• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

GrayFoxPL

Let me get this straight: after dying/suiciding (like leaping off a cliff and seeing "YOU DIED..."), you respawn at full health and you make noise when walking?

...This might seem like a super obvious question, but are you sure you're playing Demon's Souls and not Dark Souls? >_>

YES. I die my health is full and I make noise when walking.

I downloaded Demon's Souls from PS+.

Your friend is probably is mixing up soul form with body form lol. If you want to summon him, you have to be in body form and he has to be in soul form.
You don't need to have the aura, it's from an equipment piece.

I don't understand anything now.

It's just restarts at the sword check points.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
YES. I die my health is full and I make noise when walking.

I downloaded Demon's Souls from PS+.
That's... the weirdest thing ever. Your game must be glitched. Maybe you skipped a patch install? I know that when I play games from PSN, for some reason the patches come separately. Maybe try quitting to XMB, restarting the game and see if there's a patch prompt?

GrayFoxPL

I'll start the game from different account. (can't remember if DS supports muliple profiles)

I don't remember if there were patches, started the game from xmb few times though.

Btw. Is there something special when you die? I have only "you died", loading, there.

Tenrius

I'll start the game from different account. (can't remember if DS supports muliple profiles)

I don't remember if there were patches, started the game from xmb few times though.

You can just save to a different slot with the same account.

So your character and your health bar look like this:

demons-souls_2009_01-30-09_01.jpg

And not like this:

Right?

GrayFoxPL

You can just save to a different slot with the same account.

So your character and your health bar look like this:

And not like this:

Right?

Damn. I can't remember. I thinks there's health limiter that gets upgraded while playing. I do make footstep noises though.

Maybe I am in soul form, but just have sfx on steps.

Can't fire it up now, but tomorrow I'll check everything.

Thank you guys for help, maybe that coop guy just messed up Dark Souls with Demon's.

Tenrius

Damn. I can't remember. I thinks there's health limiter that gets upgraded while playing. I do make footstep noises though.

Maybe I am in soul form, but just have sfx on steps.

Can't fire it up now, but tomorrow I'll check everything.

Thank you guys for help, maybe that coop guy just messed up Dark Souls with Demon's.

Basically, if you see the health limiter at 50% or 75% of your health bar (the latter is if you have Cling Ring equipped), you're in soul form and you can put your sign down and get summoned, but you can't see other people's signs and hence you can't summon anybody. If you don't see it, you're in body form and you can see signs and summon others, but can't be summoned yourself.

GrayFoxPL

Basically, if you see the health limiter at 50% or 75% of your health bar (the latter is if you have Cling Ring equipped), you're in soul form and you can put your sign down and get summoned, but you can't see other people's signs and hence you can't summon anybody. If you don't see it, you're in body form and you can see signs and summon others, but can't be summoned yourself.

Ahh. I see. I did equip some ring early in the game. I think I understand now. That guy on psn kept confusing me.

I'm sorry for confusion here guys, really.

Also maybe I make footstep sounds because I'm in full armor, I see other guys on youtube have some peasant characters with soundless rags on them rather then glorious armor ;).

aravuus

Nice to see the Demon's Souls discussion is still very much alive. I searched for this thread just to tell you all that I've gone through the first two parts of the first world, killed Phalanx and Tower Knight, without dying ONCE. Not a single time have I fallen in the hands of these sneaky, hard-hitting fuckers. First time playing and without a guide, I'm going in totally blind.

Granted, I've gone through around 3/4ths of Dark Souls so I now that I should proceed cautiously, but that's it. So many souls to use! I'm so proud of myself :V

Sullichin

Ahh. I see. I did equip some ring early in the game. I think I understand now. That guy on psn kept confusing me.

I'm sorry for confusion here guys, really.

Also maybe I make footstep sounds because I'm in full armor, I see other guys on youtube have some peasant characters with soundless rags on them rather then glorious armor ;).

Nope, you only make movement sounds when you're in body form

Nice to see the Demon's Souls discussion is still very much alive. I searched for this thread just to tell you all that I've gone through the first two parts of the first world, killed Phalanx and Tower Knight, without dying ONCE. Not a single time have I fallen in the hands of these sneaky, hard-hitting fuckers. First time playing and without a guide, I'm going in totally blind.

Granted, I've gone through around 3/4ths of Dark Souls so I now that I should proceed cautiously, but that's it. So many souls to use! I'm so proud of myself :V

Nice, I can't say that my first playthrough went nearly as smoothly. But that was before I played Dark Souls. After DkS, I was able to get through Demon's pretty easily.

Did they announce anything lately about the state of the Demon's Souls servers . I know they were extended a while back, but I haven't been on DS in quite some time (ever since Dark Souls came out I believe)... ?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Starting Demon Souls for the first time in about an hour, any tips for a total n00b?
Sure!
  • Tip #1: Always remain under 50% of your equip burden. Heavy armour isn't worth the few extra defense points, mobility is more important.
  • Tip #2: Never ever upgrade the luck stat. Vitality is never a mistake to level up, though (except maybe past 50 or so).
  • Tip #3: Don't spam. Watch that green bar (stamina) and learn to manage it when in combat. Don't get greedy, take your time, block and chip away, and you'll be fine.
  • Tip #4: Patience and observation are your friends.

Good luck, hope you enjoy one of the (if not the) best games of the generation! :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Sure!
  • Tip #1: Always remain under 50% of your equip burden. Heavy armour isn't worth the few extra defense points, mobility is more important.
  • Tip #2: Never ever upgrade the luck stat. Vitality is never a mistake to level up, though (except maybe past 50 or so).
  • Tip #3: Don't spam. Watch that green bar (stamina) and learn to manage it when in combat. Don't get greedy, take your time, block and chip away, and you'll be fine.
  • Tip #4: Patience and observation are your friends.

Good luck, hope you enjoy one of the (if not the) best games of the generation! :)

Thanks a lot for this! Will keep it in mind :) Any classes that is more n00b-friendly or should be avoided? Or is that better to find out by playing it myself?

Mike M

Nick N
Why luck shouldn't be upgraded?

It doesn't upgrade the quality of items that drop, only how frequently they drop, and items drop pretty damned frequently as it is. There are other means to increase drop rate without wasting Soul Levels on it.

Also confers disease resistence, but that's only really relevant for one stage in the entire game where it's entirely possible to just completely avoid the danger zone.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Thanks a lot for this! Will keep it in mind :) Any classes that is more n00b-friendly or should be avoided? Or is that better to find out by playing it myself?
Royalty is by far the easiest mode. Magic is very strong in this game. Melee is harder. But I'd recommend it, simply for the purest experience. (YMMV of course.)

It's completely useless (except on a very specific build specialized in one single weapon that's only obtained very late in the game), and points are always spent elsewhere.

Though Mike M has it right, the only other way to increase the drop rate is to waste a very, very useful boss soul on it, and I wouldn't recommend it, that boss soul is better spent on the miracle instead (the single most important spell for any PvP build, and damn useful in PvE too). Item drops are nothing to worry about anyway, the natural drop rate at base luck is more than enough to accumulate as much junk as you need.

GrayFoxPL

It doesn't upgrade the quality of items that drop, only how frequently they drop, and items drop pretty damned frequently as it is. There are other means to increase drop rate without wasting Soul Levels on it.

Also confers disease resistence, but that's only really relevant for one stage in the entire game where it's entirely possible to just completely avoid the danger zone.

I see. Thanks.

Few questions.

When a game tells me "you're not strong enough to wield this weapon properly" I rise strength like 4 times and nothing. It means other stat?

Same with "you need more skill..." there's no skill stat so what should I rise to up skill?

Sullichin

I see. Thanks.

Few questions.

When a game tells me "you're not strong enough to wield this weapon properly" I rise strength like 4 times and nothing. It means other stat?

Same with "you need more skill..." there's no skill stat so what should I rise to up skill?

Each weapon has different requirements. On the stat screen there's icons representing strength/dexterity/faith/magic. You have to meet those requirements to wield the weapon or you'll get the "ability shortage" message.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I see. Thanks.

Few questions.

Check the "stats needed" section of that weapon. The icons might not be very intuitive, but the numbers in order from left to right represent: Strength, Dexterity, Magic, and Faith. These are the minimum stats you need to wield the weapon properly.

Unlike the other stats, you can sometimes wield the weapon without having the minimal STR stat, if you two-hand the weapon. Because you get a 1.5 STR bonus when two-handing. So if you want to wield a great axe (26 STR requirement), you can do that at 18 STR if you two-hand it. One-handed it won't work, though.

Edit: also, it's possible to use certain pieces of equipment without having the minimal stats and still benefit from their effect. For example, if you use the Adjudicator Shield only for the HP regen (and not to block), you can strap it on your back and two hand your weapon and you'll still get the HP regen without having the stats to wield it. The Talisman of Beasts, which can cast both miracles and spells, requires 18 magic and 18 faith, but it can be used for support spells without meeting any of these requirements (though any offensive magic, and possibly healing miracles, will be so weak as to not be worth it at all). For example with a ToB you can cast the Second Chance miracle, and if it breaks during, say, a boss fight, you could cast Warding in a hurry to protect yourself, or something like that, all that without having the 18/18 reqs.

Ironically, if you cast Curse Weapon with a ToB without meeting the stats requirements, the HP drain becomes absolutely trivial, making CW pretty much the most OP buff, haha.

GrayFoxPL

Each weapon has different requirements. On the stat screen there's icons representing strength/dexterity/faith/magic. You have to meet those requirements to wield the weapon or you'll get the "ability shortage" message.

Check the "stats needed" section of that weapon. The icons might not be very intuitive, but the numbers in order from left to right represent: Strength, Dexterity, Magic, and Faith. These are the minimum stats you need to wield the weapon properly.

Unlike the other stats, you can sometimes wield the weapon without having the minimal STR stat, if you two-hand the weapon. Because you get a 1.5 STR bonus when two-handing. So if you want to wield a great axe (26 STR requirement), you can do that at 18 STR if you two-hand it. One-handed it won't work, though.

Edit: also, it's possible to use certain pieces of equipment without having the minimal stats and still benefit from their effect. For example, if you use the Adjudicator Shield only for the HP regen (and not to block), you can strap it on your back and two hand your weapon and you'll still get the HP regen without having the stats to wield it. The Talisman of Beasts, which can cast both miracles and spells, requires 18 magic and 18 faith, but it can be used for support spells without meeting any of these requirements (though any offensive magic, and possibly healing miracles, will be so weak as to not be worth it at all). For example with a ToB you can cast the Second Chance miracle, and if it breaks during, say, a boss fight, you could cast Warding in a hurry to protect yourself, or something like that, all that without having the 18/18 reqs.

Ironically, if you cast Curse Weapon with a ToB without meeting the stats requirements, the HP drain becomes absolutely trivial, making CW pretty much the most OP buff, haha.

Oh wow, I was looking for explanation of the weapon icons as there's nothing on it. Only character stats are explained. The PSN version doesn't have digital manual.

Thanks for the info guys.

DS community - Best community.

Morfeo

Royalty is by far the easiest mode. Magic is very strong in this game. Melee is harder. But I'd recommend it, simply for the purest experience. (YMMV of course.)

Thanks! I actually started with a knight, playing the tutorial, and died in one hit on the Vanguard or whatever the name of the boss was. I know this game is supposed to be difficult, but was I just a complete n00b for dying in the tutorial, or is this normal?

Luck is only good for the blueblood sword build which is what I used to crush 70% of the game.
Thanks! I actually started with a knight, playing the tutorial, and died in one hit on the Vanguard or whatever the name of the boss was. I know this game is supposed to be difficult, but was I just a complete n00b for dying in the tutorial, or is this normal?
This is normal lol.

GrayFoxPL

This is how it's supposed to be. I'm a knight too - nice slash power. Lolz when I tried to use magic wand.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, pretty sure 100% of people die at the Vanguard boss during their very first playthrough. It's possible, and not that difficult (though it does have little room for error), to beat that boss once you are experienced with the game, however.

Morfeo

So I'm supposed to die? Nice, it kinda felt that way :) Any way to get back to him or should I take off to Boletarian Palace? Also, tons of blood stains in the nexus, are they all dying searching for some secrets, or just trying to trick me into suicide? And should I use my souls for something this early? Also, where can I see how damaged a weapon is?

Mike M

Nick N
So I'm supposed to die? Nice, it kinda felt that way :) Any way to get back to him or should I take off to Boletarian Palace? Also, tons of blood stains in the nexus, are they all dying searching for some secrets, or just trying to trick me into suicide? And should I use my souls for something this early? Also, where can I see how damaged a weapon is?

He shows up again later, but you don't return to the tutorial area to face him. You've got only one shot at that area per character (NG+ and beyond just starts you off already dead in the Nexus). Just head to the Palace, it's all you've got available at the moment.

People will suicide in the Nexus so they can revert to Soul Form without risking loss of souls or altering world tendency.

If you've got souls, I'd get a shield with 100% physical damage reduction ASAP if you didn't start with one, maybe see if you want to explore different weapon options. You can't level up until after you clear 1-1, so be mindful of stat requirements.

If you look at your item menu, there's a number associated with each piece of gear for its condition. When that hits zero, it breaks and costs a bunch to repair. I'd hit up the blacksmith after each level to just top off the repair levels for cheap before anything gets too damaged.

And how do I save? Extreme n00bness I know :(

Start menu>Icon on the far right (The book). That will save and quit, the game otherwise auto saves ridiculously frequently. No quitting and reloading when you lose a bunch of souls allowed : )

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, the game auto saves pretty much everything you do. So if you just quit the game, you restart exactly where you were (enemies are still dead, loot still taken, etc.). The only exception is quitting within a boss room, you'll be taken outside of the boss fog and any damage done on the boss will be undone so I don't recommend it.

Morfeo

Couldnt find a save feature, but guess Im just using autosave. The bloodstain-feature is seriously awesome, always makes me feel good that I manage to survive what others failed :)

Morfeo

Yeah I guess, he keeps killing me lol, but I need to go there for my souls!

Anyways, is it an idea to go back to the nexus before I have completed the level to upgrade stuff or should I just continue progressing here untill I have the level beaten?

Edit: Aaaaand my weapon just broke, time to return I guess. Looking forward to suicide in the nexus!

Mike M

Nick N
Yeah I guess, he keeps killing me lol, but I need to go there for my souls!

Anyways, is it an idea to go back to the nexus before I have completed the level to upgrade stuff or should I just continue progressing here untill I have the level beaten?

Edit: Aaaaand my weapon just broke, time to return I guess. Looking forward to suicide in the nexus!

Go back, repair your shit, unload any non curative items you're not equipping with Thomas. I don't think you really have materials to upgrade with at this point anyway.

Seriously, just leave the red eyed knight alone for now and complete the rest of the level. Any souls you lose are petty ante.

Morfeo

I left him, but I did not go back. Instead I found a seller just after, so I just bought a new weapon. Now why do I need a telescope? And the fact that there is no pause is seriously making me paranoid writing this lol - especially with that friendly knight walking around.

The first time I saw the Red Knight I literally said "nope" and turned around. I didn't even bother to cross the long path/bridge to him. I just saw Red eyes and turned tail.

Morfeo

OMFG THAT DRAGON

Edit: I seriously feel dead just by looking at him lol, its going to be the best feeling in the world if I ever can beat him lol.

Mike M

Nick N
I left him, but I did not go back. Instead I found a seller just after, so I just bought a new weapon. Now why do I need a telescope? And the fact that there is no pause is seriously making me paranoid writing this lol - especially with that friendly knight walking around.

Telescope's useful for looking at things far away, but ultimately I just draw my bow and zoom in if I feel such a need.

Morfeo

So am I powerful enough to approach the dragon or is it certain death (and an impossibly long way to get my souls back?)

Mike M

Nick N
So am I powerful enough to approach the dragon or is it certain death (and an impossibly long way to get my souls back?)
Your souls will be a little before the point of death, so they may yet be retrievable. There are a couple points with the dragons in this level, but you can't kill them yet, you just need to get past the bridge for now. Beat the level and come back to their roost, and they should be gone.

Also, I think they're not there in Pure White world tendency.

Morfeo

So Im not sure if this should be considered cheating, but I would NEVER have guessed to try to cross that bridge after seeing the mayhem the dragon made there - but I did it thanks to your advice, the lever is down and im still hunting souls!

Morfeo

So I beat the first boss, and im now stuck in the nexus lol, guess thats a good sign that I should stop playing for now. Ive not had a lot of progress thanks to that stupid spear-guy, but Ive had a lot of fun! Looking forward to continue my experience!

Mike M

Nick N
So I beat the first boss, and im now stuck in the nexus lol, guess thats a good sign that I should stop playing for now. Ive not had a lot of progress thanks to that stupid spear-guy, but Ive had a lot of fun! Looking forward to continue my experience!

Yeah, next you need to talk to the Monumental, who's some sort of... living... statue... thing... guy. That opens the other Archstones and the Maiden will let you level up. He's up a few floors, and is the one with a candle burning in front of him.

---

Meanwhile in my own quest...

In trying to farm my pure bladestone, I've amassed ridiculous amounts of souls, and have just been dumping them into stats for shits and giggles. I am ridiculously overleveled, with 40's in everything but STR (16), FTH (13, I think?), and LCK (7). I think I may up FTH and MAG to the point the Talisman of Beasts outperforms the Insanity Catalyst... Maybe max out VIT and DEX at 99... Depends on how long it takes to get my damn pure stone ...

Mike M

Nick N
And that bastard finally dropped my Pure Bladestone. Took the plunge and upgraded the Kilij to Sharp+5 over the katana, just like the move set more.

We're doing a coop run tomorrow, so I prepared with a new character. I was just going to create the character (taking my time to make someone not look horrible), but I went ahead and finished the tutorial. And 1-1. And 4-1 to grab a bow. I didn't intend to, but I fell down the wrong path into the shortcut and didn't want to sucide (and lose a few souls) so I pressed on. The dual-sword skeleton was much harder than the boss at this point, but I did it.

Compound Long Bow is a beast once upgraded, an I intend to make a ranged-focused character.

Morfeo

Its been a few days since I started, but I have now entered the Stonefang Tunnel. Got stuck in a fight with the miners that was surprisingly difficult thanks to their numbers, but managed to get out alive.This level looks much more open than the last one which is interesting, will be fun to see how far I can get before the infamous "You have died" pops up again :)

Did some leveling as well, upgraded my sword to get +1, probably not the smartest thing to do since I guess im getting better equipment soon, but whatever. Also did three points in endurance, one in strength and one in vitality. Going all melee character here I guess :)

Edit: Btw, you guys are all calling the levels with numbers, where do I see these numbers in the game? And should I do normal Mario-style progression, complete world 1, then move on to world 2 etc, or just do it random like I am now?

Aaaaaaand I got killed by some magic dude :(

I'm looking for something to get into and I'm interested in this, but should I play Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? Is one better than the other? Should I play both in the order they came out? I really don't know anything about this series other than it will kick my ass.

Top Bottom