mind some info if it was never going to become obvious to me.

I just played through world 1 until I couldn't proceed any further, completed world 2, then 1-3, then worked my way through the remaining worlds in order.

Tenrius

I just played through world 1 until I couldn't proceed any further, completed world 2, then 1-3, then worked my way through the remaining worlds in order.

I went like this: 1-1, 1-2, 2-x, 3-x, 4-x, 1-3, 5-x, 1-4. Basically, beat 1-1 and 1-2, then go to world 2 then do what suits you best.

Sullichin

Unless you are going for as specific build, the order doesn't really matter. I do usually unlock either 2-2 or 4-2 early on to get a certain merchant available in the nexus, who sells the better healing grasses.

Chris R

Ah ok thanks, I'll just keep at it then and post if I get REALLY stuck. It just feels so nice to actually be able to upgrade something for once.

Pegasos123

i prefer 1-1, 1-2, 2-1. 2-2, 2-3, 2-4. 1-3, 1-4 and then 3-1, 4-1, 5-1

pretty much the way you prefer

AHA-Lambda

Anyone got some hints for Old King Allant? This guy is handing me my ass D:

And before anyone says I don't have poison cloud.

EDIT: nvm, just killed him, love this game! :D

RedSwirl

Anybody else ever experienced audio stuttering? At some points now the framerate drops lower than normal, and the ambient audio stutters along with it. I've had this happen in world 4 and world 1 now.

Also, guess I underestimated how hard world 4 would be in NG+. So far worlds 1, 2, and 3 have been about the same as in normal.

Oh, and is it wrong that I've basically been upgrading the same Schimitar the entire time I've been playing this game?

Gah I went back to Demon's Souls so I can platinum it a second time on the EU version (thank you based PS+).
I have everything I need to get it....except for the Pure Bladestone.

I forgot how fun it was (not) to farm for that damn thing ^^; I've done 100 runs as of now, that's ~4hours, and nothing yet. Will persevere tonight.

chunk3rvd

You've done all of that on the EU version since it went up on PS+ on Wednesday? o_O Mad respect if so!

Just wondering - has anyone ever done any decent lore stuff on Demon's the way EpicNameBro did for Dark? I've done 3 or 4 runs through this since it came out but am still none the wiser regarding the story, although I haven't read the item descriptions as much as I did in Dark. Do people like Ostrava have a bigger part in the story than I realise? I've been paying a lot more attention to NPC's and exhausting their dialogue in my most recent play through but haven't picked up much yet although I've only beat 1-1 and talked to the people in the Nexus

Indeed but it was easy because I had already done it and you can trick the game for some of the rarest drops.
That Pure Bladestone however, you can't so I'm stuck here until I get it. I did 50 more runs yesterday and got nothing :( It's starting to annoy me a bit...hours are piling up in the same spot.
I'd be OK with someone giving me one at this point even though I wouldn't like the aftertaste. I think it went quicker 3 and a half year ago on my US version :/

leroidys

I spent about 6 hours last month trying to get pure bladestone. That and the friendship ring are the only things I need for plat. Ugh.

Sullichin

I spent about 6 hours last month trying to get pure bladestone. That and the friendship ring are the only things I need for plat. Ugh.
If you're playing the US version I can help. I think my character with the plat is around SL150.

This post goes for everyone, fuck farming for pure bladestone. I duped that as soon as I finally got it.

Mike M

Nick N
Had I known what bullshit would be involved in making and upgrading a Sharp weapon, I'd have made a STR build.

Demon's Souls: Biased against DEX builds.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Had I known what bullshit would be involved in making and upgrading a Sharp weapon, I'd have made a STR build.

Demon's Souls: Biased against DEX builds.
Haha, yeah. I could suggest a quality or +10 weapon if getting the bladestone is too much effort. Or spend your colorless on the Hiltless and make a sticky+5 compound longbow as backup weapon, that's one way to salvage a dex build without requiring bladestone.

Mike M

Nick N
I've got a sticky compound +5, and a short spear +10/Moonlight Winged Spear +4. DEX is... 33, I think? My damage without Light Weapon isn't so hot, but I really like the spear move set : /

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Moonlight scales with the magic stat. If you buff your +10 with LW, I hope you use the insanity catalyst, it will hit much harder.

Spears are nice to poke and turtle, but their damage output is low. I would suggest using a kilij or a katana type weapon for higher DPS and use the spear when you need to be more defensive or are fighting in places where you could easily fall to your death (4-2, 3-2, etc.).

Mike M

Nick N
Moonlight scales with the magic stat. If you buff your +10 with LW, I hope you use the insanity catalyst, it will hit much harder.

Spears are nice to poke and turtle, but their damage output is low. I would suggest using a kilij or a katana type weapon for higher DPS and use the spear when you need to be more defensive or are fighting in places where you could easily fall to your death (4-2, 3-2, etc.).

Yeah, I'm dumping SL into MAG too.

And I turtle all the time, I pretty much only drop my shield to speed up stamina regen. Heh.

First time Demon Souls player:

Hey guys.

I've totally avoided anything Demon's Souls related, since I got hooked on Dark Souls and knew I wanted to try it.

Well, I finally got around to giving it a shot. On Friday I popped it in for the first time, not knowing what to expect.

Today, like literally 5 minutes ago, I just watched the credits roll. It took me about 25ish hrs, but a good chunk of that time was spent with PVP/Co-op. I'd say it took about 17-20 hrs to beat first time. I did thoroughly investigate areas. I found I was running around in new area's vs tip-toeing around like I did in DkS for my first time. (DkS took me something like 70 hrs to beat the first time.)

It was a good game, but IMO not nearly as hard as DkS.

My pro's and con's list:

+Loved the stage layout, loved the Nexus.
+Matchmaking was fast, and efficient. No need to spam square to invade.
+Like the Soul system over Humanity
+The parry system seemed very forgiving, allowing longer windows to both parry and riposte.
+NPC's seemed to provide more dialogue/depth, at least on first play-through.

-Many bosses felt gimmicky
-Many bosses felt like push overs
-Not all level's had shortcuts to unlock (to bosses)
-Overall difficulty was not nearly as hard as DkS. Maybe this is because my own skill level has gone up over my many hours with DkS?
-THE FUCKING SWAMP.

Overall, it was more fun, and less frustrating than I thought it would be. Some parts were just annoying; trekking through the swamp, giant bugs blocking the path in 2-2, and the Dragon God boss.

I feel that it just doesn't have the same 'catch' to it that DkS has. I can still play DkS for hours upon hours. This game, I'll probably try again in NG+ once. A new character/build after that would be pushing it.

I would have joined in the thread earlier, but I didn't want to spoil anything.

Cool game.

Awaiting the sequel.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Just downloaded the Euro version, planning on going for another plat but it will probably take me years to get it considering TLoU is coming out soon!

It was a good game, but IMO not nearly as hard as DkS.

Was totally opposite for me. I played DeS through NG+++++, and had at least 4 characters, played around 300+ hours or so in total. It took me awhile to warm up to DaS, didn't like the bosses much except for Orstein and Smough. Stopped midway on my NG+.

I thought climbing up a ladder and then doing a jump attack made things really easy in DaS. I think I killed at least 4 bosses and mini bosses that way. Not saying there aren't ways to cheese bosses in DeS but fighting them legit Vs fighting bosses legit in DaS is way harder, imo. The last boss was also very easy compared to King Allant.

Also, I thought NPC's were better in DeS too, even though some are very similar like Yurt (Knight Lautrec), Onion Knight (Biorr) and a few encounters with these were extremely similar, like Patches (won't spoil for new players). I liked Patches better in DeS too!

RedSwirl

Still can't beat Tower Knight on NG+. My strikes to his legs do negligible damage. Not enough to get him to fall over anyway. On my first run through I just summoned someone who cut him down so fast I couldn't actually see what happened.

Anyway, throughout most of the game I've actually had barely any idea what I was doing with my character build. I'm at Slvl 90 now and I mostly went for vitality and dex. In terms of equipment I've been basically just upgrading my starting equipment. I've been upgrading the same Schimitar that I found in 1-1 way back in normal mode which is now a Quality Schimitar +3. I haven't been able to find a better blade. I've also been using the same fluted set except the armor which I replaced with Yurt's armor.

Thinking I should maybe just start another character now that I sort of know what the hell I'm doing.

Mike M

Nick N
Still can't beat Tower Knight on NG+. My strikes to his legs do negligible damage. Not enough to get him to fall over anyway. On my first run through I just summoned someone who cut him down so fast I couldn't actually see what happened.

Anyway, throughout most of the game I've actually had barely any idea what I was doing with my character build. I'm at Slvl 90 now and I mostly went for vitality and dex. In terms of equipment I've been basically just upgrading my starting equipment. I've been upgrading the same Schimitar that I found in 1-1 way back in normal mode which is now a Quality Schimitar +3. I haven't been able to find a better blade. I've also been using the same fluted set except the armor which I replaced with Yurt's armor.

Thinking I should maybe just start another character now that I sort of know what the hell I'm doing.

Try sniping his head with magic or arrows from the turrets? He drops his shield long enough to fire a shot and fall back before his projectile hits.

Also, you're not likely to find a base blade better than an upgraded scimitar, though a Sharp dex-based weapon should edge it out in damage output.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Falchions and kilijs have the same moveset as scimitars, but with more range and more power. There is no reason to use a scimitar over a falchion except for looks, and there is no reason to use a falchion instead of a kilij unless your strength is really, really low (like royalty starting STR).

If you can't be arsed to get bladestone, make a Quality Kilij +5 (that can really kick-ass two-handed) or a Kilij+10, buff it with something like Curse weapon. If you don't mind farming a long time, make a Sharp Kilij.

chunk3rvd

Played this back when it first came out but followed a guide to the letter so I didn't have a real understanding for the game. Gone back now after 600 hours in Dark Souls and it's a completely different experience. A lot less intimidating that's for sure! I've nicked the following build off the wiki that I'm going to use:

SL 121

VIT 45
INT 30
END 30
STR 18
DEX 13
MAG 40
FAI 18
LUC 07

Just wondering, what would be the best bow for this build? Last time I played I went with sticky compound long bow +5 but I have pretty low DEX this time so I don't know if that would be as powerful as some of the normal upgrade paths? Also, any advice about armour and weapons would be appreciated. Currently switching between a Scimitar +3 and the Crescent Falchion +1 I grabbed from 4-1. Moon Uchi seems like a good goal but I'm after a decent intermediate weapon since the moonlight stones are a pain to collect

RedSwirl

Falchions and kilijs have the same moveset as scimitars, but with more range and more power. There is no reason to use a scimitar over a falchion except for looks, and there is no reason to use a falchion instead of a kilij unless your strength is really, really low (like royalty starting STR).

If you can't be arsed to get bladestone, make a Quality Kilij +5 (that can really kick-ass two-handed) or a Kilij+10, buff it with something like Curse weapon. If you don't mind farming a long time, make a Sharp Kilij.

I'm actually not sure I ever found either of those weapons but I could check. 4-1 is actually where I was at in NG+ but decided to try out 1-2 when I found out pretty much everything above a normal skeleton in 4-1 can one-hit me even with my full guard up.

So basically, dex characters should stick with Arab weapons?

Mike M

Nick N
So basically, dex characters should stick with Arab weapons?

Spears, curved swords, piercing swords, daggers, and some random other weapons in catagories that typically scale to STR (war scythe, broad sword, Flamberge, etc.) are all viable choices for DEX builds.

Mike M

Nick N
Any tips for getting pure bladestone?
Take World 4 to PBWT, warp to the Old Hero's Archstone, run past the slug pit, snipe the reaper, then slowly sneak up on the BP Black Skeleton and use Soulsucker, pick up the drop, use Evacuate to return to the Nexus.

Repeat forever.

EasyMode

Take World 4 to PBWT, warp to the Old Hero's Archstone, run past the slug pit, snipe the reaper, then slowly sneak up on the BP Black Skeleton and use Soulsucker, pick up the drop, use Evacuate to return to the Nexus.

Repeat forever.

I think the Adjudicator archstone run is more efficient despite not using a BP skeleton. Run/fall/roll your way to the hidden wall black skeleton, kill him. If he doesn't drop pure bladestone, just roll off the cliff and repeat, no nexus necessary.

Mike M

Nick N
I think the Adjudicator archstone run is more efficient despite not using a BP skeleton. Run/fall/roll your way to the hidden wall black skeleton, kill him. If he doesn't drop pure bladestone, just roll off the cliff and repeat, no nexus necessary.

True, though I would point out that Soulsucker kills quicker, and BPs are guaranteed to drop an item.

Use Soul Thirst, Silver Bracelets, and the Ring of Avarice, and you can farm souls while you farm your bladestone. If one doesn't care about that and doesn't mind fighting the Black Skeleton fairly, then yeah, suicide running from the start of 4-2 is quicker.

Mike M

Nick N
By the way, tried to take on a Black Skeleton on NG+. Fucking one-hitted me even with my full guard up.
Yeah, I'm rolling through world 4 in NG+, and they're problematic. I can block them OK, but I'm not dealing much damage since I don't really have a crushing weapon that's up to par.

EDIT: That's on 4-1, the one on 4-2 will probably destroy me.

Mwahaha, in the latest Hataraku Maou-sama episode, Lucifer is browsing through an Amazon.com-like site and is buying a copy of "Devil's Souls" (or "Devile's Souls" on the cover art) for the PAsta system.
They even took a similar font to spell the name. Cool little easter egg.

I thought the black phantom skeletons are the only ones who drop the pure bladestones?

RedSwirl

Well shit.
Forgot I hadn't killed Yurt in this playthrough yet. He got Patches. Hope that doesn't fuck things up.

GrayFoxPL

Guys...How to get into soul form?

Some guy wants to play co op and keeps telling me I must be in soul form.

I killed first boss
phallax
, returned to Nexus,talked to the monk watched cutscene, talked to lady, she gave me blue and white soul.

Whenever I die I'm not in soul form I just reset to nearest sword checkpoint, health is normal, nothing glows. Souls reset.

Dude kept telling me for 2 hours what to do, I kept doing it and still no soul form.

Soulhouf

I killed first boss
phallax
, returned to Nexus,talked to the monk watched cutscene, talked to lady, she gave me blue and white soul.

Whenever I die I'm not in soul form I just reset to nearest sword checkpoint, health is normal, nothing glows. Souls reset.

Dude kept telling me for 2 hours what to do, I kept doing it and still no soul form.

Just kill yourself and you'll be in soul form.

Mike M

Nick N

I killed first boss
phallax

Sure you're not actually in Soul Form? It doesn't turn you blue if that's what you're expecting, that's when you're summoned to another player's world.

GrayFoxPL

Just kill yourself and you'll be in soul form.
Killed myself 20+times.
Sure you're not actually in Soul Form? It doesn't turn you blue if that's what you're expecting, that's when you're summoned to another player's world.

I'm not. I have full health. Loud footsteps. Dude keeps saying "you see my mark on the ground?" No, there are only red msgs, blood pools and ghosts of the players.

What's with those games lately? First Dishonored now this

Soulhouf

Killed myself 20+times.

I'm not. I have full health. Loud footsteps. Dude keeps saying "you see my mark on the ground?" No, there are only red msgs, blood pools and ghosts of the players.

You can't see SS when you are in soul form.
So, definitely you are in soul form.

Here is what a character in soul form looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GgAWYp-BQ

Try using a stone of ephemeral eye. It will turn you to human and you'll see the difference.

GrayFoxPL

You can't see SS when you are in soul form.
So, definitely you are in soul form.

Here is what a character in soul form looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GgAWYp-BQ

Try using a stone of ephemeral eye. It will turn you to human and you'll see the difference.

I definitely don't look like that, there's some kind of aura coming out of character, I don't have that.

I don't have that stone, pretty sure.

Guys, what the hell is going on? :(

Tenrius

Killed myself 20+times.

Your friend is probably is mixing up soul form with body form lol. If you want to summon him, you have to be in body form and he has to be in soul form.

I definitely don't look like that, there's some kind of aura coming out of character, I don't have that.

I don't have that stone, pretty sure.

Guys, what the hell is going on? :(

You don't need to have the aura, it's from an equipment piece.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Let me get this straight: after dying/suiciding (like leaping off a cliff and seeing "YOU DIED..."), you respawn at full health and you make noise when walking?

...This might seem like a super obvious question, but are you sure you're playing Demon's Souls and not Dark Souls? >_>

Just how much do things change in NG+? I could definitely see myself playing it down the road for the other weapons/spells/miracles I didn't get on the first playthrough.

I'm one of those turtles that takes much longer than everyone else to complete the game, but I don't regret it all. Demon's Souls was a blast and definitely one of the defining titles of this generation imo.

Top Bottom