• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordofPwn

Dude from Game Informer played through the DLC. He's seen it first hand. Not sure how it can get more official than that unless Bungie has changed how it works in the time since he played it.
he stated at the beginning that it was only a snapshot and that it was awhile ago. That's how you cover your ass as a journalist.

Game Informer isn't some random magazine nobody has heard of. There's a reason they got the invite to go and test stuff. They're owned by fucking Gamestop, the company who no doubt sold the most copies of Destiny. They even mention Exotic shards, which were just introduced two days ago.

This is how it's going to work.
Using exotic shards to upgrade exotics yes, and xur selling upgrades yes, do we know the specifics like is it only primaries for this week, or is it specific exotics, and how many? Will things cost 7k glimmer or will it be motes of light when it releases? And just how quickly will exotics upgrade now? Will they get the bonus do from missions now? Do you know?

I keep reading those changes to the way the loot will be RNG'd in Crota's End and I keep crying tears of happiness.

However, I doubt they will implement it into Vault of Glass....Vex and Timepiece will forever elude me.

Really lame that Xur will have 1 exotic available to upgrade a week, we will be here in March still waiting to upgrade Exotics. No idea why they made that decision...the get reset in their progress so its not like if you could exchange them all at once you would have a fleet of ridiculously powered items.

Will the level 30 Weekly and Nightfall be an option or upgraded to that level starting at reset next week?

So yesterday when I upgraded my Knucklehead Radar exotic armor with an exotic shard I was stupid? Welp. .

Will there be a stat re-roll for armor when upgrading them? Not a big fan of the 90 str it offers.

It should have been having to add 1 additional exotic shard to each exotic to bring it up to date.

Hopefully Bungie backtracks on what they've shown Game Informer, because this is ridiculous.

New or upgrade exotics will be starting at 302 attack.

destiny-4th-horseman-exotic-shotgun-stats.jpg

Wait it shows the actual numbers now for each stat? I haven't played in a few days but this is something I really wanted for easier comparisons. Is it in the game now or maybe coming with the Dark below?

Jinjo

It's funny how Bungie releases an amazing patch just two days ago that everyone loves, only to come up with the dumbest idea ever to upgrade your current exotics. Not looking forward to level all that shit up again. Actually, I might just not level the ones I'm currently levelling up anymore (TLW, Thorn, PI, Plan C, Gjallahorn)

It should have been having to add 1 additional exotic shard to each exotic to bring it up to date.

Hopefully Bungie backtracks on what they've shown Game Informer, because this is ridiculous.

I am sure The Dark Below is pretty much ready at this point, maybe in a patch in 3 months...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They take so many bounties to level up. I don't think I'll bother with reset unless it becomes a major problem in PVE.
guess there will be more bounties
It's not binary, they could have designed the upgrade system in myriad ways that didn't require us to reset the weapon and straight out grind again.
my point wasn't even close to "this is the only way it could be done."

i mean, hell, carry on voicing the degree to which you guys all consider it to be unfair, and maybe it will be changed to address the complaints. I hope so.

all I meant was that it's better than the traditional nothing
She's almost 26 - still a level 25 Hunter. Would a three level span to 28 be too difficult for the weekly? I've done it on story missions solo, but it can be rough. (This morning I did the daily story at level 28 when I'm 26, but it took a lot of patience.)

Actually, crap. She'll have to run it tomorrow, I forgot she's at the dentist today. Nevermind!
25 would be fine if she has some decent solar weapons. Either way I'd be happy to carry her, I've got all kinds of stuff to play with for solar burn. same time tomorrow should be fine if that works.
I just got my Titan to 26 last night, want to run him through the 28 Weekly? :3 He has VoC to take advantage of the burn though it's not fully upgraded yet.
Sure, can you make our raid tonight? We could do it beforehand.

By not playing the game at all, you would be in a much better position come DLC upgrade time. Something has to be wrong. This is the most counter-intuitive, "fuck you to our core players" system I could think of. Play more, get penalized more! Wooo!

This very same shit is happening on mobile gaming all the time. You play from day one. Grind. Level. Become the best. Then they update it and the guy who just downloaded the game and got a lucky roll just became better than u. It burns.

You still have to put in some work here to get places, but the idea that your new IB, will cost less than my current IB, to become better than mine is fucked up.

E92 M3

I'm surprised people are upset they're adding in more grinds. Coming from MMOs this is pretty typical and normal and I'm not at all surprised by this (in fact, I sort of called/expected these sort of things).

Yah, I get it, people don't like grinds a lot of the time, but treating this game like an MMO (because it basically is one come end-game) sort of puts most of this in to perspective.

Destiny isn't an MMO and most people didn't sign up for the direct MMO experience.

There has to be something incorrect in the article.

To max a vanilla exotic and then max it to DLC exotic it costs,

~400K XP
3 Exotic Shards (including the one that allows the upgrade to DLC cap)
24,200 Glimmer
114 Weapons Parts
64 Planetary Materials

Mind you, this is all post patch. This doesn't count the ascendant materials many of us already burned on our exotics. If you get a vanilla exotic post DLC, it will only cost you,

~200K XP
2 Exotic Shards
9,300 Glimmer
57 Weapon Parts
32 Planetary Materials

By not playing the game at all, you would be in a much better position come DLC upgrade time. Something has to be wrong. This is the most counter-intuitive, "fuck you to our core players" system I could think of. Play more, get penalized more! Wooo!

I kinda agree with you. Lately, it does seem that playing the game is more detrimental than actually waiting and see what happens.

Help me build on a trading system for this game that would not break the game, but still be beneficial for players who've been looking for a particular piece of loot. I think it should be highly restrictive (i.e. clan members only, require a trade token and 10k in glimmer) to make sure both sides are getting an item they really want since it's cost prohibitive.

Trading Requirements/Rules

• Limit to one trade per week (resets on Tuesdays)
  • Trades can only be completed with members of your clan
  • Trades must be equal in "value" (see below), common and uncommon items not eligible
  • Trades limited to item type only (weapons for weapons, armor for armor, mats for mats, etc)
  • All trades cost 1 trade token per player (earned via special bounty) in addition to 10,000 glimmer
  • Traded item will reset to base value (if armor or weapon) once acquired - ie trading a fully upgraded weapon/armor piece to someone will be reset when acquired by new player
  • Limit of 2 tradable items per player (i.e. 2 weapons, 2 armor pieces or 2 "packages") - Exclusion for exotics. Only 1 exotic item can be traded per player during a single trade.
Trade Assigned Values
- Common Item Value: 0/Not eligible
- Uncommon Item Value: 0/Not eligible
- Rare Item Value: 6 points
- Legendary Item value: 12 points
- Exotic Item Value: 24 points

How trade items are packaged:
- 1 weapon in a weapon package
- 1 armor piece in an armor package
- 6 coins in a rare coin package
- 12 shards or 12 energy available in an ass mat. package
- 100 spinmetal/bloom/helium/relic iron in a mat. package

Examples of "approved" trades:
2 rare weapons for 1 legendary weapon
2 rare armor pieces for 2 rare armor pieces
2 legendary mats (pkg of 12) for 2 legendary mats (pkg of 12) - i.e. 24 energies for 24 shards
1 exotic armor piece for 1 exotic armor piece
1 exotic weapon for 1 exotic armor piece
100 spinmetal for 100 relic iron

You get the idea.

Just brainstorming on paper here. Throw out some ideas. Could limit it to armor/weapons only for simplicity... especially now that there's so many different mats and forms of currency.

How do other loot games handle this type of system?

You're on to something, but it will have to be simplified to just rarity being worth points and limits per trade - just for the sake of development.

stb

Regarding "resetting" weapons, wasn't there at least one instance where certain weapons were changed in an update, and you had to go pick it up from the mailbot, and all the nodes were unlocked (and fully green/leveled up), but unselected?

It's also possible that the logic for leaving the nodes/upgrade level alone simply wasn't in place yet. Dude was playing a beta of new functionality a month before launch.

Not willing to get my knickers twisted about this yet.

patchday

I'm glad I haven't upgraded a ton of exotics. But having to redo Ballerhorn will be a pain in the ass.

screw that

nuff said'

Perhaps most importantly, the loot raid drops for Crota’s End have been refined from what we experienced in the Vault of Glass. Specifically, the game will pay closer attention to the drops you’ve already had, as well as how long it’s been since you get a “fun” drop (as opposed to just materials). While there’s still a significant component of randomness, Bungie strongly implied to me that players should have a more consistent reward experience with the raid than what has been experienced in Vault of Glass when the Crota’s End raid launches on day one of the expansion.

Huh, wonder if RNG really will be improved. Still not raid tokens though :/

EL CUCO

Because we will upgrade our stuff all at once right? Nope.
Because having a whole week to gather 7000 glimmer must be some hardcore farming right? Nope.

We really dont know all the specifics yet, but when you have a cap of 25000 and want to upgrade your vault of go-to older exotics (weapon or gear), seems like hardcore farming to me. Not to mention the cost of glimmer for anything else.

It's funny how Bungie releases an amazing patch just two days ago that everyone loves, only to come up with the dumbest idea ever to upgrade your current exotics. Not looking forward to level all that shit up again. Actually, I might just not level the ones I'm currently levelling up anymore (TLW, Thorn, PI, Plan C, Gjallahorn)

I am definitely not upgrading anymore exotics at this point. It is amazing how they can do so good and then fuck up.

However, the changes to the RNG system in the new raid is a god send.

My biggest issue is that legendary weapons will be useless in about a month or so. Armour was expected since we all want to get to Light 32. Really love my Vision of Confluence and The Devil You Know :(

Sure, can you make our raid tonight? We could do it beforehand.

Yep, how did the Thanksgiving edition go? Did you get anything good? Things go even smoother than the previous week? I guess there's no cheese for Templar now so you won't have to even request we do it legit anymore ;P

Zocano

Destiny isn't an MMO and most people didn't sign up for the direct MMO experience.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Nobody knew what this game was gonna be when we got it. So many people were excited for a Scifi shooter thing but Bungie and Activision were never really clear on what it was.

Turns out it's pretty much an MMO. Whether you like it or not doesn't matter because it's just going to keep functioning like an MMO at every update.

Although, it seems dumb to leave it to RNG to decide whether or not one of your exotics will get to max attack or max defence. I mean, we haven't even come across some exotic armor (Heart of Praxic Fire, Thunderlord, etc, etc) from Xur since the game launched

I'm glad I haven't upgraded a ton of exotics. But having to redo Ballerhorn will be a pain in the ass.

Gjallarhorn, Ice Breaker, Hawkmoon, P&T, Thunderlord, TLW, Plan C.....

others were nearly there :(

Ive upgraded lots of exotics and it doesn't matter cause I had to use them and thats why they were upgraded. We are probably going to have to do this with every expansion so we cat not upgrade our exotics cause we will have to do it again eventually.

Edit** It's kind of dumb that they introduce a new material for upgrading exotics a week before the DLC but fail to tell us not to waste the exotic shards cause our weapons will have to be upgraded again. That just sucks on their part

What did they sign up for exactly? It's their game and they can do whatever they want. It's your choice to buy it and play it or not

Although, it seems dumb to leave it to RNG to decide whether or not one of your exotics will get to max attack or max defence. I mean, we haven't even come across some exotic armor (Heart of Praxic Fire, Thunderlord, etc, etc) from Xur since the game launched

Bets on Praxis Fire and Thunderlord from Xur this week. It is going to happen.

I am definitely not upgrading anymore exotics at this point. It is amazing how they can do so good and then fuck up.

However, the changes to the RNG system in the new raid is a god send.

My biggest issue is that legendary weapons will be useless in about a month or so. Armour was expected since we all want to get to Light 32. Really love my Vision of Confluence and The Devil You Know :(

VoC will not be obsolete, it's better than the Crota Scout Rifle. The Raid weapons won't be useless I think but it's just a matter of the Crota weapons having better perks outside the Scout Rifle.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it's always going to be this way. i hope there is at least one other person reading this thread that understands.

throughout the game's lifespan they will do something that makes (nearly, but not quite) everyone happy, then do something that pisses (nearly, but not quite) everyone off, and repeat.

forever.

noomi

Man.... not going to be happy about re-leveling my exotics....

If I really have to, it will only be a select few worthy... like the icebreaker...

stb

Sorry for the serial posts, but weren't people clamoring for end game strange coin and glimmer sinks just a few weeks ago?

I think vocally disapproving of the potential of totally resetting exotics as part of this upgrade process is fine, but the glimmer cost is just someplace to dump it instead of constantly being maxed out.

zewone

VoC will not be obsolete, it's better than the Crota Scout Rifle. The Raid weapons won't be useless I think but it's just a matter of the Crota weapons having better perks outside the Scout Rifle.

The Croata scout probably doesn't max out at 300 I'm imagine.

This is exactly the issue, not only will upgrading a renewed exotic require more materials/glimmer/etc. it will also be at the mercy of RNG and it was already a bad idea when they tied leveling up to 30 with RNG.

Ugh.

The article didn't mention anything about that non-RNG level 30+ armour Luke talked about here either for our #Forever29 friends here.

Yep, it's like they want us to have a neverending love/hate relationship with them.

I don't want to start all over on leveling up my exotics. I'd rather just take the hit to stats and have the game be a bit more challenging. What a gyp.

Trakan

Using exotic shards to upgrade exotics yes, and xur selling upgrades yes, do we know the specifics like is it only primaries for this week, or is it specific exotics, and how many? Will things cost 7k glimmer or will it be motes of light when it releases? And just how quickly will exotics upgrade now? Will they get the bonus do from missions now? Do you know?

Even if it is "primaries" on a particular week instead of certain ones, that's not what people are upset about. They'll cost 7k glimmer like the article said. Exotics will upgrade at the same speed. They'll get bonus XP from bounties and missions.

If it can't go above 300 then it likely will be outclassed by dlc weapons and most exotics.

Xamdou

Man I did normal mode vault yesterday and didn't get a damn thing even though I did hard mode already. Did they change this via latest patch?

Also what's the max damage of the vex? Just got one yesterday.

noomi

You know what... I take it back....

If they would introduce new, faster, and less grindy ways of leveling weapons/armor I wouldn't mind leveling from 0.

But doing bounties everyday, and the same daily missions over and over again... nope.... I won't.

The Croata scout probably doesn't max out at 300 I'm imagine.

They said they want Exotics to be the 'strongest' so I highly doubt the Raid weapons will have the same base value as the Exotics. We'll see though! I don't know that I'd sacrifice better perks for more base damage anyway, it'd have to make a huge difference.

E92 M3

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Nobody knew what this game was gonna be when we got it. So many people were excited for a Scifi shooter thing but Bungie and Activision were never really clear on what it was.

Turns out it's pretty much an MMO. Whether you like it or not doesn't matter because it's just going to keep functioning like an MMO at every update.

Bungie have categorically denied that it's an MMO. Even though some design decisions mimic MMOs, I don't expect them to adhere explicitly.

Man I did normal mode vault yesterday and didn't get a damn thing even though I did hard mode already. Did they change this via latest patch?

323 I believe.

I hope Bungie will hear all this noise, and do an about face. F this mess. I work so hard and put 15 days of my lfe for what?

15 days of my life so far.

You should have gotten double drops on the Hard mode which is in lieu of Normal.

LordofPwn

Even if it is "primaries" on a particular week instead of certain ones, that's not what people are upset about. They'll cost 7k glimmer like the article said. Exotics will upgrade at the same speed. They'll get bonus XP from bounties and missions.
He said at that time it was 7k, that can change. And he said exotics will need less xp to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom