• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heh. Adjudicator's shield +5 completely offsets poison drain in 5-2. That was a good investment in colorless souls I think.

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Are well rounded characters bad since it's so hard to level up past a certain point?

My char is:

Vitality 10
Intelligence 20
Endurance 21
Strength 22
Dexterity 20
Magic 20
Faith 18
Luck 8

and I'm not sure what direction to take him. Should I get a Dragon Mirdan Hammer and just pump vitality?

yeah your character is well too balanced, for PvE is OK, but for PvP you wouldn't stand a chance.

Do you like melee or magic?

if you like melee, go with Vit, Endurance, Dex/Str
if you like magic, go with Vit, Int, Magic

Canova

Banned
luka said:
Heh. Adjudicator's shield +5 completely offsets poison drain in 5-2. That was a good investment in colorless souls I think.

and you can stack up Adjudicator shield + blessed weapon + regeneration ring. you'd never need healing grass

luka said:
5-2 isn't so bad anymore with that shield. First time was hell though since I didn't have enough colorless demon's souls.

luka said:
HOLY FUCK BP SELEN VINLAND ONESHOT WHAT HAPPENED
:lol :lol
Blind goes through shields. So use your best two hand weapon. Might as well have adjudicator's shield for the regen. If you have graverobber's ring. You can slowly walk behind her and give her a good old backstab. She'll cast anti-magic field. So if you're a caster, your kinda screwed. I used a DBS+5 or Meat Cleaver with Light or Curse Weapon and when she attempts to heal, you must attack. Or else the fight will go on indefinitely. In NG, she doesn't hit that hard, but in NG+, my health drops like a rock. Swamp makes it impossible to dodge and her weapon makes blocking useless. =/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
These two giant depraved jackasses aren't giving me an easy time either. It doesn't help that one is a BP.

luka said:
These two giant depraved jackasses aren't giving me an easy time either. It doesn't help that one is a BP.
I would avoid fighting them, especially that BP if you don't have warding. Use thief's ring and walk around them. I avoided all depraved giants except for the one in the village.

Zzoram

So what are the strongest builds? Almost pure dex, with just enough str to use the best piercing sword, intel/faith to get Evacuate, and 40 endurance for max stamina then all vit/dex?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
So what are the strongest builds? Almost pure dex, with just enough str to use the best piercing sword, intel/faith to get Evacuate, and 40 endurance for max stamina then all vit/dex?

pure dex, enough intel/faith for second chance, 40 endurance.

remember after 50 all stats give diminishing return

me and oracrest just did some co-op, it was fun!

gdt

This game is coming in tomorrow.

Can anyone give me some newby tips so I don't shove my controller in my PS3?

Zzoram

I just realized, I can respec my character by invading and dying repeatedly right? Since each failed invasion costs 1 soul level. I won't be able to choose what goes down, but I can just let everything go down and work my way back up as if I am level 1.

Canova

Banned
gdt5016 said:
This game is coming in tomorrow.

Can anyone give me some newby tips so I don't shove my controller in my PS3?

1. patience, patience, patience
2. have your shield up at all times
3. easiest class: royal
4. if you like melee: go with knight
5. if you like to dodge/roll, wear light armor
6. find thief ring and cling ring in the first world after tutorial
7. bookmark demon's souls wiki

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
I just realized, I can respec my character by invading and dying repeatedly right? Since each failed invasion costs 1 soul level. I won't be able to choose what goes down, but I can just let everything go down and work my way back up as if I am level 1.

1. invade --> suicide, invade --> suicide
2. aggravate Mephisto and let her soulsuck you, I think that's the fastest

Zzoram

canova said:
1. invade --> suicide, invade --> suicide
2. aggravate Mephisto and let her soulsuck you, I think that's the fastest

Can you get loot killing monsters during an invasion? I don't want to aggro any NPCs.

When losing stat points, does it try to level them all out or is it always a random one lost?

ACE 1991

Tips on making maneater my bitch? They've been giving me so much trouble. I just bought poison cloud which I hear is really effective against them.

ACE 1991 said:
Tips on making maneater my bitch? They've been giving me so much trouble. I just bought poison cloud which I hear is really effective against them.
Focus your efforts on one and M OVE a lot. Study their attack patterns. Might I suggest co op if you just can't get it.

Im sad that thread post cout has been reset :(

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Can you get loot killing monsters during an invasion? I don't want to aggro any NPCs.

When losing stat points, does it try to level them all out or is it always a random one lost?

1. no, you can't get loot in other worlds
2. when losing stat points, the stat the farthest from default is the one got taken out. so for example you upgraded your dex the most, then that one got taken out.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
5-2 boss was some kinda easy. Is acid cloud the only thing i can get from this guy or should i just eat his soul? That particular spell seems kind of useless.

ACE 1991 said:

What I did was shoot the first one through the fog gate until it died, then i ran to the center torch for cover and wore him down when he got close. Kind of cheap but what goes around comes around. :lol

Zzoram

canova said:
1. no, you can't get loot in other worlds
2. when losing stat points, the stat the farthest from default is the one got taken out. so for example you upgraded your dex the most, then that one got taken out.

Interesting. I'm definitely doing this. Should I let people I invade kill me so they can get bonuses or whatever?

Actually, I think I need 22 strength to use the long composite bow according to the wiki.

Vitality 10
Intelligence 20
Endurance 21
Strength 22
Dexterity 20
Magic 20
Faith 18
Luck 8

The only stats I guess I really need to reduce are Magic to 18 and Intel to 18 if I go for a Dex build. I need Magic/Faith at 18 to use talisman of the beast, Str 22 to use long composite bow, Intel 18 for 3 slots (possibly use soulsucker in NG+).

Is a Dex build better than a Mage build for PvE? I suppose Dex has range attack through bows and can melee with piercing weapons. What's the best melee weapon for a Dex build? How are you supposed to play a Dex character?

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
Interesting. I'm definitely doing this. Should I let people I invade kill me so they can get bonuses or whatever?

Actually, I think I need 22 strength to use the long composite bow according to the wiki.

you have to die by natural cause (falling, fire) to have your stat drop. if you invade and kill by the host, you wont lose any stat

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ooh, the music in the Nexus changed. Spooky.

FYI plague babies are ASSHOLES.

canova said:
you have to die by natural cause (falling, fire) to have your stat drop. if you invade and kill by the host, you wont lose any stat

You can also just use the white stone to leave as soon as you arrive. That will make you lose a level too.

Zzoram

Melfice7 said:
thats my current build, i made a nun :D

Is a Crescent Axe a viable weapon to make into a Blessed? It seems to have the highest max damage possible except for Great Sword/Axe but only requires 14 Str instead of the 26 the Great Sword/Axe do. Or is the Crescent Axe attack animation/reach bad?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Okay...okay. Is there any way to kill these giggling invisible spirits in 4-2 without risking exposing myself to an instakill?

Zzoram said:
How are you doing this? Stats/gear/which BP skeleton?
I'm using Large Sword of Searching which doubles my luck for finding rare ores. My luck is only at 12. Also use Thief's ring to get closer to them. There is only one BP dual wielding katana skeleton in 4-2. You can't miss him and he has two gold BP skeletons friends in the front. I use the Old Hero Archstone and backtrack to him. Soulsuck him and the other two BP. Rinse and repeat. I was ridiculously lucky to have it drop that fast.
luka said:
Okay...okay. Is there any way to kill these giggling invisible spirits in 4-2 without risking exposing myself to an instakill?
Warding and have your back at the wall so they can't backstab you.

bdouble

Zzoram said:
Nope. Bows are restricted to 2 hand only so they get the multiplier. You only need 14 edit: err 15

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
Is a Crescent Axe a viable weapon to make into a Blessed? It seems to have the highest max damage possible except for Great Sword/Axe but only requires 14 Str instead of the 26 the Great Sword/Axe do. Or is the Crescent Axe attack animation/reach bad?

dunno never used one, i use multiple weapons, moonlight +5, blueblood, blessed knights sword +5.. i hear good things about blessed mirdan hammer but i hate the attack animations :p

Melfice7

zerokoolpsx said:
Less than an hour and found another pure bladestone. >.> Talk about easy.

well screw you :<, i got one in the US version pretty easily, but in EU version im getting sick of farming for it.. yesterday i made 1 million souls just trying to get it and nothing :\

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Beat storm ruler and everything other than the last section of the Palace. I've heard nasty things about Allant. :(

Onward to the endgame!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Melfice7 said:
you got US or EU version luka? and what level are you? maybe i can help

US. I'm about level...75-77. I just shut it off for a bit but I think I'm going to have to grind 4-2 a bit to get my stats up so I can use that white bow.

What level are most people at the end of the first playthrough?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Blueblood sword is awesome. Finally a worthy replacement for my Crescent Falchion+4. Now I'm happy I put those points into luck. :p

If Large sword of moonlight gets sufficiently powerful when upgraded I can see it being my go-to weapon in my next game, especially for pvp.

Random question: I seem to have lost track of Ostrava and apparently I need his key for something. Where should I be looking?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Melfice7 said:
he appears on every level of world 1, where did you talked to him last?

I don't even remember. I actually stopped playing a month or two ago and finally decided to finish it. Basically the last thing I did before I stopped was beat the Penetrator and I remember Ostrava chilling in the nexus. Never saw him since I picked it up again. :lol

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:
I'm using Large Sword of Searching which doubles my luck for finding rare ores. My luck is only at 12. Also use Thief's ring to get closer to them. There is only one BP dual wielding katana skeleton in 4-2. You can't miss him and he has two gold BP skeletons friends in the front. I use the Old Hero Archstone and backtrack to him. Soulsuck him and the other two BP. Rinse and repeat. I was ridiculously lucky to have it drop that fast.
Warding and have your back at the wall so they can't backstab you.

Does that mean you go to 4-3 then walk back to 4-2? Or you go to 4-2 and walk back to 4-1?

@Zzoram: The Old Hero Archstone is the same as 4-3. Backtrack past the room with the slugs, kill the reaper and then you'll eventually find the black dual wielding katana skeleton once you reach the cliff edge.

Top Bottom