• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Dyack in 1up yours. NeoGAF is "hurting society," justifies having it shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I'd like to say that I'll rejoice when Too Human bombs, but unforunately xbots buy every single piece of shit that get released on the 360.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
I'd like to say that I'll rejoice when Too Human bombs, but unforunately xbots buy every single piece of shit that get released on the 360.
Le siiiiiigh.

Flavius

jett said:

You are the overripe fruit begging to be picked lest you fall from the tree.

jett said:

You'd think that this whole onslaught of ridiculousness from one human being would have sucked all the rest of the ridiculousness out of anyone else in the hemisphere.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
jett said:

....aaaaaand Dyack gets his lamb for the ban altar.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I've been away for a few months... can someone please post a link to the Dyack thread that sparked this latest debacle? Someone mentioned it in another thread too so I'm really interested in reading it. I'd search for it, but I don't know Dyack's username.

Thanks.

snoopers

I am multitalented
I've began Too Human at Blim's and loved it. The cinematics and art design are bad and all, but technology is solid and gameplay is fun. I don't understand the hate, especially from people who never played it in the first place.

Tieno

What is bothering me is that there seems to be an atmosphere created around Too Human where anything goes on forums which gives some professional enthusiasts the feeling they too don't need to have any decency (as evident by the examples given on 1upyours).

It's all more and more going towards this 4chan and youtube comment mentality.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for Shawn's blog post. He has such a great way of articulating things I just can't be bothered saying. Even if I disagree it always makes for a good read.

Apocryphon

probune said:
The one thing I have to agree with is when they made comments about the NeoGAF moderation. It doesn't always seem to follow its own rules. I've seen people banned for nothing at all and other people not banned for stuff that's even worse. Just seems like it's whatever the mods feel like that day, I guess.

You can't really complain and demand that it be changed because this is a private forum and the administrators and moderators reserve the right to completely ignore your comments and ban you, but I just felt that I should talk about the one thing I actually agreed with in this whole last hour of the 1up yours show.

GAF is an ocean and some people are unlucky enough to get caught in the thousands of nets/currents/maelstroms etc...

No way I'm putting cash in the hands of this ranting idiot.

I was amused thus far by the Dyack hate. Now I'm a card carrying member.

This is how you properly create a game-burying backlash, Denis. Grats.

Xapati

666 said:
Y'see, GAF has fallen for it. He wins... Shhhh. Lets all just Shhhhh and stop fuelling his sad lil fire.

He won? Doubt it; it's a symbiotic relationship: We both get the drama and attention we want :lol . It's sort of like how Anonymous loves it when Fox News covers them.

Siyou said:
neogaf wiki:

Denis Dyack of Silicon Knights has also been known to post drunken rants in desperate attempts to gain respect both for himself and his games. As of the 2nd of July 2007 Dyack has been unsuccessful in gaining either, I mean, how could he be? Have you seen the animations in the Too Human intro video? Psht! Good luck defending that Denis.

:lol :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Holy crap. I'm dying.

Wow. I was one of the few who had faith in SK due to their previous game experience- don't I feel the fool defending this guy. His comments are completely uncalled for. This is an open forum of discussion and should not be regulated if we hope to maintain our flow of ideas and criticism. Dyack shouldn't care one way or the other how people perceive him personally since GAF is actually a fairly isolated community- in fact his insecurities will only do more to hurt his reputation than help it. Further, he really has no right to take action against the silly gifs and jpgs since they are in jest, parody or satire.

No way I'm putting cash in the hands of this ranting idiot.

I was amused thus far by the Dyack hate. Now I'm a card carrying member.
This is essentially my stance, although I did respect him quite a bit for his work on ED. But these recent events have changed that.

Dever

Banned
snoopers said:
I've began Too Human at Blim's and loved it. The cinematics and art design are bad and all, but technology is solid and gameplay is fun. I don't understand the hate, especially from people who never played it in the first place.

Interesting. At this point, Too Human being awesome would probably cause a bigger meltdown than it sucking.

Tobor

To articulate my thought from the last page, will we be allowed to have a thread about the game when it releases? I'd like to see at least one drama free zone, be it the official thread or whatever.

Orlics

Dever said:
Interesting. At this point, Too Human being awesome would probably cause a bigger meltdown than it sucking.

From the looks of things, the chances are very slim (except for really hardcore armor design fans, or something).

What is bothering me is that there seems to be an atmosphere created around Too Human where anything goes on forums which gives some professional enthusiasts the feeling they too don't need to have any decency (as evident by the examples given on 1upyours).

It's all more and more going towards this 4chan and youtube comment mentality.

No, that's bullshit. He lost all credibility while talking about that.

Every internet forum claims that, "It was better in the old days", every six months. It's such as cliché it should be a named Law.

Every six months, regardless of the forum or quality of the posting within a thread starts and everyone has a moan and talks about how it could be better, and as soon as that thread drops off the front page - it's forgotten. Nothing changes, and the forum keeps going as normal until the next thread.

Nothing ever changes, really. I've seen 4chan users complain that 4chan used to be better, which is hard for me to believe, since I can't attach any form of qualitative statement onto a bunch of memes.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
On the one hand, Denis has a point, this place sucks some times, especially when it comes to SK, and just as someone who mostly enjoys being here and posting here, a line needs to be drawn under the whole thing now, ban for/against, ban Denis, ban anyone who goes off topic in TH threads. If that doesn't work, ban TH discussion altogether. Because otherwise you run the risk of all the shit Denis has stirred over the last 2 years spilling into other games, and that would be a shame.

On the other hand, Denis is like the kid at school who got bullied and kept trying and failing to stand up for himself. All this shit he does accentuates the problem and makes it seem much more relevant and serious than it really is.

Tieno

RubberJohnny said:
No, that's bullshit. He lost all credibility while talking about that.

Every internet forum claims that, "It was better in the old days", every
six months. It's such as cliché it should be a named Law.

Every six months, regardless of the forum or quality of the posting within a thread starts and everyone has a moan and talks about
how it could be better, and as soon as that thread drops off the front page - it's forgotten. Nothing changes, and the forum keeps going as normal until the next thread.

Nothing ever changes, really. I've seen 4chan users complain that 4chan used to be better, which is hard for me to believe, since I can't attach any form of qualitative statement onto a bunch of memes.
Because it's a continuous decline.

Bust Nak

DCharlie said:
This ignores the general GAF consensus that Eternal Darkness is a steaming pile of horse manure.
Hang on, I thought GAF loved Eternal Darkness, I even picked up a bargin bin copy 6 months ago from the recommentation! I was looking forward to playing it too :(

Orlics said:
From the looks of things, the chances are very slim (except for really hardcore armor design fans, or something).

I don't that qualifies as Snoopers. It's not like we haven't seen and heard him talking about games for like years now.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dever said:
I certainly wouldn't say it's an awesome game, especially since the art design and animations can be almost offensive at times, but it's certainly not an horrible game either. There are some very interesting ideas in the game, but damn it's like it's trying very hard not to be liked when it comes to the art part.

Doc Evils

Tobor said:
To articulate my thought from the last page, will we be allowed to have a thread about the game when it releases? I'd like to see at least one drama free zone, be it the official thread or whatever.

That thread will be Neo GAF's official Ground Zero.

probune

I'm kind of distressed at a lot of the responses to the topic, though. I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say (I think he's putting too much stock in video game forums, and Garnett is right when he says that NeoGAF isn't the thing that really pushes sales) but you think he's crazy? He overcomplicated his thoughts which basically boiled down to saying that people on the internet have no social responsiblity and accountability and it's a bad thing, and that's like babble babble crazy talk?

Just to clarify, I don't think HE should complain, since he's putting himself out there, but there's some truth to his comments. They're not completely insane.

Blimblim said:
I certainly wouldn't say it's an awesome game, especially since the art design and animations can be almost offensive at times, but it's certainly not an horrible game either. There are some very interesting ideas in the game, but damn it's like it's trying very hard not to be liked when it comes to the art part.

7.9'd.

Tieno said:
Because it's a continuous decline.
But it isn't, because the decline is a myth, a fabrication. Nothing is getting worse, it's just a perception.

There are records from the 14th century about people complaining about the standards of education, and crime, and how the country was going to shit, and hundreds of years later it's exactly the fucking same. Why?

Because everything is constant, especially the grumpy moaners who'd like you to believe that everything is going downhill. It's as true for Internet forums as it is for life in general.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
probune said:
I'm kind of distressed at a lot of the responses to the topic, though. I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say )I think he's putting too much stock in video game forums, and Garnett is right when he says that NeoGAF isn't the thing that really pushes sales) but you think he's crazy? He overcomplicated his thoughts which basically boiled down to saying that people on the internet have no social responsiblity and accountability and it's a bad thing, and that's like babble babble crazy talk?

Just to clarify, I don't think HE should complain, since he's putting himself out there, but there's some truth to his comments. They're not completely insane.

Given his actions, given his motivations, given the results of said actions...

...he's not all there.

Tobor

probune said:
I'm kind of distressed at a lot of the responses to the topic, though. I didn't agree with a lot of what he had to say )I think he's putting too much stock in video game forums, and Garnett is right when he says that NeoGAF isn't the thing that really pushes sales) but you think he's crazy? He overcomplicated his thoughts which basically boiled down to saying that people on the internet have no social responsiblity and accountability and it's a bad thing, and that's like babble babble crazy talk?

I agree as well. He raised some points, some were valid, some weren't, but nothing struck me as being crazy in the least.

PG2G

NeoGAF is a noticeably different community now than it was back in the gaming-age days. Its been growing towards that other -age forum that was created a while back, except without the nudity.

Tieno

RubberJohnny said:
But it isn't, because the decline is a myth, a fabrication. Nothing is getting worse, it's just a perception.

There are records from the 14th century about people complaining about the standards of education, and crime, and how the country was going to shit, and hundreds of years later it's exactly the fucking same. Why?

Because everything is constant, especially the grumpy moaners who'd like you to believe that everything is going downhill. It's as true for Internet forums as it is for life in general.
As a forum grows larger the quality and depth of discussion declines (signal to noise ratio etc), I think that's pretty much a given.

As a forum grows larger the quality and depth of discussion declines, I think that's pretty much a given.
No, not at all. You can look back with rosy coloured glasses all you want, you remember all the good posts and forget all the bad, then seeing what's currently on the page makes you think that everything is getting worse. It's not, once you've been on the Internet long enough and seen communities grow you'll realise it isn't true.

chico

Blimblim said:

hmm... sounds like a mediocre game. 10h long with horrible art design and terrible animations. i think i skip this one

Dyno

Denis the Douche said:
There's going to be a point where they step over the line where someone's going to shut them down.

What line does he speak of? Hurting his feelings, that line? Just who is it that shuts down an institution of free speech in western civilization? How does this happen? What branch of government takes care of this, can he name it? This smug motherfucker hails from St. Catherines, Ontario. He has lived his whole life under the avails of a free society where people can say and do what they please. Seriously, how dare he!

Also by D the D said:
If I wanted to move in and shut that place down, do I have grounds under their own forum policy?"

I'll cut to the quick of it: What Denis has right now is FEAR. Fear that his game won't move and the company he haphazardly helms will hit hard times. That fear has gnawed at his heart and as a result he has resorted to a fascist mentality. All of a sudden there are lines being crossed and places of discussion that should be shut down if they don't change in the ways he envisions. What other freedoms need be curtailed in the name of your greater good, Denis? What other town squares need to be cleared or meeting places broken up? What other topics, aside from mocking your buffoonery, are on the other side of that line you invoke?

Dyack's ideas about NeoGAF and other forums are based on a lengthy thought process inspired by various sources of philosophy, science fiction, and social theory that Dyack has been reading and exploring of late.

I would personally challenge such mental midgetry with my own sources of philosophy and social theory and let me assure you, the intellectual heavy hitters would all be on my side. Free expression is something of pet product to our western figures of history. Dyack in his fear is swimming against the current. He might find a less offended audience in China or perhaps Iran.

Mr. Dyack, you are well on your way towards a Trip Hawkins career arc, both in the quality of your art and in the distain you display towards free speech. You need to alter course unless you too wish to devote your future making cellular phone games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom