• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

How is a 2 man raid even possibly against Atheon? How do you cleanse yourself fast enough and also destroy the Oracles if you're sent away to the past or future?

If you're the relic holder, after being TP'd you kill the mobs inside and then drop the relic to shoot the oracles, picking it back up to cleanse in between.. You want to use MG or rocket launchers if possible, golden gun, and some oracles are able to be destroyed with the relic shield smash mid-air.

Right before you get teleported, you'll need a sunsinger warlock to stay outside and die before Atheon opens the portals, then self-revive as soon as you get teleported so they can stay outside to open the gates and let you back out.

Deku Tree

How is a 2 man raid even possibly against Atheon? How do you cleanse yourself fast enough and also destroy the Oracles if you're sent away to the past or future?

One warlock suicides before warp, uses infinite revive glitch. The other grabs relic and runs out of portal. Ignore oracles. Kill Atehon without times vengeance.

We did encounter some weird kind of glitch/ server lag when one guy went to the bathroom in the spirt bloom cave, where the adds came back after killing the Templar.

Yeah, that was definitely a new one (and very stupid) but I really had to be going anyway and we had already spent too long on it. I really do enjoy helping people run it but its not a good idea to take breaks in between runs since its just wasting everyone's time who is trying to help. As anyone from my original group knows, I'll run it into the ground until the group gets it but in my experience most other people are not that obsessive. Usually groups have 2 good runs in them, maybe 3 max until its better to just call it off until another day.

I guess at some point we're talking about (sports) psychology more than anything else. I ended up learning the spiral, but I just found the way I did the jumps to be the best way to do it - for me. In the same way, I just hop over the crack in the floor on the ledge, while some people like to do elaborate glide jumps around the crack or what not.

But technically, the easiest way to make the jumps is to use the alternate cave path, because there are no dead end platforms AND you skip the crack in the floor. And I'm sure there are people who have mastered that route, but again, personally, I've never seen anyone actually make it from there.

Its partly psychology but its also lots and lots and lots of experience with running it with many different groups (not just gaffers). Its about using the most reproducible inputs you can provide to the game's systems/physics that reliably produce the same outcome. Jumping from higher up leaves too much momentum to chance, which can result in goofy fall damage and collision detection which have wiped more runs than I can remember.

The alternate cave path has a huge drop down to the first platform, and using supers means you are putting a big expanse of death underneath you instead of platforms. Our first run today wiped because someone tried to blade dance across but a platform appeared right in front of them and they dropped. Every jump on the spiral is very small and simple. The dead end platforms are a total non-issue, and the crack is easily bypassed as long as people remember what jump they are using (i.e. warlocks have to double tap X quickly). There is no downside once you learn it but for whatever reason lots of people are resistant. Like I said before, this isn't directed just at you but rather based on my experiences with many different players.

I'm sorry but this is a truly terrible strat for flawless. Notice at 0:55 when he takes huge fall damage and only survives with a tiny sliver of health left? You don't leave anything to chance like that in flawless. Edit: Also notice how much further the platforms are spread apart where he's jumping. I would recommend against this strat as strongly as possible.

Lima

You need a Hunter and a sunbro. Sunbro jumps off and self revives once the Hunter got ported. Hunter smashes the dudes with the shield and then throw the relic on the ground to shoot the first three oracles. Then pick up relic again to cleanse yourself and throw it on the ground again to shoot the last four oracles with golden gun.

Axoman

Anyone have interest in a hard mode raid on Xbox one? We would probably aim for a 1030 to 11 pm EST start.

Right now we got two Lvl 30s maybe three with maxed weapons.

We can go from the start but also would take a Templar cp if anyone had one.

Gt: misterthirsty

I would be interested. I'm a level 29 warlock, 300 attack weapons (Atheon's Epilogue, Light Beware FR in Void and maxed Truth).

stb

Me! They're letting us out of work early! Plus you're a pro now from Xyor!

Can you join us Ourobolus?

Yeah, that could probably work for me. I'll be done with work around 3:30 (but I'm working from home, so I'm sure no one will miss me :D)

Great, it's a date. I'm fine with 3:30; I was just throwing 3 out there as a ballpark. Same for you, Hawkian?

I've got to do it twice more too. I'm Pacific time but flexible. Psn - someday.

Sorry, someday, looks like we're full. I'll add you and maybe we can do it next week. Or if i have time today after the Hawkian/Ourobolus run.

Strider

I know I sound like a broken record but holy shit the team balancing in PvP is just completely terrible. If I could only change one thing about this game that's what I would change.

Zocano

I know I sound like a broken record but holy shit the team balancing in PvP is just completely terrible. If I could only change one thing about this game that's what I would change.

Team matchmaking will forever be shit in shooters until they start trying to put together avg k/d and w/l ratios into account. I would think and hope they do but I doubt it after seeing the tendency for super imbalance from so many shooters.

Strider

Team matchmaking will forever be shit in shooters until they start trying to put together avg k/d and w/l ratios into account.

They attempt this in Destiny and it's a complete nightmare if you are an above average player. It's literally drop 40+ kills or lose... Hell you still might lose lol It just stacks your team with the worst players the search can find

Edit: Actually when I think about it I have gone over 40 kills once in Destiny. My team did in fact still lose.

DjRalford

You need a Hunter and a sunbro. Sunbro jumps off and self revives once the Hunter got ported. Hunter smashes the dudes with the shield and then throw the relic on the ground to shoot the first three oracles. Then pick up relic again to cleanse yourself and throw it on the ground again to shoot the last four oracles with golden gun.

I thought the cleanse cooldown resets when you pick the relic back up? Or is that just for a new relic holder.

Deku Tree

Playing IB last week I was only able to finish the invective bounty playing with randoms. I went on my best kill streaks with randoms. Playing team vs team is much harder. The teams are good. And I'm never as good as some of the hardcore GAF squads.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Anyone on xbox one that still runs the raid/nightfalls/weekly's regularly? Most of the people I've played with don't play as much anymore.

Feel free to add me, gt purg3

how do you get back to the top platform from the oracle part

Just wipe and reset. You all spawn back up there.

Playing IB last week I was only able to finish the invective bounty playing with randoms. I went on my best kill streaks with randoms. Playing team vs team is much harder. The teams are good. And I'm never as good as some of the hardcore GAF squads.

Level of competition was much higher in IB than normal Crucible in my experience, especially when you get matched with other fire teams of 3-4+ who are all working together.

gonna hop on in a bit. guess i'll do some PvP.

Are there enough people for 6-person Clash team? I could get back on here in a bit, I know Rubenov was looking for some PvP action earlier.

Anyone on xbox one that still runs the raid/nightfalls/weekly's regularly? Most of the people I've played with don't play as much anymore.

I am a 28 Lock that will always fill a spot in a nightfall or weekly. As for raids, I do what I can when I can but I am going through a lot of scheduling issues with RL. We are planning on possibly raiding this week. Friday evening perhaps.

Add me. CthulhuSars

LiK

They attempt this in Destiny and it's a complete nightmare if you are an above average player. It's literally drop 40+ kills or lose... Hell you still might lose lol It just stacks your team with the worst players the search can find

Edit: Actually when I think about it I have gone over 40 kills once in Destiny. My team did in fact still lose.

I mentioned this before, but the better you are, the more likely I think it puts you into a group of shitty players to balance it out. I've tried carrying a team of randoms before but we still lost. it sucks.

I think it's better if you have one or two other friends in a fireteam. it seems to be better cuz it won't match you up with other full fireteams which can be pretty tough.

You wipe.

Just wipe and reset. You all spawn back up there.

Level of competition was much higher in IB than normal Crucible in my experience, especially when you get matched with other fire teams of 3-4+ who are all working together.

lol yeah! I meant how can you jump back up there i saw someone the other day come back up to the top platform from the bottom.

i was like how in the world?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm sorry but this is a truly terrible strat for flawless. Notice at 0:55 when he takes huge fall damage and only survives with a tiny sliver of health left? You don't leave anything to chance like that in flawless. Edit: Also notice how much further the platforms are spread apart where he's jumping. I would recommend against this strat as strongly as possible.
I've never done it myself, but I assume that at some point you can master that path as much as you can master the spiral. At least, you figure Bungie had to put those things there for a reason anyway.

Huh, Gunslinger and Gjallahorn to take out Oracles. Of course.

I didn't even think of the Gatekeeper part, which gets funky because the second person needs to get the second relic before the first Praetorian comes and closes the gate on them. Hah.

TP-DK

Anyone knows how much xp is needed for each upgrade on legendary and exotic weapons?

And last night rngesus blessed with the last raid armor I needed for my Warlock, so what exotic armor is the best for Sunsinger?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys, about the OT/thread status when The Dark Below releases:

Operations in here/the OT12 if reached by then will continue as normal. This isn't just the "Official Destiny and/or Dark Below discussion and review thread," it's a very active subcommunity. As many have noted, a good percentage of the posts are people grouping up or seeking help with a specific task, and these threads should remain a place for that for as long as there are people on GAF playing the game. I know a lot of us are relying on Subscriptions
or tabs we never, ever close
rather than seeking the thread out through the forum anyway. Furthermore, remember that not everyone actively playing Destiny is necessarily buying the DLC right away or at all, and they shouldn't be boxed out of the discussion.

Per NeoGAF policy ("new thread for new news"), a official The Dark Below thread on Gaming side would be appropriate, but I'm not gonna be the one to do it. If someone wants to claim that responsibility, it's up for grabs so feel free to call it! I can't promise to be particularly active in such a thread, depending a bit on how it goes.
Oh, now I get it. Thought Hawk turned into Dax.
The amount of people in this thread who haven't seen Spinal Tap is too damn high.
yeah Hawkian, that is seriously a quality OP. You don't have fancy graphics or a thousand bullet points or GAF Magazine photoshops, but you perfectly capture the soul of Destiny and this particular point in time in the game's history. I'm sure plenty of the feels in this OP will be outdated a year from now, but I think that's exactly the point of why it's so great :)

(plus of course the wealth of player created guides that are beyond helpful to new and grizzled players alike)
Thank you very much for these words, really means a lot. :D
Great, it's a date. I'm fine with 3:30; I was just throwing 3 out there as a ballpark. Same for you, Hawkian?
Word!
My homemade Hawkmoon lore:

<An old man lies on the ground with the cauterized stump of his leg still smoking and the bodies of a half dozen Vandals around him. He doesn't wield the Light in this life, but something about his calm demeanor in the face of death suggests that he knows he'll be back again soon.>

*rattling cough*

Come here, stranger. Guardian, is it? You have the look. You've been to the land of two rivers and seen a world without a Sun. That's what the Darkness brings for all of us, I know it.

Listen to me. I'm the last of my kind. My people still thrived after the Traveler fell, but being out here- hunted for centuries- has taken its toll. The cruel end intended for my ancestors is mine to bear, and so bear it I will.

My grandfather was the last Hata&#322;ii, a spiritual man who could convene with spirits. My father never believed in him, but I never forgot his lessons. I took all I learned to heart and saw the signs of the spirits' influence everywhere, even in these monsters returned at last to the fourth world to torment us.

My father was a more practical man. He made this.

<the old man hefts his pistol in a surprisingly sure grip>

He called it Atsah Ooljee... the Hawkmoon. He was never a good shot, but he was a city man befire the Collapse and a skilled gunsmith. He made it for a sportsman who wanted something "authentic" to put on his hip when he bragged about hunting those Dragons out on Venus. In the end it stayed in the family, and now it's mine.

I gave it more than a name, Guardian. I gave it meaning. Each bullet is a stone cast back into the great lake; sending these devils back to dark, and trying to save Mankind.

I'm dying. I know that. I'll be with my people, and live in new lands, for a time. I might be back some day to walk with spirits. I might not.

For now, take this. Keep my memory alive. Slay the monsters that come for the people left behind.
Works for me.

In all honestly, I'm happy with just having the coolest flavor text in the game.

Add me, toejam2501, play quite frequently.

I took the liberty to add both of you. XboxOne Destiny GAF players are a rare thing. I already did nightfall twice and the Weekly once but I am down to tag along and do anything and everything. At the moment I just need to collect material, and shards to level up my weapons.

Strider

I mentioned this before, but the better you are, the more likely I think it puts you into a group of shitty players to balance it out..

It does. It has to. This is the game I played this morning:

B3YtMdEIQAEJHkS.jpg:large

B3YtQ10IQAAKefF.jpg:large

Not only are their scores terrible, but look at their player levels. It didn't even match me with anyone level 20 or higher. The fuck?

I'm above average at PvP but I'm not some great player that can carry teams like this. The matchmaking attempts to balance games out but every single game my team always gets blown out. the game should never, ever stack a group of low levels on one team like this. They are at a big disadvantage.

Doodis

Anyone have interest in a hard mode raid on Xbox one? We would probably aim for a 1030 to 11 pm EST start.

Right now we got two Lvl 30s maybe three with maxed weapons.

We can go from the start but also would take a Templar cp if anyone had one.

Gt: misterthirsty

I'm in. Level 30 warlock.

GT: Les Doodis

LiK

B3YtMdEIQAEJHkS.jpg:large

B3YtQ10IQAAKefF.jpg:large

Not only are their scores terrible, but look at their player levels. It didn't even match me with anyone level 20 or higher. The fuck?

I'm above average at PvP but I'm not some great player that can carry teams like this. The matchmaking attempts to balance games out but every single game my team always gets blown out. the game should never, ever stack a group of low levels on one team like this. They are at a big disadvantage.

HAHAHA, we need to play some games tonight.

Mupod

Hoodbury and I ran into a 0.0 K/D guy last night. He had the most control point captures though! Pacifist mode

Saw the score, thought woh...then saw your teammate's levels. That's brutal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom