• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think Bungie have proven that "traditional" doesn't mean much with them.
I don't think I know what that means, it sounds almost like an effusive compliment. lol. a lot of Destiny's design tenets are lifted from traditional MMORPG raiding tropes.
Yep, how did the Thanksgiving edition go? Did you get anything good? Things go even smoother than the previous week? I guess there's no cheese for Templar now so you won't have to even request we do it legit anymore ;P
Thanksgiving itself was the newbie raid and that went sublimely. Our raid the day before, with Arbalest filling in, went very smooth up to Atheon, and then we hit a wall with fatigue setting in. Lots of mistakes and close wipes. Called it and reconvened on Sunday, two of the 29s including myself had made it to 30, and we kicked his ass first try. Felt incredible.

Why do people keep thinking the weapon/armor selected for re-upgrading will be RNG? ITS XUR!!! Nothing about him is RNG except the engram.

RNG or not, it is a drip feed type of release. If you don't have enough coins one week or are unable to play a weekend, you are screwed.

Also there are 22 exotic weapons, thats 22 WEEKS of waiting for Xur, that is almost half a year!!! They said not all of them will do this but if they did yeesh. Even if it was half, 12 that is 3 MONTHS! And Xur has had dups plenty of times!

Strider

Standby for Blog update by DeeJ it appears there's been some misinformation being reported.
Reddit

Good catch.

Come tell us the upgrading info was all wrong and I'll love you again Bungie. Or just tell us the exp needed to reupgrade is way less than the 200k it is now bc I'm cool with that too. But doing it all over again 3 months after launch... I just... I can't...

SonComet

Xur needs to offer item class upgrades for exotics. If it is individual weapons/armor each week then I will just hang up my hat and move on. I feel like doing individual weapons/armor would be pure evil, so I am holding out hope for item classes.

I realize this is an MMO but I would have found this game to be so much better if they never increased the light cap from 30. I want new stuff and strategies and new content. I want that content to challenge me in ways that requires different items and load outs. But I don't want all my hard work invalidated. I'd love for there to be a purpose to run both raids each week. Having only 1 character that would be only 2 raids. I'm imagining a totally patched and fixed VoG along side the new raid. It would be so much more content and variety. As of now it feels like the game is just progressing instead of expanding. Still only one raid to complete each week and even more boring grinding to do.

Anything else, please!
puss-in-boots-big-eyes-o.gif

I'll think about it.

Zocano

Bungie have categorically denied that it's an MMO. Even though some design decisions mimic MMOs, I don't expect them to adhere explicitly.

Well seeing as how they've done MMO-esque design decisions at every turn, I am going to keep expecting more of them,

breakfuss

Man, I don't know what to think or feel. A lot of conflicting information here. Just going to wait for some sort of confirmation from Bungie. I don't see how anyone could be happy with having to re-level their exotic weapons and gear. That sounds like some bullshit, honestly. More artificial lengthening. Really thought Destiny was beginning to move away from that but we'll see.

The guy was there a month ago. The information can't be inaccurate. If it was, that's on Bungie to not let them run the article, not GI.

This is true, Bungie can't be stupid enough to not have read the article beforehand were they?

Also, it was released less than a week before its release, so people will take it as proof solid.

LordofPwn

Good catch.

Come tell us the upgrading info was all wrong and I'll love you again Bungie. Or just tell us the exp needed to reupgrade is way less than the 200k it is now bc I'm cool with that too. But doing it all over again 3 months after launch... I just... I can't...
I enjoy upgrading exotic primaries through actual use, especially ones I like to use. Specials and heavy need bounty xp

I don't think I know what that means, it sounds almost like an effusive compliment. lol. a lot of Destiny's design tenets are lifted from traditional MMORPG raiding tropes.

Thanksgiving itself was the newbie raid and that went sublimely. Our raid the day before, with Arbalest filling in, went very smooth up to Atheon, and then we hit a wall with fatigue setting in. Lots of mistakes and close wipes. Called it and reconvened on Sunday, two of the 29s including myself had made it to 30, and we kicked his ass first try. Felt incredible.

You made it to 30??? Wooooooooooooooo! Congrats, buddy! So we only have one 29 left? We'll stream roll that Raid today, we shall!

I should have my 26 Titan join a newbie Raid, the sooner he gets Raid gear the better! Although I'm going to want to replace it with Crota Raid gear anyway ;P Crota starts at a higher level though so will need Vault gear first I suppose.

B-Ri

"Please, settle down. The GI article is incorrect. All of your exotic nodes will not be reset when upgrading an exotic. Your entire subclass nodes will be as well"

this better be good,

I spent all thanksgiving weekend maxing out Gjallahorn, Ice Breaker, and most of Suros for "Dark Below" and its ridiculous if it was all for nothing if it resets the damn gun!

I have now 12 exotics, and I dont want the progress on them all to be for nothing!

Egh...

First off, I have no idea how the first thing will work. how restrictive it is in practice will also be important.

Of course the details will make a difference but it should never exist in the first place, on any level. A second round of RNG/Bungie-dependence for weapons we already own and have maxed? How is any version of this system a good idea?

I am constantly keeping in mind that the alternative here is not "some easier way of getting our exotics all upgraded!" it's "all your old exotics are obsolete now forever."

That is not "the alternative" because there are countless other options that would have been more reasonable than this. Many of these superior alternatives have already been described in the thread. Bungie could have done anything, they chose this.

Third thing... hopefully you're not implying that I like the fact that legendaries can't be upgraded,

Your post, responding to the article link, said "This all generally seems okay" so yes, it seemed like you thought it was all generally okay.

I hate it when I get cast into these scenarios where it's like I'm defending stupid upgrade shit or the Light level cap increase. I don't want it.

Why are you defending it then? Its okay to say "That's a bad system, there are many better options."

Raising your avatar strength and having old gear obsoleted for new gear as new content is released is pure, unvarnished par for the course.

"Par for the course" doesn't make it okay. More horizontal progression would be great.

Regardless, you said useless outside of Crucible rather than obsolete, which is likely rather untrue

I disagree. It won't be immediate, but older legendaries and non-double-upgraded exotics will become progressively more obsolete with each expansion. Of course you could still use lesser weapons on burns etc., but only in spite of the fact that they aren't as viable.

There are very few (if any) true "gear checks" in Destiny.

Of course there are gear checks, all over the place. Not just the obvious white-green-blue-purple-yellow and light level progression, but DPS levels on legit Templar and Atheon before enrage, hard GKeepers was a big gear check for a lot of players who only cheesed the other phases, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sounds more like damage control after hearing and reading the uproar.
good stuff

if he's going to repackage the same information contained in the blog post, thus that all of its contents are accurate, while at the same time labeling it as "misinformation," he certainly has his work cut out for him.

You made it to 30??? Wooooooooooooooo! Congrats, buddy! So we only have one 29 left? We'll stream roll that Raid today, we shall!
Yes indeed, thank you my friend. Lucked out with the chest piece as well, so I can now (well, when I have that upgraded) hit 30 any way I like, which feels awesome since I love switching builds..

I should have my 26 Titan join a newbie Raid, the sooner he gets Raid gear the better! Although I'm going to want to replace it with Crota Raid gear anyway ;P Crota starts at a higher level though so will need Vault gear first I suppose.
Gotta get your foot in the door!

Jinjo

Why do people keep thinking the weapon/armor selected for re-upgrading will be RNG? ITS XUR!!! Nothing about him is RNG except the engram.

You serious? Xur selection might not be RNG, but that makes it even worse. Nobody is gonna enjoy waiting weeks for Xur to stock his/her favorite exotic for upgrade. The fact that it's Bungie's choice is gonna be really infuriating for people.

I'm fine with it costing glimmer and exotic shards to upgrade. Hell require some xp too, make it so more damage nodes appear and you gotta fill those up, that's fine. But don't limit what and or when people can upgrade their favorite weapon.

Edit: Lol incoming "Deej clarification". I'm sure it will come in a timely and promised fashion as usual.

Take your time, DeeJ. In the meantime I'm going to unwrap my copy of Far Cry 4.

Mine is staying wrapped! I've had it for 2 weeks now...but I uh, don't want to get it all dirty you know...

Honestly I don't think I've played a game that is not named Destiny in over 2 months. I should have just waited to buy FC4 when it was $20 since that's the price it'll actually be by the time I get to it.

Stantron

So dismantling an upgraded exotic gives one exotic shard.
Anyone know what dismantling an exotic fully upgraded with just XP (not resources) gives?
What about dismantling a maxed out exotic?

I saw a video a couple days ago on reddit of someone dismantling a partially upgraded (maybe 70%) icebreaker, and it gave him 2 exotic shards. Although I don't know if the game randomly gives you this in the same way that dismantling a rare chest piece could give you 1-3 armor parts.

LiK

Maybe instead of resetting Exotics just make the last 2-3 bubbles require a lot more XP to max out. Is it that hard?

Bizazedo

They need to hire a psychologist or something. Their mistakes are hilarious at this point if this proves out to be true.

A lot more people will accept having to get 200k MORE XP (just to use a number) and further upgrade a weapon than seeing a weapon reset, if they still only have to learn 200k XP that way as well. Add in possible perks being temporarily shut off? Asinine.

If it also turns out to be true that the weapons we can choose to upgrade are subject to RNG from Xur? Wow. Just....wow. And saying that, they really need to look at Blizzard. Fuck, even SOE!

Even EVERQUEST was never this dickish.

Again, assuming true.

You don't even have to add a node. Just have it reset the last three nodes. So you turn in your 300 Ice breaker to xur, he hands it back, the last three nodes are reset, but your attack is still 300. Now you just earn the last nodes over again and get to 330. That is far simpler.
Yep, this is what it should have been.

I wish a mothafucka would refuse my refund.

Kind of shitty if you've put a lot of time in / owned it for awhile to now be demanding a refund. Maybe a refund on the expac portions, sure, but total'd be dirty.

[edit]

I dismantled a second Saint-14 I had last night. It had better stats than the one I have maxed out, but only by 8 pts, so I said f-it.

Now? Damn, if this happens...

Brings up a good question, though. IF the upgrade reset is real, does it re-roll stats?

Probably not.

RNG or not, it is a drip feed type of release. If you don't have enough coins one week or are unable to play a weekend, you are screwed.

Also there are 22 exotic weapons, thats 22 WEEKS of waiting for Xur, that is almost half a year!!! They said not all of them will do this but if they did yeesh. Even if it was half, 12 that is 3 MONTHS! And Xur has had dups plenty of times!

You serious? Xur selection might not be RNG, but that makes it even worse. Nobody is gonna enjoy waiting weeks for Xur to stock his/her favorite exotic. The fact that it's Bungie's choice is gonna be really infuriating for people.

I'm fine with it costing glimmer and exotic shards to upgrade. Hell require some xp too, make it so more damage nodes appear and you gotta fill those up, that's fine. But don't limit what and or when people can upgrade their favorite weapon.

I'm not singing praises. Just reminding people that weekly we are being shitted on not by Xur, but some stick in the ass Bungie employee that refuses to flip the switch or key something different into the table.

We can only hope that when he comes around he offers more than 1 gun/1 armor and not duplicate offers.

Finally got Hezen Vengeance last night. Twice. And I run multiple Hard raids each week.

All Raid gear is complete, all Exotic Armor complete, just missing Hard Light and JuJu for Weapons. It's been a great time, can't wait for the new content.

I just found out Skele7on was banned yesterday
I'll miss that dude
Anyway, I thought from the start that there was a case of misinformation about the Exotic Weapon Upgrading

LordofPwn

Thank the lord. Hopefully he clarifies (hoping it's not true) a little about how "new raid weapons are only going to drop in hard mode Crota raid," amongst other things
Are you thanking me for spotting the DeeJ comment or thanking that Bungie is preparing a response, or both?

Also hard mode raid in January? Seems weird.

You serious? Xur selection might not be RNG, but that makes it even worse. Nobody is gonna enjoy waiting weeks for Xur to stock his/her favorite exotic for upgrade. The fact that it's Bungie's choice is gonna be really infuriating for people.

Edit: Lol incoming "Deej clarification". I'm sure it will come in a timely and promised fashion as usual.

I don't mind leveling up my exotics again. It's a trade off that ends up giving me a more powerful weapon. I'm not maxing all of my exotics, just ones I actually use. The problem I see is that you have to wait on Xur. And Xur only comes 2 days a week. Give him his own place in the tower and let him be there all week. I'd be very salty if was out of town and couldn't upgrade something I was waiting on.

Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case. I mean, it would guarantee some people to keep playing the game, atleast up until the 2nd dlc, in hopes for upgrading their favorite exotics. I know I have been waking up early Fridays in the hope that Heart of Praxic Fire is finally available..

But let's just see what DeeJ has to say before we continue ripping on Bungie, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom