• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Templar on Hard Mode is fucking impossible.

Not at all. Completed it this morning with a bunch of randoms. Simplest way is only relic holder goes down and the rest help the relic holder take out oracles from the top. If the relic holder focusses on the oracles at the back it's for the best since the harpies that pass them will eventually move to the front and stay. If you leave them alive more harpies do not respawn giving the relic holder less headaches.

The only time it really gets tough is when the templar teleports to the front (left) and blocks the other players' line of sight of the oracles (while piling on the damage if they don't keep moving) however, the relic holder should be able to handle those instances

Well I just ran it with 6 level 30s who always play together and we just got stuck for 4 hours

Fuck that encounter. I will never do another hard mode run of Vault of Glass again.

Seep

So my shit streak continues.

1st Nightfall - A single mote of light which I later discovered was for levelling up. So fuck-all.

2nd Nightfall - Legendary engram turns into scout rifle I've had like 5 times and sharded each time.

Hard raid - Finally got a hunter chest piece (yay) still looking for arms and helmet though. Still no fatebringer or Vex.

I want to punch whoever thought RNG was a good idea.

I've got the feeling that he'll have a heavy. Thunderlord hasn't appeared though so it could be that

and I saw the effect for the new exotic launcher with the dragon/shark on it. It drops a solar grenade on detonation. Same animation too. Lame as fuck
I would be VERY ok with Thunderlord. Really really want that gun. One of the only exotics left that I need.
Really wanted to hit level 30 before the DLC but the raid refuses to give me the Titan leg armor. The only type of armor there is no exotic for. Four normal raids in a row of nothing but ascendant materials and chatterwhite. I did get the helm on the hard raid last week at least. Gjallahorn and the leg armor is really all I've been aiming for as my goals before the DLC but no luck there.
I feel your pain. There's a lot of us in the same boat.

All I need is chest armor and it just won't drop. Hopefully it will this week.

What are you guys doing? When we first ran it, had 5 level 30s and a 29. Took us ~40ish mins to beat the Templat legit since I kept screwing up using the relic :p and afterwards we manage to beat the Templar on our first try for run 2 and run 3.

What are you guys doing? When we first ran it, had 5 level 30s and a 29. Took us ~40ish mins since I kept screwing up using the relic :p and afterwards we manage to beat the Templar on our first try for run 2 and run 3.

None of us have ever run it legit. Ever. Every single one of us have never done anything other than push templar off so we have zero idea of the strategy that works

None of us have ever run it legit. Ever. Every single one of us have never done anything other than push templar off so we have zero idea of the strategy that works
Ahh once you guys get the flow and how to fight him, it's pretty easy. We stayed on the right side once you get to the Templar fight. Relic holder should kill the harpies so he can get his super fast as possible. Super then dps him. We didn't worry about oracles and only destroy the oracles that was visible.

orbabsorb

Neo Member
Dear Bungie,

Fix your loot system.
5 Raids with my Titan and not even a raid boxer with skid marks.
... but yeah, 5 Praedyth in a row. What the fuck am I supposed to do with 5 Praedyths!???
Use them as projectiles??

*throws a goddamn sniper rifle at Atheon*

Ahh once you guys get the flow and how to fight him, it's pretty easy. We stayed on the right side once you get to the Templar fight. Relic holder should kill the harpies so he can get his super fast as possible. Super then dps him. We didn't worry about oracles and only destroy the oracles that was visible.

This is what we usually do, just ignore the oracles and kill them only if they are close, stick together, and extra careful with the detention, too many rocket launcher suicides already.

Yesterday we tried sniping from above, it works really well too.

Dear Bungie,

Fix your loot system.
... but yeah, 5 Praedyth in a row. What the fuck am I supposed to do with 5 Praedyths!???

Shoot snipers with your sniper, what could go wrong?

NeOak

Dear Bungie,

Fix your loot system.

You're supposed to press the trigger of all five to shoot at the same time with:

1. right index finger
2. Left index finger
3. Left foot pinky finger
4. Right foot pinky finger
5. Penis

there was a time when atheon took 4 hours of attempts. now it takes all of 4 minutes if it doesn't glitch. the templar is mechanically less intensive and will go by just as quick when people figure out the strategy. but of course, the existence of an easy alternative is more attractive, especially when players are grinding for their last bit of raid armor. it's always bothered me though that despite the raid not being all that interestingly designed, i spent the majority of my time ignoring the challenge it attempted to throw at me. i think i've spent more time on failed cheese attempts than i have on failed legitimate runs.

everyone will just have to relearn the encounter. with the new raid on the way though, i doubt there will be much investment in it.

orbabsorb

Neo Member
This is what we usually do, just ignore the oracles and kill them only if they are close, stick together, and extra careful with the detention, too many rocket launcher suicides already.

Yesterday we tried sniping from above, it works really well too.

Shoot snipers with your sniper, what could go wrong?

Meta One-shot Atheon. That would be awesome.

The Ultra5Akimbo version of NeOak sound badasse too.
Shooting a sniper rifle with my penis was always a dream of mine ... but I'm a bit worried about recoil.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
We beat him pretty quickly the first time. I was the relic holder and killing the harpies was my job (pretty easy with R2 smash). We were all camping in the top right corner near the cave with WoL. The second time we fought him things were a bit heated because he went into enrage mode and there were minotaurs everywhere lol. But we did it.

Once his shield is down you have to take 20% of his health off. Pretty easy with Ice Breakers and GHorn.

Steroyd

What are you guys doing? When we first ran it, had 5 level 30s and a 29. Took us ~40ish mins to beat the Templat legit since I kept screwing up using the relic :p and afterwards we manage to beat the Templar on our first try for run 2 and run 3.

I still feel there must be a more efficient way to do it than like we did, granted dying didn't help with the DPS, but neither was getting the mark of negation just as the shield went down either, all 3 successful times we were too close to enrage.

Zakalwe

Banned

I really hope there's no way to cheese sections of the new raid. A group I ran with took an hour or so to beat Templar last night because no one but two if us had ever tried to fight him on hard.

Relying on cheese makes for bad habits.

It's not a difficult encounter. No single element is particularly tricky to manage.

Harpies do little damage by themselves, you just need to make sure they don't overwhelm you. Relic holder can smash them for super regen. Use class abilities that generate orbs.

Kill oracles. If you miss one wait to cleanse before dropping shields. Send two out to kill any Oracle you can't get line of sight on. One to kill the Oracle and one to cover.

When shooting the Templar spread out a little so his barrage isn't hurled at everyone at once. If it's coming your way then be cautious.

If you see the red circle when he's about to teleport as you damage him and you're a Titan with your super ready them jump on the circle and throw up your ward. You'll keep the Templar exposed for much longer as he won't be able to teleport and recharge shields for an extended time.

Stick together so you can cover each other but don't stay too bunched. A good position is the back right cave platform then alternating by moving down in front of the door at the back in the middle if the Templar moves too close.

Main tips:
Kill oracles.
Manage harpies.
Stick together.
If using rockets set positions when firing to avoid misadventure.
Play defensively but make the most of Templar shield downtime - IWoL helps a lot. Use it!

Don't panic: nothing can one shot you here unless you die by misadventure.

Modify the above to suit.

I still feel there was a more efficient way to do it than like we did, granted dying didn't help with the DPS, but neither was getting the mark of negation just as the shield went down either, all 3 successful times we were too close to enrage.
You're right. The first attempt was rough till we switch relic holders. Still had some weird deaths. I have no idea if our raiding team will be doing the VoG. Doesnt matter to me if we are or not. If we are, then its only a matter of time till we find a very efficient way of killing the Templar. LOL yeah I think the second time we only had 2 people dpsing the Templar and 1 guy holding the relic. Plus didnt help I had NAT issues with you :p

I really hope there's no way to cheese sections of the new raid. A group I ran with took an hour or so to beat Templar last night because no one but two if us had ever tried to fight him on hard.

Relying on cheese makes for bad habits.
Yeah I agree with you. Everyone should learn the proper way to do a boss fight at first. I can understand cheesing just to speed things up but atleast learn how the battle works! I wonder how my RL friends are gonna do. I dont think any one of them know how to use the relic property. When I first ran it with them, I ask if they want to learn the proper way to fight the Templar or the fast way. None of them wanted to learn.

How is everyone getting Gjallarhorns??? Not fair. Totally not fair. I should start a Timebreaker sparrow taxi service for guardians at a reasonable price.

I can't believe i got one tonight. I was telling everyone in y group about how everyone is getting a gjallarhorn and sure enough I get one after beating hard mode atheon

Steroyd

You're most likely right. The first attempt was rough till we switch relic holders. Still had some weird deaths. I have no idea if our raiding team is still doing VoG. Doesnt matter to me if we are or not. If we are, then its only a matter of time till we find a very efficient way of killing the Templar. LOL yeah I think the second time we only had 2 people dpsing the Templar and 1 guy holding the relic. Plus didnt help I had NAT issues with you :p

Yeah, can't argue results, and it was probably the last time we doing that on reset day, so Meh overall.

Also I was being an idiot all 3 runs, whether I was a titan, warlock or hunter I kept trying to stop the Templar from teleporting and getting creamed and I was rocking a Gjallarhorn ffs.

Is it me or has the game been super generous? Since the patch I've gotten TLW, ice breaker, Gjallarhorn, a legendary FWC fusion rifle and a legendary FWC rocket launcher. Also finally got the timepiece which completes my raid weapon collection plus two Hezen vengeances, a foil and a revenge sniper. I haven't had this many weapons drop for me ever

I forgot I also got a monte Carlo today

We beat him pretty quickly the first time. I was the relic holder and killing the harpies was my job (pretty easy with R2 smash). We were all camping in the top right corner near the cave with WoL. The second time we fought him things were a bit heated because he went into enrage mode and there were minotaurs everywhere lol. But we did it.

Once his shield is down you have to take 20% of his health off. Pretty easy with Ice Breakers and GHorn.

Yup also speccing for Orb generation so the relic holder can get his super up faster is very important. You have 8(?) minutes until enrage so speed and damage is important.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yup also speccing for Orb generation so the relic holder can get his super up faster is very important. You have 8(?) minutes until enrage so speed and damage is important.

Also: don't panic!

Assigning roles would go a long way to avoiding this.

Relic holder.
Titan comfortable with blocking teleport if the opportunity presents.
Two people to kill out of sight Oracles.
Positions for those firing rockets at Templar so no misadventure vs team mate.
Etc...

someday

Banned
I hit level 30 today. I've only done the raid 3 times, all normal. Feels weird.

Also got Thunderlord from a nightfall. What's the consensus if I already have nice MG heavies of all 3 damage types?

Speaking of detain shields, are they glitched as well during Templar fight? Sometimes we would take down his shields and he would detain some and not others and other times he would delay putting on a detain. Actually killed myself with it with my own rocket when he detained me a couple of seconds after everyone else.

Ran the friggin Hard Raid twice.

What do I get? The stupid Timebreaker Sparrow.

BOTH FRIGGIN TIMES!

This game is getting on my nerves.

Yeah, can't argue results, and it was probably the last time we doing that on reset day, so Meh overall.

Also I was being an idiot all 3 runs, whether I was a titan, warlock or hunter I kept trying to stop the Templar from teleporting and getting creamed and I was rocking a Gjallarhorn ffs.
Atleast you didnt knock someone off the ledge while using R2 with the relic.

Speaking of detain shields, are they glitched as well during Templar fight? Sometimes we would take down his shields and he would detain some and not others and other times he would delay putting on a detain. Actually killed myself with it with my own rocket when he detained me a couple of seconds after everyone else.
I notice some weird things as well. If you have the relic and get detain, using R2 and escaping the detain bubble without destroying the detain bubble causes death. There was a few random deaths while I had full health. But meh who knows?

Zakalwe

Banned
I hit level 30 today. I've only done the raid 3 times, all normal. Feels weird.

Also got Thunderlord from a nightfall. What's the consensus if I already have nice MG heavies of all 3 damage types?

It's good.

For ARC and pvp it can be devastating, but there are other legendary MGs that get close enough that it doesn't quite justify the exotic slot unless you want/need to abuse the damage modifier.

Imo.

SkylineRKR

I do think they increased drop rates, perhaps to warm up for the DLC.

Everyone I played with got something good, and they all noticed.

He's not that hard really, but you need good teamplay. We ignored the oracles and all stood together at the right flank, behind rocks. That was our meet up place to cleanse. One is on Harpy duty, others DPS boss.

I notice some weird things as well. If you have the relic and get detain, using R2 and escaping the detain bubble without destroying the detain bubble causes death. There was a few random deaths while I had full health. But meh who knows?

No this is working as intended (for real). This is why it's important to call out before taking down his shields since sometimes people will be jumping and if you get detained while jumping you will fall out and die. Destroying the detain shield is mandatory.

Also why it's important to be on the ground when Atheon teleports everyone.

Edit: and yeah the ground smash sometimes doesn't destroy the shield. Very irksome. R1 or simple R2 gives better results I heard.

Yep, Templar on Hard after the cheese takes a bit getting used to.

Our group yesterday was 4 30s and 2 29s. Took us about 20 mins to complete entrance, confluxes and oracles. Just a nice, relaxed stroll.

Then we got stuck at Templar for 1 hour. At least one of us kept dying either by Detain fields or overwhelmed by harpies.

We finally settled on a strategy with 4 guys up top sniping oracles and harpies and dumping on Templar when the shield was down (2 30s and 2 29s), and me and Kitaj below. Kitaj was relic holder and I was with him to help destroy the field if he got detained, since we had a few times when the relic holder got killed by the bubble.

We finally made it through. Got by the Gatekeepers section in about 3 quick tries, so around 10 minutes,

And then we got to Atheon. Motherfucker kept glitching on us. Teleported 2 instead of 3, oracles just killed us out of nowhere really quickly, and for some reason whenever I was relic holder coming out of the portal I always came back out on the same place and had to try to cross the portal again!

I even saw Kitaj getting detained as if he wasn't going to get teleported and then a couple of seconds later he gets teleported and killed by the detain. Another whole hour just on that asshole due to all the cheesing he was doing on us.

Steroyd

That has been a consistent thing since when I started doing Raids back in September, and the worse thing is I don't know what I do wrong or what to do to stop that in a reliable fashion, outside of that I build up the super and take down the templar shield really quick and I'd be first in line to hold the relic otherwise but that one achilles heel, which is pretty important in hard mode.

Korten

Banned
So...

I only have 1 worry about the expansion pack and it's... Will anyone do Vault of Glass anymore?

Now here's my thinking, we know there will be new vanguard gear and no doubt new gear added to the level 28 strike playlist. High chances said gear for both will be equal to the VoG raid gear drops (otherwise they would be pointless.)

So will the Hard mode VoG start dropping gear equal to that of the normal mode of Crota's End?

I just worry that the game may run into a problem where new content basically removes the need to do old content. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

edit: Also these screenshots on the wiki:

http://www.destinypedia.com/images/b/bb/Destiny_POoD_Location_Pic_5.png

http://www.destinypedia.com/images/c/c1/Destiny_POoD_Location_Pic_6.png

Where these cut!? I would love a forest area in the game and these seems far to detailed to be simply unfinished content...

k1t4j

That has been a consistent thing since when I started doing Raids back in September, and the worse thing is I don't know what I do wrong or what to do to stop that in a reliable fashion, outside of that I build up the super and take down the templar shield really quick and I'd be first in line to hold the relic otherwise but that one achilles heel, which is pretty important in hard mode.

Atleast you didnt knock someone off the ledge while using R2 with the relic.

How we did it after this annoying detail killed me a few times was we had 1 guy next to me at all times so if I get detained we would help me kill the shield.

Something else weird was also the detain shield would show up a few seconds after and would be placed on my last known location... was a bit annoying

So...

I only have 1 worry about the expansion pack and it's... Will anyone do Vault of Glass anymore?

Now here's my thinking, we know there will be new vanguard gear and no doubt new gear added to the level 28 strike playlist. High chances said gear for both will be equal to the VoG raid gear drops (otherwise they would be pointless.)

So will the Hard mode VoG start dropping gear equal to that of the normal mode of Crota's End?

I just worry that the game may run into a problem where new content basically removes the need to do old content. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

this has also been a concern of mine. once a player hits level 20, anything that isn't legendary or exotic is basically rendered obsoloete (except for the rare occasion where a rare weapon is useful in the crucible). it would be either a huge oversight or troubling design decision if all the gear we've accumulated thus far becomes useless by expansions. at the very least, a way to upgrade them would go a long way.

Jaeyden

Beat Hard twice yesterday. First time we tried with whole group below for a while then finally settled on relic holder below getting the oracles we couldn't (in the back and hidden behind templar sometimes). Second time through we beat him in about 15 minutes. Strat seems pretty solid.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but Super Good Advice is the bomb on detain shields and oracles. Bullets don't register as hits so you can solo oracles in a portal while almost all of your bullets are returned to SGA. Helps a shit ton when you got 29's in the Venus portal, relic holder and other guy can take down Preatorian while SGA melts oracles.

someday

Banned
It's good.

For ARC and pvp it can be devastating, but there are other legendary MGs that get close enough that it doesn't quite justify the exotic slot unless you want/need to abuse the damage modifier.

Imo.
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with my ZAs and the Dead Orbit gun but I'm always happy to get another exotic. I'll level it up and keep it on the back burner.

So...

This happens with most mmo games. Maybe one day destiny will come out of the mmo closet.
Unless they make a higher level version of vog or make it drop new gear nobody will run it except for ppl who are crusty that they still don't have a vex... Like me.

Zakalwe

Banned
this has also been a concern of mine. once a player hits level 20, anything that isn't legendary or exotic is basically rendered obsoloete (except for the rare occasion where a rare weapon is useful in the crucible). it would be either a huge oversight or troubling design decision if all the gear we've accumulated thus far becomes useless by expansions. at the very least, a way to upgrade them would go a long way.

Even with all their strange decisions, I can't see them missing this.

From a purely cynical point of view: the more valid content they have the easier it is to sell.

But then we've seen some shit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom