• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sullichin

The key disappeared when the guy carrying it got killed on patrol and I didn't get to the body before quitting and reloading.

I didn't know. How was I supposed to know? : (

It's pretty impossible to do everything in one run, don't worry. Something to do in NG+.

Soulhouf

The key disappeared when the guy carrying it got killed on patrol and I didn't get to the body before quitting and reloading.

I didn't know. How was I supposed to know? : (

You can still get the key. It's not on his body, at least it wasn't during my first run where he died. Double check every corner in 1-1.

After showing my friend where to get started in the game, doing 1-1, 2-1 and 4-1, I tried to make some progress myself. Ended up dying a lot in 4-2, farming a bit in 2-2 and then doing 5-1 and 5-2. Not having a bow means you actually have to fight the bosses, which makes them more interesting. 5-2 boss was really intense, until I figured out how to clear the flies off me.

neoemonk

Finally got my platinum tonight. I first killed Phalanx in 2009 and put the game down for almost three years.

I'm going to move on to Dark Souls after this, with no wiki, just a few runs of Demon's Souls.

On my NG+ run, warding + firestorm made short work of most bosses. It was glorious.

Tenrius

Well shit I can't find Ostrava or the key, I really hate this about the souls games where things just happen unexplained.

It happened to me too, he just didn't appear in 1-3. Nothing to be done about that glitch as far as I know, aside from waiting till NG+.

Finally finished the game a second time, this time choosing the ending that actually gives me the trophy. Also got a weapon trophy.

I doubt that I'll go on a platinum this though, some of the crafting and weapon stuff is rather crazy.

neoemonk

Finally finished the game a second time, this time choosing the ending that actually gives me the trophy. Also got a weapon trophy.

I doubt that I'll go on a platinum this though, some of the crafting and weapon stuff is rather crazy.

You can do a lot of it with help online via trading and such if you do decide you want to try for the platinum. You don't have to do everything alone.

GeekyDad

Well shit I can't find Ostrava or the key, I really hate this about the souls games where things just happen unexplained.

You will learn to love it when you play through multiple times and realize that it is explained but in great subtly that makes you want to dig deeper into every morsel of lore the games provide.

Mike M

Nick N
Man, fuck 2-2. Ugh, no desire to ever return there, fucking bug bears take ages to kill... Still a lot of loot to get down the eastern shaft, but at least I won't have to deal w/those tunnels.

Flamelurker wasn't to bad, just roll roll roll through attacks, soul arrow from a distance. Plus he got stuck for a minute where I got some free hits.

Fucking Dragon God though... How embarrassing that I never realized you could break the rubble yourself until the second phase when he's no longer throwing punches. Died do many times from getting fisted in attempts to get him to smash it for me. Still haven't beat him, but I at least know what to do.

cj_iwakura

Man, fuck 2-2. Ugh, no desire to ever return there, fucking bug bears take ages to kill... Still a lot of loot to get down the eastern shaft, but at least I won't have to deal w/those tunnels.

Flamelurker wasn't to bad, just roll roll roll through attacks, soul arrow from a distance. Plus he got stuck for a minute where I got some free hits.

Fucking Dragon God though... How embarrassing that I never realized you could break the rubble yourself until the second phase when he's no longer throwing punches. Died do many times from getting fisted in attempts to get him to smash it for me. Still haven't beat him, but I at least know what to do.

You don't have to go the long way, though it is a lot more fun. Only part I loathe are the tunnels.

Curufinwe

I had to cheese the Maneaters with poison cloud. After hiding next to the stairs with the thief ring on they went and stood facing the fog covered doors at either end, so I could just go up behind them and use poison cloud. Three times was enough to kill them.

Mike M

Nick N
Summoned a phantom to help out with 1-3 just because I was human for a change so why not.

We were doing great until I fell off a staircase and got stuck between the Fat Official with the keys and a wall : /

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm playing a low-level coop run with friends. The rules are Pure Black World Tendency (we allow duping of Stones of Ephemeral Eyes for that, but no other duping allowed obviously), low level (15-20), no dragon/crescent/moon/blessed or boss soul weapons, and we roleplay starting class. My friend was hunter and I'm a knight who (purposefully) fatrolls. I have a long sword +8, a winged spear+6 and a kite shield +4 or so.

Yesterday we did 4-2 in PBWT. Hilarity ensued, but we finally prevailed! xD I had to trek back and resummon him constantly cause he kept getting OHKOed by everything, haha.

Curufinwe

I managed to beat the 1-4 boss on my first attempt, but he sucked out seven Dexterity points in the process. Now I've beaten the game once I don't feel much of a pull to keep going. All the non-boss trophies seem like they would be a real grind.

Mike M

Nick N
Bwa ha ha, fucking Maneater! Jumped on me while Firestorm was coming out and one-shotted himself in the process. Then his buddy took long enough to spawn that I could replenish my MP and repeat it (though he took two hits.)

Jesus, what an OP spell...

Actually had a lot of success tonight after that, I've been in human mode for hours. Went back to free Rydell, upgraded a bow from no enhancements to Lava Bow, got the Gloom set, took one winged spear to +7, now looking at taking one along the Sharp upgrade route as a replacement so I can craft the Scraping spear.

Also had an invader walk into Firestorm and get lava bowed to death. As someone who rarely wins these encounters, felt good, man.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why are you going the Sharp route if you're a mage...? And if you're dex/magic hybrid, why use a Lava bow instead of a Sticky Compoung Longbow (which scales greatly with dex, Lava bow doesn't)? :)

Mike M

Nick N
Why are you going the Sharp route if you're a mage...? And if you're dex/magic hybrid, why use a Lava bow instead of a Sticky Compoung Longbow (which scales greatly with dex, Lava bow doesn't)? :)
Because I'm trying to resist consulting wikis and I don't know these things : (

I've got the compound long bow in storage and haven't used any Spiderstone I've accumulated, so I should be able to bring it up to snuff soon enough.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I understand. Well, sharp weapons scale with dex, but bladestone is infuriating to farm for. If you're also pumping magic (which I assume you are since you're using Firestorm and OHKO the Maneater), you can make a moon or crescent weapon, using moonlightstone or darkmoonstone. The pure stones can also be a bitch to obtain (need to farm the crystal lizards in Pure Black World Tendency to get a chance at having it), but not as bad as pure bladestone. The flipside is that bladestone can be farmed indefinitely until you get it, whereas the pure moon or darkmoon stones can be missed for a playthrough (the drop is usually decent in PBWT unless you're really unlucky though).

Good luck, whichever you choose.

Mike M

Nick N
A quick look at the damage calculator confirms that a moonlight winged spear would leave other upgrade paths in the dust, thanks for the advice.

Is it me, or is it pretty much impossible to achieve PBWT in online mode? Everything appears to be white 24/7.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
A quick look at the damage calculator confirms that a moonlight winged spear would leave other upgrade paths in the dust, thanks for the advice.

Is it me, or is it pretty much impossible to achieve PBWT in online mode? Everything appears to be white 24/7.

Black is the easiest no matter what. Kill yourself, pop an eye, kill yourself, repeat.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ah, careful, did you check the damage calculator or just AR (attack rating)? Moon/crescent weapons have split damage types, both physical and magical. Which is why they cannot be buffed. Sharp weapons are purely physical, and sometimes that's better, because damage is only calculated based on physical defense, whereas split damage needs to go through both physical and magical defenses. Also, a sharp weapon+5 buffed with Light Weapon using an insanity catalyst can be much stronger than a moon/crescent weapon.

The flipside is that moon or crescent weapons can scale strictly with your magic stat, so you don't need to invest dex, and it can still be pretty strong, plus you can throw spells too. Also in PvE most enemies are actually weak to magic so having mag/phys damage is not a bad thing at all. PvP is a different matter, but you might not care about that much.

So... it really depends on your stats. :) I could advise you better if you told me your stats, or where you plan on taking your build, anyway.

Edit: regarding PBWT, the easiest way is to repeatedly suicide in body form. It's kind of annoying, though.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't have any particular place in mind to take the build, thus far I've been balancing Vit, End, Int, Dex, and Mag evenly (All about 20 at this point, save End which I bumped up to 22 to keep my equip load under 50%). Not optimized by any means, but I'm way more into PvE than PvP, so I'm not particularly heartbroken that I may be out of the level range for most players if I take all those stats to 40.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Ok, well here's my advice (not that you asked, lol); not withstanding the farming issues for pure stones, here's what I'd recommend:

- if you're more into melee with magic as a backup, pump dex, make a sharp weapon, make a sticky bow for ranged attacks, make an insanity catalyst, and cast Light Weapon for massive damage or just use Firestorm to take out bosses (super-easy mode though);

- if you're more into spell flinging with melee as backup, make a moon or crescent weapon, and use the insanity catalyst (or wooden if you don't want to spice often but spice is cheap), ring of mag sharpness and kris blade for massive magic damage. You might be overpowered though, to be honest. At this point you wouldn't even need a good bow.

Well in both cases you'll be OP. Haha. This game is too easy. ;_;

Darkone

I started a Temple knight, any advice on what stats i should concentrate on?
i am mostly using melee, got a Spear to +3 so far and its great, attacking with it while the shield is staying in defense helps.

What upgrade is recommended beyond +3 with the spear & any advice for other weapons?

Thanks

Soulhouf

I started a Temple knight, any advice on what stats i should concentrate on?
i am mostly using melee, got a Spear to +3 so far and its great, attacking with it while the shield is staying in defense helps.

What upgrade is recommended beyond +3 with the spear & any advice for other weapons?

Thanks

For Temple Knight, my favorite build is centered around faith, but you need to go to the Valley of Defilement (world 5) since all the weapons and upgrade materials for that build are found there.
You can do a suicide run at the beginning of 5-1 to get that blessed mace (damage scales with faith and you recover HP over time).
The most notable weapons or that build:
- Istarelle: S faith scaling, weights nothing and offers great protection against plague and poison. Yes it's the best spear in the game and since you seem to like spears, that's a weapon you want. The problem is, you need a pure white world tendency to get access to it and colorless demon's soul to upgrade it.
- Moolight Great Sword: S faith scaling, pure magic damage and goes through shields.
- You can upgrade some weapons (starting from +6) to blessed weapons using faint stones which you can find in Valley of Defilement as well. Damage A-scales with faith at +5 and you recover HP over time.

Darkone

For Temple Knight, my favorite build is centered around faith, but you need to go to the Valley of Defilement (world 5) since all the weapons and upgrade materials for that build are found there.
You can do a suicide run at the beginning of 5-1 to get that blessed mace (damage scales with faith and you recover HP over time).
The most notable weapons or that build:
- Istarelle: S faith scaling, weights nothing and offers great protection against plague and poison. Yes it's the best spear in the game and since you seem to like spears, that's a weapon you want. The problem is, you need a pure white world tendency to get access to it and colorless demon's soul to upgrade it.
- Moolight Great Sword: S faith scaling, pure magic damage and goes through shields.
- You can upgrade some weapons (starting from +6) to blessed weapons using faint stones which you can find in Valley of Defilement as well. Damage A-scales with faith at +5 and you recover HP over time.

If i upgrade to faith weapon, how much should my faith be?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
JYSKloR.jpg

So i bought Demon's souls, i already played and finished Dark souls but i wanted to check the game regardless. My first impressions is that is pretty much Dark souls just slightly uglier, the menus and armor design were better in dark souls (the elite knight set is so good compared to the knight in demon's souls) I finished world 1-1 without dying once, of course i watched people playing that level a bunch of times in youtube but still, so obviously i'm going to plow right throught this game! I'm gonna go pass the boss with the black balls instead of checking out the other worlds that i just unlocked, wish me luck guys.

Tenrius

So i bought Demon's souls, i already played and finished Dark souls but i wanted to check the game regardless. My first impressions is that is pretty much Dark souls just slightly uglier, the menus and armor design were better in dark souls (the elite knight set is so good compared to the knight in demon's souls) I finished world 1-1 without dying once, of course i watched people playing that level a bunch of times in youtube but still, so obviously i'm going to plow right throught this game! I'm gonna go pass the boss with the black balls instead of checking out the other worlds that i just unlocked, wish me luck guys.

Eh?

neoemonk

I see a lot of people starting this game after playing Dark Souls and many of them seem to not have a really difficult time. Anyone out there go the other way?

I've finished NG+ in Demon's Souls, and I bought the Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls on PC but haven't started yet. I'm just curious how bad it's going to kick my ass.

I really relied on magic on my treks through Boletaria, and one of the things I've read is that magic has been nerfed a bit in Dark Souls. I'm debating doing a pure melee run just because I'm feeling masochistic.

Mike M

Nick N
I see a lot of people starting this game after playing Dark Souls and many of them seem to not have a really difficult time. Anyone out there go the other way?

I've finished NG+ in Demon's Souls, and I bought the Prepare to Die edition of Dark Souls on PC but haven't started yet. I'm just curious how bad it's going to kick my ass.

I really relied on magic on my treks through Boletaria, and one of the things I've read is that magic has been nerfed a bit in Dark Souls. I'm debating doing a pure melee run just because I'm feeling masochistic.

I believe Dark Souls is a bit harder on a caster, with the "ammo" count system replacing MP, and I thiiiiiink more enemies have defense against magic. Save your spells for bosses and you've probably got some to spare...

The game overall is probably not going to beat you down too badly if you've already gone a few rounds in Demon's, there aren't really many new tricks.

Booshka

So I was putting my summon sign down in 3-1 and getting summoned as Black Phantom for the Old Monk boss fight. I haven't even got through 3-1 in my game, is this a glitch or intentional? I didn't mind because I had a lot of good fights and won most of them with my Crushing Great Axe +5, just thought it was odd.

EasyMode

So I was putting my summon sign down in 3-1 and getting summoned as Black Phantom for the Old Monk boss fight. I haven't even got through 3-1 in my game, is this a glitch or intentional? I didn't mind because I had a lot of good fights and won most of them with my Crushing Great Axe +5, just thought it was odd.

Yeah it's always been like that. I think they did that so there would always be a sufficient supply of Old Monks.

Soulhouf

It's intentional. Old Monk will summon whoever blue/black phantom he finds.
I don't know how the priority works though.

Tenrius

Melee is not masochistic, it's more comfortable than going the spellcasting road I'd say. Throw in some pyromancy (it doesn't depend on your stats, only on the catalyst) and you're good. As for difficulty, I didn't find either game to be particularly difficult.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yeah, the Old Monk will "steal" blue signs too.

So you're just getting into DeS? I know you're a DkS vet, I wonder how you'd do at DeS PvP. I'd love to duel you sometimes. :)

Booshka

Yeah, the Old Monk will "steal" blue signs too.

So you're just getting into DeS? I know you're a DkS vet, I wonder how you'd do at DeS PvP. I'd love to duel you sometimes. :)

I've played about 60 hours of it, I'm right at the end of the game on my PS3, I was playing another character on my stepdad's PS3.

Mike M

Nick N
Fire up my game, and I'm at the Archstone of 2-1.

Which is weird, because I had quit at the Archstone of 2-2. But all my inventory and gear seems OK, so whatever.

Go to 3-2, lay down my sign.

Got summoned by the Old Monk (Does he hijack all summon signs, is that why I couldn't find help for Maneater?), hung out in the room until I got a random Target Destroyed (Presumably black phantom mind flayers did him in)

Revived back at the 2-2 Archstone.

Wut.

Went to 4-1 and dropped my sign. Got summoned multiple times by the same guy who was in NG+ at the least, if not higher (Dual wielding red eye black skeleton did me in in one *blocked* hit). His world was somehow PBWT? How does that work if he was summoning people? Move it to PBWT, quit, then come back in online mode?

Anyway, I wasn't much help, but I helped tackle a few enemies and invaders (more useful on those than mobs), reaping dat NG+ PBWT soul count undeservedly. Had one invader where the host just vanished somewhere in the level and left me to take the invader myself, which was interesting. He could hit waaaay harder than me, but I had a decent shield and my spear's magic damage penetrated his own. It was a battle of attrition where I got him down to near death multiple times, but couldn't seal the deal since I was out of stamina. So he'd back off and heal, and we'd go at it again.

I had NO idea where the hell the host was, up until this point he'd been camping the spawn point to kill invaders, but now he was gone. There were still mobs at the points he could have advanced, so maybe he was just shopping with Graverobber Bilge, I dunno. Eventually he used the white eyed stone and sent me away with thanks, so I guess it worked out.

Top Bottom