• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC Beta Thread - Codes are redeemable, preload starts Friday 25th, 10AM PDT

ZugZug123

Having not played D1, is PvP necessary for progression? Like the mode drops something (money/crafting parts/ whatever) you cannot get in any other mode?

edit: thanks to everyone that answered :)

MastAndo

This game runs gloriously, minus the issue with not being able to use HDR in 1440p that I'm having (but that might be a Windows thing). It's a shame, since even my 970 GTX seems to handle 1440p at 60 fps, which is all I'm looking for.

Even more of a shame is how gross the PS4 version is going to look and feel next week compared to this. I'm not what you would call a hardcore gamer, so I don't see myself starting over with PC version, but skipping the PS4 version entirely would be too much to bear. Any chance at all that Bungie pulls a rabbit out of their hat and announces save transfers from consoles before the PC release?

I swear I read we can download the BETA already in anticipation for the open BETA. Is this true? Unable to find a way to do it. If not a spare code would be wonderful! But happy to wait otherwise.

If you intentionally and immediately charge forward to break scripted events, then yeah it's possible that some of those events will be broken.

I'm not sure what to tell you, I'm just running through the level the way I did in Destiny 1, and Destiny 2 beta on PS4.

I'm not trying to break anything and I assure you much of this occured regardless of how fast I was running. I was able to recreate them several times to capture video.

Unless I should be slowly crawling forward through the levels? This game is supposed to be played at a fast pace. Why else is there a sprint button?

FinKL

Having not played D1, is PvP necessary for progression? Like the mode drops something (money/crafting parts/ whatever) you cannot get in any other mode?

edit: thanks to everyone that answered :)
Nope can skip PvP entirely. There are some quests for exotics or other items to get kills but they have laxed the requirements through the years.

The big thing is Iron Banner which does net you the best item level gear if D1 is any indictation which is a PvP mode where your level and gear matters

feel

Just played joined a Strike session and played for about 30min and felt zero lag despite having a steam download on the background sucking up all my shitty third world connection without my knowledge. What kind of wizardry is this p2p netcode?

edit-

I wish I could remap Sprint to anything else than left stick click on the controller, I find it very uncomfortable.

Snubbers

Because they have the same basic CPU.
Since I am having issues with it black screening after 10 mins of fulls creep play (OK in windowed mode), I've had a performance monitor open to check temps and other stuff, on my i7-4770k, the CPU load is around 26-30% for the intro mission, far let than I was expecting, not sure if truly representative, but if it is, you think the upclocked and slightly enhanced x1x CPU should be man enough....

Game plays great @ 1440p/60.

This game runs fantastic for me. I don't understand why they are delaying this until October, as it runs way better than most PC games at launch these days. Any hope the date might get moved up T^T

aravuus

What's with the beta code begging? I thought this was supposed to open for everyone today?

I was looking forward to checking the beta out when I got home, but I haven't pre-ordered the game or anything like that.

What's with the beta code begging? I thought this was supposed to open for everyone today?

I was looking forward to checking the beta out when I got home, but I haven't pre-ordered the game or anything like that.

It's open in about another 10 hours or so for everyone but I guess everyone wants in now now now.

Pkaz01

So it's really the same three classes with similar sub-classes? Are they going to put in a fourth in an expansion or something? That's kind of disappointing.

border

Because they were recorded a 30 fps.

Did they pre-record cutscenes featuring character models for every one of the possible class/gear combinations that a player character can have? The opening cutscene is obviously FMV, but the one at the end of the first mission is obviously going to have to be realtime.

border

I'm not trying to break anything and I assure you much of this occured regardless of how fast I was running. I was able to recreate them several times to capture video.

Unless I should be slowly crawling forward through the levels? This game is supposed to be played at a fast pace. Why else is there a sprint button?

Well at the beginning of the video, you immediately make a beeline for the first scripted event and beat the event trigger, which glitches things up somewhat. You can't burst through the door where Cayde appears because it's obviously a scripted event where they don't want you running in to screw up the scene they've written and designed. You immediately push through the door into the armory that Shaxx opens, and that also seems to screw with the scripting. It plays like a weird speedrun.

That's not to say that it's okay for scripting to be off like this, but it's not being played in the way that most people would play it. You don't have to crawl through the game at walking speed, but you're definitely pushing on some obvious pressure points.

Well at the beginning of the video, you immediately make a beeline for the first scripted event and beat the event trigger, which glitches things up somewhat. You can't burst through the door where Cayde appears because it's obviously a scripted event where they don't want you running in to screw up the scene they've written and designed. You immediately push through the door into the armory that Shaxx opens, and that also seems to screw with the scripting. It plays like a weird speedrun.

That's not to say that it's okay for scripting to be off like this, but it's not being played in the way that most people would play it. You don't have to crawl through the game at walking speed, but you're definitely pushing on some obvious pressure points.

I'll give you some of that. The Cayde door wasn't included because i couldn't get past him, the glitch there was the door not opening and him appearing up until I backtracked a few steps and turned around. I admit I'm playing it a little bit faster because I already did it a few times on PS4 but if you could see the unedited video I stop frequently to save and rerecord new clips.

This is also just one run, that first broken scripting with the rocks also happened despite me sitting at the start for 2 minutes to turn on the GeForce Experience. I assure you that I first attempted to play through this mission normally and encountered many of these same bugs, and some different ones, before restarting to capture it.

Also, as someone who's played quite a bit of the first game, I can confidently say that an awful lot of people will be sprinting through missions very quickly once they start doing it for the loot. So things like those broken enemies just standing around or not dying when I punch them are gonna be an issue.

That said, it's 2 months away and I'm positive all of the stuff here will be addressed.

dacalo

I played the first one on PS4 but picked up PC version this time around. Despite lack of extra goodies in the PS4 version, the enhancements available in the PC version just cannot be overlooked in my opinion. Unless you have your friends on PS4, there is no contest for me.

border

I'll give you some of that. The Cayde door wasn't included because i couldn't get past him, the glitch there was the door not opening and him appearing up until I backtracked a few steps and turned around.

That seems like another case where you passed the event trigger too early or too quickly.....same with the initial event that starts the level. Maybe you stood at the spawn point for couple minutes playing with the configuration, but the event trigger was ahead of where you started. So sprinting through it still caused issues.

I hope they get this all sorted either way though. Destiny 1 was not really heavy on scripted events that were triggered by player movement, so I hope that Bungie is aware of all the problems that might occur in this script-heavy approach to missions and gameplay.

That seems like another case where you passed the event trigger too early or too quickly.....same with the initial event that starts the level. Maybe you stood at the spawn point for couple minutes playing with the configuration, but the event trigger was ahead of where you started. So sprinting through it still caused issues.

I hope they get this all sorted either way though. Destiny 1 was not really heavy on scripted events that were triggered by player movement, so I hope that Bungie is aware of all the problems that might occur in this script-heavy approach to missions and gameplay.

For sure. It's worth noting I had a couple server disconnects too so maybe some wonky stuff was going on server side

Im gonna give it another try tomorrow with a different class and see what happens

ekim

Stupid questions but I did play the beta now and am curious:
- Is the walking supposed to be that slow? Moving feels off for some reason. Or do you get faster by new equipment?
- Where is the loot in the beta?
- The Strike boss is pretty hard, no? Or is my team just too bad?
- Will there be a hub level or are you just in Orbit all the time in the final game?

Stupid questions but I did play the beta now and am curious:
- Is the walking supposed to be that slow? Moving feels off for some reason. Or do you get faster by new equipment?
- Where is the loot in the beta?
- The Strike boss is pretty hard, no? Or is my team just too bad?
- Will there be a hub level or are you just in Orbit all the time in the final game?
Are you waking or sprinting? Movement speed is def a tad slower in D2.
Loot as in engrams are turned off. You'll get some loot from beating the boss or pvp, but it'll just repeat after while.
I wouldn't say it's too hard. Just gotta get used to the straits. The exotic arc smg and grenades help lots.
There's hub worlds.

Top Bottom