• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

border

Stupid questions but I did play the beta now and am curious:
- Is the walking supposed to be that slow? Moving feels off for some reason. Or do you get faster by new equipment?
- Where is the loot in the beta?
- The Strike boss is pretty hard, no? Or is my team just too bad?
- Will there be a hub level or are you just in Orbit all the time in the final game?

Are you sprinting? Movement feels relatively fast.

Loot seems to have been intentionally disabled in the Story mission and Strike. In a normal Destiny game, you will be getting drops regularly in Campaign missions and Strikes.

The strike boss is of above-average difficulty compared to most Destiny 1 strikes. That said, I've never wiped on him in the PS4 or PC betas (though we certainly came close). If you had trouble it might have just been an inexperienced Fireteam.

Orbit is the game's hub. You go to social spaces to buy/sell/trade items and get quests, but you will always be using the Director/Orbit to determine what your next activity is.

ekim

Are you sprinting? Movement feels relatively fast.

Loot seems to have been intentionally disabled in the Story mission and Strike. In a normal Destiny game, you will be getting drops regularly in Campaign missions and Strikes.

The strike boss is of above-average difficulty compared to most Destiny 1 strikes. That said, I've never wiped on him in the PS4 or PC betas (though we certainly came close). If you had trouble it might have just been an inexperienced Fireteam.

Orbit is the game's hub. You go to social spaces to buy/sell/trade items and get quests, but you will always be using the Director/Orbit to determine what your next activity is.

Yeah I'm usually sprinting but walking seems useless.

taimoorh

Anybody know if Open Beta download is available yet? I check 3 hours ago before leaving for work and it still wasn't :(

And it's a 15gb download if I'm not mistaken...

taimoorh

16GB and early access started 10am PT so I expect the same for open.

But early access got 2 days head start to pre-load 16gb. I will have to start downloading at 10amPT :(

It would suck to go back home after work and spend next 2 to 3 hours downloading the game, then only play for 1 hour or less before bed.

MANGOD

Banned
But early access got 2 days head start to pre-load 16gb. I will have to start downloading at 10amPT :(

It would suck to go back home after work and spend next 2 to 3 hours downloading the game, then only play for 1 hour or less before bed.
Shit happens

Ovek

7Member7

Don't worry it takes less than a hour to complete all the demos.... ahem sorry.... "beta" content.

So are there any shotguns that don't require special ammo? It seems like Hunters are super well suited to close range combat, but with shotguns having such limited ammo its kind of impractical to use them all the time.

On one hand I commend Bungie for a modest sized beta. On the other I still think the pre-load should be up now for the public. Activision are just being dicks to try and milk this beta period for pre-orders. It's slimy and gives a terrible first impression of their product.

Tecnniqe

Banned
On one hand I commend Bungie for a modest sized beta. On the other I still think the pre-load should be up now for the public. Activision are just being dicks to try and milk this beta period for pre-orders. It's slimy and gives a terrible first impression of their product.
If they allowed preload you could play right away too

Once they grant you access you can play as soon as its go, even if they let you download it now.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

It's not even been 24 hours yet. I think that's fair enough. They did the same on console and for D1. Also, it's not just Activision that do it.

Plus most people haven't even preordered. Well yeah they did but then cancelled it. I ain't gave them my money yet and they won't get it until 24th October.

If they allowed preload you could play right away too

Once they grant you access you can play as soon as its go, even if they let you download it now.
No that's bullshit because there is a key requirement. No key on file, no log in. Only argument I can see for this is to smooth bandwidth demand.

JHall

So are there any shotguns that don't require special ammo? It seems like Hunters are super well suited to close range combat, but with shotguns having such limited ammo its kind of impractical to use them all the time.

No, there are none. Shotguns require heavy ammo now unlike the original Destiny.

JDB

Banned
Only just figured out you can explore quite a bit of the area at the start of the strike. Found some Fallen and even some vehicles to drive around in. :)

Tovarisc

Not sure why I expected even slight improvements, but PvP is same hot mess as it was in D1 and D2 PS4 beta.
  • P2P
  • Peakers advantage is nuts
  • Extremely latency depended, easily leads to players who take no damage or take damage 2+ seconds after the fact
  • Client side hit detection to some extent, bullet tracers coming through geometry and dealing damage
  • Easy to tell who has and hasn't host lag advantage
Easily worst and weakest part of Destiny like it has always been. Maybe it gets little better today as beta gets actual population.

dengatron

Not sure why I expected even slight improvements, but PvP is same hot mess as it was in D1 and D2 PS4 beta.
  • P2P
  • Peakers advantage is nuts
  • Extremely latency depended, easily leads to players who take no damage or take damage 2+ seconds after the fact
  • Client side hit detection to some extent, bullet tracers coming through geometry and dealing damage
  • Easy to tell who has and hasn't host lag advantage
Easily worst and weakest part of Destiny like it has always been. Maybe it gets little better today as beta gets actual population.
normally i'd agree with you in regards to destiny but playing 5+ hours yeterday i had 2 trades and 1 lagger. pretty amazing for the number of games i put in tbh

Only just figured out you can explore quite a bit of the area at the start of the strike. Found some Fallen and even some vehicles to drive around in. :)

Yes. On the Ps4/xbox beta you could also glitch out of the map to one of the possible dead zones. It was quite fun to explore them

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so when the hell can the "open beta" non-preorder folk download it?

Killzig

Stupid questions but I did play the beta now and am curious:
- Is the walking supposed to be that slow? Moving feels off for some reason. Or do you get faster by new equipment?
- Where is the loot in the beta?
- The Strike boss is pretty hard, no? Or is my team just too bad?
- Will there be a hub level or are you just in Orbit all the time in the final game?

-Examine your equipped armor in the inventory menu (I believe it's right click), you'll see there are two different nodes for the armor. Look for any node that buffs your mobility, that will increase your move speed. Resilience is toughness, recovery is your health regen.

-Loot drops are disabled in the beta. Only rewarded at end of activity.

-Your team is bad.

-There are probably multiple social hubs in the retail game. We've already gotten to play around with the farm in the console beta.

kuYuri

It stinks that the beta doesn't let me bind mouse wheel to actions, specifically melee. I like to set my melee to mouse wheel up on my shooters. :<

Dave_6

I'm a noob at playing with a mouse and KB but I'm forcing myself to use it in the beta. I managed to finish the strike after causing us to wipe a few times at the boss since it controls so awkward to me. Played a few matches of PvP with it before giving in and switching to a controller. Some of the default key bindings just feel really odd and I keep having to look at keys while playing to make sure I'm pressing the right one.

I really wish there was a patrol space in this so I could practice using KB&M cause PvP isn't the place to learn.

I'm a noob at playing with a mouse and KB but I'm forcing myself to use it in the beta. I managed to finish the strike after causing us to wipe a few times at the boss since it controls so awkward to me. Played a few matches of PvP with it before giving in and switching to a controller. Some of the default key bindings just feel really odd and I keep having to look at keys while playing to make sure I'm pressing the right one.

I really wish there was a patrol space in this so I could practice using KB&M cause PvP isn't the place to learn.

Can you not change your keybindings to whatever you want? Surely they will be changeable in the real game if they arent in the beta.

Dave_6

Can you not change your keybindings to whatever you want? Surely they will be changeable in the real game if they arent in the beta.

They are changeable but I really don't know yet what to change them to since I'm not used to playing with a keyboard.

AaronMT86

Noticed they changed the patrol area of Nessus. You can kill the Storm Minotaur now and it drops gold chest. Opening it gives you nothing in the beta however.

They are changeable but I really don't know yet what to change them to since I'm not used to playing with a keyboard.

I see, if you keep looking down just make it whatever would feel comfortable so you no longer have to. That being said, I am told some of the defaults are really bad in Destiny so don't feel like you should learn it the way it is defaulted.

Played a little bit of the PC beta night. Anyone else having an issue with enemies popping up out of no where? It is running smooth everywhere else but I noticed it quiet a bit during the Homecoming mission and the strike.

This wasn't happening due to me running past scripted parts of the missions. I would kill an enemy, then out of nowhere, it would just appear again like nothing happened.

Top Bottom