• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

So people are freaking out about a snapshot of the DLC from mid November by one source that isn't even an official source? The core game has changed a lot since then, I expect the DLC will have too. Everyone just calm down until we hear more in the weekly update, and Bungie to officially comment on what's all in the DLC, and how it will work.

Dude from Game Informer played through the DLC. He's seen it first hand. Not sure how it can get more official than that unless Bungie has changed how it works in the time since he played it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My kid and I have zero exotics between us, but we're close to the point of earning them. This is one of the few times that being this far behind the pack is going to pay off. Woo! I guess?
Many design decisions will be based around the middle of the total curve rather than the average participant in this thread.
It does seem like a more fair approach would be for the exchange to be a straight upgrade. Strange coins and glimmer for the exotic in the same state you handed it over - just with the new upgrades grafted on. Resetting seems needlessly cruel.
true.
Speaking of which, anyone free at ~4 PST today for a LV 26 run on the weekly heroic? I'm hoping one more will be free to join Geneijin and Nat. If no one can make it I bet they can pull it off between them...

She's near level 26 now and getting excited about the prospect of raiding. :D
I'll join you guys and we can do the 28 if that's alright with you. With the Burn active a 26 can contribute without any issue.

zewone

As I mentioned above, maxed current weapons will still do resoundingly more damage than brand new weapons that are unupgraded. .

New or upgrade exotics will be starting at 302 attack.

destiny-4th-horseman-exotic-shotgun-stats.jpg

Strider

I'm surprised people are upset they're adding in more grinds. Coming from MMOs this is pretty typical and normal and I'm not at all surprised by this (in fact, I sort of called/expected these sort of things).

Yah, I get it, people don't like grinds a lot of the time, but treating this game like an MMO (because it basically is one come end-game) sort of puts most of this in to perspective.

Except this isn't an MMO and doesn't have near the content of one. It shouldn't be nearly as grindy as an MMO at all. Not even close.

Dragon's Breath has what looks like a solar grenade upon impact, hard to top Wolfpack rounds id say, but who knows.

I want to say it has a cluster upgrade though so I wonder if the solar impact is simply another perk for DoT on the ground. If it can hit with multiple clusters AND leave the DoT, it could be better than Ballerhorn. I'm not sure if this is the case, however.

Trakan

So people are freaking out about a snapshot of the DLC from mid November by one source that isn't even an official source? The core game has changed a lot since then, I expect the DLC will have too. Everyone just calm down until we hear more in the weekly update, and Bungie to officially comment on what's all in the DLC, and how it will work.

Game Informer isn't some random magazine nobody has heard of. There's a reason they got the invite to go and test stuff. They're owned by fucking Gamestop, the company who no doubt sold the most copies of Destiny. They even mention Exotic shards, which were just introduced two days ago.

This is how it's going to work.

Bungie needs to spice up the factions now that everyone is vying to exceed level 30 to level 32

the factions are rendered useless after a high level unless your pray to land a weapon from leveling up high levels in the faction, which is by chance because you can as a non member and then get a legendary weapon drop that does not belong to your faction.

Time to put for sale the hidden faction weapons and time to put up some special armor to justify sticking with a faction after reaching a high Light level

My kid and I have zero exotics between us, but we're close to the point of earning them. This is one of the few times that being this far behind the pack is going to pay off. Woo! I guess?

It does seem like a more fair approach would be for the exchange to be a straight upgrade. Strange coins and glimmer for the exotic in the same state you handed it over - just with the new upgrades grafted on. Resetting seems needlessly cruel.

Speaking of which, anyone free at ~4 PST today for a LV 26 run on the weekly heroic? I'm hoping one more will be free to join Geneijin and Nat. If no one can make it I bet they can pull it off between them...

She's near level 26 now and getting excited about the prospect of raiding. :D

I have a lvl26 alt that needs to run it but I would need to go earlier than that.

Homeboyd

I think some type of if you have an item i want and I have an item you want we come to an agreement and we trade said items. Call me CRAZY but i think it would work.
You're crazy.

It would be game breaking. Everyone would always have the best of everything and people would stop playing content much sooner. It has to be highly restrictive so that players carefully consider what they're giving up to get what they really want.

LordofPwn

What is going on in this thread?

I think Bungie would shoot themselves in the foot if they make this too much of a grind at some point you guys have to stand up and say enough is enough.
People getting prematurely upset about what game informer has said about the DLC that they played like half a month a go. Mainly dealing with converting your old good exotics into even better exotics so as to not make them useless with the new content, which many believed would have been the case.

Zakalwe

Banned
Second thing.... that's the cost of doing business. I am constantly keeping in mind that the alternative here is not "some easier way of getting our exotics all upgraded!" it's "all your old exotics are obsolete now forever."

It's not binary, they could have designed the upgrade system in myriad ways that didn't require us to reset the weapon and straight out grind again.

rNilla

Bungie needs to spice up the factions now that everyone is vying to exceed level 30 to level 32

the factions are rendered useless after a high level unless your pray to land a weapon from leveling up high levels in the faction, which is by chance because you can as a non member and then get a legendary weapon drop that does not belong to your faction.

Time to put for sale the hidden faction weapons and time to put up some special armor to justify sticking with a faction after reaching a high Light level

I'd love to see the factions have a bit more utility beyond "hey I'm that guy that sometimes gives you missions on Patrol and occasionally sends you a package with a Mote of Light."

GhaleonEB

I'll join you guys and we can do the 28 if that's alright with you. With the Burn active a 26 can contribute without any issue.

She's almost 26 - still a level 25 Hunter. Would a three level span to 28 be too difficult for the weekly? I've done it on story missions solo, but it can be rough. (This morning I did the daily story at level 28 when I'm 26, but it took a lot of patience.)

Actually, crap. She'll have to run it tomorrow, I forgot she's at the dentist today. Nevermind!

The smartest and most logical option is to put another node on the existing exotic. Even if it took 200k XP, it'd be fine. No RNG involved, no wasting any time, no grind, no waiting on an NPC that only shows up once a week.

Bingo.

I'm fine with updating my existing exotic but starting all over again? It's like they're begging me to play something else? And I just got Mordor so...

Damn, Bungie. Two steps forward, one step back.

Really hope vanilla legendaries aren't left in the dust. Let us upgrade those to the current level cap as well!

Zocano

Except this isn't an MMO and doesn't have near the content of one. It shouldn't be nearly as grindy as an MMO at all. Not even close.

Aside from content, it pretty much functions like an MMO. It falls into so many tropes by end game that it pretty much is one. Treating it as such makes a lot of their decisions make sense.

Ridli

I'm surprised people are upset they're adding in more grinds. Coming from MMOs this is pretty typical and normal and I'm not at all surprised by this (in fact, I sort of called/expected these sort of things).

Yah, I get it, people don't like grinds a lot of the time, but treating this game like an MMO (because it basically is one come end-game) sort of puts most of this in to perspective.

Modern MMOs have gotten a lot better at making any grind feel less punishing than this. Having to re-level your exotics is antiquated in this type of product.

void666

Banned
Y'all didn't want to farm world matts, right?
Well hope you like farming Glimmer.

7000 a pop, per upgrade.
**cues up Exclusion zone**

Wait till they nerf the majors there, too

Because we will upgrade our stuff all at once right? Nope.
Because having a whole week to gather 7000 glimmer must be some hardcore farming right? Nope.

Eh, I'll live with having to re-level the exotics but the thing I'm hoping changes is Xur's availability. He's only around for 2 days and the 2 days most people go out of town for. If you have weekend plans you're kinda screwed.

Is there any reason not to make him a permanent NPC now? And just have his wares on a weekly timer?

Or at least let us do business with him via the companion app.

Coconut

Banned
You're crazy.

It would be game breaking. Everyone would always have the best of everything and people would stop playing content much sooner. It has to be highly restrictive so that players carefully consider what they're giving up to get what they really want.

Loot lust, is a real thing and once you get one item you'll want another thing and the game has new items every few months and since you can only have one exotic equipped people still would look for legendaries. If that's too nutty allow every month a market for people to sell/buy/trade gear.

Feorax

I need to get a 30 light helmet to get to 30. I don't know whether to see if Xur has one or see if people are willing to carry a 29 on a hard raid...

Many design decisions will be based around the middle of the total curve rather than the average participant in this thread.

true.

I just got my Titan to 26 last night, want to run him through the 28 Weekly? :3 He has VoC to take advantage of the burn though it's not fully upgraded yet.

As someone who has every exotic I own (which is every one but mythoclast) at 300....this sucks. Will new bounties up the experience point given? Will they turn all 2500 point bounties into 5000 point bounties? Cause as much as I love the grind, I don't love it when the purpose is to redo what I've done already. I hope they add an extra perk on top of that attack power.

Trakan

Y'all didn't want to farm world matts, right?
Well hope you like farming Glimmer.

7000 a pop, per upgrade.
**cues up Exclusion zone**

Wait till they nerf the majors there, too

Don't worry, they'll be "reducing the difficulty" on that mission real soon.

I disagree with this argument that its not an mmo. They have a 10 year plan, 5 games one every 2 years I believe. They will sell dlc and expansions. Characters should carry over into the future games or what's the point of having a level system? They were going to have a player based economy, and other mmo elements.

Destiny may not have much content now, but it lives and breathes as an mmo in my eyes.

stb

New or upgrade exotics will be starting at 302 attack.

destiny-4th-horseman-exotic-shotgun-stats.jpg

This seems partially upgraded; the 2 perks ("Kills with this weapon grant bonus ammo, directly to the magazine" and The last round in the magazine grants bonus damage") aren't grayed out, suggesting the weapon's been upgraded to that node.

I'm preparing for the worst. Weapon wise, I'll probably just upgrade the two exotics that are most useful for PVE, my Icebreaker and Ballerhorn. I think those are the only two exotics I have maxed out anyway.

Not too excited about having to re-upgrade my armor though.

They take so many bounties to level up. I don't think I'll bother with reset unless it becomes a major problem in PVE.

It took my 2 days 3 characters doing 10 bounties each with the fusion rifle telemetry to fully upgrade the vex.

I am going to proceed very very slowly with the upgrades.

Jinjo

I'm fine with upgrading exotics, but the fact that Xur only offers a select few each week to upgrade is bullshit. Not looking forward to another voidfang vestments situation where each week it's the same few exotics. Gjallarhorn is probably gonna be ages before it's up for upgrade.

Should have kept most of my doubles dammit. Not gonna level my spare gjallababies anymore, saving them for the upgrade.

I disagree with this argument that its not an mmo. They have a 10 year plan, 5 games one every 2 years I believe. They will sell dlc and expansions. Characters should carry over into the future games or what's the point of having a level system? They were going to have a player based economy, and other mmo elements.

Destiny may not have much content now, but it lives and breathes as an mmo in my eyes.

Very good post and true on all parts.

Comparing Destiny which is a brand new franchise to say WoW or Eve or any other older MMO is bad on all fronts.

It has MMO elements that will be explored and built upon as the game ages and more content is released.

So as someone who only has 2 maxed out exotics (Bladedancer and Gunslinger helmet) this update is good for me? Or for my ice breaker do I still need to fully upgrade it before I can even upgrade it a second time? (That grind would be ridiculous)

I want to say it has a cluster upgrade though so I wonder if the solar impact is simply another perk for DoT on the ground. If it can hit with multiple clusters AND leave the DoT, it could be better than Ballerhorn. I'm not sure if this is the case, however.

Plus is looks pretty rad.

There has to be something incorrect in the article.

To max a vanilla exotic and then max it to DLC exotic it costs,

~400K XP
3 Exotic Shards (including the one that allows the upgrade to DLC cap)
24,200 Glimmer
114 Weapons Parts
64 Planetary Materials

Mind you, this is all post patch. This doesn't count the ascendant materials many of us already burned on our exotics. If you get a vanilla exotic post DLC, it will only cost you,

~200K XP
2 Exotic Shards
9,300 Glimmer
57 Weapon Parts
32 Planetary Materials

By not playing the game at all, you would be in a much better position come DLC upgrade time. Something has to be wrong. This is the most counter-intuitive, "fuck you to our core players" system I could think of. Play more, get penalized more! Wooo!

Zocano

Modern MMOs have gotten a lot better at making any grind feel less punishing than this. Having to re-level your exotics is antiquated in this type of product.

Yah, I can understand being upset to redo the grind with weapons you've already upgraded. I'm just saying them adding more grinds isn't surprising.

So as someone who only has 2 maxed out exotics (Bladedancer and Gunslinger helmet) this update is good for me? Or for my ice breaker do I still need to fully upgrade it before I can even upgrade it a second time? (That grind would be ridiculous)

Doesn't matter if it's fully upgraded or not.

So says the unofficial GameInformer article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom