• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT11| It goes up to 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With hard mode launching later I wonder if that means they wil change some of the mechanics specifically for hard?

They may monitor the normal mode playthroughs and adjust hard accordingly.

If changing the mechanics for hard means letting us find the cheese and then adding bumpers before letting us get our hands on Croata's version of the mythoclast, then most likely, yes.

Heel

Cristian: I do want to advise you that According to the PlayStation Network User Agreement all sales made on the PlayStation Network are final.

However, I will submit your request for review so that our Network Team can look at your specific situation. Please note, I cannot guarantee a refund will be processed.

If your refund request is granted, all funds will be returned to your PSN wallet. You will be notified via email once a decision has been made.

Please allow 3-5 business days for your refund to be processed. You will be notified via email once it is complete.

tJaBJjl.gif

I wish a mothafucka would refuse my refund.

hydruxo

what the fuck is going on. reseting XP progress on exotics? what the fuck I'm so confused

From Game Informer:

"You’ll need three things. First, you need to own the original version of that exotic item, and turn it in to exchange for the upgraded version. It doesn’t matter if this old version of the item is brand new or fully upgraded. To complete the upgrade, you’ll also need to turn in an exotic shard. This recently introduced new material is available for purchase for seven strange coins from Xur, or by breaking down another existing exotic item in your inventory. Finally, each exotic upgrade costs a hefty dose of cash – around 7000 glimmer as of my playthrough of the expansion in mid-November. After turning all three of these things into Xur, he’ll hand you a brand new version of your item with a higher defense or attack value cap.

It’s important to note that this process resets the upgrades on your exotic item, but you’ll now have a new higher damage or defense cap to work towards – so you’ll need to decide if you’d rather keep your fully upgraded old version of a weapon or armor piece, or start over. With that said, the process of upgrading exotic items is now faster, and does not require ascendant materials. Instead, the last slot requires one additional exotic shard, as revealed in Monday’s patch."

E92 M3

Yup, I've used my VoC and Corrective Measure almost exclusively since I got them. Some will probably still be good for PVP since weapon damage is normalized. So I guess they wont become completely usless.

It's not the same =/

They really should give us an option to upgrade legendaries. It's not like Destiny has millions of guns that we can just throw away.

The grind is real, brehs. Holy shit.

I wonder if vanguard commendations are retroactive. I doubt Bungie would be that generous.

I was wondering that too. Would be surprised if they were retroactive.

Homeboyd

Help me build on a trading system for this game that would not break the game, but still be beneficial for players who've been looking for a particular piece of loot. I think it should be highly restrictive (i.e. clan members only, require a trade token and 10k in glimmer) to make sure both sides are getting an item they really want since it's cost prohibitive.

Trading Requirements/Rules

• Limit to one trade per week (resets on Tuesdays)
  • Trades can only be completed with members of your clan
  • Trades must be equal in "value" (see below), common and uncommon items not eligible
  • Trades limited to item type only (weapons for weapons, armor for armor, mats for mats, etc)
  • All trades cost 1 trade token per player (earned via special bounty) in addition to 10,000 glimmer
  • Traded item will reset to base value (if armor or weapon) once acquired - ie trading a fully upgraded weapon/armor piece to someone will be reset when acquired by new player
  • Limit of 2 tradable items per player (i.e. 2 weapons, 2 armor pieces or 2 "packages") - Exclusion for exotics. Only 1 exotic item can be traded per player during a single trade.
Trade Assigned Values
- Common Item Value: 0/Not eligible
- Uncommon Item Value: 0/Not eligible
- Rare Item Value: 6 points
- Legendary Item value: 12 points
- Exotic Item Value: 24 points

How trade items are packaged:
- 1 weapon in a weapon package
- 1 armor piece in an armor package
- 6 coins in a rare coin package
- 12 shards or 12 energy available in an ass mat. package
- 100 spinmetal/bloom/helium/relic iron in a mat. package

Examples of "approved" trades:
2 rare weapons for 1 legendary weapon
2 rare armor pieces for 2 rare armor pieces
2 legendary mats (pkg of 12) for 2 legendary mats (pkg of 12) - i.e. 24 energies for 24 shards
1 exotic armor piece for 1 exotic armor piece
1 exotic weapon for 1 exotic armor piece
100 spinmetal for 100 relic iron

You get the idea.

Just brainstorming on paper here. Throw out some ideas. Could limit it to armor/weapons only for simplicity... especially now that there's so many different mats and forms of currency.

How do other loot games handle this type of system?

BuzzJive

The smartest and most logical option is to put another node on the existing exotic. Even if it took 200k XP, it'd be fine. No RNG involved, no wasting any time, no grind, no waiting on an NPC that only shows up once a week.

Okay - if it's a matter of having to farm a ton of helium to upgrade a dozen nodes again then I get the outrage. New nodes to max out would be reasonable, but that just increases the grind dramatically when you are starting a brand new Exotic. This way, maxing a new weapon to 32 is theoretically shorter than it has been to this point to max a weapon to 30. Your way, maxing a new weapon to 32 would take longer than maxing a weapon now.

I don't consider retaining the time or effort already put into a gun, or the newly plopped down strange coins to purchase the upgrade, as free or nearly free.

But you got a 300 exotic from that time and you still have it and it's still a good weapon.

Like I said - I haven't grinded that much obviously. I upgrade whatever I happen to be playing with or want to play with. You guys that have 5, 10 whatever maxed Exotics I hope have at least enjoyed the time you put in to the game to get them maxed.

Still hoping there is more info coming out that pertains to the current raid weapons. I dont want fatebringer, VoC and CoM to become worthless for the raids :(

breakfuss

what exactly does upgrading current exotics do? just increase the damage? what is the incentive for doing this

That's what I'm trying to figure out. If everything is reset back at it's original base that's goddamned crazy. Why would anyone want to start over???? Someone said weapons would reset at 300 but I think that's just an assumption.

hmm ok. I think I understand now. Thanks for the responses.

Not sure how I feel about this. Another very peculiar design choice by Bungie. Exotics takes for-ev-er to upgrade... they reeeeeaaallly love to grind apparently.

What is going on in this thread?

I think Bungie would shoot themselves in the foot if they make this too much of a grind at some point you guys have to stand up and say enough is enough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You really think that sounds like a good plan for the exotics?

-You can only upgrade some of them based on whichever ones Xur/Bungie decide to allow once a week
-All progress is reset, have fun with the glimmer and XP grind again.
-All the current raid/legendary gear will be useless going forward, except for maybe Crucible

They really need to raise the glimmer cap but even then this is a seriously lame way for them to go forward. The only thing I've ever really complained about before was the raid glitches, but this is a serious misstep for them.
Egh...

First off, I have no idea how the first thing will work. The article isn't specific enough.

"Each week, he’ll offer some (but not all) exotic items as being available to upgrade."

Some, but not all. Will it be upgrades of a certain type are available a la telemetries? Primary weapons but not secondaries/scout rifles and shotguns only? Or will it be specific exotic guns that are offered? If the latter, how many? With an initial pool of 20, the difference between 2 being offered per week or 5 is enormous. It seems like a dumb restriction at face value, but how restrictive it is in practice will also be important.

Second thing.... that's the cost of doing business. I am constantly keeping in mind that the alternative here is not "some easier way of getting our exotics all upgraded!" it's "all your old exotics are obsolete now forever." The idea that the guns I love can at least eventually be upgraded to the same damage plateau as the ones behind a paywall is worth some grind to me; how much grind it actually shakes out to will impact how often and how quickly I avail myself of this option.

Third thing... hopefully you're not implying that I like the fact that legendaries can't be upgraded, but it's wholly expected. I hate it when I get cast into these scenarios where it's like I'm defending stupid upgrade shit or the Light level cap increase. I don't want it. My idealized version of Destiny would have no character levels, no attack or defense values, no statistical representation of avatar strength whatsoever; just the ability to acquire more options and become more versatile over time (horizontal progression) and an increasing series of challenges in terms of difficulty, such that the only important factor was improving your skill to be able to overcome whatever obstacle presented. Vertical progression is not interesting to me. I don't like it and I don't need it to be a part of a game for me to want to play it and feel sufficiently powerful. However, I am in an extreme minority on this point. Raising your avatar strength and having old gear obsoleted for new gear as new content is released is pure, unvarnished par for the course.

Regardless, you said useless outside of Crucible rather than obsolete, which is likely rather untrue. As I mentioned above, maxed current weapons will still do resoundingly more damage than brand new weapons that are unupgraded. Furthermore the elemental primaries will be useful in Burns. There are very few (if any) true "gear checks" in Destiny.
Sure, with 300 attack weapons you should be able to complete the normal raid** (apparently hard mode of Crota's End isnt launching till 2015 according to that article). I feel like the normal raid is going to have level 32 mobs though which is why the Vex will be a good option right out of the gate.

I just hope that the exotic upgrading RNG isn't disappointing man, I feel like you should be able to grind out exotic upgrades for whatever you want - if you have the time to do so and not have to wait a WEEK for Xur to decide what you get to do. Especially since upgrading resets weapon progress. Here's hoping its not as bad as it's sounding.
Makes sense, I don't really understand how it will work from the article yet.
Sure it'll be better at the start... but It takes waaaaaay too much time to level up an exotic weapon and for them to be inferior or having to do that process all over again right out the gate absolutely sucks.

They should have given us an upgrade path that takes a little bit of time, not the entire process over. When they say it'll be faster to level these exotics, it better be significantly faster, not the 200,000 exp+ we have now.

I put 5 bounties toward Truth this morning and for what? So I can either do that all over or have an inferior Truth to some other people? That's BS.
It's just that we're talking about doing something that shouldn't be taken for granted (old gear has the capability of being upgraded to be equivalent to the best available new gear that comes with paid content).

regardless it's a reasonable argument that it takes too long to level up exotics in general and thus will take too long to repeat. maybe they will continue to make it easier based on complaints.
So based of that GI article not sure how I feel about a few things they mentioned.

Raid weapons will now only drop on Hard Mode? So I'm assuming that Normal will drop armor pieces/Radiant Shards and Energies/ and maybe chances for Exotics?
It says the raid primaries, I assume the others can drop on normal.

You know how annoying it is that Xur never sells anything good already?

Imagine you fucking OWN the weapon already but you're just waiting for Xur to "allow" you to upgrade it.

Ugh, this would really suck. Remaining cautiously optimistic that there are more details that will make this change seem sensible.

GhaleonEB

My kid and I have zero exotics between us, but we're close to the point of earning them. This is one of the few times that being this far behind the pack is going to pay off. Woo! I guess?

It does seem like a more fair approach would be for the exchange to be a straight upgrade. Strange coins and glimmer for the exotic in the same state you handed it over - just with the new upgrades grafted on. Resetting seems needlessly cruel.

Speaking of which, anyone free at ~4 PST today for a LV 26 run on the weekly heroic? I'm hoping one more will be free to join Geneijin and Nat. If no one can make it I bet they can pull it off between them...

She's near level 26 now and getting excited about the prospect of raiding. :D

Upgrading all my exotics, again?! They're really just doing this to make us play more and longer. Ugh.

Why not just add something like an exotic energy shard or an extra upgrade node to existing exotics?

Strider

What is going on in this thread?

I think Bungie would shoot themselves in the foot if they make this too much of a grind at some point you guys have to stand up and say enough is enough.

they already did. So many players have left the game already because it's too grindy. Adding to that is a huge mistake.

Zocano

I'm surprised people are upset they're adding in more grinds. Coming from MMOs this is pretty typical and normal and I'm not at all surprised by this (in fact, I sort of called/expected these sort of things).

Yah, I get it, people don't like grinds a lot of the time, but treating this game like an MMO (because it basically is one come end-game) sort of puts most of this in to perspective.

TP-DK

Wow having to level up my exotic weapons again sucks big time. And relying on rng or Bungie to choose which weapons you can upgrade is even worse.

And I guess the VOG legendary weapons will turn worthless too. Thankfully it only took 30 raid playthroughs to get half of them.

The thirst for the DLC is real. I don't fancy having to start over on Ice Breaker but at least this re-grind only impacts exotics. My precious Raid weapons will stay strong. Well, VoC anyway, all the other weapon types have superior versions in Crota's End but VoC is the one exception. Truly the best weapon in the game for me :D This is also a silver lining to not already having a Ballerhorn, now when I get one, I won't have to upgrade it twice. I'm still wondering if the Dragon rocket will be better though.

Dragon's Breath has what looks like a solar grenade upon impact, hard to top Wolfpack rounds id say, but who knows.

void666

Banned
People talk like all we have will be replaced by next tuesday. Just calm down.
I'm sure my maxed exotics will still be usefull for a long time.

LordofPwn

You win.
I'm not going to get too up in arms over the whole thing until it's been confirmed by something other than a single GameInformer article.
Glad some people can stay calm.

gameinformer
Thanks.
Wow.

There are literally posts everywhere talking about the changes and an entire article. All we did was make a quick post on how we felt. Damn.

Anyway here ya go: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...low-new-details-on-the-destiny-expansion.aspx
Lol, sorry it was a bit harsh. But you set yourself up to a weekly update joke.

So people are freaking out about a snapshot of the DLC from mid November by one source that isn't even an official source? The core game has changed a lot since then, I expect the DLC will have too. Everyone just calm down until we hear more in the weekly update, and Bungie to officially comment on what's all in the DLC, and how it will work.

nowai

Dragon's Breath has what looks like a solar grenade upon impact, hard to top Wolfpack rounds id say, but who knows.

It looks like a Flying Tiger! That alone makes it top of my list. :)

It leaves a DoT on the ground, which I see being awesome for control, but useless for Pve, because mobs path out of every DoT very quickly.

purg3

slept with Malkin
But resetting all upgrades? Throwing away those dozens of bounties, millions of XP, hundreds of materials, and making the I don't know how many hours I've spent on this a complete and utter waste of time? Fuck off.

Well, when you put it that way....lol bungle

CLBridges

So, you can upgrade an old exotic but reset all progress? Who on Bungie's weapon design team thought this would be a good idea? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but does this mean we lose all current perks of the exotic, then have to grind up all that glimmer/xp again? If this is correct this is very backwards IMO. Also, hopefully Xur doesn't sell a specific exotic weapon upgrade for the week, but maybe an exotic upgrade engram that upgrades 1 primary/special/heavy so that covers all within that category and you choose which weapon. I'll wait and see but reading some of this didn't sit right with me.

And, unless I'm reading this right, we have to wait until January until hard mode is introduced and that's where primary raid weapons will drop. If so, that is some messed up shit there. So, we pay for the expansion which drops on 12/9 but have to wait more time for content that, IMO, should be there day one based on the current structure of the game. I'm trying my best not to get frustrated with some of the decisions regarding content being made with this game, but Bungie needs to clarify directly on their site.

Pickman

My kid and I have zero exotics between us, but we're close to the point of earning them. This is one of the few times that being this far behind the pack is going to pay off. Woo! I guess?

It does seem like a more fair approach would be for the exchange to be a straight upgrade. Strange coins and glimmer for the exotic in the same state you handed it over - just with the new upgrades grafted on. Resetting seems needlessly cruel.

Speaking of which, anyone free at ~4 PST today for a LV 26 run on the weekly heroic? I'm hoping one more will be free to join Geneijin and Nat. If no one can make it I bet they can pull it off between them...

She's near level 26 now and getting excited about the prospect of raiding. :D

If PSN is working tonight I'll be down :)

We as in the thread. Had people mad at me when I said I got four of them and that I dismantled them. Fig wouldn't talk to me for a while. Then again, she was teasing me over my lack of The Last Word at the time.

Hey, I talked to you. It was just with an air of disgust.

Trakan

Is it fair to say that we're basing a lot of this off of a GameInformer article written in early Nov and the game could've changed since then?

No, stuff like this isn't changed in a month's time.

Okay - if it's a matter of having to farm a ton of helium to upgrade a dozen nodes again then I get the outrage. New nodes to max out would be reasonable, but that just increases the grind dramatically when you are starting a brand new Exotic. This way, maxing a new weapon to 32 is theoretically shorter than it has been to this point to max a weapon to 30. Your way, maxing a new weapon to 32 would take longer than maxing a weapon now.

It taking longer is reasonable considering it would have higher stats. Makes perfect sense.

Hoodbury

Eh, I'll live with having to re-level the exotics but the thing I'm hoping changes is Xur's availability. He's only around for 2 days and the 2 days most people go out of town for. If you have weekend plans you're kinda screwed.

Is there any reason not to make him a permanent NPC now? And just have his wares on a weekly timer?

EL CUCO

Y'all didn't want to farm world matts, right?
Well hope you like farming Glimmer.

7000 a pop, per upgrade.
**cues up Exclusion zone**

Wait till they nerf the majors there, too

nowai

Eh, I'll live with having to re-level the exotics but the thing I'm hoping changes is Xur's availability. He's only around for 2 days and the 2 days most people go out of town for. If you have weekend plans you're kinda screwed.

Is there any reason not to make him a permanent NPC now? And just have his wares on a weekly timer?

Agreed. Perm NPC with weekly timers would be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom